StrangLove

[Tue] 22 Jan 2013 (Captain's slog)

Post by StrangLove »

Missions:
  • Rolling Matro
  • Cinderella
  • Broney
  • Fighting Withdrawal (testing)
A diminutive session which more than made up for numbers in it's loveliness - you guys made the session incredibly easy to run, so thanks for that! Despite our low playercount we managed to seize a hill on Rolling Mat (Damn you wolf for your un-spellable mission names!). Unimpressed by our efforts against the AI, I endeavored to improve our kill-count by booting up a classic; Cinderella. Despite the death of the Bradley, Opfor lost a close battle (It was 2:1 guvna, honest!). Finally, Broney presented Opfor troops with a challenging, player-led AI force who cheated filthily (They were our IFVs! OURS!). Finally, we did some testing. Testing! TESTING!
Thanks everyone for coming along! Thoughts and comments on everything (Mission choice, hosting style, toy use) as well as reports go below comrade! :jihad:

PS: Please, please, please: If it's obvious that we don't want extra assets used, especially in an adversarial, it is NOT okay to take them from starting locations, especially if you're on the opposing team. The use of a BMP in the AiXX, whilst rather funny for Indie, ruined the mission for several players killed by it - that's just not cool, and just not the way we play, so let's keep that behavior out of the Tuesday and Sunday sessions.

Tsumei

Re: [Tue] 22 Jan 2013 (Captain's slog)

Post by Tsumei »

This was my first time playing with you good folks, and I thought it was a lot of fun. I was quite lucky on the first run, terribly unlucky on the second and I suspect that car killed my entire squad while I lay confused in a field on the third..

I don't have that much interesting to add about the missions, I learnt a lot of small things that might be overlooked in guides though and definitely feel I have more experience with squad movement and navigation, because in the testing mission I actually got it right, and our squad did surprisingly well overall :)

Also it was hillarious when the two fellows who had been mounting the charge were promptly blown up infront of my eyes.. Who did that? :lol:

Issus

Post by Issus »

Not much of an AAR this week due to early deaths in the first three missions. However, I would just like to mention that Kale giving birth to a fully-grown A10 (whilst being dutifully midwifed by Lord Penney) was possibly the most moving thing I've ever come across during any Folk ARPS session. The sight of that carefree plane bouncing joyously down the valley was enough to bring a tear to the eye of the most seasoned squaddie. Needless to say, I'm holding out hope that someone managed to record it.

I also would like to add a brief apology to daf, whom I summarily executed last night. :commissar:
(OK, so it was technically a mercy killing, but when he requested a dignified bullet to the head to put him out of his legless misery I doubt he wanted me to unload a full RPK mag into his torso at close range)

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

Rolling Matro

This was like a nightmarish comeback of Sunday's session. Oh, it started well enough. Following StrangLove as part of Charlie 3, carrying ammo for Guus, and with EBass's timely arrival. Some very tense moments as we get surprised by some infantry down the valley and have move to the other side of the truck we were using as cover. Comrade Strang keeps his cool and patches Guus up, who was hit in the first moments of the impromptu battle.

As we take positions up the hill, the guys on our left flank start getting torn to pieces. I see daf medicking around in some smoke that got popped, and I begin providing some covering fire (does it even work on AI? I'm starting to guess not!). Unfortunately, our position is terrible, we can't see a damned thing and there's barely any cover in any direction. I get hit. Looks like a repeat of my first session! But, after some manly masculine calls for medical assistance, Guus bravely comes on over and patches me up amidst a hail of enemy fire. A tear comes to my eye as he says "I'll always be here for you" - such a brave, brave soldier. And, in fact, he was there a fraction of a second after he patched me up, when I got a bullet to the brain :psyboom:

:owned:

This seems to be recurrent. Provide some covering fire, get shot in the face and either get insta-killed or wounded, then healed, then insta-killed. And prone both times! The rest of the squad (StrangLove, Guus and EBass) go on to have a glorious career, climbing up the hill up to some sandbags.

Cinderella

I was in Bravo, with kerfitz and I forget the names of the others (sorry!). We were tasked with attacking from straight due north, with no hard cover and passable concealment. It was a terrible position to assault, but other squads got engaged first and we used that break to rush up to the walls of the compound. We thought we cleared it, but a guy shot at us from a window and in the ensuing minutes we had three men down. The guy at the window was down though, so I rushed over to patch the rest of 'em up. We did lose the MG, but took positions in a building. In a fit of overzealous rocketry, our building almost got taken out by a friendly RPG! But it was all good, it gave us a nice hole to look out from! We held positions, scavenging exploderating weapons to throw at the armour just outside. While flanking, some smartypants concealed on a roof shot me before I even laid eyes on him... all I saw was a beautiful white flash!

Still, I feel living past the first gunshots has been a gift from the heavens!

Broney

Back in StrangLove's squad - Bravo 1 I do believe - we were advancing down the valley in a wonderful daze of Party-inspired efficiency. We kept looking in all directions, covering every angle, clearing compounds like a well-oiled machine (well-oiled Soviet compound-cleaning machines, huzzah). Of course, it was too quiet... I said so myself! And too quiet it was, but not after we over-extended at one point. We pushed up to a compound ahead of everyone else, with noone on our flanks. We stack up against the wall, and in a matter of seconds we are all dead or dying.

Then this amazingly nice gentleman, dressed differently than us, comes running up, all "how do you do, sir", and "it'll be quite alright, sir, we'll patch you right up, sir". I was ever so grateful. What a wonderful civilian to find us, and just at a time like this! This is why I was dumbfounded when he told me to drop my weapon while he pointed his own right between my eyes. What a conundrum! Such a friendly bloke, patching me up, and then, in the sweetest tones, telling us to drop our weapons. I was honestly confused!

It turns out this fine gentleman (Dannysaysno) was our enemy, and was trying to take me prisoner. He was so nice it didn't even cross my mind he could be the enemy, dressed as one though he was. I do wish I had dropped my weapon and seen where it all led.

Let this be a lesson to all of you prisoner-takers around here. Don't act like a valet towards people you want to take as prisoner! It genuinely confuses us!

This session was great fun! :) Absolutely looking forward to the next ones :)

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

A nice and quiet session. I was surprised at how quick we were when it came to slotting. Perfect numbers for a tuesday.

Rolling Matrioshka
Bravo 1 FTL, B1 : audiox, dan, BlackMamba, Skalpaddan

Soooo, this mission without any armored support seemed a bit suicidal, luckily that seems to be us most of the time.

Toppometer was BSL, and did a nice job keeping us informed and involved throughout. Me and my team strolled around, Mamba took a bullet to the face, and thereafter the rest of us decided that an MG-nest would spice up our day. I survived (i never do in forests, so this was weird) and tagged along the rest of Bravo.
I eventually ended up taking lead for Bravo, which was confusing enough for me to get needlessly killed.

(When we encountered the MG-nest i noticed that i completely lost my bearing when it came to commanding my team, causing them to die pretty needlessly, i'll have to work on that, no need to be downhill from an mg under most circumstances. Not only that, i decided to look for Toppo and Kristine and looked in all the wrong places, kinda silly not to check the gps i guess).

Cinderella
Charlie FTL, Charlie : audiox, Zitron, Universal, daf
"charlie, you might get spotted from ther....."loading spectator screen". Quick and painless.

At least it was an interesting adversarial to watch.

Crocuta

Post by Crocuta »

Rolling Matrioszka: I was in Alpha 1 during the clusterfuck at the bunker. Our FTL disconnected (after dying?), and my other two teammates charged forward through the trees. I went to follow, and then they came charging back again just before I was shot. Soon, everyone was crawling around, wounded. It was just before all of this that I lost my situational awareness. I don’t know how it all happened.

Cinderella: BLUFOR, Alpha 1. We were guarding the north west road entrance. Our FTL told us to turn on our lasers. I press L - “damn, mine’s a flashlight.” I spent a lot of time against a wall, covering the south west compound entrance, occasionally switching back to help with suppressing fire.

We eventually moved back into the compound and took fire from a destroyed building, taking us down to half strength. I got separated from the last member of Alpha 1, saw his “Argh” in the chat box, and threw a grenade in the direction I heard the shots. I moved out of the compound and skirted round some bushes, figuring that OPFOR would all be inside, and asked over coms “is anyone still alive?” Wilson replied, and maybe I should have said where I was, but the adrenaline was insane. We ended up meeting inside a house. I went downstairs to check the door and opened fire on the last of OPFOR. My hands were shaking.

Broney: Nothing much to say about this. I was still paranoid from the last mission and gave a detailed contact report, checked my map, and it turned out to be Alpha 1. :v: Shortly after, I was taken out by a very naughty IFV.

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Some video footage, for AAR and Daf.
In their descriptions there some highlights.
Didn't post about Matryoshka because it was having bad frames in that one.

Cinderella:

http://youtu.be/9SgjQ8Wdrrc

Broney:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiumKsU9ZjU
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

Kefirz, thanks for posting that! It's hard evidence that I survived past the first 5m! ;)

Really enjoyed it :) Gotta be careful with those wily stairs though. Looks like they are BLUFOR stairs!