[Tue] 03 Dec 2013 (Unto a meat grinder)

How we died
Alex

Re: [Tue] 03 Dec 2013 (Unto a meat grinder)

Post by Alex »

Cratesistance - Alpha 3(Charlie) Rifleman. We were the 'special Squad', tasked with making noise to distract from the main push. We crawled into the town without being spotted and opened fire when the main force did. I was quickly killed by the AI and the rest of the fireteam followed although one of them did manage to take out a cache.

Roundabout - Alpha Medic. I did my best but little could be done as the majority of casualties were dead before they hit the ground. The mission ended with the last of the survivors bleeding into the sand as the enemy closed in around us.

Coastal Road - Bravo 2 FTL. We piled into an AAV and put to sea before turning around and marching up the road. As we reached the AFV, it exploded in front of us and we managed to pull the crew to safety. Homer engaged the tank with little effect, though I did see his round hit. Bravo spent some time moving between islands and eliminating emplacements. I captured a technical and managed to land it on the shore to move it up the road. My fireteam was largely unscathed until the final push where we fell prey to an unseen machine gun.

After Party A3
Air raiders - Gunned down by a force that vastly outnumbered us.
Exothermic reaction - Caught looking the wrong way as an enemy stepped out from cover and killed me.
Builders Dispute - Stripped before the battle started in order to intimidate the enemy. It was successful and we won handily despite heavy losses.
(fake)

Satire

Post by Satire »

Video for Coastal Road is up

Thanks a lot to everyone on the feedback, I'm glad you all enjoyed the mission. As I say, I'd like to see it run with around 40 of us but I've already made a few tweaks and fixes for v2. It should be a bit different in the day since I tried to site the AT positions in ways that would require infantry to clear rather than something the armour can just deal with on their own, although some light fog should help with the whole LAV killing everything in sight problem. That said, it's also quite possible on foot with smaller numbers in the right weather, particularly, since SPGs and ZU-23 are pretty dozy in the fog. The next version will also have an ammo truck with satchels and bullets available so we don't have to loot of corpses half way in.

There was actually meant to be a stronger counter-attack after Kamyshovo was taken, but some of the vehicles went missing and the infantry platoon to support them only showed up when IFV was bringing the Amtrac back through the village! Also, is there any way to set the availability of NVG's to be a mission parameter?
Mr-Link wrote: 7) SATIRE OP plz NERF.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Satire wrote:Also, is there any way to set the availability of NVG's to be a mission parameter?
There is indeed. Create a new parameter (if not familiar with it, it's one of those code blocks, to insert somewhere in the class Params of the Description.ext:

Code: Select all

// ============================================================================================

class f_param_nvg
        {
                title = "NVG";
                values[] = {0,1};
                texts[] = {"Off","On"};
                default = 0;
                code = "Sat_nvgOn = %1";
        }; 
Then in your folk_assignGear_usmc.sqf, find this line (110)

_unit addweapon "NVGoggles"; 
Replace with a value dependant on your parameter:

if (Sat_nvgOn == 1) then {_unit addweapon "NVGoggles";};
Should do the trick!
edit: just thought about it, insert that parameter at least after the two first ones, as the description.ext states that their order shouldn't be changed.
Last edited by Black Mamba on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Homercleese

Post by Homercleese »

Sorry chaps, exams coming up and don't have much time for my AAR's which, you might be surprised or appalled to learn (considering the high/low quality), take me bloody ages to write.

Just wanted to ask a question of Alpha FTLs for Roundabout. It was my first time taking a SL slot from the beginning which actually required some significant SLing so I was hoping to get your opinions.
I know I was slow to initially put down markers and the ones that I did put down weren't exactly crystal clear. Same goes for my instructions, got a bit tongue tied trying to relay my own movement plan and how it related to the markers ("Alpha move to Alpha marker, Alpha get cover... No, A1 get cover at the rocks halfway to A1 marker, NO!, Alpha marker").

So sorry about that. Anything else you noticed? Feel that I haven't sufficiently highlighted my marking and communicative failings? Or just that I should never SL again, FTLing is bad enough? Or would you like to berate me for failing to notice for upwards of several minutes that one of my FTs was completely wiped out, pretty much instantaneously (Sorry Penney and all brave members of A1. Alas I never knew your names!) And finally to Draakon and A2. I don't know what I could've done to help in the end but regardless, I failed you.

But at least I bled with you.

Oh and Super? I'm actually very disappointed with you. I definitely did not give you permission to die that early. Plus you left poor Guus all on his own. He went a bit mad and ran off up the eastern hill.

P.S.
Satire, acting as B2 AT was a really good way to unwind after the high stress of command. Really good fun, keep it up. Grunt work, FTLing, SLing, COing, shining an investigative light onto the most shadowy of battles in the agrarian revolution, mission making.... giggling like a madman at the sight of friendly LAVs exploding. Is there anything this man can't do?

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Wolf pointed out that the method mentioned before can't work with the latest F2. So basically move that assign brefing line at the end of your init.sqf.

Guus

Post by Guus »

I do not have time to post an entire AAR, but i do have time to post these screenshots: