[Sun] 20 Jan 2013 (Lethal Ladder)

How we died
Cuddlefish

Re: [Sun] 20 Jan 2013 (Lethal Ladder)

Post by Cuddlefish »

Well, lets see. Accidentally cut Kalelovil's leg off with my SAW during the workshop thanks to an alt-tab accident; which was embarassing.

First Mission: Bravo 2 AR

We waited in our vehicle until we hit the beach, then as planned I popped out of the crew compartment and climbed on to the PKM. CONTACT FRONT! DAKKA-DAKK-

Time survived from first shot fired: >5 seconds.

Second Mission: AT-Rifleman? In one of the Bravo teams as I recall

We rode in our trucks, then came under fire. I bailed out and dove for a ditch off the road, then returned fire at the targets in front - except then there were targets all around us, and I was hit. Bleeding but not quite dead, I proceeded to empty my magazine, crawl to the rest of my (also wounded) squad, and then be shot alongside delcake as we crawled back towards our entry point, attempting to escape.

Time from first shot fired to being hit: >20 seconds

Third Mission: AT-Rifleman in ChDKz Bravo 2

Our team had a delightful, if exhausting run through the Chernarussian forest with full kit as part of our training to represent North Chernarus (by which we mean all of Chernarus, once the damned Americans have been forced out) in the upcoming Olympics. Apparently there was some sort of hostage crisis, and a massive shootout with American forces? I'm not sure what was up with that.

Fourth Mission: AT-Rifleman in TK Army Bravo 2 (I ended up in a LOT of Bravo 2s, for some reason.)

After a great deal of communications... fun, Ferrard and Mamuto got us set up in some pretty nice buildings; Mamuto and Joe taking one while Issus and I had the other. We then proceeded to hold out against the onrushing AI hordes - I got six kills, and as I recall Mamuto racked up a best-on-server eleven before his heroic death. I was surprised by how effective my little AKS-74u was at intermediate ranges, and by just how *nasty* it was when a PKM team started pounding my position - shots were coming through the walls, glass was flying everywhere, it was crazy. According to the kill list, I believe I also bagged me a Bodge. Shame about those helicopters, though. In all seriousness, though, this mission was AWESOME, and we should do more of these 'AIdversarial' or whatever they're actually called missions in the future.

After Party: Fourth Officer (MP5) in one of the Police squads.

We approached in our car, making honking and siren noises; then moved onto foot - we came under fire from the side, I leaned out to see where it was coming from and took a hit. Once I was on the ground, I was able to raise my gun and put a burst into the shooter (though my 0 kill count indicates he was likely healed), but then immediately took another set of rounds and was killed outright. And on my first day out from the academy...
Last edited by Cuddlefish on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Amphibious Attack
IFV "Liitle BTR" 2 Commander

The Horror. The Horror...(TM).
Started the mission without a driver, and when he (Zergra?) finally reconnected, it seemed like he couldn't hear a word I was saying. Took us a good four days to get to the charlie RV point, at it was impossible to take the lead as Comrade Waffly had asked (sorry!). When we finally unfucked ourselves, we got to Charlie just in time to see them slaughtered by a HMG on the nearby objective. Mr. Nice, my gunner ate, it almost immediately. Moved the BTR back into cover, got into the gunner seat and moved again to get an angle on that MG. Which I did, getting wounded in the process.
I then ordered my driver to move us back into cover and get me out so he could patch me up, but at that point I heard Waffly announcing Charlie was departing. Damn it.
Then, while Zergra was patching me up just outside the IFV, some AI dude jumped in, commandeered the BTR ("Hey, was that an AI? " -"Yup. We're doomed.") and shot us both.
Tried to crawl to the CO, and bled out on the way.

Roadside
Alpha Medic

So. A convoy is ambushed and we decide to drive all the way through the kill zone. Maybe, we took the saying generals always fight the last war a bit too literally. That one wasn't even finished. Anyway, even though it was pretty clear we were actually driving through the killzone, seeing all those emptied trucks evenly spaced out and abandoned on the road, and even though the briefing did specify we were the rearguard of the convoy, meaning that anything ahead of us had been the actual convoy, we're good soldiers. We laugh our asses off at the army's bureaucracy dumbness and follow the orders.
And get shot in the face. What ensued was pretty hilarious. I took probably the first of all bullets to the face, while we were still in the truck and got wounded. Red screen, unable to reload. But, when I got out of the vehicle, I could still walk and run. And the AI was impervious to my presence.
Seeing that everyone in alpha was either dead, wounded, or hiding under a truck, I ran back to Bravo (same here, nothing to see, circulate), then even further back, i think to Charlie (nothing new), then forward again to Tiger who, from what I could hear, was one of the last dudes alive. And bled out a few meters away from him.
Sprinting through the killzone, with bullets whizzing and hitting everywhere was a lot of fun indeed.

GooseChase
Bravo's Helo Pilot

As usual, some flying, some insertions, and when it get to extracting dudes everything fails miserably. I was told to go pick up a fireteam in a clearing, but when we got there, there was nobody but enemies all around us. We took off, but my main rotor was one bullet from gone, and the chopper was most unresponsive.
A few minutes later, I'm ordered to get back to that same clearing to pick up the same team. They were there this time, but I had much trouble landing my chopper (it was descending like a rock when I stopped putting collective) and smashed the tail on the ground. Was not that bad, but the main rotor went out immediately.
Then we walked, tried to find a vehicle, witnessed Tiger land into a tree and the enemy win.

Karavan
A2 AR

What a clusterfuck. First I alt-tabbed and shot 15 rounds in the air, one that happened to land in the face of The Red Sniper. Truly sorry bout that. As we were patching him up, Toppo alt-tabbed, and shot Aqarius. And me.
At some point, after many bullets wasted, we finally took positions and waited for the enemy to come. What ensued was a pretty enjoyable firefight (I was pinned down in my building, Wilson (FTL) ate it pretty quickly, and I had a medic sitting right next to me, except I was to patch him up. I was finally asked to take command of Alpha due to some comms fuck-up in A1 (I guess?). Tried to shout something to the choppers pilots when I saw one of them go for a landing right in the middle of the firefight. Turns out the pilots were in another channel. Then heard the second chopper took rockets. Then killed a few more dudes, in a most definite confusion about who was to do what. We did kill them all, though, so that counts as a victory to me.

Note. I know it must be pretty boring for the pilots in that one, but being refueled doesn't mean you have to geo for the extract immediately. Probably check with CO before, decide on a proper LZ so that he can have people move to it and secure it. Seeing the helicopters show up at the moment nobody can even look through a window without taking fire was kinda... well.

2 days to retirement
Some fireteam Leader on COPfor

Went well until the moment I shot mike in the face. I patched him up but could feel the resentment floating around. Then he threw a grenade at me, the dirty bastard.

Mamuto

Post by Mamuto »

Cuddlefish wrote:(I ended up in a LOT of Bravo 2s, for some reason.)
Bravo 2 is my go to Fireteam to be a FTL for. This stems from a quote in the game Battlefield Bad Company 2: "Merry Christmas, Bravo 2"
I put over 400 hours into that game, so it's a bit of an inside meme between my friends and I (including Joe).

And yeah, I have a bad tendency to get shot before finishing the mission :/ That's not good commanding, I need to work on that one. At least the rest of the fireteam stays alive longer!

Halop

Post by Halop »

Amphibious Attack
Charlie 1 FTL

This mission was like a Vietnam war movie for me, so much death and confusion. Charlie was supposed to take the eastern most objective, we took our Vodniks and drove there. One Vodnik strayed too far ahead and got shot up. The whole squad drove there to rescue them. We took cover in a barn, people dying, then our SL ordered a general retreat back to the beach, so we packed up and left as fast as we arrived. Then we went in to support Bravo, to blow up the radio station. The whole time I was gunner in the Vodnik, and I was spraying bullets everywhere, that action will bite me in the ass later.

We blew up the radio station with satchels, then we were ordered to occupy the airbase, in true Russian motorized style, we charged down the hill in a Vodnik, with infantry right behind us. There was heavy shooting at the airfield, whole bravo squad was pinned down, my D-shka had only 17 ammo left (also I learned that the back and front gun on the Vodnik shares ammunition), so I spent the last ammunition.

Charlie was ordered to take the hill up front and destroy the last tower. I took the Vodnik and drove it up the hill right at the enemy, runned down 3 soldiers, lost my wheels, and then exploded. Goodnight sweet Vodnik, you have served us well. Victory was declared minutes later.

Roadside
Bravo SL
I thought, what a good time to try to SL again, boy had I known that it would be the shortest coop ever. I was driving the truck, following Alpha truck and all seemed fine. I found it strange that we passed abandoned trucks, but I concentrated more on the road. Then we took heavy fire, one person died in the truck immediately, I ordered everyone to disembark and spread out. But my guys decided to bunch up around the truck instead, I myself ran towards some rocks for cover and was joined by only a few people. Got shot later, ofcourse.

Goose Chase
OPFOR
CO

So we had two hostages and two squads, so I decided to split them up to increase the chance of us making it. CO, Alpha, Hostage1 went west, DC, Bravo, Hostage2 went east.
There was a complaint that I didn't take any vehicles at start and it was a 3 km hike, so i'm gonna explain my reasoning: we had I think 2 technicals at start, one of them was armed. Even if we took the 2 cars at start, it's still about 7-8 seats, so someone would need to be left behind, not to mention the fact that if we followed roads, we would be easier to track and intercept. It is very difficult to spot infantry in the woods, I think if blufor saw that we took a hostage in a vehicle at start, they would very quickly adapt and intercept him.

Anyway, we split up at start and started moving. Bravo had some hostage trouble, so their start was a little rough, but still all was quiet. The chopper was buzzing us constantly. Props to Blufor for a very stealthy landing, we never saw it coming when the ambush came. I had a feeling we would be ambushed soon, so I told alpha to zig-zag to the south after crossing the village, WW2 u-boat evasion style, but it was too late, as soon as we entered the village we got ambushed.

I saw that both choppers were here, I knew that blufor commited everything to stop Alpha, so I ordered Bravo to stash the hostage in a car and drive towards the safezone as fast as possible. I died after giving the order, gamble succeeded - one hostage dead, the other "rescued" by opfor.

Karavan
Assassin 2 Puppet Master

I was part of the zerg rush that went from the east of the town. As soon as contact was made south, we were ordered to advance. My AI were not very able soldiers unfortunately, and all of them died pretty fast. I saw guys in a house, I rushed and and a blue face greeted me with an AK at the stairs.

2 days to retirement
Gang something FTL

We were holding the house to the south of the town. It was a 1:1 trade - we killed a fireteam, and then another fireteam murdered us.

Workshop
I joined up a little late, but right at the time Tigershark was looking for a volunteer CO, I took the burden of command.
Overall very helpful advice, couple of things I tried to do wrong: the LZ was too far away the first time, a 1 KM hike, I myself was paranoid that the villa would be filled with D-shkas or something, but that was not the case. And also at mission start I should have probably designated which chopper is the one in front, there was some confusion for the pilots, and also a path towards the LZ, turned out we went right over the objective, probably not a good idea

Basic plan was like this - one squad would provide a base of fire on the compound, while the squad sneaks up and assaults. Alpha would provide the BOF, and Bravo would assault. Alpha had some issues and they arrived late to the party, and Bravo was already in position and firing on the compound. So I switched the roles around - for Bravo to stay and provide fire and for Alpha to advance, seeing as Bravo was already in position. I myself stayed at Bravo's position as they had an excellent view on the objective. The unkillable opfor players surrendered as soon as Alpha arrived in the compound :hist101:

Anyways, pretty interesting stuff, looking forward to more of these kinds of missions. It would be cool if we could cover attachments, like how to position MG teams, and how to use APC's etc, as I feel sometimes that it's a waste to just attach MMG to a squad for example.

IceRaiser

Post by IceRaiser »

Amphibious Attack
Charlie 1 AAR(?) - Halop was FTL.

After we made landfall at Omaha(via Bravo LZ) I ninja'd the driver-seat and claimed the Vodnik as my own!(and C1's)
Formed up as second Vodnik (behind Fer's Vodnik - Vodnik 1) and we waited while the IFV tried to drive straight East.
Seems like this was too hard for them as they drove west, north, South a bit, then SouthEast and (finally) NorthEast, waaay off.
We did however get bored so Waffly ordered the Vodniks to move up to an RV and prepare to assault with Bravo(?).
Vodnik 1 decided to overshoot by about 200m and got to a barn, surrounded by hostiles.
Waffli ordered the IFV to move up and support but after seeing it drive in front of us and continue off to the South I put the pedal to the metal and we rode into battle to save Vodnik 1.
We disembarked at the barn, with the Vodnik as a semi-good shield and cleared it out. Some guys died there, but overall it was a success.
Wafflz told us to mount up, drive back to Omaha and then to Charlie RV. Somwhere on our way there, after Vodnik 1 had some problems finding third gear, I overtook them and drove towards "C RV" - which turned out to be an old marker..
Wafflé quickly informed me ("NONONO NOT THAT ONE THE OTHER ONE GO SOUTH GODDAMMIT GO TO THE RIGHT ONE") about this and we made our way to the "military compound" that Bravo had secured.
There everyone but the driver-gunner on Vodnik 1+2 disembarked and we started moving up the hill with the Vodniks in front.
Vodnik 1 took alot of fire from a HMG, which turned out to be OUR OWN IFV that'd been stolen by AI (srsly guys WHAT THE F?) so we sped up the slope and parked on the top- Unseen by some.
PewPewPew before getting the order to charge down to the airfield. Since Vodnik 2(now renamned Charlie IFV) was out of ammo I charged through the fence twice to make entrances for the infantry.
After a short stalemate behind a hangar, Wafflo told me to reverse the Vodnik towards the barracks so the inf would have some cover. However one FT ran off beforehand so it turned into a race.
Charlie 1 ran beside me while I slowly drove straight to the closest barrack.
When we were about 50m away from it AJAX decided to cross the road by running straight infront of me :confused: so, uhm, he died. I then reparked the vodnik with the rear towards the building as to shield from the north.
Somewhere around here I was told, afterwards, that I've driven over some dudes? There was no one on the road(apart from AJAX) and when I reversed it around it was REALLY slow so tbh you could've moved... oh well, I didn't have minus score :P
Wafflae got shot up and lost his legs but the Host called for a charge to the last objective.
Halop commandeered Charlie IFV in a glorious charge and drove over lots of dudes while I was instructed by Wafflie to carry him up the hill.
We got half-way before the objective was destroyed and I had to carry him back down again to the waiting C130. Mission was called when we hit flat ground though.
Pics
On the beach
Vodnik as shield
Score

Roadside
I was in the back of a truck, daf was doing something wierd with SuperÜs pants, a "few" shots swooshed by and I started laughing thinking "yupp, I die now"...and I did just 0.2secs after that.
Pic. Lot's of EI

GooseChase
Hostage 2, under the care of awaitz and OpFor Bravo Squad.
Started off with awaitz disconnecting. Hostage 1(Waffls) got taken away so I was all alone.. Kefirz(BSL) told me to run East. Not seeing anyone but my guard AI and not having neither map nor compass I told him "East? I don't have a compass" and the response I got was "DUDE RUN EAST"...
I went to the buss stop close to the cars instead, and told them that.
Draakon showed up and pointed a gun at me. He didn't answer on TS or VON though, so I was mentally alone(After-game-note: Seems like Draakon was in another Squad and was talking over CC).
Finally my guard loaded in and was able to point me in the right direction(after Kefirz shouting that he was gonna shoot me for not doing what he said and not understanding that I still didn't have a compass) :psyduck:
Aaaanyways, with the ever watching eyes of Draakon and awaitz I didn't have any chance of escape and BluFor didn't even come looking :argh: so I ended up in the back of a Vodnik.
OpFor victory?
Pic. My two guards.

Karavan
Alpha(?) AR under SuperÜ together with Denise(Mr. Nice AKA Dan) and StrangLove(There's only one "e").
We got told to hold the north entrance to the town.. and we did. I didn't fire a single shot (apart from 8 rounds from the makarov in the air to remove some frustration) and we had some wild discussions over VON what we should do to the ppl failing with CC ( :commissar: ).
Pic. Denise died

Afterparty: Two Days to Retirement Vybor
Cop under Black Mamba with Bodge and some new guy with a nick starting with C?
We drove around the north side of town and assaulted in.
Bodge decided to ring the doorbell on a nearby house where we'd seen what looked like a domestic dispute (including shotguns).
He got shot in the face and just as I peeked around my wall I saw a guy standing straight up in the corridor with a gun.
27 9mm rounds later he wasn't standing and his friend on the floor was also dead (daf? :P).
We got Bodge up again and pushed further into town. There we found out that Draakon had decided to break the game by getting up on the "hospital/bank/school"-buildings top roof.
Which only has one ladder and you can't see up there from any adjecent buildings...
Alot of 'nades later it was down to me on BluFor vs Draakon and Zitron(?). The latter bled out while I was hunting for more 'nades and the game autoended 'cuz of low amount of OpFor?

Final thoughts: Get yer CC sorted! It's not that bloody hard.
VON was breaking on and off, ACRE would be nice.
If you got a hostage, don't run away and then threaten to shoot him 'cuz you're refusing to listen to him. I was kind enough to not run away at the start(by taking a car and waving goodbye) while awaitz was reconnecting, some manners - please.
I'm kinda sad we didn't play Generals :hist101:

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

IceRaiser wrote: GooseChase
Hostage 2, under the care of awaitz and OpFor Bravo Squad.
Started off with awaitz disconnecting. Hostage 1(Waffls) got taken away so I was all alone.. Kefirz(BSL) told me to run East. Not seeing anyone but my guard AI and not having neither map nor compass I told him "East? I don't have a compass" and the response I got was "DUDE RUN EAST"...
I went to the buss stop close to the cars instead, and told them that.
Draakon showed up and pointed a gun at me. He didn't answer on TS or VON though, so I was mentally alone(After-game-note: Seems like Draakon was in another Squad and was talking over CC).
Finally my guard loaded in and was able to point me in the right direction(after Kefirz shouting that he was gonna shoot me for not doing what he said and not understanding that I still didn't have a compass) :psyduck:
Aaaanyways, with the ever watching eyes of Draakon and awaitz I didn't have any chance of escape and BluFor didn't even come looking :argh: so I ended up in the back of a Vodnik.
OpFor victory?
Pic. My two guards.
At one point I just wanted to chop you up by pieces and tell my FT's to carry you to the vodnik, but seriously man I didn't get the memo that you didn't have anything so I just wrote it off as ''Iceraiser is doing his own thing, fuck not this again.''
Later it was all cleared up for me and we were moving by that point.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

Halop

Post by Halop »

Halop commandeered Charlie IFV in a glorious charge and drove over lots of dudes while I was instructed by Wafflie to carry him up the hill.
I was never so attached to a vehicle in arma before, it saved us so much , I made sure to give Charlie IFV a glorious sendoff. :clint:

lwlooz

Post by lwlooz »

Amphibious Attack -
CO

Our mission was to assault Utes island, take out couple of stationary installations and then fly off with 2 C130s loaded full with cash.
I had 3 squads, 1 BTR-90, 1 BTR-60, 1 MMG-Attachment and one engineer attachment at my disposal. We started floating off the island in Vodniks.
My basic plan was for the BTRs to clear out long-range enemies while the infantry protected them and closed in and destroyed the objectives, while I used the attachments as platoon reserve.
So I assigned each squad its own objective. In retrorespect I was overtasking them again. They are squads, not platoons.
I also completly failed to consider there being any resistance in the northern part of the island, considering our objectives were at the airfield.

In the mission the landing at what I had designated Omaha beach went largely unopposed, the few bullets that were fired managed to injure me tho :( . So I desperatly tried to get my HQ engineer team to come up and bandage me, which took a bit of time since they did not have any unit markers.
In the meantime all 3 squads had moved off as usual and once I was back on my feet I noticed that while Alpha was doing fine, Bravo managed to get itself into a meatgrinder on the way to their objective and Charlie got bogged down in the little village on the Northern shore of the island. Also the BTR that was assigned to Charlie apparently was combat ineffective.
Trying to fix the situation I decided to disengage Charlie, who had a bad disadvantage advancing across an open field without their BTR-60 and get them to help Bravo to take their objective. I also decided to throw all my attachment teams and the BTR-90 that was assigned to Alpha into whatever meatgrinder that Bravo was facing.
I didn't get to live to see that working out tho, as I used the only reserve left in the platoon, myself, to help with trying to rescue Charlie BTR-60, which the AI had the audacity to steal from us. I caught a bullet getting there.

Roadside -
QRF - Delta 2 FTL

As we were flying to the ambushed convoy, the rest of the platoon died. Nonetheless Delta decided to land on a mountain near the ambush site in order to see that everyone had died. After completing that task and being satisified with our stellar performance, we decided to fly back home.

GooseChase -
Indfor Alpha 2(?) FTL

We escorted one hostage towards the western endzone always ducking from the western helicopters whenever they decided to show up. When we reached what I am gonna to call ambush valley from now on, BLUFOR decided to ambush us as previous BLUFOR commanders had done in this mission at almost the same location. When I saw 2 helicopters circling us I tried to get my team out of the killzone by trying to rush into the next forrest, but failed badly :| .

Karavan -
Indfor Assasin 4 - Squad Leader

We had excellent communication on our side. After getting organised, we were Oscar Mike and on our way to the town. I enjoyed leading my AI comrades, although they have this odd tendency to stop firing whenever someone stops showing himself in a window or in a doorway. My AI got cut down as quickly as expected tho. Still I hope they shot people.
I hope there is more missions like this, maybe with people just leading fireteams of AI to make things more managable. :) .

Afterparty: Two Days to Retirement Vybor -
Police Officer

After a lot of drunk driving my our team leader mike :P , we managed to get to the town and I mainly witnessed SuperÜ killing most of the opposite team with a Shotgun. That was cool. Not so cool was me handgrenading myself and Issus at the "police station" where the rockers where hiding. I tried to get it to the top floor and it managed to come back down...
:siiigh:

Issus

Post by Issus »

Amphibious Attack
Charlie Medic

I started in the front passenger seat of the Vodnik, so got a perfect view of its repeated attempts to become a submarine. Still, we got to see some cool fish, and uneventfully landed on the beach to await Charlie 3 in the "Straggler's Vodnik".

Appropriating this extra tin can as his command vehicle, Waffly ordered Charlie to advance to the first objective behind the cover of the BTR-60. Unfortunately it was lacking a driver, and the lead Charlie vehicle accelerated ahead in search of glory, only to find an excess of it in a nearby barn. Mounting a rescue mission, I soon found myself up to my elbows in blood, guts, and legs that refused to move. By this time the BTR had caught up, and Waffly, being the brave leader we all know him to be, ordered us back to the beach as soon as possible, leaving poor Black Mamba and crew to be mercilessly slaughtered by their own APC.

We then pushed up to help Bravo, and blew something up whilst driving away and not looking back. Attempting to hold a hillside, we came under fire from multiple directions, leading to a game of Find the Injured Comrade in the Long Grass. We charged down into the airfield, and attempted to clear. Waffly stuck his face around a corner he wasn't supposed to, and got bits of it blown off. Under fire, I did my very best attempt at reconstructive surgery, all whilst my patient was screaming "Don't you die, don't you dare die before you heal me!" With the procedure finished, I took a step back to admire my own handiwork and promptly got shot.

Also: Ice, despite being a deadly ninja assassin, really enjoys giving wounded people belly rubs. Who knew?

Roadside
Bravo 2 AAR

"Interesting" I thought, as clouds of blood started to emanate from the face sat directly across from me, "I didn't know ArmA was able to model nosebleeds?” And then the screaming started.

In my defence, I did head to the rocks to the west of the road for cover, only dashing back to try and drag a wounded comrade out of the killing zone. That went predictably well, and I figured there was nothing to be lost by bleeding out amongst friends instead of on my own next to a boulder. Our FTL tried to get a crawling charge going, but when it ran out of steam/blood, I just rolled under the truck and awaited death's warm embrace.

Goose Chase
BLUFOR Alpha Medic

I was dropped off with the second Alpha element as a blocking force to the north of the enemy in Vshnoye. Not particularly effectively, as I didn't seem to have comms with the other two guys in my squad, and not having them on my HUD meant I often ran across a field only to find no sign of them once I'd reached the other side.

As it was, we were in the wrong place as the enemy had swung west. Hearing breathless accounts of Ebass's kill streak and Bravo's enveloping manoeuvre, we arranged a pickup from Tigershark and were spectators to everything that followed.

Comms issues seemed to be the thing that really sunk BLUFOR in this one, especially once our CO got shot out of the chopper. I didn't even realise the hostage we picked up (Waffly) had died until much later - I just sat there wondering why we weren't extracting him to the airfield.

I was in the front seat of the helo, so I didn't see the tree until it was too late. Tried ejecting but seemed to get stuck in the tree myself, leading to my glorious immolation.

Karavan
Bravo 2 AAR

I spent this one peering out of a doorway into the fog, and firing at muzzle-flashes and blurry shapes. Thankfully Mamuto had set us up in a good position, and his and Cuddlefish's dead-eye accuracy ensured any puppets and puppeteers were kept at arm's length. I got only half the number of kills they did, but satisfyingly they were all various incarnations of Bodge :D

We seem to have riled him up slightly as time and time again PKM fire hosed the upper floors of our building. I kept expecting to run upstarts and find my comrade's broken body, but Cuddle must have pulled some Matrix-style moves as he remained unscathed. Shame about Mamuto though, but his heroic sacrifice was not in vain.

2 Days to Retirement
Police Dude Super Team (mike, SuperU, Lwlooz, Me)

We got off to one hell of a start when mike's copy of ArmA crashed when he was driving. What followed was a slightly trippy no-clip journey through various bits of scenery, a spell doing donuts in a field, and the dawning realisation that we couldn't actually get out of the car until he re-logged.

A few minutes later and we were ready to rock. Someone had flipped the "Terminator" switch in SuperU's head, and he proceeded to gun down at least a fireteam and a half with his shotgun, cackling with murderous glee as he went.

"There's another one!" BLAM "And another!" BLAM "I bet there's one in here!" BLAM "I was right!"

Sadly his own particular brand of rough justice had to end eventually, and we took over where he left off, clearing the ground floor of the school building. I foolhardily began a charge up the stairs, only for my screen to cut to Spectator Mode.

"Issus just exploded!"

Yep. Would love to say it was a new kamikaze police tactic, but it was Lwlooz's grenade that did me in. But as I always say in these circumstances, blame the physics system, not the player :)

fer

Post by fer »

More later, but first ...

GooseChase

OPFOR A2 FTL: Lwlooz
|- R: Fer

I was part of the force than ran west, right into ambush valley. We actually made it across the valley itself, and onto the wooded slope, and then came under fire from north and south simultaneously. I don't know where our northern attackers were, but guessed them to be close judging from the rifle reports; the southern ones I was able to glimpse, dashing amongst the buildings of the village below. I popped off a few shots, but at that range my AK was more effective at advertising my position than hurting the enemy. When the return fire came, I fled deeper into the woods. I was alone. Over TeamSpeak, comrade DC Draakon asked me what was going on ("Everyone is dead, I believe they have the hostage, sounds like the helos are pulling out - they're headed for you, no doubt), wished me luck, and then I really did feel all alone. Except for the helos. Which were still circling. Which was odd. So I decided to try and occupy them as best I could, firing up at one from the trees. Perhaps I would get a lucky shot, or at least buy Bravo an extra minute? And for about 30 seconds I hoped against hope. Then there was the sound of twigs snapping behind me (there really was), and I turned to see an enemy soldier pointing his carbine at me. I'm not even sure I had time to pull the trigger.

:owned:

Karavan

Assassin 7 Leader (Puppeteer)

Teleported my AI squad to a location south of the village, then proceeded, with comrade Drakoon - er - Assassin 6 - and his troops alongside mine, up a narrow valley to a crossroads where a burnt-out BTR-60 was looking very forlorn amongst the empty houses and shacks. Heeding the commands of - er - Assassin Actual - we pushed on, northwards, to where the valley descended gently into a rocky meadow, beyond which I could see a village through the fog. My men and I took up positions in that meadow, and not a moment too soon, for Takistani Army troops began to bob up and down from behind cover in the buildings, like enemies in Spec Ops: The Line. After some AK-sniping (oxymoron!), I was reminded that unlike that cover-based shooter, hiding behind a rock does not stop the bleeding. I died a few times, and then watched as comrade Bodge put RPGs into a helicopter and died. And died again. Glad to hear the positive comments about aiXX missions - more can be manufactured.

Afterparty: Two Days to Retirement Vybor

Long-haired rocker

We hid in a building with stairs leading up to a locked door, and that felt like a metaphor for something bad. Indeed, much death visited and was visited upon that house soon after we occupied it. The best part of a police team arrived and was murdered in the hallway, but when I crept out to tend to injured comrades a filthy pig copper in the street shot me and I tumbled to the ground, incapacitated and bleeding, the life rushing out of me. I did wonder if, having rendered me combat ineffective, the pig would render me medical aid; but alas, the pig was just a gang banger with a badge, and he rendered another shell into my face.