[Sun] 23 Dec 2012 (are we in an Instagram?)

How we died
fer

[Sun] 23 Dec 2012 (are we in an Instagram?)

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • MailMan
  • Red Snow (limited objectives)
  • CordonBLUFOR
  • BlackFolkDown (limited objectives)
  • Swept LE (coop)
  • Village Clearance
  • Cholo
  • Cholo (again)
  • Fodder
  • Vintage 01
Well, that was something of an epic. Even though the Party frowns upon religion (opiate of the masses etc.), subversive religious holidays like Christmas meant fewer comrades than usual were able to grab their AKs and head to the front. However, our turnout was respectable enough to provide nearly two squads of brave fighters, who continued shooting at the enemy (and sometimes each other) for an amazing 4 hours. There were helicopter gunships, exploding tanks and lots of death - but also some surprisingly effective inter-fireteam work, especially in Swept LE and Village Clearance. Thank you to all for coming along tonight.

As ever, please post your thoughts, feedback, screenshots and video here (PM me for details of FA YouTube channel). Posts in the AAR threads really helps us (the hosts and mission makers), both with understanding how we can improve the experiences, and showing potential comrades what our sessions are like. The Party thanks you for your support, and might even wish you a Merry Christmas, if such things were permitted. Which they are not.

PS I don't know who asked if we were in an Instagram (when Vintage 01 began), but that was priceless!

:v:

x25killa

Re: [Sun] 23 Dec 2012 (are we in an Instagram?)

Post by x25killa »

MailMan

Charlie Leader. Flew in littlebird, cover the south east of the main objective on the mountain, shoot enemies. Sounds simple enough... until you have me in charge. I told my units to jump out the heli at a bad time, thus getting Fer killed. Sorry about that. After Kale (or was it Daf?) landed and revived us, we got back up, looked around, shoot the enemies towards the North East and North West while Tigershark gave us locations of possible enemies. Communication with the commander went very good. Overall, good mission. Now, what was on the intel?

Red Snow (limited objectives)

Sniper Team 2 Assistant. Teamed up with Ebass, very lovely chap. Gave him the spare mags for his VSS, we headed into the forest near the junction, spotted enemies, I shot enemies with the silent kobra, killed some more, got hit, crawled to a medic, got back up, killed more enemies, Alpha 2 was getting hit hard, ran down towards them to provide support, hit more enemies, got killed. Ebass took down quite some enemies despite hating the VSS. Then he got killed. Mission was over, we didn't get the bonus vodka.

CordonBLUFOR

Sgt of Blu For. Followed the commander Mike, spotted one enemy in the tower (which turns out to be the enemy commander Draakon), shot at the tower but with no effect, fired grenades, Black Mamba was impressed by my nading skills and gave me a 6.5. Not bad, looked around, oh dear, enemies, shot at the enemies... then spotted m113. Was gonna hide but dang it, the m113 unleashed the kraken and killed me. Killed some of the comrades in BluFor. A puppy with a sad face.

BlackFolkDown (limited objectives)

Attack helo littlebird. I dropped off JTAC Ferrard Carson on the hills while I hover around the villa. Turns out the enemy fire wasn't from the villa but a techie at least 3km away from the objective, I got hit hard and fast. Heli going down, kaboom. First to die. Last words I heard was from Ferrard: "I see if I can find the pilot's body". My body was inside the burning wreck. At least no civvies were harmed, right?

Swept LE (coop)

JIP joining Charlie. Must be xmas day for me because I had an SVD... and explosives. Joined up with Charlie, revived one of the squad members who was hit, everything worked very well. The enemies on the west side were done for. Cheers commander!

Now, to the east side. I decided to spice things up. Planted 3 satchels in a house, climbed up a big mountain, 250m away from the house, set the charges off. Fer asked "What was that?" I replied "I've misclicked." Thus, this causes the UAZ hurtling down the road towards Alpha and Bravo. Charlie was tasked on the mountainside looking towards the enemy. Yes, xmas day for me indeed.

Shoot up some enemies, took out that asshole who fired the RPG towards the comrades, fired some more shots, moved along the hill, fired more boolets, all good. Then out of bloody no where, a UAZ was scuttling along the hills. We all opened fire, became merry and meetup near the minerask(not sure how to spell it but it's one of those towers). Yes. Enjoyed this mission the most.

Village Clearance

MAT unit with Kale. Waffly was an excellent commander for this mission, pointing people where to go, making sure everyone was healed up before carrying on. I was expecting a tank and... well, everyone got a hit on it, but not me. The tank was destroyed but did managed to spot a techie on the hill nearby, fired the rocket and boom... it made the techie panic and rammed into a rock missing a tire. Bah. We all went in, sweep after sweep, all the enemies were dead and we won. Glorious.

Cholo

Foxtrot with Ferrard. Well, that went better than expected. Turns out the cops were shooting each other inside the building while some of them escaped thus causing the mission to finish early. Okay, take 2 and...

Cholo (again)

Action! Ferrard was shot, tried to revive him but... it was glitched. As in, I couldn't revive him, so I picked him up, carried him... stuck to the wall. After 3 minutes of faffing about, I got out of the wall, revived Ferrard and hijack a white pickup. Honking my horn, flaring the lights, I let Ferrard out while I was driving about... for some reason. I like the horn. Turns out Ferrard shot Fer and won the game. Geegee.

Fodder

Tank driver charlie. Fer gave out orders, I followed, Kale fired his guns, I drove, Fer commanded, Kale fired, drove, commanded, fired, drove, commanded, fired, fired, commanded, drove, drove, bridge, kaboom. Fer got the kills despite kale's awesome firing cannons skills.

Vintage 01

The Great Commander of the heroic charge that never happened due to cowards. I planted all the dots about, Baboon goes there, Charles goes over there towards the south, Arnie has to follow the snake to get the holy grail. Bing bang bong, enemies everywhere, bam bam bam bam, ordered everyone to charge the objective "Command area", I died, cowards did not but died like dogs. There were no medals due to running out of medication and possibly slight chance of rain.

Overall, the session was rather enjoyable and luckily there were no voices distracting me.

On a serious note, what are the rules of engagement? :suicide:

Macaco

Post by Macaco »

First time playing a session with TrackIR/FreeTrack set up. Still need to find a middle ground between a comfortable deadzone, and responsiveness.

MailMan
I think Charlie team. Whichever one got sent to the actual C130 crash.

Waffle flew us in on the littlebird nice and easy, despite a very high approach with a lot of time spent descending straight down. We started the transfer, held out against the two fire teams of guys that decided to show up, then called in for extraction and left. Was fairly uneventful.

Red Snow (limited objectives)
Again I can't quite remember which team I was. I know it was under Fer and I was the saboteur.

HALO dropped in, set my mines on the road, blew up an APC. We moved into the forest toward our objective then started dropping like flies. FreeTrack crashed, taking my webcam with it, which has my mic. Kev was talking to me as we died together. I was unable to comfert him in his final moments.

CordonBLUFOR
Skipped due to fixing mic issues

BlackFolkDown (limited objectives)
Transport Heli 1

Loaded up Alpha then took them to LZ Hong Kong for a nice gentle landing. Then ferried tiger around so he could get good eyes on the situation and guide his men around while shooting at them with the door gun. Our CAS heli crashed about 30 seconds after reaching the objective. Tiger then told me to set autohover near the objective so he could get a steady picture and steady aim. Warlord turned out to be dead by someone else's hand so Alpha and Bravo where ordered to pack up and get ready for extract. My chopper provided cover as TH2 came in to pick up Bravo, then I swooped down and picked up Alpha. After a bit of radio silence on the part of Bravo we realized they got shot down. I was the only heli to live, and the only one to successfully do his job. When do I get my Raise?

Swept LE (coop)
Charlie FTL

We where in charge of security on the south side of the valley. We did that admirably. We moved up with Alpha and Bravo occasionally engaging enemies that we saw. There weren't very many but when there was, we engaged the shit out of them. Was mostly uneventful. We got to the final town and all advanced to the tower to take a picture, unfortunately just as fer was about to take out his vintage Polaroid camera, the mission ended.

Village Clearance
German Platoon Medic
Followed around Waffle as we endlessly mocked everyone else on how bad they where. Spent the first 5 or 10 minutes squinting into the fog to see if I could make out enemies. When we finally started taking casualties people kept calling for a medic with no further specifications. After getting frustrated I started yelling at people. Still never got the info I needed to heal the people who needed it (For future reference, put a marker down, BE AT IT!, and tell me the name of the person who needs healing). I think I healed Waffle more times than everyone else combined.

Cholo
Druggy
Cops all killed each other so cholo was over in about 30 seconds

Cholo (again)
Druggy
Thought I would be clever and clime the ladder to get them from above. Got shot in the face. So cholo was over in about 30 seconds.

Fodder
Tank gunner for Carson
I was stupid and somehow zoomed gun sight all the way in without being able to zoom out. Was still able to successfully engage and kill Fer and his tank buddies.

Vintage 01
AT
Blew up a tank with a couple RPGs, then went looking for anyone that had more. No one did so I charged forward with my Enfield before getting shot. badly.

lwlooz

Post by lwlooz »

Sorry for delay. Holidays and all.

MailMan -
CO
The mission was to fly to and pick up stuff from an crashed C130. Simple Mission, Simple Plan.
I had 3 squads, so I decided to post 2 squads as security elements guarding the Northern and Southern approaches to the crash site respectively.
Third squad was to fly in and pick up whatever they were supposed to get (I forgot :confused: ). I put emphasis on speed over perfection.
This could have turned out very badly and Third Squad did land on some enemy who already had arrived at the C130 crash site, but everyone performed magnificently , so we had approximatly one KIA due to enemy fire and everyone else made it back home :) .
My platoon medic even showed up with a huey when needed for extract. And all the milsimmers go :psyboom: . Sorry :P .

CordonBLUFOR -
Indfor- FTL Bravo 2(?)
This night was sold to me as the big W:EE revenge showdown between mike and Drakon. As no TvT/Adversarials were being played (sad face) this was the closest to it. I was on Draakons team. We were very much in the advantage tho, because we had many times our numbers of mechanized infantry AI on our side. This is also the only guys I think my team and I managed to shoot at .
At one point I ordered my rocketlauncher man to fire his RPG at what I believed to be a bunch of Blufor man cluttered under a lamppost. We collapsed the building behind them and had a follow-up victory party for pulling off such a good hit. In the TS chatter after the session I learned that those was a friendly human Indfor squad and they came out unharmed. Double-Fail prevents Teamkill I guess :oops: .

I really liked the concept of the missions tho. I think we you mix PvP,Coop and AI magical things happen within Arma and I think it should be done more often. As soon as you put humans on the other side , it stops being the ever-repeating methodical shooting gallery, where one can stop for tea for half an hour and noone would notice. Additionally if the AI in the missions happens to be controlled by humans, you get lots more tactics. If you put AI in there, not only does one increase the engagement sizes of the scenarios, also one has to look out what to shoot for and it provides a nice atmosphere. Be it missions like this , PvPAI with puppet masters or full-blown tactical TvTs with AIs on both sides, I hope in Arma3 at least these ideas get used again more and then you can play something like W:EE in Arma . Full Circle!