[Sun] 02 Sep 2012 (What are the rules of-- )

How we died
zitron

Re: [Sun] 02 Sep 2012 (What are the rules of-- )

Post by zitron »

fer wrote: C1 was trapped, and C2 was becoming smaller by the minute. We could see the other squads were moving on the building site from the west. I told C1 to go firm and with C2 crossed the open ground to the north side of the building site, then slipped eastward until I had eyes on the two-storey building that had been Charlie's target all along. After shooting out the streetlight, I ordered Charlie 2 to cross into the shop/bar on the corner, and to then to clear the upper floors. Meanwhile, C1 had lost its FTL and was reporting itself pinned by effective enemy file from a building to the south.

C1 marked the map where the enemy position was, and the CO (comrade Bodge) directed a fireteam from Alpha to flank it. Just before that, C2 not only cleared the shop building, but managed to cross into the adjacent one on the rooftop, clearing down to the first floor. I heard C1 saying they'd found some smoke and were going to attempt to cross the road between our positions. And that was the last I heard from them.

The mission ended a few minutes later, with a victory for BLUFOR - though it was possibly because the UN troops had sent too many men to outlaying buildings, making it easier to clear the stations themselves (and fire the end trigger). Some tweaking to be done here!
I became C1 FTL after our FTL got shot in a doorway. We did manage to cross the road successfully, with smoke and random suppressive fire from my MP5. I was not able to report back to you because how intense the whole thing was! Mission ended as soon as we were all safe on the other side.

kalelovil

Post by kalelovil »

Regarding Rebound, when the counter attack came the enemy M113 and (BTR-90? Not sure, possibly BRDM-2.) charged straight at our forces without regard for their own safety.
The BTR had all its troops dismount from its side while it was within range of our AR fire, and they all promptly got mowed down on the spot before they could engage, leaving a pile of six or so bodies.

If it's possible to change without too much difficulty the enemy mechanised forces should proceed in a more combat-ready formation once they are within a fair distance of the village.

A fun session, although I should probably try to avoid dieing early so much. I don't have time to post an AAR now unfortunately, but I'll to post one at least occasionally.
Last edited by kalelovil on Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fer

Post by fer »

kalelovil wrote:The BTR had all its troops dismount from its side while it was within range of our AR fire, and they all promptly got mowed down on the spot before the could engage, leaving a pile of six or so so bodies.
Something that would be interesting to know - though I regret I don't have time to test right today - is whether the fog has an effect on when the AI squad leader chose to dismount his infantry. Mechanised AI groups have some built-in logic governing when they ride and when they walk, which I'm sure is linked to awareness of the enemy (us!). Did the BTR squad simply see us too late?

SuperU

Post by SuperU »

My account of windola (AKA Frame Rate forest)

Also disabling IVD on a cherno map did not seem like a good idea.