[Sun] 06 Jan 2013 (Joint session: CiA & PA)

How we died
Ferrard Carson

Re: [Sun] 06 Jan 2013 (Joint session: CiA & PA)

Post by Ferrard Carson »

UNnecessary Violence (JO edition)
Deployed as UNFORT Platoon Commander
This was a remarkably dry and almost textbook operation in terms of Platoon / Company level command. At the helm of what amounted more to an under-strength Company organized on platoon lines, I had already reconned the map and laid out a plan with my squad and element leaders in the weekend before.

The general gist of my approach to this particular mission was based around my best weapons systems - two M60-wielding MMG teams, and a highly mobile Bronegruppa consisted of two BMP-2's and two M113's. Both of them formed extremely potent Support-by-Fire elements, and if I could anchor those two in good firing positions, then I could use them to leverage my infantry squads into just about anywhere, then re-anchor my Support-by-Fire elements in the newly cleared territory.

Through this careful management of overlapping overwatch and bounding movements, I was able to conduct a very cautious, and very successful series of infantry advances across extremely flat, exposed terrain into the town of Yarum south of Zargabad. Once there, we went firm and assessed casualties and logistics while beating back some half-hearted counterattacks and resupplying anyone who needed more ammunition. Unfortunately, we lost an M113 at this point, but thankfully we didn't lose the crew! Since when does that happen?

The action grew tighter and less dominated by the Bronegruppa and MG team once we pressed into Zargabad itself, and I moved my highly concentrated packs of angry Chernarussian "peacekeepers" block-by-block closer and closer to the mosque. Once there, we performed some Security Council Sanctioned Redistribution of Cultural Masonry, rattled off a whole bunch of victory fire, and conspicuously avoided noticing all the Takistani Special Operatives parachuting into the town all around us >.>

If you really want to sit through an hour and 15 minutes of me staring at maps and telling other people to do stuff, then by all means, enjoy!
<<Placeholder for Video>>

Red Snow (JO edition)
Deployed as Alpha Squad Lead
Alpha spent most of this mission fleeing from enemies until I led my squad bravely into an orchard, let half a squad bravely out of the orchard, and ran back for my pal Soviet. Witness the tale that will never be told because alpha got wiped to the last dude:

Crateresistance
Deployed as Charlie Fire Team AR
What happens when you travel through Chernarussian woods without any overwatch? Well, what do you expect? Chopped liver?

<<Placeholder for Video>>

Internecene DC
Deployed as some FTL, I think I wiped this one out of mind due to my poor performance
I tried to maneuver across a dinnerplate. It didn't work :suicide:

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

fer

Post by fer »

Internecine DC

INDFOR Charlie (under Draakon)

Charlie had the south to watch, and initially we pushed right up to the outer walls of the settlement. I spent the first half of the mission in an enclosed garden, peering out at the open farmland through a break in the wall. South-South-East, across the fields, the enemy had moved up into some ruins, and soon appeared to be sending fighters - alone and in pairs - further west, perhaps hoping to flank their way around the village, or approach along the hedgerow that leads to the southern-most walls. The fighters were attempting to use concealment and dead ground to mask their movement, but from time to time we caught glimpses of silhouettes. This was our cue to shoot.

The reason I chose to equip everyone in this mission with AK-47s is that, like the HD (high dispersion) magazines BAS made for OFP, they bring a believable inaccuracy to the fight, prolonging it - particularly in adversarial situations. So it was that our firefight with the enemy lasted a long time, with frequent pauses and moments spent waiting for a distant muzzle flash at which to aim. I doubt I killed anyone in those exchanges, but it was fun.

The other thing the AK-47 forces you to do is close with the enemy in order to resolve the fight - and in concert with another friendly element if possible. The enemy may have, quite sensibly, refused to come out into the open ground to the south, but on other approaches he was now within hand grenade range. We were, or maybe already had been, recalled to the inner compounds, there to make a final stand. Comrade Draakon had died earlier, so comrade Soviet Sandwhich now led our fireteam. We took up positions in corners and doorways, or deep inside rooms, and waited for the enemy to arrive.

Despite being close to the centre point of our fall-back position, the doorway by which I was crouching afforded me a view of a hedgerow to the east-south-east of the village. Once again, the enemy fighters were attempting to use concealment as much as possible, pushing up towards us alongside and behind the plants. I opened fire but again the range and my AK-47 meant that even carefully aimed shots were by no means guaranteed to find their targets. And where quality isn't possible, quantity will have to do. I put a lot of rounds into that hedgerow, maiming one fighter and eventually a second, who had come to the aid of the first. Soon after, the mission ended.

Mission maker / host note: the attacking side (OPFOR) really needs either a slight numerical advantage (1-2 extra fireteams), or the MMG attachment. Slotting this completely evenly was not optimal, so apologies.

Variable

Post by Variable »

Better late than never - nice video of the mega joint op: