[Sat] 12 Apr 2014 [V+] Operation Coathanger

How we died
dancemoox

[Sat] 12 Apr 2014 [V+] Operation Coathanger

Post by dancemoox »

Tonight we peaked at 29 players and new levels of PTSD!

Missions tonight were:
  • Junction City - Nam
  • South of the River - Celle
  • Cache and Carry - Clafgan
  • Capraia Raid - Capraia
  • Random Engagements - Celle
  • CHazarLO - Hazar
  • Infection Chernarus - Chernarus
  • Outpost Bean - Chernarus
Please take note, V+ is Saturday weekly now, no Friday session going forward. Just Saturday usual time usual place :D

As ever please post your recollections below, mission feedback is always welcome as are some new Advisarials!
ramming speed!

Satire

Re: [Sat] 12 April [V+] Operation Coathanger

Post by Satire »

Mr-Link wrote: 7) SATIRE OP plz NERF.

dancemoox

Post by dancemoox »

Some German holiday snaps!

Rattler in need of some repair

3K to glory!
ramming speed!

LJay

Post by LJay »

Junction City
A grenadier in a random fireteam - probably should've written these down.

After having our AR replaced by a magic spotter bot, we headed into the jungle. After a while of admiring the fuck all we were seeing all around us, the shrubs opened fire, things started exploding and eventually we ran out and the mission ended. 0 enemies spotted, 0 shots fired.
As some people said during the mission, vanilla AI just doesn't care about foliage, so we were basically against T-900 Terminators.

South of the River
A2 AT, I believe. Team Penney.

It started swimmingly enough. We advanced towards the first town though the woods despite some audio balance issues I realized I was having (The wind was almost enough to overpower any ACRE comms, and @ACEX_SM wasn't exactly helping, either) and the loss of a fireteam member.
Then the lights went out again. We seemed to lose Tanman24 somewhere along the way, no idea how or what actually happened. Having gained in-game control of the squad he was alive but not moving, possibly disconnected but not kicked out by the server. From there on out it was various cases of receiving unexpected fire from the darkness and generally feeling like everything's in disarray. Lord Penney seemed to have a clue, though, and did a good job herding me into the next objective and the mission's eventual desync.
Took a moment to scope at the Moon for no reason.

Cache and Carry
AAR in an Alpha fireteam. The specifics don't really matter, the Alpha part already says everything.

Manned the turret of the leading HMMWV that took Alpha to the South of the town while Bravo made a head on assault. What happened next was a long string of "TAKING FIRE" "TAKING FIRE" "TAKING FIRE" "TAKING FIRE" "TAKING FIRE" "TAKING FIRE" because I don't know of a voice stop mod for A2. The fireteam and MAT who rode along bailed out and started throwing smokes while I oppressed suppressed the defenders by generally being a giant bullet magnet for small arms fire.
After a clean headshot by the locals, my fireteam declared me dead and proceeded to reverse the HMMVW over Alpha squad leader. :suicide:

Capraia Raid
A2 or 3 AT

Not much to say about this one. We moved into contact, and some minutes later we were all slowly crawling backwards as everyone was slowly being wounded while trying to heal other wounded people. That's just about all I managed to gather from the mission.

And that was all from me. Being my first V+ session I have to say ACRE added a lot to comms of all kinds and it's a bit of a shame the main sessions are 100% vanilla. I also feel that having fireteams of six instead of four would help strengthen and reduce the amount of moving parts which would help with leadership issues in sessions. You're probably not very eager to change what has worked for years, though, and I'm not exactly hostile against it either. A team of four just becomes very vulnerable when shit hits the fan.

WrathzRevenge

Post by WrathzRevenge »

Cache and Carry:

How you all went and got shot and expected to be healed is beyond me.

The Invisible SPAAG by Issus
"Homer: Wrathz, I order you to find that vehicle, and destroy it with the telekinetic abilities gifted to you by your extreme rage!
Wrathz: I'll try, but we're getting fuckin' destroyed out here!"

Satire

Post by Satire »

Junction City - Lunch-box 2 Gunner

After sorting out some initial comms issues with my driver (Mic mute buttons should be sent to hell) we set off behind the infantry at what we though was a safe distance.

Well it turns out that driving though the jungle at night is bad for three reasons. First, you can't see shit. Second you need to stay close to the infantry so your spotlights can illuminate the jungle for them. Third, turning the lights on make you a huge ass target for opportunistic RPG gunners.

All the combine rather quickly and our lunch-box caught an RPG round, knocking us out. Luckily both me and Denel got out alive and began the search for weapons and bad men to shoot them at. Stumbling up a hill I managed to find a dead dude who just happened to be the bastard who blew up my ride (RPG-18 with no ammo) so I stole his AK and immediately got shot by something, possibly something American.

A short crawl to help later and I was back on my feet and reunited with my Driver. As we fell back to make an LZ I shot some EI running in front of a friendly. Having just seen a dude with an AK kill someone in front of his eyes he put two and two together to make five and shot me dead. This did however let me see dancemoox have an epic hissy so it wasn't all bad!

South of the River - A4 FTL

After our brief in the Big Manly Arms we loaded up and headed south. As part of team two our job was to flail around blindly in the enemy occupied forests the briefing told us to avoid. :siiigh:

I can't remember too much since it was too dark, but highlight included calling in a fire mission on some shady looking types in a bush, Penney's steadfast refusal to use the radio and communicate instead by yelling and killing an enemy transformer (It's a BMP-2, It's a BTR-90, it's a tank, it's a BRDM, it's a bird, it's a plane!) while it was in it's vulnerable BTR-70 stage. Maybe daytime would a be a bit less sadistic than night?

Cache and Carry - B1 AT

So this turned out to be a lot more deadly than anticipated. At least I wasn't in Bravo!

We managed to find and blow one of the caches, as well as constantly attract bullets from hidden enemies. I was one of the lucky three that survived to the end and uncovered the site of Alphas mass grave, securing it for the skip driver burial party.

Maybe a few less dudes are in order for the next iteration, the terrain seems to make them A3 levels of deadly.

Capraia Raid - CO

Highlights include:

- Me failing to read the map, think we were moving along a raised road with verges, not a mountain cutting.
- Our Chinese whispers method of Forward Observer communication.
- Shell fucking everything!
- "Fire mission, 2 HE on point broken arrow. Expect transmissions to Cease. God save the Queen"

Random Engagements - OPFOR A1 AT

I spend most of this skulking in the big metal shed, snuck round and shot a dude then got mowed down myself.
Mr-Link wrote: 7) SATIRE OP plz NERF.

gamma_gandalph

Post by gamma_gandalph »

Some footage survived the Capraia Raid...

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

LJay wrote:What happened next was a long string of "TAKING FIRE" "TAKING FIRE" "TAKING FIRE" "TAKING FIRE" "TAKING FIRE" "TAKING FIRE" because I don't know of a voice stop mod for A2.
Try switching your ''Radio'' volume down in A2 audio settings, should do the trick.

LJay wrote: I also feel that having fireteams of six instead of four would help strengthen and reduce the amount of moving parts which would help with leadership issues in sessions. You're probably not very eager to change what has worked for years, though, and I'm not exactly hostile against it either. A team of four just becomes very vulnerable when shit hits the fan.
The reason for this is that each leader has to worry about 3 elements (attachments and other goodies not included). So the FTL worries about his 3 boots, the SL worries about his 3 FTL's and the CO worries about his 3 SL's. Rule of threes, if you like.

Sometimes I also wish the FT's had a bit more punch individually, but they are not really meant to operate on their own, the SL should always send his squad together, so when shit hits the fan, there would be someone to support them.

I hope you understood my ramblings :zoidberg:
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

LJay

Post by LJay »

Kefirz wrote:
LJay wrote:What happened next was a long string of "TAKING FIRE" "TAKING FIRE" "TAKING FIRE" "TAKING FIRE" "TAKING FIRE" "TAKING FIRE" because I don't know of a voice stop mod for A2.
Try switching your ''Radio'' volume down in A2 audio settings, should do the trick.
:siiigh: I can't believe I didn't think of this.

But yeah, I gotcha. At the end of the day it falls on the SL to keep his shit together. I was just thinking that it would probably be easier to do so if there was less shit to keep together.

Denel

Post by Denel »

Some highlights and the majority of Outpost Bean below:

For Reza our leaders, for Neocron the party, for the people...