[Tue] 24 Sep 2013 (It Works! It Works!)

How we died
dancemoox

[Tue] 24 Sep 2013 (It Works! It Works!)

Post by dancemoox »

Tonight 27 brave comrades dawned tacticool gear and joined in some fun in Tacticool Tuesday!

A3 testing continues and the Party thanks you for patience in the meantime. That said we were able to run a mission successfully from Sunday that produced slideshows for all involved previously.

Missions Tonight were:
  • A2 Lifting The Siege (COOP)- FA reenactment of Omaha Beach
    A2 Elsafi Defence (ADV) - Super and Draakon fight for the village
    A2 A Friend In Need (ADV) - Bluefor has a Black Hawk down spinning and spinning

A3 Morning Sortie (COOP) - Mission runs and the sever doesn't explode and the AI murders us all
    A3 Church of Kerry (ADV) - The cult of Kale lives on!
    A3 Crash Site (ADV) - Bluefor gets on the ground first and wins
    A3 Green Dawn (ADV) - Bluefor wipes out all but one Indi and almost pays the price
Thanks to all that attended for the quick and orderly slotting, I shall teach Tigershark what an enemy strong point looks like on a map whilst you guys post some AAR's!

I shall see you all on Friday for some V+ action! Remember 8pm BST 7pm GMT - Check local variation from GMT.
ramming speed!

Mamuto

Re: [Tue] 24 Sep 2013 (It Works! It Works!)

Post by Mamuto »

A2 Lifting The Siege (COOP) - FA reenactment of Omaha Beach
MAT gunner
Got shot in the head in the first encounter with the mortar team.

A2 Elsafi Defence (ADV) - Super and Draakon fight for the village
SuperU led the team on a brilliant flanking maneuver* around the north east. We engaged contacts almost immediately upon cresting the hill and I got separated from the rest of my fireteam by a guy off to the east lobbing GP's at us. I managed to get to the next compound and stayed there, getting two kills. I then healed up SuperU only to watch him get mercilessly cut down by Draakon seconds later. I ambushed Draakon with a wild spray and pray and somehow managed to kill him. Here's the video!

I would love to hear what happened elsewhere on the battlefield. There was a lot of gunfire and a lot of screaming.
*we got lost and the hills were not kind to us

A2 A Friend In Need (ADV) - Bluefor has a Black Hawk down spinning and spinning
Only reason Bluefor lost this mission is because I died on spawn. Didn't even get to see the light of day, just straight to spectate script. I did get to witness the pretty excellent flanking by the enemy, completely surrounding the compound Bluefor was holed up in. I am also impressed by the fact that they decided to not go through Vybor (in the North) as that seemed to me as the most obvious choice. Wish I was alive for this one.

A3 Morning Sortie (COOP) - Mission runs and the sever doesn't explode and the AI murders us all
B1 FTL
This was a very long and painful mission for me, as I watched a two fireteam strong Bravo dwindle down to nothing but me. Probably could have successfully taken the town but the orders came down for a charge, so I did my duty and was shot in the face. Man, the AI is ruthless in this one. Nothing out of the ordinary, but they don't mess around. I love it!
Only thing I miss from Arma 2 is the downed or injured state. It's really one dimensional right now how you just lose HP when hit until you die. No epic medic saves, no throwing smoke grenades to cover medics healing, no dragging people back... I hope this comes back through either a script or a patch.

A3 Church of Kerry (ADV) - The cult of Kale lives on!
We took our sweet time getting to the church so by the time we got to the town, Kerry was already running for his life. Another pitch black NVG vs no NVG mission... :argh: I evened the odds by having our AT shoot a vehicle. IceRaiser fully capitalized on the extra light source by murderizing six or seven of us. :owned:

A3 Crash Site (ADV) - Bluefor gets on the ground first and wins
Basically what dancemoox said. Nothing really of note.

A3 Green Dawn (ADV) - Bluefor wipes out all but one Indi and almost pays the price[/list]
SO SORRY FOR THE FF GRENADE!! I don't even know what I was thinking. I hopefully made up for it by killing the last Indfor alive! I really liked this mission. What happened to the other Alpha fireteam on Bluefor?

Inverselaw

Post by Inverselaw »

A2 Lifting The Siege (COOP)
A1 FTL

Oh god the blood! the blood! They screamed but I couldn't do anything! They just died! all of them just died!

One minute in and only 6 of us were alive, 5 minutes in we were down to 4 but at least the shooting stopped. we met up with bravo at the mortar and fired a few rounds at the bunker, then we moved in towards the bunker and the rest of us died. Also the first bunker turned out to be a tent, most of the murderous fire actually came from the town.

A2 Elsafi Defence (ADV)
Alpha medic

I healed 2 dudes who tripped climbing up the mountain, then when we arrived and I immediately got shot.

A2 A Friend In Need (ADV)
OPFOR CO

We started off a billion miles away from the convoy, we used our vehicles to try and place a unit south, west and north of the convoy. The plan was to to let BLUFOR approach the convoy and then murder them. However the helicopter arrived way before us and shot me but the placement seems to be good as they murdered blufor when they tried to evac.

thekev506

Post by thekev506 »

My first session in what, 9 months? Good to be back! (Though I was as handy as a chocolate teapot.)

A2 Lifting the Siege - Bravo 2 AT
Baptism by fire. Shot in the boat before we landed, made it up to the first mortar site where half the fireteam was killed. We then tried to push onwards down the hill. I noticed a bunker on the railway, decided I should probably shoot at it, and found out it can shoot at things much better than I can.

A2 Esafi Defence - Bravo(?) AAR
Watch this direction for a while, move to fallback point, dead without even seeing anyone due to one very impressive flank attack. Yup, definitely back.

A2 A Friend In Need - AT
'Contact east!' *dead*
...I think I got a kill this time around, at least.

A3 Morning Sortie - Bravo 1 AT
Just wanted to see how well my rig would handle A3 online for me, and it did surprisingly well, thankfully. Sthud won't play nice for some reason, leaving me scarily blind to what's going on and struggling to keep up with the rest of the fireteam - all that AT gear is heavy. Following the theme of the night I was taken out from afar, but hopefully I can at least be a little more mission ready for next time.
DEINE WUNDERSCHÖNEN AUGEN HEAD
-Wolfenswan

Satire

Post by Satire »

My 2nd FA session, I think I'm starting to get a taste for this!

Lifting The Siege (COOP) - Alpha 2 Rifleman

Oh God, the horror... Our LZ seemed to be about 50 meters east of an enemy stongpoint, so most of us were killed or wounded the first 60 seconds. Still, I like to think we died valiantly and kept fire off of Bravo, even if I got killed to death on the shoreline.

Elsafi Defence (ADV) - OPFOR Alpha 1 Grenadier

Go go Takistani Mountain rangers! After the village turned out to be on a hill and not in a valley, we climbed the biggest damn hill I've ever seen in in Arma. A few people got eaten by the slope but we made it to the top to pull off a completely unexpected flanking attack. A1 went into the right side of the village, on the opposite side from Mamuto's video, half our team got wounded on a risky corner and every time I tried to go and heal them we got rushed and I had to abandon them, sorry guys! Cut down two rushers and spammed GP into a suspicious building until the round ended.

A Friend In Need (ADV) - OPFOR Alpha 1 Grenadier

My fireteam got tasked with holding the enemy at the southern end of the convoy site, then pushing into the compound. As it happened, that compound happened to be full of angry BLUFOR and we took fire, and our FTL and AAR were downed. We then flanked through the dead ground by the bridge coming out at the pond, where BLUFOR were kind enough to land their chopper in the open field 200 meters north of me and Mamba. Naturally, we obliged by shooting the crap out of it, and with the tail rotor gone that was the end for BLUFOR.

Morning Sortie (COOP) - Alpha 1 AR

After two successful adversrials, I continue the tradition of getting mowed down in a Co-op. As we advanced down the road, Alpha was shredded by enemy fire, which tuned out to be a .50 cal technical. Since I was lagging behind thanks to an AR asthma attack I wasn't in the open when it happened, so I could bravely cower behind a tiny stone wall and shoot in the general direction of death. With most of the fireteams dead and ASL not responding I got field promoted to SL, told MMG to fire once I figured out who they had eyes on, tried to find out who else was still up in Alpha and got shot in the head sixty seconds later.

Church of Kerry (ADV) - INDFOR Alpha 1 Rifleman

We snook up on the town, but managed to take so long that Kerry was already on the run by the time we made contact. I ended up getting killed by a grenade at the construction site shortly after we made contact.

Crash Site (ADV) - BLUFOR Alpha 1 AAR

We landed, we saw the crash site, we won. I also nearly FF'ed someone in a panic thinking OFPOR were on our ridge but that can be left out...

Green Dawn (ADV) - INDFOR Alpha 1 AT Rifleman

A1 took up positions east of HQ, but then moved into a building North of it to get better fields of fire. The plan worked, but it did leave me trapped in a building with one exit that faced the enemy, leaving me to get pinned down. I shot the guy who came up the stairs just as he shot me, then settled down to watch the lone rampage of the last INDFOR.
Mr-Link wrote: 7) SATIRE OP plz NERF.

pvtbones

Post by pvtbones »

A3 Morning Sortie (COOP) - A2 (?) AR
had an asthma attack and got shot while trying to advance into a better firing position.

A3 Church of Kerry (ADV) - A1 FTL
It was super dark and super rainy, leaving the safety of the lights of the city we moved east and hunkered down in two buildings at a intersection of the road. we had absolutely no visibility and probably wouldn't of noticed if blufor had moonwalked right by. once the 15 minutes were up our co bolted tasking A2 to follow behind and for us to take a2's position. things got crazy and confusing and I think I killed a blufor and died a few minutes later

A3 Crash Site (ADV) - Blufor CO
I tried to keep the plan simple. Land in the AO and move my two squads into positions on the hill to the west over looking the area and find the crashsite. That plan basically went out the window when we landed and our pilot informed us that the enemy was landing near by. So Plan: Go greet the new neighbors was born. we greeted them nicely, if somewhat unorganized.

A3 Green Dawn (ADV) - Indfor CO
I had one and a half squads to work with (think it was a half anyways) so I ordered A1 to go north of the HQ and set up a firing position. while A2 set up slightly far away to the west with orders to keep a low profile. I hung around the HQ trying to get the infernal UAV to work but had to give up on it when A1 reported contacts. They seemed to have gotten hammered pretty hard so I ordered them to play dead and hope the blufor assumed they got them all and move onward. I think it sort of worked and blufor got slogged down around A1 position. I ordered A2 to try and swing around behind. They came under fire before they could move out and I decided to try and relocate and get a good view on A1's former position. I managed to get Dancemoox but got gunned down shortly after.

Joe Duck

Post by Joe Duck »

This was my 2nd session with the FA group. The previous time I did not have all the settings right in my VON and TS and I did not have StHud installed. This time things went much better on the technical side. Now, on the gameplay side...

Lifting The Siege (COOP) - Alpha 1 AAR
I landed with Alpha and immediately saw people falling around me. I went prone and tried to find the enemy and find wounded guys I could pull away into cover. As soon as I tried to crouch to run east, I was killed. My total time alive on the beach must have lasted a minute or so.
I realised later that I should have deployed smoke, maybe next time I'll do better.

Elsafi Defence (ADV) - OPFOR Alpha 1 AAR
I climbed the hill like a champ and got into town with no problems. I tried to keep close to my Squad's AR so I could feed him bullets, but we ran into a spot where we were both hit. I was healed twice (cheers, Satire!) but was hit again before I could even come into cover again.

A Friend In Need (ADV) - OPFOR Alpha 2 AR
Tired of dying trying to support my AR, I decided to take the AR role myself and let someone else run after me instead. We had been assigned what seemed like a very exposed position, in a bunch of trees in the middle of a field to the east of the crash site. We unloaded from the truck and immediately ran to our positions. It was unfortunate because we did never get there. The enemy took positions right as we were crossing in front of them in a completely exposed field. I died horribly for the third time in a row. This was the first time I actually saw who was shooting at me.

Morning Sortie (COOP) - Alpha 2 AAR
I was very happy to play my first five minutes of Arma 3 in a FA session. I did not have StHud installed or anything so I had to keep track of my squad the old fashioned way. I died trying to reach cover when a technical fired upon us.

Church of Kerry (ADV) - OPFOR Alpha 2 R
We carefully setup a very sneaky position east of town. We tried to turn on the lights of a truck in order to increase our visibility but it did not work and command did not approve of our awesome idea of blowing it up. So we waited prone in the ground under the rain, completely drenched and waiting for lightning flashes to try to see anything.
The enemy, being even more sneaky than expected, decided to attack from the North. When our holy priest had finished his ceremony, we were ordered back into town. We went back and arrived just in time to secure the courtyard around the church. I heard an enemy squad chatting on the other side of the wall and immediately grenades started falling in our courtyard. As we tried to flank them, they tried to flank us and in the resulting firefight I died. But the true religion prevailed, so it was worth it.

Crash Site (ADV) - BLUFOR Alpha 2 AAR
We saw the enemy helicopter landing just as we approached the hill. I started running to the hill and we were able to get there first. My squad was positioned to the south, so it was the closest to the enemy, very close from them. After a brief firefight we won the mission.

Green Dawn (ADV) - INDFOR Alpha 2 AR
Our CO put our squad a little to the northwest of the HQ and we took positions. Although we were careful not to expose ourselves, we were spotted and the enemy proceeded to grenade our position. After surviving that attack, I went out of the house and turned left to move around the house without realising that on my right there was an enemy. he proceeded to shoot me in the back and kill me.

All in all, I can clearly see that I need a lot more experience. I lack situational awareness and in general fail to see enemies until it's too late. I guess I need to play more. :)

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Joe Duck wrote: All in all, I can clearly see that I need a lot more experience. I lack situational awareness and in general fail to see enemies until it's too late. I guess I need to play more. :)
No Joe.. you just need to let the other people die first and then avenge their deaths and reap in all the glory for yourself.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott