[Tue] 01 Jan 2013 (Happy New Gear)

How we died
Bodge

[Tue] 01 Jan 2013 (Happy New Gear)

Post by Bodge »

A nice player count to see in the new year meant for some good platoon level combat and a good mix of missions.
  • Foxhound x2 - A valiant last stand from Indfor was ultimately futile as the oppressive Opfor closed in.
  • No negotiation - Some heavy early casualties, then even more. The trees seem to have sprouted PKMs in Chern.
  • Cratesistence - More deadly trees, this time with added makarovs
  • Huzzah - The British are coming! The British are dying!
Thoughts and reports below!

whitesymphonia

Re: [AAR] [Tue] 01/01/2013 - Happy New Gear

Post by whitesymphonia »

Didn't we do a few more?

Bodge

Re: [Tue] 01 Jan 2013 (Happy New Gear)

Post by Bodge »

We did a test of a Kale mission at the end and some explosives training at the beginning. we also had to start foxhound twice because of incidents.

Caconym

Post by Caconym »

Foxhound (take 1) - Charlie 2 AR. A funny thing happened on the way to the LZ, by which I mean half of the passengers bailed out when they heard miscellaneous warning noises then got crushed by the helicopter.

Foxhound (take 2) - Charlie 2 AR. After Zitron bowed out due to joystick control issues, Zergra took over as pilot. We got dropped off at the North-Eastern end of the strip and started working our way southwards. After a lot of running around and shooting things, OPFOR managed to kill all the indies, despite incurring 30% casualties and some friendly fire.

No Negotiation - Charlie 2 FTL, with apologies to specialsoup's blood pressure. After disembarking at the RV, we were ordered forwards into the forest to the west of of Chernogorsk, where we took some sporadic fire. After patching up tired hippo, we wound our way eastwards to meet up with our SL toppometer and Charlie 1 ... who we discovered under heavy fire. toppometer was dead, and C1 were wounded or pinned down. After throwing smoke, I hemmed and hawed :zoidberg: rather than running forwards to recover the wounded, and after the smoke faded I still stayed put, unwilling to pull back and abandon C1 or run into heavy fire to rescue them. This continued even after specialsoup jumped into the channel in exasperation to order us to fall back right this minute, and then the AI reached the forest edge and we died. Not a good first try at playing FTL :suicide:.

Cratesistance - Bravo AAR. I shot at some indies and then got shot while peering around a tree.

Huzzah - Alpha AT. I got shot in the opening engagement and died just before reaching the medic. I re-JIPed as the spare AAR in specialsoup's fireteam and was promptly shot again. Eventually, we managed to make our way to the ridge on the right, and there followed a long engagement involving a lot of getting plinked at by eagle-eyed AI at extreme range, plinking back at them, watching the IFVs getting blown up and carrying Issus and his spare ammo to safety, before daf got us down into the town and Command ordered a glorious charge to secure the strategic supply of Ginsters in the nearby gas station. Man of the Match goes to m0ntag, who as far as I could tell spent the mission running around like a madman trying to keep everyone patched up and in fighting shape.

m0ntag

Post by m0ntag »

Foxhound - Alpha 1 Rifleman AT: Once we restarted and actually flew over to the AO, we did lots of tree hiding and fence ducking. IceRaiser fell to some friendly fire. IndFor got trapped in a compound which was then barraged with RPG's and grenades until it was in ruin and we swept it out, cleaning up the last of 'em.

No Negotiation - SL Medic: After our road trip, we lost one or two in an exchange between some EI hiding up in the trees. After dispatching that, we decided to make the choice of going down a forested hill to move forward. Our other squad approached a UN officer ("I thought he was friendly!") and got murdered from that while we were torn apart by what appeared to be trees with PKMs. We couldn't return fire very well and everyone ended up being horribly murdered while I spent 10 minutes bleeding and trying to get someone to pick me up so I could heal myself and others before seeing one of our armor be blown up right in front of me and myself get killed by a rifle bullet from God Knows Where. All in all, it was a pretty good day.

Crateresistance - Delta 1 Rifleman: The first thing we did was create a plan of attack for 5 minutes. After that, our CO was told that we were, as a matter of fact, defending the caches, not attacking. :siiigh: We sent the 'attack' teams to their respective caches that had no IEDs but plenty of Makarovs. Delta and I set up to defend Pavlovo. Our FTL got shot in short order and so Delta became a self-governing body being directed by myself and Dan mainly. I laid in wait mere inches from an enemy on the other side of a fence who decided to run across the road. When he turned around, I greeted him with a lovely ballistic handshake of the rifle variety and cleaned up the rest of his squad. Picking up the satchels that they were going to use, I set them up in the church's graveyard and walls, ready to blow if the enemy got too close. While waiting there with Dan, who was sent out to scout around the area as we heard gunfire from the north at Cache B, we traded war stories and ended up winning the match shortly thereafter as the enemies were all killed before they could get to our cache. That round goes to Dr. Alexander Tobacco, M.D. for killing no less than 7 infantry (possibly more, I lost count) all by his lonesome. Props to you, Alex.

Huzzah - DC Medic: It was a hot day. The sun beating down on us, our throats parched and our backs aching from all the gear. But, we had a mission. We loaded up into our Jeeps, our two friendly Armor leading the charge and heading out. Within 30 seconds of moving, our whole convoy was ambushed as cars went flipping to their side, drivers laying dead at the wheel, explosions everywhere. We quickly got out and the survivors clung to the safe sides of their vehicles, returning fire at the EI on top of a ridge. After clearing that out, the majority of them went up to the ridge while I followed the enemy armor. The infantry on the ridge needed a medic so I charged for a solid 2 minutes of non-stop sprinting to fix everyone up. Then one of our armor got blown to bits so I ran down there, sprinting across open fields and battle to fix everyone up. The infantry had cleared out an MG nest so I went up there to fix more people up. This continued for over an hour of me running around, patching everyone up, getting them on their feet, and generally saving their lives. I even killed a few enemies myself. I didn't keep track but I'd estimate healing at least 20 times, maybe a little more. But, I kept everyone alive and we cleared out the town so I guess there's that to be thankful for.

After that mission, we did a test of one of Kale's missions where I helped Ice spot targets and carried ammo for him. There were about 10 of us but we cleared out multiple objectives before our collective wounds added up and we perished in a glorious hail of gunfire. All in all, another good TT session. Sadly, because of school, I won't be at any more TT sessions for a while :| but it was nice to pop in after so long. However, I will be at FA and the occasional Mod Saturday so there's that.

m0ntag
I don't like the term 'Medic'. I prefer 'Fun Enabler' or 'Maximum Fun Ensurance Counselor'. What's more fun than being shot once? Being shot twice.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/m0ntag
whitesymphonia wrote:I know that I can count on m0ntag to save my ass when wounded...

Macaco

Post by Macaco »

Foxhound First:
Transport Helo 1, in charge of all of Alpha, the CO, and Bravo 1
After a wonderful take off and a beautifully executed first leg of the flight, most of the people in TH2 mysteriously died. CO jumped to his death in frustration, and I was ordered to execute a tactical barrel roll. I did so, however the chopper handles quite poorly, even 200 ATL wasn't enough to finish the roll.

Foxhound Second:
Transport Helo 1, in charge of all of Alpha, the CO and Bravo 1
After a wonderful take off and a beautifully executed first leg of the flight, we stopped and waited for Zitron's replacement to catch up(there are many rumors of where those men took Zitron after the "incident" but as of yet we have no concrete evidence of anything and have yet to see him since). I pulled into the Alpha landing zone in the middle of the road between two shops. Hoping my gunners in the back would let me know if there was anything wrong, I slowing set her down, with only the CO telling me his side was clear. I managed to set it down without trouble, drop off Alpha, then set off for Bravo LZ. While attempting to touch down at Bravo, I kinda sorta broke it. It wasn't as bad as Toppo, but it was not going to take off again. Cringing and waiting for the wrath of Strang to descend upon my like a poorly formed metaphor from a Max Payne game, I was given reprieve. Bravo 1 and 2 had exited their chopper at the Charlie LZ, thus managing to look worse than me. Me and my door gunner headed into the AO and I proceed to watch my team shoot each other. A lot. Frustrated by this and trying not to get friendly fucked in the ass, I kinda just ran around avoiding them as best I could and searching for bad people to shoot.

No negotiation:
BDRM Gunner with Waffle driving
After a long drive up to the BOF point, I shot a few people, then looked meekly at some others while trying to push my turret beyond it's physical limits so I could shoot them too. But it was not to be, as I was shot. While inside a BRDM. An ARMORED vehicle... DAMN YOU ARMA!

Cratesistence:
Bravo Team Lead
My team was ordered to be the tip of the spear, quite literally (wedge formation!) shortly after coming into contact with enemy forces I was pegged by a GP round and died.

Huzzah:
Special Forces Team Demoman
Set my charges up on the road in prep for a tank or two that where coming. Blew them on command, took out a tank, but I guess the second one wasn't on the right spot so it lived and started shooting us up. We all died :(

zitron

Post by zitron »

All I have to say is that I apologize (again) for my incompetence, especially to strang for making his life that much harder :siiigh:

I didn't realise that arma was confused by my steering wheel which I had left plugged in. Will not happen again.

whitesymphonia

Post by whitesymphonia »

Foxhound 1

Medic for Bravo team 2. Did not exit glitched heli as advised by pilot, opting for it to be non-moving to exit. Good choice on my part since I got out unharmed and saved two wounded. Restarted mission anyways.

Foxhound 2

Medic for Bravo team 2 again. Heli lifted off this time with no issues. Glitched into a bush at Charlie Team's LZ, everyone had to exit for pilot to get it unglitched. We were supposed to reboard after, pilot left without us after getting heli unglitched. Bravo Team 2 and Bravo Team leader and medic were stranded @ Charlie LZ as a result. Bravo Team leader told us to push with Charlie seeing how the heli wasn't coming back. Pushed with Charlie. Hung out towards the back, eventually moving onto what I deemed a secure point where five or so of us were prone behind a series of rock short walls. Suddenly take fire, get wounded, then before I knew it, a rocket to the face. Needless to say, many casualties there.

No Negotiation

Was in Alpha 1, exact position I'm not sure, but I'm suspecting AAR. Don't have the best memory sorry. Anyways, we take the URALs (I think they were? o.O I think they were covered) down the roads towards Cherno. We disembarked a bit Northwest of Cherno and decide to go on foot. There was a powerstation nearby where we disembarked. As we approached we took fire. No casualties, some wounded but a medic healed them up. Alpha 1 was ordered to move in while Alpha 2 gave cover. We took the powerstation, engaging no targets within it. As we started to continue pushing towards Cherno, we took fire as we peaked out of the corner of the powerstation. After a lot of peeking and firing, I finally manage to kill all three UN troops with the help of some suppressing fire from our Automatic Rifleman. Having done that, we push forward to where the three UN troops were killed. On that hill, I took a hit near the road. Was saved by our medic. We resumed and continue heading towards Cherno, going off the roads. We happen upon a hill of death where we took heavy fire. I was down and dead before I knew what had happened. I believe all of Alpha got wiped out there, in intervals.

Cratesistence

Joined in as Bravo 4 I think. Was defending the caches. After an initial planning error where command thought we were assaulting the caches instead, we had our plans laid out. Alpha would cover cache A, Bravo would go to A, but assist where needed, Delta took B cache, and Charlie took C cache. Rode with the gang to A cache, then waited in the forest a bit before my computer died on me. Rejoined to find no slots open, so sat the rest of it out.

Huzzah

Bravo Team leader. All main ground troops took fire in the valley road leading up to the marked enemy position by fire from both mountains on the sides of us. After exiting our vehicles and returning fire, we successfully cleared two bunkers, one on each side. Command gave orders to push west onto the mountain and leave behind our vehicles to push using a height advantage being on the mountain. Team was full strength at this point. Received orders from command to take a series of bunkers along the way. Lead the charge with Bravo, followed by Alpha while Charlie and Delta gave covering/suppressing fire. Took all bunkers with no losses in my team. Last bunker, my Automatic Rifleman took some to the legs and there was some confusion among command channel for a medic, but we found one eventually. Lost one man, AAR while pushing past an open field to make for the compound across the bunker we were holding. I think he broke off on his own and went too far left, not sure here since I was at the front of the charge, so dunno how he went down first. Got to the compound walls with three men in my squad. Command still intact, received orders to flush out the compound while Charlie and Delta gave coverfire. Lost AT man here.

About halfway through the compound, found out that command was dead, after no replies to my hail. Only other reply on command channel was Charlie squad leader. After some deliberation, I took command, and ordered what was left of Charlie and Delta to push forward to meet the remains of Alpha and Bravo. I believe I had Alpha squad leader with me, but he wasn't on the command channel and had difficulty talking to the others, thus I assumed command. Probably Alpha and Bravo numbered no more than five men. M0ntag the medic was still around somewhere since later I took a round and writhed on the floor a bit before he saved me. Bravo's Automatic Riflemen, Skabooga was pretty good, recovered from his leg wound, he had moved up with me and we tried pushing two different sides of a wall after Charlie and Delta joined us.

To cross the next open field from our compound, was a series of destroyed tanks. Past that open field was another compound and past that was some enemies scattered, mostly prone, some dead. Range, about 500 m. Ordered a rush by using the tank debris as cover to move across the field. Don't believe there were any casualties on this part. Got to the walls of the next compound, where Zitron manned a nearby bunker that we had cleared. He took the mounted gun as I made a one man push to play spotter at a closer distance. I believe Skabooga and some remnanents of Charlie & Delta was engaged in the compound on the roadside. I was pushing on the outer section of the compound.

Shortly after the mission was called and ended. Really fun. Enjoyed being in command since it was my first time taking and lead role (fireteam leader/squad leader/etc.)

First session with FOLK ARPS and I really enjoyed it. Know that I can count on m0ntag to save my ass when wounded and Skabooga to stick to my sides. Hope I can make Sunday, kind of an odd time me being in the US and all, but man this was fun!

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Macaco wrote: No negotiation:
BDRM Gunner with Waffle driving
After a long drive up to the BOF point, I shot a few people, then looked meekly at some others while trying to push my turret beyond it's physical limits so I could shoot them too. But it was not to be, as I was shot. While inside a BRDM. An ARMORED vehicle... DAMN YOU ARMA!
That exact thing happened to us, the last time we played it. After our team died in there, I went to the editor and messed about a bit, we and probably you were shot through those port holes the driver has, the only way to close them is to turn off the engine.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

Halop

Post by Halop »

Foxhound
IndieFor RPG person

Our idea was to kinda spread out at the killzone and take cover. We heard the choppers, one landed North, and the other - South, so we knew where they were coming from.

I was far north, on the lookout for the enemy. I made first contact, as I saw a helmet peeking through the foliage. I marked it on the map, took a few shots, and fell back to the next compound, guerilla stuff. As I fell back, contact was made south, and I saw an entire squad on the open, I opened fire from the rooftop, the enemies quickly supressed me, and I fell back once again. By this time we had enemies frecking everywhere, so I fell back to the CO, turns out I was the only one who made it to CO...

So here we were with Egg in the compound, no Idea where to retreat (we already killed the needed amount by this time). We knew there was a squad less than 50 meters to our south, and one to our East.

I saw an enemy through my window and I incapped him. After a few seconds someone ran over to patch him up, so I shot him too. Do not run where your teammate was shot next time opponent person :lol:

After getting desperate, I started to sprint North, while Egg provided supressive fire. There was no cover anywhere, but there was a little bit of foliage.
As I was zig-zagging through the trees, bullets were hitting everywhere around me, I ran a few hundred meters then someone finally hit me :D

No negotiation
Alpha SL

After a drive in the Ural, we disembarked and I directed my two fireteams to the designated attack position. Took some sporadic fire, but nothing too serious, sounded like Charlie was getting the worst of it. We approached a power station, I ordered the guys to take cover there while waiting for Bravo to catch up.

Then we started our march down the hill, nearing Cherno. I tried to bound the fireteams in the forest, sent one of the fireteams up front and then they got shot to pieces. No idea where the fire was coming from, and then the unknown thing killed me too, well that's arma in the forest for you.

Cratesistence
Indiefor
Bravo fireteam FTL

Our fireteam was the "fast response team", our job was to run to where the action was, as there were 4 teams, but only 3 caches. Delta down south was the first to take fire, Command ordered us to flank them from behind. I took a long curve around, to keep us in cover. As soon as I left we lost contact with Alpha fireteam at the cache far East, it was too late for the cache so I continued to flank.

When I saw the parked enemy Ural, I knew we were close. By the time we approached, unfortunately, most of Delta was gone. I saw a guy exposed near a building, I told my team to spread out, quickly shot the guy, and proceeded to lob the whole area with my GP-25 grenade launcher, turns out it was a good idea, we killed the fireteam.

Then Charlie up North was having trouble, so Bravo was sent there, to again flank from the East. By the time we got there, however Alex the killing machine killed the enemy squad, we mopped up afterwards.

Huzzah
IFV 1 Commander

So much confusion. Right at start we spotted UN guys patrolling on the mountain not far away. I thought they were friendlies, as for me it seemed strange to have enemies right at our starting position. Okay, we started to move, then we saw dishka bunkers with guys in blue helmets turned to face us, um okay I guess the guys there were enemies afterall. So we started killing every blue helmet in sight, some sporadic tanks also. There was an enemy squad prone about one kilometer out, gunner opened fire on them.

Then I saw as one of the enemies stand up slowly, took his Metis, and I screamed "NO NO NO" for 5 seconds as I saw the missile flying towards us. We were on open ground, only when we were burning inside the Tank, Ice reminded me that I had smoke screens, oops my bad :D