[Sun] 19 Aug 2012 (Death from above)

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • Halted
  • Blackfolkdown
  • Flask
  • Cacheola (coop)
  • Cholo
A mid-summer turnout of mid-30s to low-40s was still pretty impressive, comrades. Moreso was our first ever successful mounting of an air-cav style BLUFOR mission, Blackfolkdown, under the guidance of comrade Tigershark. Expect to see a little more experimentation in that direction soon.

The session opened with the rarely-played Folk original, Halted, which saw the platoon take on the enemy at close quarters with nothing more than bolt action rifles and revolutionary fervour. Fervour actually carried the day, too. Next, in Blackfolkdown we somehow managed to overcome the deep complexities of an air-cav style mission to kill or capture all the warlords on offer. The up-slotted Flask (courtesy of comrade Wolfenswan) provided us with the joys of watching Shilkas fire on infantry in the open, comrade Tigershark walking on water, and comrade Tink demonstrating the new, Party-approved anti-tank pistol. A party commendation is being sent to comrade Tink's mother (along with his body). Comrade Draakon led a methodical and almost casualty-free run of Cacheola (Coop), before someone discovered that PCP can turn you into spiderman in Cholo.

We had a few new faces tonight, and I hope they'll take a moment to register and post their thoughts here. As ever, thank you to all comrades who came along. Don't forget about ARPS Tactical Tuesday, or Invasion44 Saturday, or the Folk DCS session on Thursday. See you next Sunday!

Blastvader

Re: [Sun] 19 Aug 2012 (Death from above)

Post by Blastvader »

Tigershark appears to have achieved CHIM within ArmA...at least for a little while as he weathers a hail of high caliber rounds like a champ in Flask. Though mine own involvement in the operation has ceased somewhat earlier due to a pesky flanking maneuver by those damnable rebels.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Halted
Deployed as Deputy Platoon Medic
With the roar of severely anemic Eastern-Bloc engines, the presence of an OpFor convoy in town was made known to us. Being the faithful revolutionary that I am, I seized my untrusty Lee-Enfield, my slightly-less-shady bag o' medicine, and set off at Comrade Fer's back. My intention was to stick to Fer's six like a limpet. This I did, until he went kaput. As a result, I wandered aimlessly around the place, looting a dead OpForian for a Belgium waffle rifle. Significantly less tasty. I took down three godless infidels who charged straight up the center of our lines, then got shot from sources unknown. Oops.

Blackfolkdown
Deployed as Platoon Medic
It's rainin' choppers. After an interminable eternity of rolling around on the ground whilst AirCav figured out its logistics, I took to the air in an MH-60. Four guys in my Blackhawk got shwacked through the open door as we flared in for landing, and the pilot ran away from his terribly, terribly damaged chopper. Tigershark, meanwhile, stayed seated, the picture of perfect calm even as the two Folk to his side slumped over and died. Maybe he was mourning their deaths. Maybe he was dreaming of the perfect chocolate sundae. Maybe... he was disconnected. Oops. Moments later, he made a triumphant return, and Platoon command made its way back to the front-lines. Three hasty bandages, splints, and organ-transplants later, I followed a hard-chargin' Tigershark until we encountered none other than COMRADEMAN, renowned OpForian superman from the planet Notpyrk. In my shock and surprise, I may have emptied two entire magazines into Comrademan before realizing my mistake :v: A few short minutes later, we met up with the wounded shambles of Fox squad, who yours truly returned to full combat effectiveness via kidney punches and PCP. Unfortunately, Comrade Tigershark had that glazed look on his face again as he watched Fox squad mow down civilian after civilian (Ed. Note: Not Fox Squad as far as this medic knows) terrorist after terrorist. After Tigershark returned from his head-trip yet again, we then seized the airfield from a gaggle of panicking civilians, resisting the urge to scream "AMURRRICAH!!!" and mow them down. Bravo advanced through the road to the nearby mosque, and I followed suit. The entire ordeal was relatively uneventful until some insane dude parked his lada in the middle of us and... stepped out to wave an AK-74 in the air. His mistake. We then bundled up a prisoner, piled into the chopper, and returned, a not-significantly-smaller platoon even though we'd lost two of our three choppers >.>...

Flask
Deployed as Charlie Squad Medic
What the hey, it worked for me pretty well that last round, right? I awoke from a doze as the Huey Mi-8 touched down (Ed. Note - those bastards totally switched the chopper type on me when I was asleep! How dare they?). Only once our rides had dusted off did I realize that a grievous logistical error had been committed back at base. Here I was with a silenced rifle that I had spent so much blood, sweat, and blackmail on, and someone had forgotten to tell my armorer. I fired my weapon into the air in rage, where it made a cute clicking sound as I pulled the trigger. In my haste, I snatched up an RPK, thus becoming the ever fearsome Machinegun Medic. And then I got shot when I tried to revive a Shilka crewmember next to the burning hulk of the thing we'd been tasked to protect. It was between me and the thing that blew it up. Oops.

Other highlights of this mission include the above mentioned super-human activities. Obviously, the Folks Brigade is comprised of burgeoning superheroes, what with Comrade Tigershark's Jesus moment, his manipulation of probability to play target to a knife-outline of bullets, and Tink's masterful use of his confusion pistol to bewilder and perplex the crew of a T-55.

Surgeon's note: There has recently been an epidemic of RPG-to-the-face-itis from the Flask region. Travel to The Flask is ill advised for reasons of personal health. Oh, and the water there is poisoned.

Cacheola
Deployed as Bravo 2 FTL
The only thing more accurate than incoming fire is incoming friendly fire. Bravo 2 moved in convoy until our staging point, where we dismounted and proceeded on foot to an intersection. There, one of my teammates decided that a barricade of crushed concrete, tires, and rebar would be a nice blanket to take a nap under. When I went to try and steal the fellow's fine-lookin' boots, I instead came nose-to-cranium with a .50 caliber bullet. "But Bravo 2," you say, "I thought those jihadists didn't have .50 caliber weapons!" And you would be right.

Some minutes later, the call went out on the channel, "Make sure you identify your targets. Careful about friendly-fire." Now you tell us :siiigh:

Cholo
Drugsdrugsdrugsdrugsdrugs
DrugsdrugsdrugsdrugsdrugsIndustrialComplexDrugsdrugsdrugsdrugsdrugsOverwatch
DrugsdrugsdrugsdrugsdrugsDeathChargeToTheFrontDoorDrugsdrugsdrugsdrugsdrugs
WitnessingSpidermanS***DrugsdrugsdrugsdrugsdrugsDRUUUGS!

*ahem*

I didn't fire a shot. And I got my pills. So I'm happy.

~ Ferrard

EDIT: Apologies! 's been edited :zoidberg:
Last edited by Ferrard Carson on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

Ferrard.....excellent AAR! Really good :-) We try to keep some resemblance of civility and political correctness at Folk so would you mind removing the reference to "towel head"? Not a big deal but like I said, we try to keep things a little less controversial because to be honest, with so many players, we have no idea what kind of backgrounds or ethnicity our members have.

Very good AAR though. You have set a new standard that the party will obligate you to keep :-)
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

RP from RPS:

Well, this was an interesting run...

-Halted
Delta RMAT (sans AT)
The entirety of my fireteam got killed on initial contact, leaving me to advance up the road, taking potshots as I went. I was felled by a foul enemy coward that hid among the civilians.

-Blackfolkdown
Charlie AAR
After somehow sorting out transport, we landed just to have half of the officers glitch out and start doing the moonwalk. Charlie got killed soon after, but there was some amazing flying to be seen by the end.

-Flask
B2 AR
Whenever I'm handling an AR I feel like I'm wasting ammo.
Charlie got into some trouble early on, and the rest of the force pushed on. We were soon encircled, lost mech. support, and enemy armour was fast approaching. The mission was a goner, but there was much laughter to be had from spectator mode

-Cacheola (coop)
B2 AAR
Amazingly, the mission was finished with a grand total of 5 casualties!
One of them was even killed by INDFOR!

-Cholo
Alpha senior.
Oddly enough, Google Images for "cat on PCP" returns this: http://narwhaler.com/img/hu/i/smoke-pcp-huINjA.jpg
And so it was.
[/allegedly]

Bodge

Post by Bodge »

Halted
Bravo FTL
Bravo started close to the Northern road while rounds pinged into walls all about. We moved onto the road, crossing it and securing a firing position in the Northern set of houses, where we eliminated a few stragglers. After taking a quick round to a non-essential appendage we proceeded to secure the junction and the majority of the convoy, which we then proceeded to eliminate with Ice's MG.

BlackFolk Down
Bravo FTL
We boarded our blackhawk and after waiting for other choppers to get in position moved off towards our LZ. As we were descending a large amount of HMG fire hit the side of our bird taking down the majority of Alpha. The blackhawk floated slowly down as it's engine failed but thankfully was only a few feet off the ground and we dismounted and proceeded North with Harakka being the only suvivor of Alpha and Wolf (the pilot) in tow. We moved to the road heading North/South and got heavily engaged taking several wounds and losing our AR to a medic system bug. We moved to form up before an assault on Yarum, our first target only to have numerous enemy infantry moving towards us from Yarum and the North. Large amounts of AR fire took them down and we moved up with CO (Tigershark) and swiftly clearing Yarum of targets (apart from some highlander type).

As we were regrouping we were tasked with assisting Fox who were holed up, surrounded in a two storey building just to our West. We cleared the buildings to find two members of Fox who then join us as we cleared the Airfield and awaited further orders and the arrival of Charlie/Delta. Our AI friend decided to run into Zarg at this point and out of pity myself and Death by DnB went into town to get him up encountering a few enemy riflemen and getting eyes on a large group to the East. We were on the move to the Mosque (Now with Echo in tow) so brought up our appropriated HMG offroad and cleared the market where the opposing squad had holed up. A final clearance of the mosque led to the capture of the enemy HVT before the AI that i had revived earlier decided to shoot him in the back before i could stop him. Mission success!

Flask
Charlie were tasked to sweep in front of Shilka 2 on the mountainside to protect it's advance. It was all going well for about 5 minutes when Charlie 1 got wiped out by RPG fire from the other hill, Charlie 2 got incapacitated by infantry to its front and rear and the Shilka was hit from who knows where. By the time we got off the hill thanks to bravo's relief there were 5 of us left, 3 of C2, 1 shilka crew and myself and we formed up on the road heading to Alpha in town. We secured the now burning shilka 1 as Alpha got them up only to take heavy fire from just about everywhere, a tank, apc and spg were firing on us and the casualties piled up. We were left with myself and a legless Kale (I told him to go easy on the spirits). I went South with the survivors and liberated a Fal from a dead foe to assist clearing out the opposite ridge, taking down a couple of infantry and a static MG. It was at this point the charge was ordered so I stood up loosed a shockingly poor RPG at a ZU only for it to pour a burst of fire into my face.

jRides

Post by jRides »

Cross posted from the RPS thread:

I missed Halted and BlackFolkDown was already in planning when I joined and all the JIP slots had been closed.

Flask; I was FTL for the award winning Alpha2 (Award winning in that we had the world famous Tink in our group), that was a lot of fun. It was pretty relentless - kudos to the COs for forcing the pace. We ended up next to the road much of the time watching out for the engineers (basically keeping Fer alive and ignoring his swearing when he was being relentlessly fired upon), that, and plucking burning bodies from burning shilkas, sadly i was among those that were killed at the mosque - I have no idea what hit me.. Still, I got to watch Tink and that award winning tank rush at the end so it ended well.

Cacheola; I was the AAR in Skabooga's squad but only until Dannysaysnoo died, then I stole his SAW and became AR - but never actually fired it as all was pretty much done by then. Also, we stole an enemy truck and amused ourselves by driving around in front of the rest of the fellows forcing our SL Waffly to repeatedly shout over TS and CC to prevent friendly fire on us, in the end he got really angry and we were told to dismount by the big spoilsport.

Cholo; I sat on the roof opposite the police station and mowed down anyone that moved inside. I was so smashed on the PCP that I didn't even see the spiderman stuff. It all appeared normal to me... man.

harakka

Post by harakka »

Blackfolkdown was a really fun experience for me, though I imagine it was less so for the rest of Alpha fireteam, led by AstuteCat, as you can see from the first one and half minutes of the following video. I only cut the initial organisatory bit so it's fairly long as I survived all the way to the end. There is also a fairly crafty surprise attack attempt by the enemy at around 44:30 mark.
Me and him, we're from different ancient tribes. Now we're both almost extinct. Sometimes you gotta stick with the ancient ways, the old school ways. I know you understand me.

fer

Post by fer »

Ferrard Carson wrote:EDIT: Apologies! 's been edited :zoidberg:
Thanks for making the edits, comrade Carson. Your AAR post is great stuff, as was your post from last week - please keep these high quality contributions coming, comrade! Or face arrest and indefinite detention.

:cop:

Halted

DC: Fer
|- M: Ferrard Carson

Because it makes perfect sense having comrades with similar names in the same element. :eng101:

Comrade CO Phil, returning from a break, had a simple plan: dominate the main roads. Accordingly, Alpha/Bravo/Charlie (under the CO) would rush the southern road, whilst Delta/Echo/Fox/JIP (under me) would rush the northern road. The CO was non-specific about what we would do next, but this being a hasty ambush, the part where we 'kill everything in an olive green uniform' should be pretty self-evident.

I reached the northern road a little behind my fireteams. A gunnerless enemy technical was drifting down the road from the east, so I shot the driver. Crossing the road itself, comrade Ferrard and I were treated to two second-hand FN FALs. As I attempted to talk to my FTLs, I decided to take up a position on the north side of the road, by a low wall, from where I could direct the westward-assault. Sadly, an unseen enemy shot me down and that was the end of me.

From the great beyond, I watched as the platoon managed to kill every single enemy, completely forgetting about the 'withdraw to safety' objective, opting instead to fire their weapons into the sky.

Welcome to Folk.

:siiigh:

Blackfolkdown

Charlie FTL: Fer

After an amusing mini-game of logistics at the start (thank you to all comrades for being patient whilst Comrade CO Tigershark got everyone into their designated transports), Charlie and Delta's Blackhawk set off for the north-western IP with DC/Echo's Littlebird not far behind.

When they aren't flying into hillsides / each other / enemies, transport helicopters can be instant atmosphere. So it was that I enjoyed looking out of the side as the other force's birds flew off towards their own IP south of the city. There was some banter, but it was good banter. Mercifully, nobody felt the urge to get their BHD on, so Party officials didn't have to insta-execute anyone. Though the Party was aware that, at home, comrade Tigershark was wearing replica high-speed/low-drag combat trousers but naked from the waist up and clutching a framed photograph of Ewan McGregor, this had been deemed within the 'acceptable mission risk envelope'. Anyway.

Our birds moved off from the IP, flying low as per comrade DC Draakon's orders. We were peppered by rifle fire at one point, but got onto the deck safely at a flat location just north of the villa complex. Forming up in a loose line, with my Charlie on the far left, we mounted the steep slope and began our ascent.

Then I crashed. Someone else crashed. A few people crashed. I couldn't even see my cursor. I hit reset.

I came too [re-joined] in comrade Zitron's Blackhawk, which was parked in the foothills to the east. After re-establishing contact with my detachment, it became clear that comrade Killa had taken command - comrade Draakon was dead, and so were the men in my fireteam. No point asking command to risk a bird just to move me 500m. Time to run.

Near the villa, an AI medic passed me going the other way. Then he wasn't AI anymore - he was comrade Wolfenswan, and he was up next to me, and we were heading towards the villa. I entered from the northern side of the compound, comrade Wolfenswan from the eastern. Contacts were reported between the barracks block and the villa, but I only saw one dead body. Crawling through the garden from the villa came a friendly fireteam, and soon I had hooked up with Wolfenswan again. I moved to the main gate and took up position watching down the approach road. Nothing.

Just as the villa complex appeared to be clear, enemies attacked through the barracks block gate. I saw an AR go down in the gap and popped smoke, edging forward into the white to retrieve him. A few enemy rounds clipped me and suddenly I was also helpless on the floor, and the chap I'd gone to save had stopped moving. More shouting. More friendly bodies, and at last a majority of fire was going out of the gate, not in. Comrade Wolfenswan patched me up and I did a quick sweep before returning to the front gate. Then I crashed again.

I came too [re-joined] where I had been before, crouched at the front gate. This time the villa complex was empty, and only an oddly-parked enemy technical betrayed our earlier presence. Radio chatter and the buzz of helicopters told me the action had moved to the centre of town, near the main mosque.

Killa was still commanding our detachment, so I contacted him and cleared things so I could jump in the Technical and make a dash for the mosque. I had not cleared things with the enemy, and angry men at the roadside peppered my little vehicle as I drove quickly through the streets. Perhaps this was their method of enforcing urban speed limits. We'll never know. I made it back to the main force in time to board the Blackhawk and fly to freedom.

With all the disconects this was, for me, more The Time Traveller's Wife than Black Hawk Down, but it was great to witness the platoon in action. Very well done to all comrades, but especially to comrade Tigershark, who demonstrated that with the right leadership, even we can mount air-cav style missions!

:coolbert:

Flask

Engineer: Fer
|- Engineer: Draakon

The engineers were to be split between the Shilkas, so I sent comrade engineer Draakon up the hill in the red Land Rover to shadow Shilka 2. I walked along the main road with Shilka 1, hanging out with comrade Phil's Alpha squad and its various brave fireteams.

A volley of rockets fired high from left to right between the two hills began the action, as the enemy's patrols exercised their advantage in elevation. Our Shilkas, in turn, exercised their advantage in multi-barrelled shooting of explosive ammunition. We plodded on through the narrow valley under almost constant incoming and outgoing fire of all calibres.

On the hill to our right, it seemed bad things were happening to our forces. Shilka 2 was in flames (I could see the column of black smoke from the valley road, but not the wreck itself), though comrade engineer Draakon had been pulled from the flames and was making his way downslope to join me near Shilka 1.

As we became more aggressive, with Shilka 1 pushing further up the road and engaging enemy armour directly, I found myself re-prioritised to clearing mines from the road. Whilst under fire.

The first cluster of mines was the hardest to clear. Despite putting smoke down on the spot, enemy small arms fire continued to zing past me and hit the tarmac near the spot where I was attempting to work. I was driven back to some ruins, and when I returned it was to work in plain sight (the smoke having dispersed). Still, I got the road cleared and hid in some nearby ruins whilst the fight raged around me.

Our assault edged forward again and I found myself looking at another, much larger cluster of mines at the village entrance. Yelling to the soldier next to me for cover (poor comrade JRides), I hopped over the low wall and began clearing mines. The enemy fire was less intense this time and I was able to complete the task quickly. Shilka 1 rolled over the inert munitions and entered the village. It felt like enemy fire was coming from all sides now, but cowering near the large, multi-barrel beast also felt strangely comforting.

Shilka 1 burst into flames and I was caught in the blast, my legs smashed to bits.

:colbert:

Someone managed to stop me from bleeding out, but for the next few minutes I was reduced to crawling around the road, desperately calling for medics who were long since dead. I was crippled.

Further down the road, an enemy BRDM appeared from a small valley and began engaging us. I called it in, stood (as best I could) and emptied rifle rounds into it until it killed me. Seconds later.

:suicide:

Cacheola (coop)

CO: Draakon
|- M: Fer

Actually, I really don't have much to say because I never saw the enemy and spent the entire mission accompanying comrade CO Draakon as he moved about. However, from my perspective it seemed like the mission was run extremely smoothly, with Alpha and Bravo squads making quick work of their repective search sectors. Nice job, comrades!

:clint:

Cholo

I've actually been fairly ill for the last week, and have sustained myself using an interesting selection of of pills. Last night, I was taking these:

Clearly, the pharmacist mis-heard. I said P-C-P, sucker! Anyway, I was a cop in this play-through, so of course I wasn't under the influence of illegal narcotics. Unfortunately, my plan to hover in the darkness of the building site and ambush the gang-bangers was undone by the sheer speed with which they invented the spiderman attack. Only it wasn't speed. It was PCP.

:colbert:

Great session, comrades. I hope to see you all again at next week's Folk Sunday session (or perhaps sooner, in the ARPS Tactical Tuesday session). Remember to bring your friends!

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

I had hoped the helo insertion would go like this.

Instead it went like:
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.