fer

[Sun] 09 Sep 2012 (Whoop! Whoop!)

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • Moonless SE
  • Arrival SE
  • Forts XE
  • Cholo
Comrades, another solid turn-out comfortably north of 40 (at some point closer to 50, I believe), and yet another session closer to 3 hours than 2. Welcome to the new guests too, of which there were a few - I hope you'll post your impressions here and join us again soon. Indeed, thank you to everyone who came along; these player-counts are allowing us to frequently combine a full infantry platoon with a major supporting asset (attack helicopter, light armour) and a handful of attachments.

We were shockingly effective tonight, completing three meaty coop missions before the drug-crazed antics of Cholo (what is it with you people and wanting to do a mission about PCP-crazed gang-bangers?). Congratulations to all who took leadership roles, whether at platoon, squad or fireteam/attachment level. My only request is - please - help the hosts out by paying attention in the slotting phase and filling up the elements as requested. Comms and co-ordination were generally good all evening - so, thank you to everyone for knowing when it was okay to banter and when to focus on shooting bad mens*.

Please post your thoughts, feedback, screenshots and video here (PM me for details of Folk YouTube channel). Lastly, for my fellow gang-members and my 4-and-a-half-year-old-daughter (not a gang member):

* To the comrades in the Hind during Moonless, 'bad mens' does not include comrade Wolfenswan's map-click mortar attachment!

Dannysaysnoo

Re: [Sun] 09 Sep 2012 (Whoop! Whoop!)

Post by Dannysaysnoo »

Moonless SE

The brave B2 SL planted his satchel with reckless disregard for himself, whereupon it was never utilized!

B2 leader proceeded to lead his men to glory, that involved some manshooting, in exciting ways.

Arrival SE

Migrating from squad leadership, to gunner position on the Apache, the brave Apache managed a grand total of 59 kills, and gave rather effective cover. Probably. Hard to tell friendly and enemy on thermal.

Forts SE

Moving from gunner, to B3 SL, the brave leader waddled his team around, occasionally providing some excellent cover for the comrades in the town.

CHOLO

Volunteering for the senior role on the police force that all had 2 days till retirement, he led them into a glorious stationary defence, that went terribly as soon as the game started.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

That was quite a fantastic session: i did not die once. I did not kill much either, which might qualify me for a more peaceful version of the agrarian revolution. Maybe with rabbits or something.

Moonless

Sniper. I was slighlty worried my loyal spotter Waffly would alt-tab and shoot me in the back, but none of that happened. Instead we kept quiet and marked about everything on the map for the guys with actual ammunition to shoot. Then Alpha went right on us and started shooting. so much for the stealth. I killed two or three guys with my prehistoric scope on which you know approximatively where to shoot if the enemy is at 400m, and have absolutely no way to estimate the range. When the enemy is NOT at 400m, you don't shoot. There might be a regulation in Mother Russia saying that people have to stay exactly 400 meters away from snipers.
Then we watched the hind do its stuff and exploderize Wolf, while Fer absolutely wanted everybody to be cautious ten minutes after we confirmed the town was as desertic as an ukranian powerplant.

Arrival
Charlie 2 FTL. TheBlob, Tiger, Ferrard. I suddenly lost my fireteam early on. Special pretty sorry to my AR (TheBlobThing) who died as i was fixing him up. Then i followed Fer's orders, got myself in the gun seat of a SpecOps Humvee, manning a grenade-spitting death machine, and got driven around for an hour while admiring the landscape and sometimes the C3 guys shooting at something that i couldn't see. I did not kill Tigershark, he died by himself.

Forts

Alpha 2 or 3, AR. Leader Toppo, AT Tiger, AAR Aqarius. I made a deal with my FTL, so i could be slightly on the back and kill Tiger in the confusion while they were maneuvering in front of me. We caught some rest in the first town, and i was just about to do the deed, when Aqarius got shot in the face. I opted for mourning my late comrade. Tiger was still running in front of me, i had some time. Back on tracks, we got to a halt on top of a hill, Tiger was in my sights... And he got instant-sniped from god knows where. Damn it. Twice. Then followed Toppo (best FTL around if you ask me) around, assaulted something, the guy in front of us forgot to look to his right, which was stupid cause there was a bunker a meter away there, and got shot, then we filled another guy in the next bunker with a thousand rounds. End of the mission.

Cholo
I tried a hollywood fieldproven tactic, consisting on running on the roof top, jumping down and shooting people while i was falling. Then again, there was actually no bullet time and i couldn't see through the windows, so it didn't get me that far. Somebody did fix me up in the middle of chaos and havoc, which i couldn't even think about understanding being said that i was clearly lacking stuff in my veins, so i could embark upon going back up and try that stunt again, but the cops had had it and the session ended.

Great session anyway, even though i can understand that Arrival might be a bit boring if you get killed early on (which happened to me last time we played it). Thanks to Fer, the hosts and the missionmakers. And KRS-One.
Last edited by Black Mamba on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

ConcreteOtter

Post by ConcreteOtter »

Moonless

Bravo SQL - me, Medic - Theblogthing
Bravo 1 FTL - Vorrin, Bravo 2 FTL - Dannysaysno, Bravo 3 FTL - Tink

First mission as SQL, excellent work by FTLs and clearly due to my superior skill of parroting orders from command we did not take any losses, although the attack run by the chopper on a destroyed ZU truck i was using as cover almost resulted in my death. I sprinted away screaming disperse disperse since that's what I have learned from the movies. I felt like there was some premature satchel ejaculation on the ambush, so I felt kind of sad and just touched off my satchels in the middle of the road even though there were no bad dudes nearby, but the explosions made me feel better on the inside.

Arrival

Bravo SQL - Dogface
Bravo 1 FTL - me, jRides, mike, issus

Bravo1 took a lot of fire in the beginning but we held firm and and played peek a boo with a metric bushel of bad dudes behind our concrete saftey blanket. FT did well holding our corner and we completed the mission without a casualty. After not dying for the second mission in a row I was starting to question whether or not I was actually in a Folk session.

Forts

Bravo SQL- Mike
Bravo 1 FTL - me, daf, david, m0ntag

Mission began with Command giving orders for Charlie and thus I zoned out thinking about mice with lazer pointers and messenger pigeons shitting on PowerPoint presentations (pretty much what I do every folk session) then I realized that there was no Charlie and in fact command had been giving our orders, some amusing planning between our SQL and us FTLs ensued. After a surprising nice ride in a opal, the rest of Bravo moved into the OA, while we sat tight and I gave M0ntag a free eye exam with my binoculars. Command ordered us up to their location and then halfway there command ordered us back south of our original position to take care of
some lonely bad dudes outside of the main OA. During this leg of our charity 10k fun run I observed Awesomeness with a PKM dressed as a journalist/Private Military Contractor take friendly fire (that is what he gets for wearing the clothes of a western imperialist dog) but I decided to take our marathon run on a detour to see if we could reach the wounded Awesomness before he bled out. After reviving our comrade in disguise he continued the fun run back north with us and we may have actually entered the OA before the mission completed.

Cholo

Bravo FTL - me, and other drug abusing criminals were along for the ride

Got into the sweet party wagon, caused some property damage by running down some wire fencing that clearly was holding out on me and then proceeded to drive around the precinct bravely flaunting numerous traffic laws. I'm not sure how long anyone else was in the party wagon with me because i told everybody to jump out b/c i figured I would be shot to pieces for my traffic violations (see RCW 46.20.342(1)(c) and RCW 46.61.502) but I never saw the arm of the state and I think I never even fired my weapon, probably because I was too high on PcP to do so.

mike

Post by mike »

Moonless
MG team with Caper. Not much to say about this one other than we were too capable. A successful ambush and attack. No casualties besides some friendly fire. When did we become professionals at this game?

Arrival
B1. We had a pretty good team going on with ConcreteOtter leading B1. Spotted enemies, relayed their positions and directions, killed them without taking casualties. Again, way too capable.

Forts
B SL. I was zoning out as well during the briefing but woke up when I realized Wolf, the CO, wanted my squad to be the mountain squad. Squads that are ordered to fight from mountains rarely stay alive for long, so the prospect of me constantly crying for the medic the next 45 minutes left me rather demoralized. However, the enemy had no flank protection at all, so we ended up sitting on a mountain and watching Alpha exchanging bullets with the enemy through our binoculars. We helped out too by shooting at the enemy, but still, it's a shame we forgot to bring popcorn.
Not much later the CO died and I had to take over. I took a minute to think up a cunning plan but nothing seemed better then to just charge up. So I drew a pretty arrow on the map, told alpha to go for it, and we won. Again, we were way too capable (Bravo didn't even lose a single man I think).

Cholo
<3

Need more adversarials though ;)

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Moonlit
Deployed as Alpha 1-4, Rifleman (AT)
"I throw my hands up in the air sometimes..." Fresh off my command experience from last week's session, I decided to take a step back and content myself with being one o' da fellows whose failure means everyone's death by horrible, horrible mechanized death. I then proceeded to hold those rockets in reserve until there was absolutely nothing to do but put one into the side of a poor, defenseless truck. Our initial ambush was incredibly effective - almost eerily so. Careful movement down the ridge saw us systematically engage and obliterate seemingly helpless insurgents, which quickly gave way to a terrifying death charge across an open hillside. Fortunately, I wasn't in command, and SuperU bit a FAL bullet before IceRaiser managed to drag him into cover where he and a medic buried our poor FTL under a mountain of sulfur and bandages. I mean, seriously, how many medkits do you need to shove into his teeth before he springs back to his feet?

The town clearance itself was eerily uneventful, us having slaughtered everyone (including, it seems, inhabitants) as they advanced up the hill towards us. Now that we were absolutely certain the triple-A was destroyed, our friendly Hind in the sky came in for two attack runs on those little itty-bitty ants wandering around down there in the area where enemies were crawling when the guy took off. Dem ants being us, because as a rule in Folk, we cannot have a mission without casualties. If the AI isn't kind enough to oblige us, the responsibility then falls to none other than The Party!

:commissar:

Arrival
Deployed as Charlie 2-4, Rifleman (AT)
"They win - they have Creepy Squad" Someone had forgotten to tell company command about the World War II story of the Island of Crete. Our completely defenseless C-130's landed under heavy fire, the pilots erased from existence by high-caliber anti-reality rifles, the gunners of which were subsequently erased from the timeline by the rifle's recoil. The only trace of our beloved transport pilots? Bravo's C-130 never powered down its engines.

Some of us were killed as we gained our bearings. Most of us made it to cover and dashed off towards our respective squad objectives. Charlie, supported by HAT and MMG team, waded waist-deep into a village to the East of the airfield, killing insurgents left and right along the way. Still they swarmed. Rushed by a veritable onslaught of Takistanis, Charlie went firm in the town and the overlooking hill. I put a rocket into a T-55 only to find later that the game had credited the kill to our HAT team, and when Charlie was ordered back to the airfield, half of my fire team was wiped out by a stray crewman from that earlier tank. Never before has an AKS-74U been so feared.

From the afterlife, we lasted out the rest of an hour-and-ten-minute long mission by amusing ourselves with the antics of the aptly named "Creepy Squad," forever haunting grid-square 091015. In the darkest Domination server, the screams of their victims echo through the valleys, never to be heard again.

Also, pay close attention and you'll notice that this particular BLUFOR platoon finds shared enjoyment in rousing games of Interactive Fiction! "It is dark. You are likely to be shot by an insurgent."

OOC: In order to keep this mission from going too terribly long like this, I'd suggest either a smaller area to search and clear, or a casualty cap for OpFor to trigger an end when all that's left is the stationary, non-attacking AI squads out on the fringes of the zone. The first twenty minutes were beautiful, with the Takistanis literally swarming us from every direction but South.

Forts
Deployed as Bravo Squad Medic
"... ... ..." Not much to be said about this mission. Bravo went mountain climbing. I, being a good responsible medic, stayed in defilade from everything, watched our six, and called out our friends in Bravo 3 as enemies before I was corrected. Too used to being swarmed by Takistanis, and I had a flashback before I remembered that I was a Takistani. Man, those past lives really get to ya.

Mike's assessment was spot on. We didn't lose a single person in Bravo. I would know, 'cuz I had nothin' to do the whole time! :v: No video, unless you guys absolutely love cross-country marathons.

Cholo
Deployed as da po-po :cop:
"BEEP...BEEP...BEEP...BEEP...BEEP...BEEP...BEEP!!!" These drug-addled rockers are crazy. They think we have drugs! We wish we had drugs, to blot out the memory of all the terrifying horrors the drug-addled rockers have visited upon the sleepy, quiet community of Zargabad. But no! No chemical escape from the terrors of the night! In fact, all the worse - they're coming for our flesh! Our soft, cushy, donut-gorged flesh! It's my flesh! I want to keep it! I want to liiiiiiiive!

nope.avi

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

Moonlit
B2 AR
Upon my return to frontline service, I was eager for some Glory. I was sure comrade Danny was just the man to generate it, so I joined Bravo squad as AR. However, the glory was seldom to be had, though there were much exploding, which was also nice.

Arrival
A1 AAR
Suffice to say, we had one hell of an initial engagement. Right off the bat I was forced to start moonlighting as a medic, before running off into the relative cover of the airfield tower. We met some heavy resistance at the gate, exacerbated by increasingly severe ammunition shortage and heavy losses sustained by A2 (which, admittedly, helped the ammo situation a bit). Still, we pushed on, cleared the neighboring village, exiting just in time to witness the superb (crash)landing of our very own assault chopper. I don't know what was more amazing, the fact that the chopper was intact upon crashing down completely empty, that both crew survived, or that it landed straight on top of an OPFOR company. The only way it would be more impressive would be if the OPFOR were alive at the time.
We RVed with the flyboys, and cleared the rest of the area with no major incidents. Still, I couldn't shake the feeling something was missing

Fort
A3 AAR
Ah, right, the dying.
We advanced to the first village with no major contacts, and were promptly peppered with RPG fire. I snuffed it soon after, and sadly had to end the session a little prematurely. I hear, however, that the brigade completed the mission successfully, and managed to qualify for the Takistan national long distance running team!
[/allegedly]

fer

Post by fer »

Moonless

CO: Fer
|- M: Ajax

Moonless is one of the few Folk missions that sees much of the platoon equipped with scoped rifles; but, being Folk, there is a catch: the night-sight on an FN FAL causes its user to suffer from the same temporary blindness issues as standard NVGs. Moving and shooting can be a challenge.

The ambush area provides a perfect killing ground, with the enemy infantry column hemmed in between the steep sides of the valley and our men shooting down. The satchels multiply the damage, and then to these two factors I added one other. It's something that was taught to me by a comrade from the early days of Folk (who was, I believe, a current or former soldier): Bravo would fire first from the southern ridge, drawing the enemy's attention first, then a few seconds later Alpha and Charlie would pop up from the northern ridge and find the enemy facing way from them (Bravo was at liberty to withdraw at this point).

Premature detonation of the satchels, and what looked (from afar) to be over-eagerness from Alpha/Charlie meant the ambush ran slightly off-plan, but the bulk of the enemy column was wiped out in under a minute. Technicals came racing up the road to investigate and were dealt with clinically. It was almost perfect. Ordering Alpha/Charlie to move north-east and take up positions around the sniper team on the high mountain, I moved with Bravo on a parallel route, skirting along the southern ridge line as it turns north-east and eventually comes in towards the east of the target settlement.

The sniper team had been doing a great job of locating and marking the high value targets, patiently getting on with this task whilst the rest of the platoon had conducted the ambush. Kudos to comrades Black Mamba and Waffly for using the sniper/spotter roles to support everyone else. When Alpha/Charlie joined the snipers, we already had a great idea of where to hit the enemy.

Bravo's movement after the ambush had been slower, but with good reason: the tail of the enemy column had survived the ambush, requiring Bravo's fireteams to pause and finish the job. Up near the snipers, comrade Bodge was anxious about the degree to which Alpha/Charlie was exposed and asked for permission to advance. Ideally, I had wanted Bravo in position first to act as a base of fire, but in the event it was better to trust the ASL's judgement. The sniper team was put at liberty to fire on ZU crews and the assault began. Urging Bravo on to its next waypoint (from where it was to support Alpha's advance with fires), I moved along the ridge line until I had a good view of the settlement from the south-east.

The next phase of the mission passed smoothly. Alpha/Charlie reached the buildings safely and began to clear the area west of the T-junction. Bravo quickly transitioned from a support to an assault role and did the same on the east side. Before too long, we had eliminated all enemy troops and only a few static targets remained to be destroyed.

From the perspective of an infantry commander, nothing that flies and shoots unguided rockets is safe, regardless of its markings. So, before bringing in the Hind I asked everyone to find some hard cover from which to watch the fireworks. The big beast made a few runs at the final target, and we all enjoyed watching the rockets arc across the night sky.

Except for comrade Wolfenswan, who watched the rockets fly into his face.

:argh:

Arrival SE

Charlie SL: Fer
|- M: Cap

Ordered to secure the hamlet south-east of the airstrip as soon as possible, I didn't waste any time, moving my fireteams into jumping-off positions a little way up the ridge to our south. C1 and C2 were to be the assaulting force, cresting and moving eastward into the hamlet. C3 and MMG1 would be our base of fire, covering the advance from a spot further up the slope.

In the event, C3/MMG1 didn't have too many targets, and C1 and C2 fought their way directly into the hamlet relatively easily. I tasked both with clearing through to the eastern side, C2 north of the road and C1 to the south. Our base of fire was to continue as security up the slope. However, the enemy had different plans.

Infantry began to assault us across open ground to the east. This might not have been a problem, except that two tanks appeared from the north-east and quickly moved right onto our positions, eventually moving to block our escape route back to the airstrip. We were sandwiched.

Quite independently, comrade CO Bodge had ordered me to disengage and pull Charlie back to the airstrip. C3 and MMG1 were able to comply, but - along with C1 and C2 - I found myself trapped in the hamlet. Between the tanks and advancing enemy infantry, over half of Charlie was getting crushed. HAT1 and our own AT chaps couldn't quite finish the second tank, and whilst we remained pinned the enemy troops were moments away from overrunning our position.

By the time the - frankly, beautiful - arc of chain gun fire from the Apache connected with the second tank, it was almost too late. Of the 10 that had entered the hamlet (including myself and medic Cap), 7 would perish. The FTL of C2, Black Mamba, was the sole surviving member of his fireteam. None of C1 made it back. Twice, comrade Cap and I were engaged by enemies at point blank range, and twice I would have been killed were it not for my medic.

When the tank was finished, we scrambled back to C3, MMG1 and HAT1. Including attachments, I still had a reasonably effective force, but there was no time to re-organise, because comrade CO Bodge had already re-tasked us. Moving north, first to the control tower (where HAT1 detached from us), we relieved Alpha at the airstrip's northern gate. Along the way, we'd picked up an SOV HMMWV, and for a moment it looked like we would be staying put for a while. MMG1 gained some elevation by climbing the control tower and provided us all with additional cover. For the first time in the mission, I felt like I could catch my breath - but I was mistaken.

Bravo was being ordered to take the hamlet north-west of the airstrip, and we were to support. With C3 and MMG1 on foot, I hopped into the SOV as driver; Black Mamba was already on the AGL and now our medic, Cap, was in temporary charge of the forward MG. Moving parallel to the northern fence line, we advanced westward, eventually taking up position on a spur that afforded us overwatch of Bravo's advance. For a period we were putting sporadic fire out in various directions - grenades at distant foot mobiles on the airstrip's western end, heavy calibre machine gun rounds at a technical to our far north, plenty of 5.56 at the village itself. Bravo took the objective without incident.

Afterwards, we moved south to the oil refinery, eliminating a foot patrol along the way (spotted by our ever-vigilant C3). That objective offered no resistance, so we swung north towards the final settlement, hoping to join the attack as Alpha came in from the east. Halfway there, we engaged another patrol, MMG1 doing some particularly effective work from atop and drilling platform. Delayed, we could only watch as Alpha hit the settlement and finished the party.

Forts

CO: Wolfenswan
|- M: Fer

Fer: "Is it okay to bring the vehicle up to your position?"
Wolfenswan: "Yes."
brrrm brrrrrm brrrrrrrrrrrrrrm
Initialising spectator script.

:fry:

Cholo

Look, officer, I don't know nothing about no assault on precinct 13 (but hey, I heard that dude, whatshisname, Tigershark, I heard he assaulted yo' ass!). Wait, wait. Not the face! Alright, alright! Last thing I remember, I'm getting high in the back of some dude's car. Next thing I know, I'm standing here wasting my freakin' time with you bozos. Do I get my 'phone call now?

++

It was a really enjoyable session, particularly in regard to organisation and comms. Thanks to all the comrades who came along - I hope to see you again on Sunday.

zitron

Post by zitron »

As the Hind pilot, I would like to apologize for FF. Here's what happened. I ordered Ghandis to fire on what looked like a truck at the target marker. I aimed slightly short to get a nice spread while I walk the cross-hair over the target. Ghandis fired a very short burst, so they all landed slightly short. Then someone on TS yelled "higher" (as you can hear on the YT video) so he fired again, but by that point I was no longer aimed at the target, so the rocket flew off randomly. In the Hind, after you fire the rockets in NVG, you are basically blind for a short while, which may have contributed to the accident.

I will be reflecting on my mistakes while attending the re-education service at the party flight school.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

BONUS FOOTAGE
And this, comrades, is why positive target ID is critical to our agrarian revolution. This is also why you should not have yours truly watching your flanks :laugh:

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."