[Sun] 02 Sep 2012 (What are the rules of-- )

How we died
fer

[Sun] 02 Sep 2012 (What are the rules of-- )

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • BlackFolkDown
  • Westside
  • Wideola
  • Rebound
Comrades, another superb turn-out: over 50 at the high point, with 43 remaining for the last mission (that kicked-off a full 2.5 hours after the session began). Huge thanks to everyone who came along and helped create yet another superb session. Welcome, also, to the new faces - I hope you enjoyed yourselves and will join us again; if you can post your impressions in this thread that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks also to everyone for helping us to slot quickly and keep comms reasonably clear. As our numbers go up, it's even more helpful when everyone plays their part - I recently wrote about the key points in the thread: Now there are a few of us ... If you haven't already read that, please give it a quick scan.

As ever, please share your thoughts, screenshots and footage here - for those of you with video to post, please drop me a PM for details of the Folk YouTube channel. The Party is always keen to hear your thoughts.

:v:

So it knows who to arrest.

DMA

Re: [Sun] 02 Sep 2012 (What are the rules of-- )

Post by DMA »

Hello youse,

Was well almost a year and a half since I last had a mission with Folk (as well as a session of Arma in any form) and things have certainly changed. Number of players had increased by a few hundred percent, as had my rustyness. Trying to remember channels and controls and terminology and coordination and shooting at stuff and inhaling air turned this Sunday night into quite a challenging one. :psyduck:

Although I did manage to remember how to die. And how I excelled at that.

I'm just happy I did it with a community as forgiving as Folk. It's simply the best way of organising ArmaX MP play I've experienced in my 11 year on-and-off-again history with this game. I hope to see you again in future Sunday sessions!

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Wheeew. That was a session. I never struggled as much with the elements.

First i missed the first mission (Blackfolkdown) due to some reorganizing at home, seems like my computer didn't like his new location (i got a ping of 1380 when i disconnected).
Glad to see the disconnection problems seem to have disappeared since Wolf modified it, though. Thanks for that, and it proves there's no issue relative to UPSMON.

Then i replaced my computer to its previous location, but restarting the game, SixUpdater treacherously launched it with the beta on. So i probably spent most of Westside talking to myself. I did survive, and we won. Even though i'm not sure we even killed one damn pig.

Same happened during Wideola, but this time i realized i had no comms. I still did the job (what a professional dismount from that Chinook), my buddy got killed through a wall, and then i felt heroic and went back to save my leader Toppo as we were falling back. He shouted me to go back and wait, which i did. Until some bullet decided going through my back was the best course.

Restarted again, without the beta. Hey, i thought, everything's right, now, let's take a FTL role. B3. Well. Lost my AR (sorry buddy, can't remember who you were) in some unexplained circumstances in the first firefight. Neva could retrieve the SAW. Then Head, AAR, decided to go see what he thought was a hundred euros bill on the other side of the road. We never saw him again.
Down to Tiger and me, no squad lead, no Bravo 1, we went down to take position before the counter attack. Then my connection went fubar again, i ended up in some strange dimension were i was the only one moving, shooting quite a lot of frozen baddies (i suspect they weren't even there at that moment, but, hell, that was some matrix fun). I snapped back to reality and i was dead.
Shamefully i rage quit quite quickly after that.

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Hullo everyone.

This was my absolutely first round of any sort of multiplayer arma2, so i tried to remain as unnoticed as possible. Took me some time to iron out my understanding of it all, but it improved as we went along.

In the first mission i even managed to a: survive, and b: shoot at something in the distance. Success! I actually shot an enemy as well, even though my machine creaked through this mission for some reason. (reeaaallly choppy!)
In mission two my machine started playing along, but as the opposing force decided to strategically foregoing their actual objectives nothing much happened. The fun part about nvgs is that when their on you don't notice that your screen is red from the agony of having been severely wounded. Making me appear more stoic in the face of near death than was probably the case.
Mission three involved running in the forest, looking around myself, and enjoying the gentle brutality of battlefield promotions for which one is wholly inadequate. I attempted to calm myself by pulling out a copy of the sheet music for Shostakovich's "Suite on Finnish Themes" but that did not keep me from misdirecting my team and probably being responsible for a late arrival causing one chinook to take an rpg round. :siiigh:
Mission four went along nicely. Run, run, run. Look around, jump a hedge, get shot. Wonderful stuff.

The comms structure is starting to make sense, and i'll make an effort of not being underprepared for promotions the next time around.
Wonderful people, good fun.

Cya.
audiox

inguef

Post by inguef »

Wideola (I think it was called, the last mission) was incredible for me. I spawned as a Medic in team charlie (wim).
Thanks for whoever dropped that AT launcher, I made good use of it against an enemy jeep.

Right before I died I saw a rocket woosh past me, inches from my face.. (I was hiding behind a wall) the ARMA2 engine/netcode continues to amaze me!

Proctor Eldritch

Post by Proctor Eldritch »

BlackFolkDown

I honestly don't remember much of this one. My squad didn't see much action as we spent most of our time admiring the furnishings in various homes. Before we managed to infiltrate the town one of the Blackhawk's went down in a fiery blaze of glory. http://i.imgur.com/kVyiU.jpg I'm honestly not sure what happened there. As my squad was about to start our approach on the mosque, I happened to overhear three soldiers giggling about shooting civilians. http://i.imgur.com/sZ7lG.jpg Your warcrimes have been thoroughly documented, sirs.

Another shot http://i.imgur.com/wvTiU.jpg

Westside

I like the whole Cholo concept, but in this mission the Independent clearly outgunned the Blufor. Being armed with M9s severely limits the Blufor's ability to succeed. The Blufor did win the mission, however, as the Independents didn't remain inside the police stations.

Wideola

This was my second time playing this mission, and I must say I don't care for it at all. The AI seems to have the ability to pick out any movement, regardless of what obstructions are in the way. At the very beginning of the mission, my squad took heavy fire and promptly took cover in a barn. I apparently stood in the wrong spot and was punished for my poor decision by being swiftly executed through a wall. http://i.imgur.com/0C0RZ.jpg I don't care much for this level of accuracy.

We did have a picturesque landing, though. http://i.imgur.com/pcZ7G.jpg

Rebound

This mission really pulled me out of my frustration. Very straightforward operation. As we progressed through the valley our numbers gradually diminished. I think we had five or six left at the end of the mission. It was a bloody fight to terminate the last officers, but it was worth it. http://i.imgur.com/zENFk.jpg http://i.imgur.com/yGbgi.jpg I can't remember who followed me into the last compound. Whoever you were, I apologize for not taking out the second officer before he shot you. He was just outside my FOV when it happened.

This session started out a little rocky for me, but everything came together in the last mission. Good game, all. Here's the entire album of shots for your viewing pleasure: http://imgur.com/a/mjl6V

fer

Post by fer »

DMA wrote:I'm just happy I did it with a community as forgiving as Folk. It's simply the best way of organising ArmaX MP play I've experienced in my 11 year on-and-off-again history with this game. I hope to see you again in future Sunday sessions!
@ DMA - That's really wonderful to hear, and I'm sure it'll make all the hosts and mission writers very happy. Thanks for the kind words!
inguef wrote:Wideola (I think it was called, the last mission) was incredible for me. I spawned as a Medic in team charlie (wim). Thanks for whoever dropped that AT launcher, I made good use of it against an enemy jeep.
@ inguef - I think that may have been Rebound, not Wideola (there aren't any enemy jeeps in Wideola, or at least there shouldn't be!).
Proctor Eldritch wrote:I happened to overhear three soldiers giggling about shooting civilians. http://i.imgur.com/sZ7lG.jpg Your warcrimes have been thoroughly documented, sirs.
Whoever those overheard players were: it's possible to lose that mission if too many civilians are killed, so please don't shoot at them on purpose.
Proctor Eldritch wrote:in this mission the Independent clearly outgunned the Blufor. Being armed with M9s severely limits the Blufor's ability to succeed.
I agree, and will probably revise the BLUFOR weapons for the next playthrough, as well as start them off even closer to the police stations, so there is less time for INDFOR to place shooters in the outlying buildings.
Proctor Eldritch wrote:This was my second time playing [Wideola], and I must say I don't care for it at all. The AI seems to have the ability to pick out any movement, regardless of what obstructions are in the way.
Fair points. I'm really struggling with missions on Chernarus, because once you get into the woodland terrain it's often the case that you die before seeing your attackers. That's not even specific to AI, either, since Crateresistance can be equally unforgiving - the difference being that at least you know it's a human pulling the virtual trigger (which somehow makes it easier to accept). It would be nice to hear suggestions for how we can make missions on Chernarus less binary - what have you seen work in the past, what is there interest in exploring etc.?

Some nice images, btw - love the one of the landing in Wideola.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Chernarus missions tend to be hell on everyone involved, especially if one side is AI, simply because the AI doesn't have the same visual limitations as Players. Gras doesn't exist to AI, tree foliage doesn't exist to AI... if they know you're there.

As to how to fix it: Set the missions in and around cities. MOUT tends to even the playing field significantly by limiting the AI's "Horrible-Rape-Radius" line-of-sight. It'll probably mess up their pathing if they're being puppeteer'd, though :/

My two cents. Videos editing, AAR being written.

And that's a VERY pretty screenshot of the Wideola landing, Proctor. Glad to have you in my Fire Team just about the whole session.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

inguef

Post by inguef »

Oops, yes I meant Rebound. Fantastic mission.

Wideola didn't really work out for me as I was never too sure what uniform my enemy was wearing.. or where they would advance from. But I had fun guarding a brick wall and spotting a HUEY that landed!

Here are some screenshots of Rebound that I took. Nothing special. :)

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/57671 ... 454FFA76A/
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/57671 ... A58673E45/
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/57671 ... FA1DD1BBB/
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/57671 ... 3FFD361CA/

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

As a neat little preview whilst I wrap up editing and prepare to upload overnight...

Questions?

Humvee?

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."