[Sun] 27 May 2012 (EBass betrays us all)

How we died
fer

[Sun] 27 May 2012 (EBass betrays us all)

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • Unreachable
  • Fritz Frenzy
  • Nightblind
  • Crateresistance
  • Cholo
Comrades ... I want ... I want to tell you about the fact that our playercount was around 40(!) .... and about how we had many new and excellent comrades join the struggle tonight (welcome!) .... and about how we fared in a bumper session that saw us play 5 missions over 3 enjoyable hours. Comrades, I want to tell you all of these things, and perhaps tomorrow I shall. Tonight, however, I can barely type through my tears. I speak, of course, of that incident that has brought shame to every comrade, to the whole of the Third International Fighting Brigade of Takistan in the name of Che Guevara, and to the Party.

I speak, of course, of the fact that comrade EBass, whilst in command of the platoon, ordered a retreat.

I have no emoticon.

Except, perhaps, this one ...

:commissar:

PS Thank you to all comrades, old and new, that came along tonight to make up a superb session. Also thanks to comrade Tigershark for operating the server controls. Tickets for EBass' execution can be purchased online from Monday. Why not bring your own AK to join in the firing squad fun?

x25killa

Re: [Sun] 27 May 2012 (EBass betrays us all)

Post by x25killa »

Unreachable

HMG. Made it to the marking on the map, heard some gunfire, some comrades died, set up machine gun tripod with Kefriz, bad location, decided to move up, after a couple minutes of fumbling around, set up placement near a stone half wall, fired off some rounds with Kefriz giving me excellent coordination into the airfield, fired all 300 boolets, joined forces with the squads nearby, Commander told us to command the MTVRs, my comrade wanted to fire his shiny RPG into the hind, he did, was happy, picked up some other comrades, left the area and completed the mission.

Very enjoyable mission, would do again but in night.

Fritz Frenzy

In charge of Charlie Squad, I didn't have whisper setted up to commander on teamspeak so Delta's leader mike helped out. Took the green camo humvee, managed to head the wrong direction, made a U-turn and kept following the markers on map. All of sudden, got shot out of no where and I didn't have time to mark the position I was.

Leader markers were broken in this mission. I fucked up as a leader as well. My bad fault squad.

Nightblind

MAT. I really enjoy this mission. We followed Delta and Charlie up in them mountains, shooting any enemies we see, managed to score some kills, gave my rockets to my comrade Kefirz. SPG trucks spotted us and proceeded to fire rockets. We couldn't make it a clear target and before you know it, SPG rocket took out most of Delta and my comrade Kefirz. I scream out for a medic in the side channel, even mark the position. But alas, I passed away.

Crateresistance

Adversarial. Commander of the Indy coffee shops. We had to defend Cache A and Cache B from the enemy. Ordered myself, Alpha and medic to defend cache B, Bravo and Charlie to cache A. I turned around, turns out there were MTVRs! Changed the orders: myself, Alpha and Medic to defend cache A. Bravo and Charlie to defend cache B. We drove to the caches, our time was up so ordered the men to disembark and walk to the caches. Everyone was in a good position and was very quiet for a good 10 minutes.

Then I had a crazy idea. I decided to be the bait. I told everyone to hold ground and if I should die, the medic takes over (Tigershark). So I went west towards a house, spotted some enemies, dive into the front of the house and fired off some rounds. Managed to injure someone, but no one perished. Harlander scored his first kill on me. Tigershark took over command and bloody hell, he was amazing. He managed to score 9 kills and defend the caches.

Cholo

Charlie Leader, saw a car near me, took it, picked up comrades, dropped them off at the marker set by commander Unaco and then drove the car around as a distraction. Draakon ordered me to shine lights into the heavy defended building and so I did. Abandon the car, using VON to distract the enemy and won the game.

Overall, a good session but I did managed to screw up on the second mission, Fritz Frenzy. That mission had no lead markers so making it hard to figure out where the bloody hell I was. Same for 3rd mission, nightblind.

mike

Post by mike »

Unreachable

I was Delta FTL, and head was Charlie and section leader. We were tasked with securing the south of the Olsha hill. A bad choice of firing position, on my part, got 2 teammates wounded, but we got out ok. Later we went even further south and I decided to use my team to secure head's southern flank while he could focus on the west (airfield). After a few minutes of watching empty space enemies started popping up close on that southern flank. After some intermittent contacts on that flank a grenade made its way onto my lap, and that was the end of that...

Fritz Frenzy

I led team 4, and killa was team 3 and section leader. Wolfenswan offered to drive for me so I could focus on CC and play/browse on the map. Half a minute later I realized the unit markers were moving the wrong way :mrgreen:
After we got that navigation mishap out of the way we followed the convoy to the ksk OP, somehow lost team 3 along the way, and charged that OP in our HMMWV. We covered the northern sector while command realized he forgot to bring a truck to bring the germans back. A few minutes later we somehow solved the logistical problems (I think?) and the order was given to go back home.
I think we were the only team that managed to made it back.

Nightblind

This was a fun mission. I led Delta once again, and had draakon as my section leader. We were supposed to go up the hills and shoot shit from there. We did pretty well, until the enemy answered our bullets with RPG's. I tried to do my best with talking the team onto targets and I believe we had some pretty good effect. Not long after that RPG's started piling into Charlie's position which was just a bit higher than us and they got completely wiped out. We coordinated fire on those RPG sources again and after a while it quieted down. Eventually we got off the hills and were ordered to fix the tank which ran over a mine. After the tank got fixed the tank driver drove forward 1m and another mine exploded, killing the tank and me as well...

Enjoy the sight of flying RPGs. Most of the speech of me talking my team onto targets was on ts3, so there's speech missing as I was capturing VOIP instead.

Crateresistance

I decided to pop my cherry and lead my first folk mission. The plan was easy: guns are good, more guns are better, so no ninja shit and keep us all together so we can all support each other. Ill spare you the details about our approach, but when we got into contact we totally got wasted. I was hoping we would severely outnumber and outdo the humans defending the cache with our combined firepower (since they would have to split up between 2 caches) but that didn't happen... Tigershark totally obliterated my teams on his own and the mission was pretty much done after his moment of brilliance with his AK.
I think the plan was ok, but it just didn't work out for some reason.

Cholo

Draakon's a ninja.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

My first session with Folk! Thanks to all of you for the great deal of fun, and to the hosts for a well oiled session!

Unreachable

Alpha team AR. Good lead from Fer, we pretty much advanced without exposing our position that much, ended up in a good position over the airfield, waited for the shilkas to be disabled and engaged the few guys remaining here and there. A few contacts again while taking position inside the airfirld behind a disabled shilka, fer got shot by some surprise contacts from the other side of the airfield, patched up and extraction to the trucks. Fireteam didn't suffer any casualties.

Fritz frenzy

Alpha team AR. We got into the lead humvee, and you know you can't see a damn thing from the passenger seat of those. So i basically didn't even notice the total chaos going on behind us, occupied that i was to try and scan the front and right sides of my humvee. At some point we came under light fire, disembarked behind the cover of some rocks, and started moving up buddy teams bounding style. Eventually we ended up just above a group of enemies, Draakon (FTL) got shot, i dragged him to cover to realize he was dead. Now we had three newbies in the same fireteam, and i was supposedly in charge. Well. Let's say i did lack of initiative, we saw two friendly trucks move out, finally decided to move to regroup with another fireteam, took machinegun fire right when i popped up, and died. Nicely done, i really was lost in the plan, need to listen more carefully next time. And set up my commander channel anyway.

Nightblind

Charlie team engineer. We were tasked with covering the north side of the road, alongside with Delta and MAT, i believe. We did, until the point when we started taking volleys of RPGs. Draakon (team leader) died pretty soon, i got his RPK immediately and started trying to lay some suppressive fire on the spg-9s. As nobody actually did take command in our fireteam, i tried to move down and rejoin with delta, ate a rocket on the way. Great fun after that watching the guys trying to interact with mines. And the retreat.

Crateresistance

Charlie team rifleman, NAPA. Took quite a long time to find a proper organization. I ended up hidden in a tree, covering the west side of cache B. At some point we started to hear shots comin from the cache A. We were ordered to regroup with Tigershark. We actually never did, and as he tried to flank the bad folks, we were setting up an ambush down the hill. I saw one guy moving towards the cache B, he had the great idea to skyline himself quite properly. Shot him, took a round somehow, lightly injured. Then the round ended.

Cholo
I'll quote mike: I think the plan was ok, but it just didn't work out for some reason.
I shot fer in the face. Somebody thought i'd be intelligent enough to understand we had friendlies comin from the other side of the corridor. Bad plan.
Then somebody called "first floor clear". Allthough i knew it couldn't be, i just walked there, said hello to a pump, died.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Unreachable

I was MAT gunner. As we approached the airfield together with Delta we were suprised by enemies who promptly took care of my assistant, bodge. Deciding I shouldn't be at the frontlines like the regular grunts I decided it was time for a tactical relocation and sprinted away, just to be shoot in the face (not the back mind you, obviously I was relocating with my face still turned to the enemy like it should be)

Fritz Frenzy

I was with Delta and the designated driver at the beginning. We had some tight spots but managed to survive, arriving shortly after the after fireteams at the OP. We dispatched of more bad man while waiting for the retreat, loosing more good Americans just to save some "special" krauts. Alas, we finally retreated with one KSK guy in cargo and made if safely to base (driving over a lone Takistani on the way). Apparently we were the only FT with the brilliant idea to take the same way home we had taken before because we were the only squad that made it back to the FOB :v:

Nightblind

The first mission I ever made had long lay dormant as it's first iterations were deemed "too hard","unfair" or "oh god everyone is dying oh god i don't want to be a hero". Naturally I didn't change anything in that regard as player's tears are the very essence of FOLK (that and virgin tears if you are a certain striped deep sea predator). Instead I simply automated the flares instead of having them player controlled so everyone could focus on shooting and dying.

Leading Fox we were put on a hill without cover. After MMG ate a rocket literally 5m away from me (hilariously blasting his body into the stratosphere) I decided we wouldn't give our lives that easily and formed up with the other squads down the valley. Being the badass squad we are, we kept pushing in front of everyone else, stacking at the military compound wall. Despite some injuries we managed to stay alive long enough to have the other squads catch up with us. Once inside the compound however, I heard the characteristic sound of a Lee-Enfield and the bullet ricocheting near me. When I tried to locate the shooter in the darkness, his second bullet took me out.

Watching the vehicles explode and the shameful retreat was fun however.

I'll be fixing up the map markers and tweak some minor stuff.

zitron

Post by zitron »

My first session with Folk as well!

Unreachable

I got shot hidding in the grass with Charlie and Delta after we charged in from the north with very little cover. I think we all died.

Fritz frenzy

I got shot while manning the machine gun on a HMMWV with killa right at the start.

Nightblind

Our tank drove over two mines, I was revived, and probably will have been shot if we didn't retreat! The coaxial MG in the T34 is terrible, one guys ran away after I shot him 3 times!

Crateresistance

After some waiting and our Apha FLT falling off some rocks, I got shot by return fire while trying to ambush cache B.

Cholo

I got shot while trying to reload my shotgun on the first floor. It was hilarious at the start with the gangs driving around shooting randomly!

Thanks for a great time!

fer

Post by fer »

Unreachable

Alpha FTL: Fer
|- AR: Black Mamba
|- AAR: Unaco
|- RPG: F1yer

As Alpha FTL I led the A/B squad, tasked initially with being the centre of the platoon's front. Our start line was up on the hill north-east of the airstrip, in the tree line, from where we were supposed to give covering fire to C/D and E/F as they enveloped the the enemy positions from south and north respectively.

Bravo was first to its position, and came under fire before I got Alpha on line with them. Engaged earlier than planned, our platoon scrambled to its designated positions and attempted to return fire in volume. It was frantic stuff, especially when an enemy UAZ drove up the hill track, almost onto our position. A crackle of gunfire from my fireteam finished the crew before they could open up on us, but by this point Bravo was already calling for medical help. Falling back from our positions in some trees a little way down the hillside, we returned to give aid to Bravo, linking up with the platoon medic. Around us, the other squads were moving forward rapidly, and I was conscious that A/B was failing to provide the expected covering fire.

When the 3 survivors in Bravo were patched up, Alpha returned to the advance, bounding between groups of trees on the hillside, slowly making our way to the flat ground. Behind us, Bravo had commandeered the enemy UAZ, turning the terrible force of its grenade launcher on the enemy. Still we lagged a little (though we were engaging targets on the airstrip all the while), and when I spotted men from C/D below us on the flat, I hurried to place all of A/B at the fence line.

With Bravo rolling just behind us, we moved along the airstrip perimeter's northern track, engaging sporadic infantry targets all the way. Finally, with the hangars less than 300m away, we turned in and ran for the cover of a burnt out Shilka on the apron. With my AR and AAR covering us, I moved ahead with my RPG man to check out the huge structures. Satisfied that no further enemies lurked by the Mi-24s, we co-ordinated with the CO to get all other elements clear and began the methodical task of rocketing the helicopters.

Just after the second Hind had been destroyed, I was looking south towards the raised berm beyond the hangars. Against the white of the sky, a head popped up, then shoulders and a gun. It was no more than a silhouette, and for a long moment I just stared, wondering why C/D's men were out there. Then a shot felled me and everything went red. I called out the contacts, then became aware of someone dragging me.

The platoon got the enemy stragglers, and I was patched up in time to get my fireteam aboard a waiting truck. With Bravo bouncing along behind in its gun-truck, we headed out to the extraction point and victory. Congratulations to comrade commander Draakon.

:clint:

++

Fritz Frenzy

Alpha 5 FTL: Fer
|- Unaco / Pirate / ???

After the initial confusion of assigning vehicles and realisation that group map markers were absent, I have to commend comrade StrangLove for getting the US Army platoon into a robust little column. With every driver simply following the dust cloud ahead of him, almost the complete platoon managed to snake its way along the valleys and rough terrain to the start of a green zone west of the KSK position.

Having avoided anticipated contacts on the main road to the KSK, we had made good speed. However, at the edge of this green zone we faltered: we came under fire and several vehicles stopping to engage the enemy, breaking the momentum of the advance. The CO was calling out for us to ignore the enemy and drive through the contact, and as leader of 5/6 I exhorted my drivers to push on to the KSK position at full speed.

We made it, 6's gun truck reaching the KSK perimeter first. As we scrambled out of the vehicles and behind the German sandbags, I tasked 6 with manning the western wall and my own fireteam, 5, with the south. As the rest of the platoon streamed in we gradually created a 360 degree coverage and fairly soon the enemy's fire had been reduced to sporadic contacts from the west.

There now followed some kind of logistical nightmare for comrade commander StrangLove, as he struggled to organise survivors and surviving rescuers into the limited number of vehicles. Meanwhile, the enemy fire had only partially abated, and 6 lost its FTL. In the frantic minutes that followed, I tried to organise the extraction of the remaining members of 5/6. Alas, I took a bullet to the head and was killed instantly before completing this task.

Despite the issue with the map markers, I really enjoyed this mission with greater numbers - the feeling when we reached the KSK position and joined in their frantic defence was really great!

Note: As mentioned in the session, when there are lots of vehicles at our disposal, the CO needs to diligently assign them to squads / elements at the start, so there is no confusion. Mission makers can also help by either placing elements next to their vehicles in an unambiguous way, or by starting the troops already in their designated transports. No critcism of comrades Stanglove and Tigershark - this is the kind of issue that only becomes apparent as our numbers climb. It's a great problem to have!

++

Nightblind

Alpha FTL: Fer
|- AR: AstuteCat
|- AAR: Ansob
|- RPG: Pirate

In real life, I often enjoy a beer and some light hearted political banter with comrades AstuteCat and Ansob (I'm always trying to persuade comrade Ansob to stop being such a reactionary capitalist running dog). So it was great to lead them to their deaths.

Alpha began in the forefront of the attack, charged with moving down the roadside to the south, in parallel with comrade Headspace's Bravo to our north. Behind us, armoured elements and attachments brought headlights and firepower, whilst high up to our flanks, C/D and E/F (escorting MMG and MAT teams) provided top cover for our advance. Somewhere in a nearby compound, comrade Egg was preparing to unleash some deadly map-clicking on the enemy. Apart from the fact that I could barely see my own hands, and the illumination rounds were giving the landscape the feeling of a red light street in Amsterdam, everything was set up for success!

We surged forward, taking the first few compounds with ease. The new, automatic illumination rounds allow element leaders to focus on the advance (instead of launching flares), and I think this was reflected in the early pace of our advance. Still, the enemy was by no means passive, and a lively exchange of fire was to be seen across the length of the valley.

At the second or third compound (and the last one for us before the town itself), I managed to shoot comrade Ansob by accident. Hands quivering with shock, I ran to his prone body to see if I could save him. I'd have happily cast aside my disgust at his Daily Mail habit and give him the kiss of life (or at least allow comrade Tigershark to do it), if only to make up for my terrible mistake. Thankfully, comrade Ansob was alive, and required only a bit of bandaging and the promise of a drink by way of compensation. So we stacked up at the next doorway and prepared to advance into no man' land.

We made it as far as some rocks when the rocket streaked past us, flying meters above the tarmac, following the grey ribbon right up to the nose of the M113. Bang.

I called out for comrade commander EBass, and was relieved to hear he was okay. More rockets were streaking away from the town, slamming into the hillsides near our flank elements. Comrade Ansob was still in need of medical attention, comrade AstuteCat had crawled forward to get a better view of the enemy positions. I was hesitating, calling the medic up when instead I should have either pressed forward, away from the open ground, or fallen back to the compound.

A rocket delivered the harshest possible lesson: all my men dead around me. There was only one thing left to do, and I began to run at the enemy town, hoping that perhaps I could reach a wall and provide some covering fire to the other advancing elements. A man on a rooftop cut me down as I neared the first set of buildings.

Later, in death, I watched in horror as comrade EBass issued that order.

Oh EBass, why?

Why?

:argh:

Party Announcement: Reports that comrade EBass was ordered to retreat by a ranking Party official (who later disavowed all knowledge of such an order) are incorrect. The Party is saddened to learm of these accusations, and sadder still to learn that comrade EBass has quite clearly succumbed to mental illness. Arrangements have been made for comrade EBass to convalesce at a Party facility. No estimate has been given for his rehabilitation by Party doctors.

++

Crateresistance

Medic: Fer

Comrade Mike's plan was based on a sound principle: guns are good, more is better. Concentrating our force in a sequential assault on the two caches should have given us superior - and decisive - firepower at each point. However, plans are only ever part of the story, and now I am reminded of that Woody Allen joke: if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

From our starting location, comrade commander Mike had all elements move north until we were level with the Alpha cache. Wheeling right until we faced east, the platoon crossed a road in organised fashion: fireteams crossing in sequence whilst others provided overwatch. In the distance, we could hear the snap of gunfire, but comrade Mike's orders were clear: this was just the enemy firing speculative shots and we were not to be drawn into revealing our position.

On the eastern side of the road we entered woods on a slope. Here, the platoon adopted a wedge formation, Alpha in the lead, Bravo to the left, Charlie to the right. Delta, under comrade Headspace, was to bring up the rear, but an accident of navigation had brought his men across the road a little further south, near some buildings. A lone enemy gunman was waiting, and our first contact was made.

As the only medic, I had been hovering near the centre of the platoon wedge, but now I ran south to tend to any casualties in Delta. At least one person needed patching up, but not seriously. Behind us, comrade Mike was getting A/B/C to move off up the slope, mindful that we still had plenty of ground to cover on the reverse. Delta would now move a little to the right of the main wedge, screening the platoon from the rising ground to the south. Everything was wooded, but with scant undergrowth so one could see a long way into the trees.

When the fire came it was from our right - comrade Bodge's Charlie was engaged first, exchanging rounds with enemies on the high ground close to Delta. Comrade commander Mike exhorted Delta to move upon the enemy, and for Charlie to make haste into the cache (which was right ahead). I heard Bodge go down injured and ran forward to help when I caught a bullet in the head.

Cholo

To close out the night, and give the new comrades what I hoped would be a nice send-off, we played this riff on Precinct 13. Almost all the new guys were given shiny new pump-action shotguns and sent into the police house with comrade Egg to look after them.

That should have been my first clue.

:siiigh:

When the assault happened, I was first into the eastern door, having deftly thrown some smoke in ahead of me. Dimly, through the smoke, down the dark passageway that leads all the way through the building and out of the western door, I saw a pistol-toting figure approaching.

Hurrah! It was another gang member, and toge----

Oh well, this is why being a gang member is not top of the recommendations you are likely to get from your career advisor, and that's before you get into the economics of it (see Freakonomics if you're ever curious). Comrade Draakon was very ninja-like, which is always fun to watch.

Great session - thank you to all the comrades who came along. You are Folk. :hist101:

Ansob

Post by Ansob »

Unreachable

As CO medic to Draakon's CO, my job consisted in being assigned to Charlie/Delta then being constantly ordered to run from one end of our offensive to the other. Playing emergency medic is much more fun than playing sit-back-and-do-nothing medic, though, so it was enjoyable and actually felt like a contribution to team effort.

Fritz Frenzy

As one of the two heroic German paramedics assigned to the KSK, my contributions to the mission consisted in:
  • Employing a terrible German accent to boost morale;
  • Employing a terrible French accent to boost morale;
  • Making use of the terrible oversight that placed a crate with guns that had actual optics (!!!) in the KSK OP in order to better miss the assaulting enemy AI;
  • Being told "there's a patrol coming in from the South," orienting South, standing up to check the South because nothing was showing up and immediately being headshotted to death.
A triumph, then.

Nightblind

In a misplaced bid to promote piece between the People's Revolution and the traitor "comrade" Fer, I slotted as AR in his squad, with AstuteCat as AAR and Pirate as Rocketman. Unfortunately, my doubts and regrets were immediately proven true as "comrade" Fer proceeded to "accidentally" shoot me in a "regretable" incident of "friendly fire," then attempt to bribe me with alcohol. Undaunted by his usual treachery, I resolved to live and let live; however, "comrade" Fer proceeded to order us to run after him while he charged blindly into enemy fire, then halt in the open in plain sight of several enemy rocket platoons. Not content with letting his deliberate incompetence kill both AstuteCat (Martyr of the Revolution) and myself, he proceeded to ensure the death of our remaining squadmate. Fer then attempted to run forward to the enemy positions in order to surrender and rejoin his true capitalist comrades; fortunately, he received his just desserts in the breath of a rocket's exhaust.

"Comrade" Fer then proceeded to gloat about his country manor and the many hectares of land he possessed (stolen from the People) while bemoaning the poor quality of "the help" and their "irrational" demands to be recompensed for their labour (which he also shamelessly stole), all the while praising the visionary leadership of his friends David and George (with whom he was due dinner on Saturday next, as he loudly and repeatedly announced to us).

Truly, there is no depth to which Fer will not sink.

Crateresistance

Part of the heroic Resistance members opposing Fer's despotism, I slotted as Alphar AR under AstuteCat (Martyr of the Revolution). While we took position around cache alpha in a clever bid to surprise Fer's cronies and stooges with the People's lead-delivery devices, AstuteCat (Martyr of the Revolution) bravely plunged to his death off some rocks while not paying attention to where he was walking.

Left in command of Alpha, we enacted a brilliant tactical denial of the Western front, forcing the cowardly enemy to run around our position and through the treeline in order to approach the cache. After relocating to better ground, my position was, alas, compromised while ensuring that our new players knew what they were doing and attempting to find the bloody cache in the bloody fog. It was then that I was brutally murdered by Nullkigan, Left Hand of the Despot. A tragedy; the People mourn.
Multinational man of misery.

astutecat

Post by astutecat »

Comrades, there is some film footage of the disastrous 'nightblind' assault!