[Sun] 20 Jan 2013 (Lethal Ladder)

How we died
Ferrard Carson

Re: [Sun] 20 Jan 2013 (Lethal Ladder)

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Amphibious Attack
Deployed as Alpha Squad Leader
Squad leading at its most interesting. Alpha was tasked with taking and destroying the Radio Tower (singular). Bad news: No other infantry units tasked to support us. Good news: 1 BTR-90 (a.k.a. wheeled death machine) is doing that job instead!

We wandered ashore at a lackadaisical pace, some genius having decided to take Vodniks and BTRs from the mainland to Utes. I'm amazed they weren't out of fuel. I'm also amazed that we didn't drown in the seasick vomit from the dudes in the back! We hit the dirt, and formed up in the defilade, with me watching over my shoulder back at the base in Charlie's area of advance. I was also worried that the BTR, which had wandered off due South, might get destroyed before we even made it off the beach. Defenses in that area, however, seemed to be absolutely nil, so my worry was all for naught.

Alpha went over the top at my command, and the various fire-teams supported one another across open fields and up the hillside until we reached the Towers (plural). A whole shitton of them, all crammed into one tiny 5m x 5m space. There must be some sort of downside to placing that many antennae within three inches of one another O.o

We took light contact, but swarmed the tower and obliterated it without losing anyone, at which point the lot of us retreated back down the ridge and watched the fireworks. Alpha, the only squad to accomplish its objective in textbook fashion!

Then, in accordance with teachers throwing curves into the textbook, the enemy occupied the flaming wreckage of the radio tower. No idea how they were able to move about in what must have been a veritable minefield of wrecked steel bars and electrified cables, but they were there, and they were shooting at us. Some snappy suppressive fire from Alphas 2 and 3 allowed the vulnerable 1 to withdraw to the northeast, and I progressively disengaged all my dudes, again without suffering a casualty.

We then looped around the base of the hill to help our BTR provide cover for Bravo's right flank (which basically amounted to "shoot the shit out of the airfield") At this point, I took command of the mission from Lwlooz's cold, lifeless hands, and was exhorted by The Party to seize the next radio tower. Or die trying. I personally prefer the "die trying" bit, so rather than anything fancy, I instead zerged the airfield, and then we zerged the 2nd AA radar, while the BTR-90 finished off the third AA radar (what the hell were the Chernarussians doing with all this AA radar and not a single SAM or AAA battery in sight?) We all piled into the C-130 afterwards (even drove the BTR-90 right up into it) and sailed off into the sunset...

Roadside
Deployed as Delta 1 FTL
This was a textbook recon exercise. We landed on a hilltop and radioed in to Company Command
"Yep, they're all dead." "All of them?" "Yep." "Even the rear guard, who was supposed to sweep the place?" "Yep. Wait, we see Comrade Tigershark waving at us in the distance!" "No you don't." "But Comrade Tigershark is right there!" "Comrade Tigershark? There is no Comrade Tigershark in our company." "Oh. What Tigershark?" "There we go. Come back to base for a... reward."
:commissar:

GooseChase
Deployed as Seahawk 1 Crew Chief
We orbited, we dropped off troops, we constantly hounded one hostage group and left the other hostage group to their hiking simulator. Then we got the hostage, and Tiger and I landed to snag him. Unfortunately, the LZ wasn't actually secured, and our bespectacled hostage and our esteemable CO were shot right out of their seats. I killed the dude who killed them, though. Our second landing, to pick up Alpha and re-position them to go after the second hostage, ended prematurely when a tree reached up and swatted us out of the sky. "But Comrade, you weren't even anywhere near Zelenogorsk!" The trees thirst for blood. The dwarves were right - the trees are our real enemies.

Karavan
Deployed as Bravo Squad Leader
I took the Bravo Squad Leader position with the understanding that I would be given a tasking and some parameters in which to operate. I anticipated my tasking to be "Hold this sector of the village," to which I would have had two fire-teams hole up in two adjacent buildings and the third either holed up in a third nearby building, or perched on the cliffside overlooking the place, visibility allowing.

Eventually, that happened, with all three fire-teams ensconced safely in a trio of adjacent buildings, carefully chosen to be mutually supportive. If one building were suppressed, then the one next to it could take the heat off by firing back and killing the enemy - this is the importance of concentrated forces with overlapping fields of fire on the defense. The manner in which we arrived at that point, however, was extremely frustrating. It was hell between being micromanaged as though each of my fire-teams was a full squad, and there was a massive comms cluster-fuck when 1) the mission started before we sorted channels, and 2) people didn't move into the channels I told them to.

The comms cluster ended up being to my favor at first, because I could properly position my squad without someone on CC asking why I wasn't obeying exact orders, but then when the choppers came, no one knew that they were coming, no one knew where they were going to land, and no one knew when to get onboard until the last remaining Independents rocketed them to death (not that we would've gone far anyways, since one of the choppers landed hard and turned into a lawn ornament and the other lost its tailrotor to a power-line).

Afterparty: Two Days to Retirement Vybor
Deployed as \m/ (>.<) \m/
The building that me and my rocker pals holed up in was one of those horrifically small space in which very few people can safely fit. So I swan-dived into the middle of the courtyard, only to see pigs run across my left side, completely oblivious to my roach-on-a-dinner-plate impression. I let the first two pass and shot the last two, wounding them and then finishing them off before their swine brethren could pick them back up. Then I couldn't drag a wounded guy indoors (ArmA! :argh: ) and so I got shot by SuperU when I was trying to patch the dude up.

<--(>.<)-<<<

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."