[Sun] 15 January 2012

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • Ambush at Topolka
  • Unreachable
  • Belenus
  • Vanguard
  • Cocktails
It's funny, but perhaps understandable after last week's epic 64-player joint session, that tonight felt quiet even with around 20 comrades on the server. Still, thank you to all who came along. We enjoyed 3 new missions tonight, which is fantastic - so a special thank you to comrades Nullkigan and Wolfenswan for creating new content for the sessions.

:v:

Now, a few friendly reminders and requests. Folk hosts and mission makers invest a lot of personal time making these sessions as interesting and high quality as possible, and return we ask very little of guests (we don't ask you to train, or pre-qualify, or download addon packs). However, if only out of courtesy to your fellow guests, I'd like to ask you all to please observe the following points:
  • Show up on time: Aside from special events, the sessions always start at 19:30 UK and we issue a Steam event for members of the Folk Steam group. Rolling in 5 minutes late isn't fair on the guests who were ready to slot at the advertised hour.
  • Read the briefing: You may not be the CO or even an element leader, but everyone should know the key facts (like where the extraction point is).
  • Be ready to the take command of your element: In a standard fireteam the succession goes: FTL > AR > AAR > RPG. If you find yourself in charge of your element, don't panic; just inform command. If you have a morbid fear of any kind of leadership, always take the RPG slot!
  • Element leaders, be ready to the take command of the platoon: In a normal Folk platoon the succession goes: CO > DC > Alpha FTL > Bravo FTL and so on; for FTLs the emphasis is on original FTLs - so if Alpha FTL is a battlefield promotion and Bravo FTL is an original, Bravo takes platoon. It's not acceptable to shirk this duty if it falls to you - none of us will care if your plan is terrible, but leaving the platoon to become a pubbie-style blob isn't okay. If you want to try being an FTL, but have a morbid fear of leading the platoon, head for the Charlie and Delta FTL slots.
  • When you die, don't talk (not even to tell us you're dead): It's very simple. Please don't do this. It deprives us of the joy of repeating your name over TS3, until our voices are choked by tears and another comrade is forced to shout: "He's dead! He's DEAD, YOU HEAR? HE'S NEVER COMING BACK! DAMN THIS WAR!" before sobbing uncontrollably.
Lastly, everything you need to know can be found in the ArmA2: Need to Know section of this forum. You don't need an account to access that area, and it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to read all of the threads. If you still have questions, please feel free to reach out to me and the other hosts during the week and we'll do out best to help you get set up for the Folk sessions.

Thanks for your co-operation, comrades.

Bushcat

Re: [Sun] 15 January 2012

Post by Bushcat »

Whoops

Apologies for being late. I also feel i should apologise for not knowing about the battlefield promotion
chain of command.Alpha got bumped by a patrol and U.A.Z within a minute of arriving at our second way point.
After 3 seconds of gunfire all was silent.I admit to legging it through the trees!
After falling back to Bravos position as the only surviving member of Alpha ft, i wasnt sure if Alpha technically still existed..
I also got lost,missed the R.V point, and ended up with (i think)the Mortar Team!
Our Glorious charge ended badly for me when i attempted to liberate some R.P.G's for the cause.
The next game v.s the Brits went better.Managed some first aid and rooftop A.R support as the base was infiltrated.
After stealing about 15 satchels we bugged out in a stolen landie, only to lose my internet connection..
Not my best night :roll:

kataras

Post by kataras »

Not my best night either...

During Ambush at Topolka, I was not sure where to place the charges, as I could not read the map correctly. I did however go back and re-locate it to where it was supposed to be. Then I got shot twice from unseen enemies and the second time just bled out while watching another 2 teammates doing the same.

In Unreachable, having received orders from Null to locate the armour and destroy it before it opens up on the team, I did just the opposite... While trying to actually spot it, it opened up, killed 2 of us before my eyes. I fired the RPG but have no idea if it hit the target or not. After spending 10-15 minutes being confused, I received the only order that made sense: to charge. I did so and thought I would actually reach the hangars as no one seemed to have noticed me, until I was shot and bled out in the field.

In Belenus, I was suddenly promoted to FTL when head left abruptly, but I had to disconnect and quit the game 3 minutes in. Apologies for that, it was not planned.

For my miserable performance I officially blame the weather, it's gone into minus here and my Mediterranean body cannot take it.

harakka

Post by harakka »

The convoy ambush at Topolka dam was spot on, and here's the proof (never mind the following death by counterattack):
Me and him, we're from different ancient tribes. Now we're both almost extinct. Sometimes you gotta stick with the ancient ways, the old school ways. I know you understand me.

Capernatious

Post by Capernatious »

In Unreachable, I took the role of assistant AT gunner on myself. I figured it would be a nice change from taking Fire Team slots. Quazi was the AT gunner. We were ordered to advance to the CO marker, and off we went, at a steady running pace.

After reaching the marker we receiver orders to join Bravo Squad. And off we were again, through the forests, ducking and hiding behind trees. On our way there we heard Alpha Squad getting slaughtered over the comms, and then heard shouts of ‘Technical straight ahead of Bravo!’. I almost died of fright, but opened up fire. Let’s just say the pigs driving that thing didn’t stand a chance.

We were then positioned on a hill overlooking the airfield, where two shilkas were driving around, threatening to tear Bravo squad apart. Several RPGs were fired, and the first shilka was taken out. Then Quazi took a bullet to the skull and went down hard just as he was asking me for extra rockets. I had to crawl to his body to loot his launcher, after which I used some of Bravo squad as a meat shield while aiming at the remaining shilka, which was driving down the airfield from my left to my right.

This was my first ever attempt at firing an RPG. Aiming at the shilka, I followed it until it stopped. Then turned. I crossed my fingers and pulled the trigger. The rocket flew away, and seconds later the shilka was no more.

That feeling of victory was short-lived, as it became clear that the majority of the entire team was decimated, including the higher ups, bless their souls. We were told to just charge the airfield and attempt to blow up the helicopters. Running down the hillside rambo-style, I made it as far as the leftmost hangar before I got shot from behind. I went down, but I wasn’t dead yet. I had to crawl into the hangar and have someone patch me up, after which I realised I could no longer feel my legs. Oh the horror! The three remaining others were planning to leg it out of there, but then decided to take a vehicle. Thank Guevara!

I mounted the gun (I ignored the fact that my legs were useless, and stood up behind that gun like a boss) and we drove to the hiding place, feeling slightly victorious.

DarkTatka

Post by DarkTatka »

Comrade DarkTatka, did Folksessions somehow get even more awesome in 2012?

From the looks of it, yeah. They certainly did.