[Sun] 10 Feb 2013 (Horsemeat Hill)

How we died
Dogface

Re: [Sun] 10 Feb 2013 (Horsemeat Hill)

Post by Dogface »

Yeah, mortars get a bad rep but I'd actually like to see them used more, especially with this kind of system. I can think of several missions where it'd give us more of a fighting chance and add more variety to the combat without unbalancing it, IMO. Likewise for light attack helos like littlebirds or doorguns. But it would definitely require some work from SLs (and/or a FAC/F.Obs) to call in and coordinate the missions.

Crocuta

Post by Crocuta »

If we play with ACRE again I could imagine a small CO-OP mission with a mortar team and scouts being fun.

Cuddlefish

Post by Cuddlefish »

Very much agree that mortars could be cool - both for and against us, honestly. Last mod-saturday in the first non-aborted mission we came under AI mortar fire, which had never happened to me in Arma before owing to the fact that we don't really use them. Being holed up in a house as the rounds came whistling down around it was awesome, particularly because the accuracy of the impacts (either due to AI fudging or just mechanical inaccuracy) was such that they were scary but not some sort of laser-guided fuck-you-instadie, and also because JSRS was really coming through in terms of selling the whole situation. How much of that feeling of intensity without cheapness was due to the fact that the mission used respawning so when I *did* get blown to chunks by a lucky round landing directly on top of us it wasn't the mission end is debatable, of course. It'd need careful balancing, but I think it's worth investigating at the least.

fer

Post by fer »

Note: As usual, I've uploaded some screenshots of the map mid-mission. Thank you to everyone who made it to the session - it was a pleasure to host (also as usual). I just want to add that I think it's awesome to see the number and quality of comrades' AAR posts of late (for this and many other sessions). You folks rock! As soon as I'm liberated from illegal house arrest (enforced by Bodgist faction troops), I'm doubling the vodka ration.

Clergyman

Bravo 3 FTL: Fer
|- AR: Unaco
|- RPG: Head

Bravo's tasking was to flank left, using a combination of dead ground and woodland to move from our starting location to positions just west of the Church, across an open field. We used our truck to cover half the distance, then moved amongst the trees in a squad formation that would have brought the majority of our firepower to bear upon the village had we been contacted prematurely.

As we neared the church our plan was adapted slightly - we'd hooked around more than originally intended, to better exploit the woods and hedges. Now, Bravo 1 advanced southwards down a hedgerow that delivered it to the northern wall of the church compound, whilst across the field to the west, Bravos 2 and 3 covered from the treeline. Our advance was uncontested, or barely so, such that almost immediately after Bravo 1 reached the compound, the rest of the squad was sprinting across the open field towards breaks in the western wall.

As I ran across the field (wondering what could possibly go wrong with this manoeuvre), I marvelled at the low sun, just peeping over the ridge to the east, beyond the village. Except it wasn't the sun. It was our BMP-2, burning.
lowsun.png
lowsun.png (474.48 KiB) Viewed 10425 times
My fireteam played its part in defending the southern end of the church, coming under fire in the final moments of the mission. Comrade Unaco was injured, but before I could finish laying down smoke and drag him to safety, the mission ended. In victory for us, I should add!

Great to see a new comrade mission maker amongst us; great work, comrade Wilson!

:science101:

Rolling Bohica Part 2

Alpha 2 FTL: Tigershark
|- AR: Dan
|- AAR: AstuteCat
|- RAT: Fer

The first fifteen minutes of this mission were inconsequential for me: Alpha moved about the terrain, occasionally spotting distant patrols well beyond reasonable engagement range. In the moonlight, without NVGs (and, importantly, without enemy fire) the experience was atmospheric, even calm.

That all changed when we reached the southern base of Green Mountain.

Alpha lined up and began a slow, walking pace sweep of the dark woods, every step taking us further up the slope towards a road that bisected the hill along its east-west axis. There was sporadic fire whilst we moved, but I confess I saw nothing myself. Walking up in the line, It was like a pheasant shoot, but at night. And the pheasants had AKs.

When we reached the little road, we took fire from our east, and for a moment it seemed as if a lack of communication had caused Bravo to open up on us. I'm not sure this was the case, but the firing stopped; next, the squad wheeled left and began to advance along the axis of the road towards the radio mast.
radiomast.png
radiomast.png (104.04 KiB) Viewed 10425 times
As we approached the compound, we veered left, back into the dark woods, then wheeled right so that the squad came to a halt facing north, crouched in the inky darkness, poised to attack the compound's southern wall.

We moved forward, and straight into a hail of enemy fire. I was wounded, as were many others; the uninjured dragged us to safety, our attack stalled. It was horror in the blackness, but at least the enemy did no pursue us, or toss grenades downslope. We dressed the line and prepared to charge again. It was Napoleonic; and lethal.

Note: The use of walking pace isn't something we see often, but I have to say that for moving through woodland, especially on Chernarus, it's an effective tactic. Whilst I appreciate that we don't MilSim and want to avoid unnecessary elongation of missions, it's worth remembering that jogging is not our only movement option. We also have crawling and rolling around in agony.

CompoundIt

Bravo SL: Fer
|- M: Bad Bob

Comrade CO EBass' plan saw Bravos 1 and 2 take up positions on the western ridge, whilst the two-man Bravo 3 ascended the northen ridge. After the break to channels, as BSL I adjusted the order, advising FTLs not to place their entire squads in exposed positions on the high ground - I didn't want the majority of my squad skylined. Later, I would wish I'd taken my own advice.

Early in the mission it became clear that we were in a race to the southern cache. Bravo 2 was able to reach it quickly, and eventually became heroes in a desperate house-to-house fight in that compound. Meanwhile, Bravo 1 had been attempting to make its way southwards, to a position that I thought would allow it to pour fire into the enemy's flank; sadly, whilst crossing open ground I believe they were engaged and rendered combat ineffective. Not sure what happened to Bravo 3 in the confusion.

For myself, I ended up on the middle ridge, attempting to glimpse the enemy force attacking Bravo 2's position (I saw and fired on a single infantryman, who was lingering in a doorway). In hindsight, it was a stupid position - even prone, I was a skylined target. I got what I deserved, and spent the last few minutes of the mission writhing about on the exposed ground. Bad Bob had been sent away to rescue Bravo 1, so I was left to plead with comrade Draakon over CC for one of his Alpha squad members to come and patch me up.

They never came.

:argh:

Roadside II

Engineer: Tink
|- E: Fer

I can see where comrade CO Draakon's plan came from, because in many respects it would have been sub-optimal to cede the high ground around the village to the enemy without a fight. However, the lack of cover, ill-suited effective engagement range of our AKs and lack of NVGs meant that we might have been better served with a few pickets in the hills, and the majority of our force taking cover in the buildings.

However, to be fair to comrade Draakon, the briefing told him his mission was to protect the trucks. He didn't know that BLUFOR was actually tasked with erasing his platoon from the world (whilst avoiding damage to the trucks); so he may have assumed that failing to contest the high ground would have allowed the enemy to rain rockets and grenades down on the settlement.

Tink's orders to me were to place two satchel charges at locations south of the village, then retreat to a safe position and be ready to exploderise advancing enemies. I managed the first part, but loitered in a window too long and paid the ultimate price. There was no exploderising.

Hosts/Mission Maker's Note: In hindsight, there were too many puppeteer squads; I'm still convinced that our chances of survival would have been greater in the town, but perhaps if there had only been four enemy groups, more of the platoon might have been able to fall back to the village as Draakon instructed. Some tweaking may occur, but comrade CO Draakon's still going on trial when he's captured.

Swept LE

OPFOR Alpha 2 FTL: Dannysaysno
|- AR: Black Mamba
|- AAR: ???
|- RPG: Fer

Dannysaysno was on the stairs, talking to me. Then he was dead, riddled with bullets by someone standing at the foot of the stairs. Then I was alone. And there was a killer downstairs. Mummy.

Draakon

Post by Draakon »

fer wrote:but comrade CO Draakon's still going on trial when he's captured.
NEVER!
SuperU wrote:
Did I say we went alone, with no infantry support?
Comrade, your implying this was not intentional.
TBH, the limted AO for Opfor allowed this to happen. Had it not been limited, we had been dead meat on the road as soon as we hit it when we moved upwards on the hill.

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Finally processed the footage I had taken during the session.

Clergyman

Nothing much to report here, for me nothing note-worthy happened so no video.

Rolling Bohica Part 2

No moving pictures for this either as a) it lagged a bit for me (as did pt.1) and b) I was SAM assistant with Strang, so no shooty-shooty stuff happened as there were no aircraft in the AO.

CompoundIt

Aha, finally some decent footage. Planning phase took some time so real action starts from around 12:00 'till the end. Fer, you can see first hand of B1's experience during this mission.

Roadside II

I was BLUFOR puppeteer. Got some great footage of killing people also. I came in from the east so some of you might see where you died. I bit the dust on those hills also with the rest of my team. Some were excited about the M8 because it had no drop, but I didn't like it as I couldn't shoot for shit with it.

P.S As usual highlights are in video descriptions in youtube.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Clergyman
Deployed as OPFOR Commander
So yeah, my troops apparently think the enemy can teleport, because I was shot not five minutes into the mission when someone (who shall remain unnamed) saw his buddy die and shot at the nearest dude running around regardless of what uniform I was wearing and oblivious to the fact that the enemy cannot be in the town that you started in without, y'know, entering it first. Good job!
:bang:

On the plus side, I got this footage:

Thus proving something that W:EE'ers amongst us have long recognized: forests are death to armored vehicles.

Rolling Bohica II
Deployed as Alpha 1 FTL
Alpha assaulted right up Green Mountain, crossing the fields while Charlie screened our left and Bravo distracted the enemy to our right. Thankfully, we didn't come under fire as we dashed across a hundred meters of open ground. Once in the forests of Green Mountain, we slowed to a cautious walk, methodically obliterating the enemy as we swept through the woods. Throughout these whole maneuvers, Alpha 1 was consistently on the left flank, and we lit the fuck out of many an enemy camp off to our West.

Then we came under assault just under the crown of the hill, and at least two people started throwing grenades. I cringed with each "frag out" as they lobbed grenades through the thick vegetation and told my team "Stay down, let's hope none of these bounce back to us."

:bang: :bang:

CompoundIt
Who cares
Chopper got shot with an RPG. Died when I bailed as the chopper hit the ground.

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Roadside II
Didn't matter
So, it turns out that mounted troops can't teleport. So I teleported myself and Black Mamba to Charlie's destination, only to find very little cover to speak of, no friendlies in support range, little visibility due to the darkness, and enemies with NVG's, 5.56 weapons, and Vanilla "laser-beam-psychics" AI.

There's a reason that guerilla forces always hole up in urban areas instead of rolling hillsides.

:bang: :bang: (see a pattern here?) :bang: :bang:

Swept SE
Deployed as INDFOR Alpha 3 Rifleman AT
Much has been made of the dudes caught on the open hillside above the town. Little has been made about how dangerous it was for us in the valley. The fact remains, that a sizable force, deployed as one on dominating terrain, becomes one hell of a force multiplier. The key word is underlined. We have a tendency (and I'm as guilty as the next of doing this) of not taking potential casualties into account when we plan. This doesn't harm us much when it comes to good-sized platoons, but when the player count drops below twenty, every gun counts, as proven by the massacre-in-detail of OPFOR's Bravo.

INDFOR's single squad was split up in three disparate sections of the town. Alpha 3 had no ability to support Alpha 1 or 2 by fire, and our numbers pretty quickly dwindled to just Alpha 3, hunkered down in the buildings we'd been assigned at the start. I covered the same doorway for ten minutes while my FTL watched the other. At one point, I shot an RPG at someone's feet, then turned around in the shock to pick up my wounded comrade. Then I slaughtered two people as they tried to come in. Then, I broke one of my cardinal rules.

I picked up an enemy gun. As I flipped off the safety, a third enemy ran right into the doorway. I pulled the trigger - the gun went "BLAT!" and fell silent after one shot. His gun had a lot more bullets in it. We ended up both wounded and writhing on the ground, but the OPFORian's buddy was still shooting at me from afar. In an effort to induce fratricide, I crawled to where the wounded OPFORian was in the line of fire, but sadly a bullet claimed my life before I could cause a very awkward conversation in the other team's locker room.

:dance:

Chernolo x3
INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH DRUGS!
Awww yeah. The cops only won once.

Fuel Utopia
Deployed as Chopper Gunner
I emptied something like four mags into that horrifically confined village. Then Montag sniped me out of the gunner's seat.

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

zitron

Post by zitron »

Aha, finally some decent footage. Planning phase took some time so real action starts from around 12:00 'till the end. Fer, you can see first hand of B1's experience during this mission.
Haha so you were the guys I was trying to harass with the chinook! I was flying over you and dropping flares to let our guys know your position. Also I thought if I flew low enough I might hit one of you.

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Those truly were some low flybys, but it looked cool... even tacticool
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

Mamuto

Post by Mamuto »

Ferrard Carson wrote: On the plus side, I got this footage:

Thus proving something that W:EE'ers amongst us have long recognized: forests are death to armored vehicles.
:clint: ~ Ferrard
Haha, that's me shooting the guy who bailed! Say what you will about having the BMP2 out of infantry cover, they still managed to get 3+ kills and commandeered that hill for 4-5 minutes.