[Sat] Unsung 08 Nov 2012 (Nothing bad happened .. no really)

How we died
Kefirz

[Sat] Unsung 08 Nov 2012 (Nothing bad happened .. no really)

Post by Kefirz »

So another Unsung session is behind us, we played only MBG Nam maps, and I must say that it all went very well (at least for me). Thank you to those who came.

We played:
VietCong
Bright side of the Moon
Wanderlust
Gooks in the wire

Post your AAR's and other session related stuff here.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

washington

Re: [Sat] Unsung 08 Nov 2012 (Nothing bad happened .. no rea

Post by washington »

Hadn't played Unsung for a very long while until last saturday - it was good fun! MGB 'Nam looked like a nice island as well with reasonably thick jungle and cute villages.

VietCong
Alpha SQ SMG Soldier under x25Killa. Setting up on the ridge line of a hill ca 200-250m SW of the first target that was a US weapons cache next to a small village, our squad started to call out infantry targets spread out in and around rice paddy fields and a 2x .50-cal MG weapons truck. Killa gave the command to "hold fire, aim for the truck". Half a minute or so later, he with cool and calm ordered "aaand fire" upon which the platoon eagerly started to hand out lead downhill. Around the time the truck was neutralized, the other team(s) started descending the hill towards the fields and huts from our right flank. We kept covering them with gunfire and in turn received some sporadic incoming gunfire. 1st SQ had one casualty on the hill but after being resuscitated the soldier in question "was fine".
Once the fighting had subsided, the platoon gathered herd of cat-like on the cache and some 'merican rifles were yoinked. Two or three enemy soldiers were straggling around the river going W-E near the village and were handled with ease by our mostly stand still platoon. Killa then pushed us over the bridge and in to cover next to the road where our second target *should* be appearing anytime now - an enemy inf patrol. The whole platoon fanned out in an crescent-shaped ambush-ready half moon of death. A mere 30 seconds passed when an enemy head popped up further down the road, heading straight towards the belly of the curved platoon line. Soon, however, that head disappeared in to the forest and a loud shotgun *BLAM* was heard. I do not know who got who in that single volley, but it did kick off a glorious battle. A lot of shooting at targets and a lot of shooting at might be targets was had. Two squad casualties, at least two more in the platoon and a squad sized number of enemy infantry KIA, including a jeep that I hadn't seen coming up on the road. Victory.

Bright side of the Moon
Huey Transport Pilot. Kalelovil and I were to extract three fire teams from a soon to be overrun firebase at the opposite end of the island with two helicopters. Slowly making our way towards the base, feeling the choppers out, Kale took the call for "get a chopper down here". I kept my huey in a CCW holding pattern ca 80m above terrain level as the other huey was filling up. The process was quite slow though because soldiers were having difficulties in reaching or even trying to reach the chopper. Sitting on the ground for a good couple of minutes, Kale took off. However, seconds after this, the CO called "we could have gotten more people on that huey - get it back" upon which I called out "I'll take it" (the reasoning behind this being only having one chopper on the ground at any one time to keep the odds of having at least one huey operational at any one time, considering the amount of incoming enemy fire). We both landed, 50m or so apart, waiting [hoping] for people to get on. After waiting ca 30s, getting three (or two?) people onboard and not seeing/hearing anyone else near, I increased collective and resumed a holding pattern. Now, the huey had a door gunner and the gunner made damn sure the weapon system worked. I don't recall him ever letting up whilst we saw and heard the other chopper and it's crew getting chewed up. When Kale got hit, I started making my way down towards his chopper but when getting close realizing that there were only one heavily wounded soldier crawling next to the chopper, all other being dead or incapped. Upon touching down, we went FOR GLORY. And died.

Wanderlust
Alpha 1 Grenadier under Phalanx. The platoon was tasked with clearing three villages roughly 1-2km between one and another. Out of the two hueys inserting us, only one was able to lift off again. Yeah, there's a "Throw Grenade" action menu option. Smooth. Once we were all on the ground and ready to move, the CO set Alpha 1 on the left flank in a inverted V platoon formation. Phalanx set A1 up in a beautiful diamond formation and we went in to the forest.
The first contact was with a couple of vietcong footmen 150m in to the jungle. They hadn't spotted us, but we had them. We initiated combat. A couple of underslung grenades and mags and they were dealt with and we kept moving. This would become the routine for 8ish or so other A1 contacts throughout our patrol, most with us coming under fire as fight trigger. Alpha 1 never took casualties during the operation, although an unusual amount of hits to the shins from small plants did arrest A1s movement and lower morale. ish.
The most action our fire team saw was when we were sent first up a steep hill to the second village. After an initial quiet minute slowly moving in towards the huts, staring down unarmed villagers, we came under rather heavy fire from several smaller groups in the jungle uphill from us on the other side of the village clearing. But we were spread out enough and in decent enough cover not to die. Heading back home, we had single enemy inf here and there to fight. But overall, a pretty quiet walk back to the LZ.

I missed the last mission, all in all good times!