[Sun] 16 Dec 2012 (Crasheola)

How we died
Bodge

[Sun] 16 Dec 2012 (Crasheola)

Post by Bodge »

And now we know why we don't use pricey hardware. Or Jip slots.

Defence in depth
Sahkeola
Ridge of the Valkyries
Recovery

After party - Outpost Bean!

Please post your thoughts and reports below. Thanks for playing and see you on Tuesday.

Cuddlefish

Re: [Sun] 16 Dec 2012 (Crasheola)

Post by Cuddlefish »

Defense in Depth - Bravo 1? Automatic Rifle for Indies

Lay around, watching for movement in the darkness, listening to fighting happen elsewhere. Curse the near misses from grenade launchers on your position. Take fire from that gate you had been suspicious about but wasn't your sector. Return a full RPK drum, but hit noone. Add three bullets to chest cavity, mix well. Serves one (1).

Sahkeola - Alpha 1, AAR for Blufor

This one was also quick in terms of my lifespan. We managed to get ourselves into a fairly nasty ambush - I got hit badly in the first round of fire, and either bled out or was hit again as we were pinned down behind a building and my teammate attempted to revive me.

Ridge of the Valkyries - Alpha 1? AAR

We boarded our choppers and headed out - and knew from the start this mission was going to be hard. We landed the Mi-8 and spread to provide security, only to see one of our men carried away, clinging frantically to the wheel of our departing chopper. There was then a loud explosion, which we ascertained to be Bravo and the Support team's chopper having a rather rough landing. Then we - [FISSION MAILED]

Ridge of the Valkyries - MMG Gunner

The insertion and initial walk up went rather painlessly - we came under ineffective fire from some bunkers which were then neutralized by a mixture of sniper fire and close air support. The first real engagement consisted, from my POV, of attempting to deliver support fire to targets at 6-800 meters. As I finally started to get used to the long range, spotter assisted fire the MMG is made for, I took a round to the face, as the second BLUFOR casualty.

Recovery - Charlie AAR

The thick bushes made it very difficult to spot targets, even without the psychedelic filters that foiled my efforts the last time I'd played on this map. Our team moved with Bravo to secure a truck full of valuable, top secret military engine hardware. The enemy was unskilled, but well equipped and fanatically brave; rushing to hand to hand distance at the slightest provocation with no thought to seeking cover or laying down suppression fire. When we secured our truck our two teams had been whittled into one, and then to make matters worse the truck was completely empty of fuel. At this point we discovered that the Alpha and JIP elements who were intended to secure fuel had been killed in action. We set out to secure the fuel ourselves after a brief state of siege in a barn, only to walk into an ambush. All of us dropped in the space of ten seconds.

The Bean Wars of Cherno

The shot loaded, automatic shotguns seemed a bit more effective than semi-auto, slug loaded shotguns at crowd control. That being said, suffering a 90-degree spinal adjustment at the neck tends to render any weapon system ineffective.

Finale

While attempting to configure an SPG, I contemplated the nature of things. Of life. Of matter. Of mind. I transcended my physical limitations, becoming one with the world around me. Specifically a wall. It was pretty chill.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Defence in depth

After attending my first workshop (which by the way is great!), I decided my confidence was finally high enough to select a FTL position for this mission, ease my self into it - only for us not to take SL and as I was B1 lead, I had command of the entire Bravo squad. Not what I had in mind for my first attempt, fair enough was only B1 and B2 under my command but found it rather daunting but enjoyed it greatly. My comms weren't frequent enough and I was slightly clueless but we pushed to the castle wall, breached and ended up defending the castle from the defenders who found themselves outside of the walls lol. Only lost 1 or 2 guys throughout the mission, success for a first time FTL/SL position!

Sahkeola

Grenadier under SpecialSoup for this one in Bravo 1 I believe - Many of Alpha died, 2 Caches secured in the process. Bravo moved into town, took GP rounds, called in chopper support, took more fire. Lost Skabooga to a man we thought we had killed (the building had collapsed onto him after a number of grenades had been launched onto his position). Got shot up some more, got the final and third cache (I think).

Ridge of the Valkyries

Confidence sky high, I took Charlie FTL, thinking I'll be safe from any other extra responsibility. Only to be assigned leader of 'Team 2' who were positioned overlooking Anar with 'Support'. Many thanks to ConcreteOtter (B2) and my FT for their patience in yet again another daunting situtation for me haha. Was a slightly messy one this, I died all of a sudden and decided I'd call it a night after finding my first grey hair - only 23, not good!!

All in all, a great session. Enjoyed stepping up to a FTL, not so much as a SL lol. All we need now is FER to get his arse back on here and all will be right with FA!!

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Workshop
We did a marvelous run of the workshop today, with a whole squad showing up. After the standard fire-team drills, we briefly practiced BOF / Assaulting, only to find that the AI was angry with us. After a fresh re-start, we performed a practice mission to near-perfection - Alpha 2 found commanding terrain from which they covered Alphas 1 and 3 into a compound filled with bad dudes. We put into practice the notion of leaving the wounded and continuing our assault, and the compound was cleared quite handily. Afterwards, I kicked the workshop over to our fancy new EXPLOSIVES RANGE! In it, you have a crapton of AT and grenade launcher stuff, and a crapton of targets at varying distances. Here, we practiced our skillshots until the start of the session.

Defense in Depth
Deployed as BLUFOR Commander
First off, can I just say that we really need to spawn closer to the objective? Navigating backroads for three klicks before we get to our target via the most direct route is a little silly. If INDFOR has to wait for a while before contact, then let that be a conscious choice by BLUFOR. Also, the massive disparity in equipment made BLUFOR feel a bit like cheating, not that I wasn't going to use that disparity for all it was worth.

Now, on to the actual mission: Once we reached our dismount point to the southeast of Devil's Castle, we piled out of our humvees and advanced northwest through the forests that would take us nearly to the front gate. I moved every up slowly and cautiously, bounding our teams at a walking pace for about 50-100m increments. Everyone was to open fire immediately upon seeing contacts.

The idea behind this plan was simply to maximize our advantages - We had NVGs, they didn't. We had awesome weapons, they didn't. The only way they could even that advantage was either by close-range ambush, or by tearing us apart across open terrain. By moving through the woods, we had ample concealment to prevent long-range fire from picking us off. By moving extremely slowly (either standing walk or crouching run at most) we were more likely to spot the enemy with our NVGs than they were to see us without.

It worked. Maybe because the enemy wasn't patrolling that area of the woods and just had a single sentry that we seemed to have caught off guard. Whoever that unlucky soul was got taken out by a double-tap from an AR. We made it to the treeline, when Bravo on the right started taking fire from their flank. Alpha had a better field of fire to provide support, and Bravo was likely to have enemies in their rear soon, so I had Bravo charge to the gate, followed shortly thereafter by Alpha. We piled in through the front gate and holes in the wall, Bravo pushing through while Alpha returned a veritable fusillade of fire back at the enemies trying to circle behind us, and we were into Devil's Castle. After a minute or so of clearing, we found ourselves in possession of the place, fending off any NAPA trying to sneak back into "their" castle, and the last INDFOR wandered into someone's sights and died, netting us the win!

Sahkeola
Deployed as INDFOR Bravo 1 FTL
Bravo was assigned the northern cache, with 1 defending it and 2 acting as a "quick"-reaction-force. When the BLUFOR chopper arrived, Bravo 2 "quick"ly got destroyed by the landed BLUFOR troops, and Bravo 1 was left holed up in two three-story buildings near the Northern Cache. I'd split Red and Blue teams between the two, and Doofling and Kev were quickly pinned and slaughtered, but not before I was able to peg a BLUFOR dude in the face with a GP-25. That's a closed-casket funeral for sure.

After that, me and Dan tucked ourselves away in the bowels of our building, watching the cache with an eagle eye, fingers on the detonators of our IED's. And then they brought the building down on top of us. Sustained minigun fire obliterated the third floor and part of the second, and we heard voices near us. American voices. Dan and I triggered our IEDs to rattle them, since they weren't going to help anyways (Kev and Doofling had the detonators to the northern-facing IEDs) and I ran down, shot a SAW dude in the face, and got lit up and slaughtered afterwards.

All in all though, Bravo Squad is Ghost Squad, and we did a fair bit of haunting after our untimely deaths, as evidenced by the way that BLUFOR, in their paranoia, took fifteen minutes to clear the northern sector of the search area where zero (0) INDFOR remained. The view from the grave was quite satisfying even if I only got two kills. The psychological damage we wrought was worth all the effort! :dance:

Ride of Valkyries
Deployed as Alpha FTL / Team One Squad Leader
At the reins to Team One, consisted of Alpha and Bravo FTL's, I piled my dudes into a chopper and then we all piled out at the LZ... only for Lord Penny to somehow super-jump above the chopper and latch himself onto the top of the rotor-blade assembly. I WAS JUST JOKING LAST ROUND WHEN I SAID SOMEONE WAS RIDING ON THE ROTOR BLADES! Shortly thereafter, Porpoise 2 exploded for reasons unknown, and the entire platoon woke up a minute later from a very, very strange nightmare.

Embarking on our journey for the very definitively first time, our squads dismounted again and made it to the rendez-vous point with nary a problem. Team 1 climbed the northern hill, Team 2 the southern, upon which we discovered that both locations were occupied by angry-angry MG bunkers. Rather than use our fancy tactics like "Fix" and "Flank," we called in air-support instead. Our very own cannon / rocket equipped L-39 came in for a beautiful run on our target... parallel to our axis of movement. The rockets, flying far, very nearly ended the entirety of Team 1.

Hint for calling CAS: For the love of god, never call in CAS parallel to our axis of advance. Always call it in perpendicular, down the line of troops, such that over-shooting, under-shooting, or ricochets won't land rounds in the midst of friendlies.

Team 1 achieved beautiful position on the top of the hill, and Team 2 did the same on theirs... and then support couldn't engage the MMG's raining fire down on our position. These MMGs were 600+ meters away, far outside our effective range, but this was why we had an MMG and Sniper team, right?

Nope, Air Support. Our newly discovered Mi-24D Hind did one run on the wrong target and then smashed into a hillside upon egress. Something about higher-piloting-functions being impaired by a 7.62mm bullet. In the mean-time, our L-39 smashed into a fence upon landing to rearm its rockets, leaving us with none of the toys we started with. The bake sale organizers are going to be sooo angry with us...

After such a well-positioned start though, we suddenly began tactical-blobbing the valley. Our forces got bogged down when everyone was pulled off of overwatch and sent straight down into the valley. One of my team members got swallowed by the earth, and we were slowly whittled down until Team One was comprised of 4 dudes, and the mission was called for the platoon's complete lack of ability to move faster than a light jog.

Recovery
Deployed as Alpha "AR"
AR my ass, I was handed a PKP on one of the worst terrain'd maps in the history of ArmA. All the highest ground was the same height as everything else, and there was grass freakin' everywhere. What this meant was that only once was I able to set up my MG in an effective firing position, and the lack of any use of covering-fire vs. movement showed in the way that we were progressively slaughtered despite our (too) fancy equipment.

After-party: Outpost Bean
We all died as DayZ newbies swarmed over our bodies, craving the beans we guarded :dance:

After-party II: Outpost Bean - Hard Rain edition
See above, but with more waterlogged AA-12's.

After-party III: 10-person Finale
Gong-1 wouldn't float after a T-55 cored it. Imagine that. Afterwards, I died as the three survivors tried to get our SPG to work.

Great fun as always! Remember to join FA for our Tuesday Sessions, Throwback Thursdays, and the ever-lovely mod-sessions! Stay sexy!

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

SpecialSoup

Post by SpecialSoup »

This was probably my favourite Folk/TT session so far. Not just because I got to land a jet tail first.

Defence in depth

Who needs outlandish flanking manouevers when you have co-ordinated, contolled movement through a forest? Under the watchful eye of Wilson we bounded, breached and cleared, did some healing and shooting of people, and eradicated the enemy.

Sahkeola

B1 FTL / BSL

I REALLY enjoyed this mission. I had to do a lot of shouting and there was some heated moments, but I managed to survive until the end and my fireteam was very effective at clearing compounds. We didn't find much in the way of enemy troops or caches, but managed to secure two IEDs while Bravo2 had all the fun. Bodge's fireteam provided good covering fire for Alpha as they swept to the north. When the time for the final push came, the noble concept of keeping the highground lead to B2's downfall and with B1 the only remaining fireteam, we held position while the chinook used some... unconventional manoeuvres.
Credit to Skabooga, Danny and Wilson for being hugely reliable in the circumstances... and apologies to Skabooga for telling you a building was clear when it very much wasn't.

Ridge of the Valkyries

CAS
This was my first time flying as anything other than transport.

Thankfully, due to the calamities in the first run most people missed the fact I bailed out of my jet when it was moving at 80kph on the runway while trying to adjust my flaps. Due to Arma's interesting parachute model I survived but my plane began to mantle a mountain. Embarrassing situation spared.

Following some useful advice from Ferrard I adjusted to provide fire that wasn't just more effective but less likely to be deadly to friendly troops. I fired rockets at a few targets, landed, rearmed, came back and managed to blow up an enemy squad moving down the main road. At this point the valley was mostly clear so I decided to land before the next stage of the plan. I did come in a bit too low and seeing the fence decided to pull up, except a bit too drastically. The tail of the plane smashed into the ground and the plane was engulfed by flames. Lesson learnt; Don't get cocky on approaches, and the ground is harder than a fence.

Fortunately the mission was called not very long afterwards and I would likely not have had another mission anyway.

Recovery

CO.

I had everyone move towards the large crater, and from there split into two groups. For some reason Bodge's AI was emptying all their ammo into a disabled SUV and in an attempt to calm them I got inside it so it would display as friendly. They did not stop. One group went on to complete their objective, the other hit a lot of resistance and failed.

Outpost Bean

Overwhelmed.

Finale

Cuddlefish became a wall. I managed to regain control of my legs and bodily functions while in the Wounded state. Everything blew up.

SuperU

Post by SuperU »

Toppometers insertion will be remembered!

Toppometer

Post by Toppometer »

The camera never lies... :oops:

In my defence, it went much better the second time around and I've got a *long* way to go until I beat Alex's record on wrecking aircraft... :D

Mamuto

Post by Mamuto »

Not my favorite session, I think my heart was just not with it this Sunday.

Defence in depth
Alpha 2 FTL.

We were tasked with defending the East and South East. So we got hit first. Joe, my AR, got sniped instantly. I threw grenades and tried to return fire but I had no idea where they were. Our CO tried to turn the search light but fell off the platform and died. Bodge and Zitron tried to flank from the north but by then I got clipped by a well placed grenade and bled out. We ended up assaulting our own position which clearly didn't work out too well.

Ionno, NVGs really make pretty one sided as it's really pitch black. It may have worked out better if we sat inside the castle the entire time.. Blufor definitely needs to start closer, there was a lot of sitting around staring into the blackness waiting for the bullets to come flying. Sorry Joe :(

Sahkeola
Alpha 1 FTL / Alpha 1 SL
Was not expecting to lead both fireteams on this one so I think I botched it up a bit. Sorry Cuddle, Joe, and the poor sumbitch that watched me get torn apart by a GP. I made a bad call to poke out from around the corner instead of waiting for Alpha 2 to move up and suppress. Maybe throwing some smokes would have been also good. I was just really sad that both Cuddle and Joe died within minutes of landing. Lesson learned: Maneuver Without Fire Is Lethal.

Also, too many grenades and not enough RPGs. I vote the grenadiers on the defending side get replaced with AT. That would prevent the OP miniguns of the chopper from dominating the AO. I also prefer gunfights as opposed to flinging GPs back and forth but that may be just me.

Ridge of the Valkyries
Bravo 2 FTL
Lost our AR when he ran up the hill against orders and got shot by the bunker. Then we almost got hit by the CAS which was epic. Then we assaulted the valley, but lost any sort of tactical behavior. I got shot in the head and ragequit for the night.

Sorry guys, one sided missions make me grouchy :(
Hopefully I'll be more with it next week and be able to lead well.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

I COME BEARING GIFTS OF ARCHIVED FOOTAGE OF BADASSERY OF ALL STRIPES! Also of long walks in Chernarussian woods.

Also a specific shoutout to Wilson: good job first-time squad(ish) commanding. As we make more missions with F2 2-7-0, hopefully we'll stop having to dragoon random FTL's into being impromptu squad leads, but ya done good.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Cheers mate. Appreciate it. Twice I chose an FTL position only to be upgraded to squad lead in that session. Enjoyed it though, helps with good people on your team and commanding making things easier!