[Sun] 27 Jan 2013 (Keep on truckin')

How we died
Macaco

Re: [Sun] 27 Jan 2013 (Keep on truckin')

Post by Macaco »

I was off doing other things and didn't get around till the start of the Roadside, but it was already in the briefing so I went and played A-10C waiting for the next mission.

Rolling Bohica
HAT gunner

I spent most of the time following around Alpha 2 staring into the woods with my CLU looking for thermal blips. Once we got up to the barn I spotted a bunch of guys behind us in the woods and called it in. Kept tabs on their movement as best I could. Alpha then moved into the woods to the North, and started taking heavy fire. I was ordered to move up for some reason and was quickly murdered. :commissar: Tell my wife she was always my only #1.

Swept
Ind Alpha squad lead
Lazers great plan was for Alpha to hide in the buildings by the south valley and wait for OpFor to advance past with Bravo as bait, then they would hop out and take them from behind. Unfortunately OpFor cleverly didn't rush in. However Alpha maintained great discipline and kept hidden and quiet while one of the OpFor squads observed them from the hills. (They where there since before the squad on the south hills arrived, as was I up on the hill, just watching you guys. Cheers to the guy who RPGed the building 20 meters in front of him nearly killing his own team.) Bravo took a few shots at them and they retreated around to the north (step 2 on Fer's map). The other OpFor squad had moved up past alpha, and when Fer's squad was between step 3 and 4, I ordered one of the Alpha FTs to march north and ambush them to much grumbling. It was around this time that they spotted me up in the hills and shot me.

I have taken the liberty of adapting Fer's map to illustrate. I hope I don't end up in the Gulag for this.

I probably stepped on lazerz toes a bit but we hadn't split channels and I wasn't always sure what was him giving orders and what was other people making comments on things. :zoidberg:

SuperU

Post by SuperU »

Crateresistance - INDE Co
NAPA CO here! Would just like to give a heads up to future hosts of this mission, when we slotted crateistance (I was CO inde) I was given a full alpha and bravo squad. Once planning had began I realised this was impracticable so I had to brake off a3 and b3 off to create a pseudo Charlie. In the future slotting this with a1, a2, b1, b2, c1 and c2 would be much more beneficial.

In this mission I had alpha, bravo and pseudo Charlie defend their respective caches, once the enemy advance was confirmed to the north "Charlie" was used in conjunction with bravo to pincer the enemy advance... we won!

Roadside - ASL
During slotting I actually slotted as DSL (Considering our previous "success" at this mission I wanted to lead delta to victory once more!) However comrade fer gave me a field promotion to ASL (That basta........ handsome good sir). With this new promotion I lead alpha squad across the valley ridge to the east with great effect, we took some heavy fire from the opposite ridge so we just sat tight and waited for bravo to moisturise the problem!

Great mission over all! My one critique would be to organise the extraction of the civilian trucks in a more effective manner, ei A, B, C squad take three trucks each.

Rolling Bohica - A2? AR
This was perhaps my favourite mission of the night, under strange-glove we provided cover for Charlie s advance, we then mounted back up in our truck (I made an offensive slur about the US military) and we pushed 200 meters up. From here on in we were in the danger zone. We took sporadic EI contact as we pushed up though the fields and forest. At some point I liberated (looted) a makarov (does this mean I am a party official?) which I then in turned used against the enemy to strangs dismay. We then pushed up to the barn near zeleno, I shot some dudes only to then get shot dead by a team mate who will remain unnamed!

Swept SE - A? AT
Got out of chopper, pushed though open ground, shot RPG at dude, killed dannysaysnooooooo, helped wounded up, shot at other dude, got killed by WAFFLY.

To critique the movement of bravo squad in this mission, pulling them of alphas exposed right flank was deadly to alpha and imo was the reason we got flanked and decimated.

Sorry to all readers I am 5 pints too wasted.

delcake

Post by delcake »

Crateresistance
INDFOR Bravo 2 AAR
Mamuto, Cuddlefish, delcake, Sylver

This was my first visit to Crateresistance, but I've tagged along with both Mamuto and Cuddlefish in a few fireteams now and was quite confident in our defense. Bravo 2 was tasked with defending likely the most defensible cache directly on top of a hill with great visibility in every direction. We had little time to bunker down though, because all too soon we had reports of enemy movement. Before I knew it, they seemed to be all around the hill and Mamuto called out for first aid. I tended to my FTL and discovered shortly thereafter that not only had Cuddlefish and Sylver fallen victim to the enemy, but my mic had succumbed to whatever ills have been plaguing it rendering all my attempts at VON nothing but static. I relegated myself to text chat and ARMA's limited selection of vocal reports and stuck with Mamuto. We repelled what little was left of the attacking force with one registered kill to my name, then continued with the grand-master plan of flanking the enemy engaged with Alpha. Sadly I fell directly behind Mamuto to friendly fire as well. We bled out gloriously, for the party.

Roadside
OPFOR Bravo 2 AAR
Mamuto, Adam, delcake, Cuddlefish

After bleeding out together last mission, I decided to follow Mamuto into the thick of it once more, and on what better map than the very one that saw the rear-guard ambushed by the very ambush that got the rest of the caravan? I had performed some microphone-healing black magicks but, unbeknownst to me, had managed to convince ARMA to stop playing any and all sound. I heard Teamspeak fine, but was deaf for the mission. I relied heavily on STHud to maintain awareness of my fireteam, and was able to keep aware of enemy sightings thanks to Teamspeak. I tended to verify visually that friendlies had engaged before firing myself, but it all worked out until our earlier referenced visit to the village. I had seen Adam drop to the floor and stepped up to provide some covering fire assuming he had simply gone prone to avoid the hail of angry bullets, and to cover Mamuto's daring recovery of Cuddlefish. Unfortunately Adam had already perished, and I was claimed quickly after that by an enemy I did not see.

Rolling Bohica
BLUFOR Bravo 2 AT
audiox, Tink, Universal, delcake

Having been mute the first mission and deaf the second, I resolved to forever abolish my crippled status and return to full combat-effectiveness. A quick restart of ARMA and I was ready to go. Ferrard's leading of Bravo was assertive and quite effective as a result. Audiox kept us all appraised of the situation and any contingencies and his style of leadership saw Bravo 2 all the way through to session completion. Less time spent questioning and verifying orders means more time spent on situational awareness and security. I've uploaded my PoV of this mission to Youtube with most of the points of interest linked in the description: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv5gyqRdj0E

PoIs Include: Mission Start, Wrath of the Truck, Clearing the Forest, The Plan, Bravo Squad Stepping Up, Catching the Enemy Unawares, Bravo's Bounding Movement, Little Bird Crash, 3 x M136s vs. Enemy Kamov, Too Many Grenades, and Objective Complete.

Natural disclaimer is that I'm still winging it and feel like I'm bumbling around a lot. Oh, and there may have been some friendly ragging on Charlie on my part. We still love 'em though; they brought us vehicles. :mrgreen:

Oh, and perhaps someone would like to check out the 3 x M136s vs. Enemy Kamov bookmark. My own was the last AT missile shot (which maybe shouldn't have been, but for the split second there it seemed like the chopper might have still been capable of flight), but I didn't register a hit and it seems like my missile might have gone through the chopper. Just curious as to how that looked for others that were present or that can see the video with enough detail.

In any case, see you all next Sunday!

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Heroic session all the way through!
I'm glad some of you did enjoy Rolling Bohica. (and sorry for those who had terrible framerates)
As mission makers, with those numbers, we reached some kind of threshold now when going for Wolfenswan-grade missions. We (in bravo) didn't meet any real challenge (I'm pretty sure that we hadn't taken any casualty when the mission was called, even though this is probably the mission with the bigger number of enemies ever played in a FOLK ARPS session (and I had to cut it down before release, fearing it might explode the good ol' server). Problem is, I found the AI to be most unresponsive (at some point, near the end, I'm ambushed by a fireteam of enemies, about 30 meters away from me, in some dark woods, yet I manage to kill three of them, the fourth being taken out by somebody else).
Of course, there was some faulty mission design: that mission was waaaay too long, so I could reduce the AO size and thus the enemy numbers. (as a side note, any of the server wizards have any idea what was the server FPS on that mission?)
Anyway, most of my latest missions have been conceived to be easily adapted to a Headless Client System, and I really can't wait for the 1.63 patch. We will all die.
Universal wrote:I entered, killed an enemy who was lolling wounded, continued up the stairs only to be badly wounded myself. I think I took the guy with me though, so that's ok!
That you did! Although one of the guys on your fireteam was probably the luckiest dude ever, as I shot him twice and saw the bullets ricochet on his AK, twice. Plus I shot the wall right in front of me again when I could have murdered two dudes. Damn arma windows.

PS. Fer, d'you want me to edit that mission to start from right before Drozhino?

Macaco

Post by Macaco »

How many AI where in that mission mamba? When I died a little past half way in there was still a LOT of AI on the map, I can only imagine what it was in the beginning.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Can't tell you exactly because it's very randomized, but probably in the 400. Maybe a bit less. (When I first tested the mission, there was 650 enemy AI on the map. :dance: )

fer

Post by fer »

Black Mamba wrote:PS. Fer, d'you want me to edit that mission to start from right before Drozhino?
Yes please, but using the v2 version of the mission. Let me know if you'd like me to send you an unPBO'd copy of the mission folder.

I think, to your point about writing missions for these playercounts, we may begin considering a set of recommendations for all FA mission makers. Not rules, per se, but guidance on issues that should be considered when writing high playercount missions. For example, when I edited this mission, it was primarily to ensure all elements had vehicles and were pre-loaded - and it probably saved us 3-5 minutes of MS Logistics Simulator[TM] at the start. I shall put these points, and the barrel of an AK-47, to comrade Wolfenswan, Commissar of FA mission-making. When they let me leave my compound.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

fer wrote:when I edited this mission, it was primarily to ensure all elements had vehicles and were pre-loaded - and it probably saved us 3-5 minutes of MS Logistics Simulator[TM] at the start.
Got that, loud and clear. I admit it totally skipped my mind, but it is indeed a good thing to do, and I'll make sure to adress that issue in any future mission where it's relevant.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Crateresistance
Deployed as Alpha 1 FTL
Chernarus decided to pull a fast one on us. Normally, it kills us with foliage and trees. This time, it plopped us onto wide open plains with absolutely no cover or concealment to be found for miles.

Alpha positioned itself on the East and Southeastern slope of Steak & Shake Hill, with Alpha 1 hugging some trees in a very sparse, open forest. No godawful Chernarussian brush here! We could see for miles!

Which is why BluFor, the tricksy bastards, came at us from the other direction. Sitting in those forests, watching South East, I asked my squad lead, "Hey, is anyone watching North? I feel uncomfortable about my ass." So Dan assured me that we were, just in time for our sleepy sentry and the entirety of Alpha 2 to get wiped in a matter of seconds. Dan followed thereafter, and I announced to our CO that we had been overrun and were going to take as many of them with us as we could. I couldn't keep up my end of the bargain and got grenade-to-the-faced, but Wilson did some bril maneuvering and flanked the fuck out of three BluFor dudes while Strang wriggled around, screaming obscenities. Eventually, the last of the BluFor dogs were hunted down and executed given proper pamphlets and informational material and promptly inducted into The Party.

Roadside
Deployed as Platoon CO
Our convoy is under attack! I, being a sensible Takistani Commanding Officer, am not riding in the first vehicle, have an entire motorized platoon playing rear guard, and have a heliborn squad of dudes on standby back at Rasman Airfield. Although, knowing the Takistani populace, they're probably in Rasman itself at a hookah bar.

I liberally applied Russian methodology of valley clearance - get two thirds of your elements on the high ground to pour massed fire down into the valley while the third element barges forward through the center to flush the enemy. Me being me, I had the "Armored" vehicle tag along behind the center element to provide as much absolutely withering fire as we possibly could. The "Armored" vehicle being a BRDM, its gunner was almost instantly shot through by a DShKM - thankfully, a kidney punch restored him to full health. We slaughtered our way down the valley, obliterating huge swaths of scumbag rebels as our squads loosed fusillades of fire downrange. Charlie split off and worked with Delta to block, sweep, and destroy a small detachment of rebels to our left while Bravo and Alpha supported one another into the midst of the remaining civilian trucks and the engineers ferried a bunch of trucks back to an impromptu laager, where your very own glorious CO gave them a ride back to the front line! Eventually, we recovered the trucks and an entire armada of motorized Conestoga wagons rumbled into Falar. There was just a strange sneaking suspicion that we might have left something in the field... like all of Charlie and Delta Squads.
:laugh:

Simply put, this mission went off rather textbook. It might have something to do with enemy contacts being met with nothing but BOOLETS, maybe something to do with making sure that every element except Delta was constantly supported by another, and certainly nothing to do with me driving a repair truck back and forth and back and forth!

<<Placeholder for Video>>

Rolling Bohica
Deployed as Bravo Squad Leader
Due to some restlessness in the ranks, I reverted to my old past-time of ruling over my subjects with a tyrannical fist! Every fireteam movement was calculated, with Bravo's pace dictated by the swiftness of each FTL's response, and I have to say, Bravo was a very well-oiled killing machine. We even managed to pull off resupplying the entire squad in the midst of a foresty firefight, which is a feat of some logistical prowess, I must say. Bravo seemed like the vanguard for just about the entire mission, constantly on the move. Even when we were told to go back to the trucks and mount up, the action still found us, as Waffly did a flawless impression of Bird + Window, then a blackshark did a flawless impression of a clay pigeon, all directly over our heads! After sweeping and clearing several forests and laying down good ol' American overkill on random patrols of dudes, Bravo finally found a truck, tweeted an instagram to our wives about it, and blew it the fuck up 'cuz fuck trucks. :dance:

<<Placeholder for Video>>

Swept SE
Deployed as OpFor Bravo 1 FTL
Due to something in Kale's TeamSpeak not liking my teamspeak, I hurriedly field-promoted the only other dude in the channel with CC on (Fer) to BSL. We approached this IndFor infested town from the west, moving in a frighteningly predictable line towards the baddies. On the hills, we tried to spot dastardly green dudes, but couldn't see any - though I certainly caught sight of someone opening a door to look out.

At our commander's behest, Bravo dashed down into the first village, wildly clearing each building until we were left with one very frightening closed door. In answer, I had my AT guy blast the building with an RPG to shake up anyone inside, then Blue Team stormed the building only to find that we had broken all the fine china in the village for naught.

Immediately afterwards, command got refreshingly creative, and sent Bravo on the huuuuge flanking maneuver outlined in Fer's image while Alpha stayed still and apparently got obliterated whilst in defensive positions. It was at this point that Comrade Fer ordered a glorious charge to wipe out the small detachment of dudes we spotted heading up the hill towards us. Bravo 1 took point and apparently raced right past those dudes on the other side of the ridge. Three of us made it down into the buildings and began consolidating until I realized that Fer and the entirety of Bravo 2 were conspicuously silent. As was every last dude in Alpha.

At that point, we remaining three swarmed through the village, narrowly avoiding GPs, grenades, and rifle-fire. Between us, we took out maybe two or three additional greenies before we were nibbled to death by bullets.

Bedtime (afterparty)
"I'm just here for tourism, stop shooting me!"
"Hey Mr. Technical, can you tell me a story?"

"NO!" *BOOM BOOM BOOM*

Bedtime (more afterparty)
Skorpions suck
"Go to sleep dude, you've sucked down a mag of Skorp!"

"NO!" *POW POW POW*
Soldat123 wrote:As always, a grand time was had by all.

There was, however, something I noticed in Swept SE concerning clearing procedures. [snip]

Just my two pence...

-- Stoner
I may have time to gin up a decent Urban Clearing post for the Workshop area. Stay tuned to find out if I do indeed have the time!

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

It's been quite a while, but hey better late then never, right?

Crateresistance
I was an IND AR, managed to shoot at someone until the mission ended.
There are some highlights in the video description.

(I'll have to re-upload it as I suspect Youtube's automatic shaking ''fix'' even made it worse.)

Roadside
Spend my days on a lonely hill as Delta QRF, nothing to show here really as I stared into EI 1km away marking their moves :D although I shot a technical it was a bit shameful that I did it on the 3rd time. At first I didn't get the range how far was it so I shot willy-nilly at it, the second time I over shot it as thinking it must be miles away then, well luckily the third time is the charm and I got it. I heard it gave the chopper a hard time, was that true?

Rolling Bohica
This mission didn't go well for me either as I had 7 FPS at the start and it gradually reduced as we moved towards the Zelenogorsk. In the end I just called it quits because the AI guy who I left behind would be more of an use than me.

Although I got some sweet screenshots of what I think was M136 shooting a helicopter.

http://i47.tinypic.com/hrfwvm.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/i5d74z.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/28is4dt.jpg

Aaaand our very own Waffly crashing a heli. with a power line to heaven? :D

http://i49.tinypic.com/selzyd.jpg

''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott