[Sun] 02 Dec 2012 (The Finale)

How we died
SpecialSoup

Re: [Sun] 02 Dec 2012 (The Finale)

Post by SpecialSoup »

Swept SE

MASSIVE Apologies to Fer and the rest of my fireteam. As AAR my connection was constantly timing out and I missed the majority of this mission.

Feruzablues
C1 FTL.
AR: Kefirz
AAR: Toppometer
AT/Grenadier: Legs

This was a good fireteam to lead. The MG pair was instantly effective at spotting targets and laying down fire. As we moved up, things stayed mostly quiet until a SPG technical scored a Direct hit on Legs sending him 50+M over our heads. His sacrifice was not in vain as Comrade Toppometer managed to resupply the ammo he was burning through at an incredible rate.

After the FT ran into trouble with notorious disciplinarian StrangLove, first for picking up some native weaponry, then shooting Phalanx in the back (I take the blame for this, we were expecting enemy contacts and failed to inform my fireteam we had friendlies past the crest of the hill) and finally engaging irrelevant targets, we played an awkward waiting game with a DshKm bunker. While moving over difficult ground it opened up leaving me and Kefirz stranded and we were cut to pieces.

Toppometer went on to advance into the town.

Finale XL
Echo FTL
A fitting way to bow out.

We positioned, anticipating a flanking force which didn't materialise and getting completely muddled up with which fireteam leader was who. From then on it was all action. I ordered Kev to move to a more effective firing position and just as he set off a tank barged through the wall. It gunned me and Kev down before Halop managed to decrew it. Sadly at this moment he turned his back and the crew fired on him. I fired blindly from a downed position, catching two of them but also accidently grazing Daf who was down wounded. More tanks turned up and soon the only one left was SuperU. I would have a majestic video showing the events, but sadly the files are corrupted.

Workshop AAR:

First up I cocked up by logging out of admin while the server was on a 2 player mission. As such, we had no admin and no one could join :siiigh: Fortunately it was rectified before the workshop was due to start.

I took the FTL spot unaware that I was supposed to know the squad movement drill. I however picked it up quickly.
The second drill caught me out as I'd never done anything like it before. I normally only take squad lead on the defending side in missions or when assaulting through forests which requires a completely different approach. I feel I did well, although I could have been a bit more vocal. With the amount of fire there were times when fireteams struggled to hear each other and orders had to be repeated.

Building clearance - great job. This was a good mission.

Chak Chak - 'If we're gonna get shot down it'll be around now' 'this thing will stay up'
Famous last words
Last edited by SpecialSoup on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Special, go ahead and drop in a paragraph about the workshop - it's as much a part of the Sunday session now as the afterparty where we exhaust ourselves on drugs and copkilling! (Hello nice friendly men in FBI caps!)

Workshop
After some unfortunate experiences with the wounding and killing power of Tiger's ricochets, we practiced our standard intra-fire team work, continuing in our tradition of excellence in destroying sandbag walls with bullets. We transitioned over into a variation of the past two weeks' BOF / Assault maneuvering, at which we succeeded marvelously, then over to a new exercise I had thrown together a matter of minutes before the start of the workshop. Haste, unfortunately, is the enemy of intelligence, as I had forgotten that teleport was a finicky bastard in the workshop. most of us went in on a Blackhawk, and I forgot to warn Tigershark the pilot that there was an entire patrol of AA infantry within the town we were to assault.

:laugh:

So we switched instead to 203 practice, and all was good.

Swept
Deployed as OpFor Bravo Squad Leader
This valley apparently hates me, given that I perform pretty poorly in command here. Bravo squad was originally assigned a nice, flat, open depression, fully visible to any potential hidey-hole the insurgents might have squirreled themselves away into. Luckily, the Platoon Commander was amiable to my notion of taking a ridge-top position, one that would have paid dividends...

Except IndFor had established a firing position on the opposite side of the valley, shielded from Alpha by a big honkin' rock, but with perfect enfilade fire down Bravo's left flank. Oops!

Thankfully, my squad was made up of intelligent people doing intelligent things, such as throwing out smoke grenades when we came under such heavy fire. Thankfully, my dudes responded quickly and well when I told them to pull back for medical attention. Thankfully, my medic Daf put his head in the way of a Takistani 5.45mm bullet-- Wait a second, that's not a good thing.

Spooked by not noticing which direction my character was considering "Front" when his eagle eyes saw shit that I couldn't, I was thoroughly convinced for several minutes that Takis were flanking us to the southeast on top of some commanding terrain that would not have been useful for us, but was sure giving me the heeby-jeebies. Unfortunately, I couldn't move my squad, because half of us were torso-boys, and I rang up Alpha to borrow their medic, who decided to make a beeline for us.

Across the front slope of the hill we were protected by.

Torso-boys! Onward to victory, and only then will you drink from the wine chalice and receive your legs anew! I left the dudes with spinal injuries behind to serve as an impromptu base-of-fire while me and the two other ambulatory dudes maneuvered closer to assault. Unfortunately, we still had sod-all for cover and came under fire where I thought we'd be safe. So we moved another hundred meters and cowered behind a rock where I realized that 1) I was out of support from my BOF, and 2) it didn't matter, 'cuz Soviet let me know that everyone in my BOF team had been pretty much picked off one-by-one.

Right then. Time for the final charge. Me and the other dude with a GP-25 laid down as many smoke rounds against the nearby compound as we could, and then I realized it wasn't nearly enough to obscure the three of us running forth. IndFor was hiding, but my two dudes left were decent marksmen, so I decided to take one for the team and run rabbit, fully expecting to get shot, but also expecting my two pals to kill whoever shot me. 1-for-1 is a decent trade, methinks.

Well, they did shoot the guy who shot me. And then I hit the wall of the compound and heard an IndFor dude yammering in in-game VON on the other side! I turned into the doorway and shot him, then came around the side and mowed down another as he dashed across the compound, oblivious to my presence. One of his pals then returned the favor as I cleared my left, and thus ended my unfortunate reign over Battlin' Bravo.

Feruzablues
Deployed as Alpha Squad Leader Platoon Commander
No sooner had we hit the dirt and secured our LZ then I found out that 2 dudes from Alpha 3 were wounded, 2 dudes from Alpha 2 were dead, and our esteemed CO Tiger had been sniped in the face, as witnessed by a shell-shocked Rawnix (he'll need some therapy for that one). Quickest field promotion ever. :eng101:

We picked up our wounded in Alpha, and I reassessed Tiger's plan. Looking at the map again, I took Tiger's plan and chucked it completely out the window (sorry Tiger!). Instead, I glommed Bravo and Charlie into one tactical blob and wielded them like a machete to Alpha's scalpel. Keeping Fer's illustrious demonstration of mutual support in last week's "Ashore" fresh on my mind, I shifted Bravo and Charlie from height to height across the valleys that Alpha advanced through while SuperU and Halop's Mk.19 Stryker provided a truly epic amount of fire support to Alpha that I cannot thank them enough for. The basic doctrine in this case was that Alpha maneuvered down the confined valleys and tight-in urban spaces whilst one of the Base of Fire squads covered and the other provided security for the covering squad. it was an improvised plan, but it served our purposes quite well until I, in a horrific slip-up in my mental juggling skills, mistakenly positioned Charlie on a barren hillside in full view of not one, but two horrible phallic death-machines that wolfenswan loves like night itself mounted SPGs.

Needless to say, I was only maneuvering Alpha and Bravo after that.

Alpha hooked around the valleys to the west and entered Feruz-Abad proper, at which time Charlie was erased by those giant automatic-HE spewing dildos mounted SPGs, and Bravo overextended itself while I wasn't paying attention and ended up on the opposite side of the city from Alpha where neither could support the other. At that point, the IFV got bogged down shooting at a BTR-60 over a klick away, Bravo got bogged down by multiple casualties (including the illustrious Fer himself), and I forgot to get Alpha to watch its ass, resulting in Wolfenswan and I getting shot from behind at murderously close range.

What followed was some of the greatest tactical zerging of an objective I have ever seen, punctuated by yet another penis penis penis penis penis mounted SPG hitting a grand total of seven (7) dudes all crouched behind one rock due to sniper and BTR-60 fire and Mamuto repeatedly smashing an Mi-8 in the face with an AGS-30 whilst someone else peppered it with DShKM rounds.

A beautiful run of a beautiful mission. Many thanks to you comrades for being patient with my obsession with making sure a BOF was always covering Alpha's movements. Expect to see a Commander's Critique Caption Commentary on this particular mission once I have time to go through the assembled video for two hours!

A preview of things to come:

<<Placeholder for Longer Video>>

Finale
Deployed as Charlie M-60 Dude
I love M-60's. I love them so much I was almost going to take on T-55's with mine. Then I remembered that that would be classified as a bad idea so I obeyed Black Mamba's orders to stay back until our guerrilla friends were engaged. Then I lit the fuck out of everything that moved. At first I was spraying more or less at random in places I knew the enemy was moving, but then I found my groove, and Takistani bitches dropped like flies. The bad Takistanis. Not our fwiends. The bad guys. Total score by the end: 10 kills, 5 of them machinegunners - apparently I don't think anyone else is good enough to wield the awesome power of the M-60. Except for Mamuto. He can wield my M-60 any day, if you know what I mean. And I think you do know what I mean. Don't you?*

All in all, quite the fitting end to an era... and the beginning of the next:

Thank you to all the comrades who've come along for the ride, a special thank you to my pal Soviet Sandvich who took the leap to join us, and another special thank you to the dudes from Project Awesome who hitched their horses to the conestoga for the evening. Catch you all next Sunday!

:clint: ~ Ferrard

* I mean sex. Lots and lots of sex. With an M-60.
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

DarkTatka

Post by DarkTatka »

Comrade general secretary, what does the change from Folk to Folk ARPS mean to us?

Halop

Post by Halop »

Swept SE
OPFOR
Alpha SL

The horror. I always feel guilt when I get my whole squad killed in a matter of minutes :D . But to Indie's credit, they were very well entrenched. We spotted an enemy on the hill to our North immediately and killed him. I sent one fireteam up on the hill to cover the other team's approach to the town. Then we got shot up from everywhere, both from the town AND the hill.

Decided that the team on the hill was too exposed to fire from both directions, I sent them down into the buildings. And that's when the killings started, I think we walked right into an enemy team's line of fire and got shot up by some very accurate AR fire. And that's where my command knowledge ends, does anyone knows what to do in this situation? It was impossible to retreat, I lost half of my squad, I decided to stay firm and wait for Bravo to distract the enemy by their attack or something.

Staying firm meant that more enemies could get their guns on our position and we all got killed very soon. But in hindsight I guess I should have ordered a general fallback, there would be casualties, but at least someone would be alive.

Feruzablues
IFV1 Driver

Yay, I got myself a toyslot atlast. But I wasn't prepared for the Folk no 3rd person server setting, the whole mission I was feeling like I was glued to a monitor screen, with a very narrow field of view. I only followed orders by SuperU like "Move up 2 telegraph poles", and "STOPSTOPSTOP". And hearing the muffled sound of our Mk19 grenade launcher as SuperU was sending democracy to the insurgents.

We advanced slowly behind Alpha, and I thought to myself that maybe the tincan can survive a mission for once. Nope, sneaky BTR-60 got us at the end.

The times in between action, when I could turn out of the Stryker and look around with my virtual head, it felt so good :o

Finale XL
Echo AT

"This is the end"
I think I was one of the last people to die in this mission. After expending my rockets at the tanks, I hurried to patch up my comrades. But the enemy has overrun us and killed all of us except myself, SuperU and Zitron (we were incapped). Here I was crawling around looking at the carnage - dead comrades, burning tanks, gunfire in the background as this song was playing, one of my best moments in arma multiplayer. I knew I was about to die, so I crawled under a tank and bled out there :hist101: . If I had survived a few more minutes I would be patched up by Macaco and joined Super's awesome charge. :(

Cholo
Charlie Gang senior

I have only one question, have the police ever won this mission? :lol:

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Just watched Carson's videos of Swept. Guess I'll have to apologize to everybody for my brains being absent during the session.
So, I answered my SL Ferrard, in group VON, just to be sure he could never hear me. I failed to inform him I was still alive, with legs, and had eyes on the compound he was about to assault. I killed our Alpha medic Rawrnix who had been shot down beforehand by the enemy (to be honest, I could never imagine a friendly would be on that position, and I would probably have died if I had tried to patch him up, but still). Then I missed a probably obvious dude inside a compound I was clearing.
Ain't I grand.

And a shitton of other stupidness.

SuperU

Post by SuperU »

All my videos have been posted. Enjoy!

Mamuto

Post by Mamuto »

Ferrard Carson wrote: * I mean sex. Lots and lots of sex. With an M-60.
Ferrard, I'll be your Assistant Automatic Rifleman any day. Just say when. Be ware though, I've never fired a M60 before. ifyouknowwhatimean :dance:

I watched your swept video, very interesting to see the mission from the other perspective. I was on the hill to your north east, and my fireteam was responsible for shooting all of your torsoboys. I was wondering why you guys were so exposed and weren't moving...

I want to make a few suggestions about the last few minutes of your game; take it or leave it, just some observations. I think you should have taken another guy with you on the rabbit run. One man assault on the compound is not a good idea and a RPK covering you guys should have been enough to suppress the enemy. Also, I was very afraid for you running half empty mags and semi fire inside the compound. Every bullet counts! Also, grenades!

Halop

Post by Halop »

Lol I only now realised that my VON was broken while I was IFV driver, guess I was the silent driver :mrgreen:

EDIT: Nope, it's just that Super wasn't recording VON, silly me.
Last edited by Halop on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Halop wrote:And that's where my command knowledge ends, does anyone knows what to do in this situation? It was impossible to retreat, I lost half of my squad, I decided to stay firm and wait for Bravo to distract the enemy by their attack or something.

Staying firm meant that more enemies could get their guns on our position and we all got killed very soon. But in hindsight I guess I should have ordered a general fallback, there would be casualties, but at least someone would be alive.
Given that I don't know exactly what happened with you dudes up north, here's my two cents:

Assuming that you were pinned from close range: Paradoxically, the best thing to do in this situation is attack into the teeth of the enemy. They have you pinned, friendly forces are too far away to actually support (sorry!), and you're fucked whether you stay still or move. The difference between your options is that by staying still, you'll get picked apart slowly with no chance to kill the enemy. By assaulting, you'll die a bit quicker, but there's also a 30-40% chance that you'll overrun the enemy, engage them in a short-range firefight, and come out on top.

If pinned from afar: Either smoke your escape route and disengage, or do what I accidentally did - smoke the enemy positions with GP, and perform a fast, violent assault.
Mamuto wrote:I think you should have taken another guy with you on the rabbit run. One man assault on the compound is not a good idea and a RPK covering you guys should have been enough to suppress the enemy. Also, I was very afraid for you running half empty mags and semi fire inside the compound. Every bullet counts! Also, grenades!
It's a valid critique, and in hindsight, knowing that I would make it to the compound, it would probably have been a good idea. At the time, though, we had received enough accurate fire and our smoke had been so ineffective that I was certain that I was going to bite it not five steps away from the rock. There's a reason I called it a "Rabbit Run" instead of an "Assault" :hist101:

And yeah, I tend to go to semi a lot. Probably shouldn't have in this case, but I didn't feel like cycling through... and a grenade into the building across the street from me would probably have done wonders for my survival, you're right! The more ya know! :eng101:

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Halop

Post by Halop »

By assaulting, you'll die a bit quicker, but there's also a 30-40% chance that you'll overrun the enemy, engage them in a short-range firefight, and come out on top.
Okay, next time - CHAAARGE! Run to the bullets, no step back :hist101:
But seriously, thanks for the advice, the workshop sounds like an awesome time to practice these kinds of things, but unfortunately it doesn't fit very well into my timeslot, so the unfortunate squad that I will be commanding some session will be death squad until I get the hang of it :D