[Sun] 04 September 2010

Post by fer »

Missions
  1. Bedtime
  2. Fort
  3. Kettles
  4. Carte Blanche
  5. Halted
As ever, huge thanks to all guests who came along, it was wonderful to see you uguys. Alas, there was no Lor; but there were fun missions, and we even won a few. My full post will have to come later on, but let's get this thread started anyway!

fer

Re: [Sun] 04 September 2010

Post by fer »

My friends, clearly we have not done enough to please Lor and secure his most majestic visitation. We must redouble our efforts, and perhaps consider a human sacrifice (DM?). Or perhaps we need to create a mission in which we simply chant: Lor is Awesome! Tribute to Lor! And hope that he spontaneously appears on the server. Something. Anyway ...

Bedtime

- Sniper (effective CO): Mort

Soon after the start I was on the western edge of the village, up the hill, listen to mort's excellent running commentary on enemy movements. An army fireteam was creeping up towards me and I managed to drive it off, killing its AR and gaining his RPK! At the mosque down the hill, Tigershark was busy introducing people to the afterlife; so I joined him and Jacob and pretty soon we were down on the main road, exchanging fire with EIs amongst the buildings to our south. It was hairy at times, but Tigershark crossed the street and began flanking them as Jacob hosed the buildings. I had to step away from my PC to take a call, but when I returned, found myself running west, out of the town. Tigershark and Jacob were hunting down (and liquidating) the last enemy stragglers in the meadow. Victory!

Wait, a folk night isn't supposed to start with success! :psyduck:

Fort

- CO: Mort
|-- M: Fer

I was AFK at the begining so I confess have no idea what the plan was, but I know that pretty soon I was sitting in a car with Mort, enjoying a pleasant drive to the local town whilst both our BTR-40s trundled on ahead. Then it seemed like we were going to drive all the way to the fort, but Mort pulled over just before the lake. We walked over to a walk and were promptly shredded by enemy fire. There was quite a lot of wriggling about on the floor, and then I died. Which, as the medic, was probably a bad thing. I think Mort died too. And DM. Oh no!

And then things began to turn around. Our BTR-40s had taken the high position on the east side of the valley, and were even able to send one back to help the wounded survivours at "Death Rock". Tigershark and Housemaster's BTR-40 arrived just in time to tear up some EIs who were danger close (one hand grenade from whom might have ended about 3 players' virtual lives). Meanwhile, Feesh and Headspace were dropping GP-25 rounds on the helpless fort. Not too long afterwards, the fort itself fell.

The mission wasn't going to end because there were still EI in the vicinity: a patrol had gone firm to the south-west, and many of the bunkers were still manned. I popped into channel #1 to relay a message from the locals, and Headspace led the clean-up. After executing at least two machinegunners (one with an RPG round), the remaining members of our revolutionary fighting brigade came up on the enemy patrol. An further RPG round signalled the start of a frontal rush, in which the enemy was eliminated. Unfortunately, Housemaster took a fatal round. We wept. Outstanding work by all, and great to see this mission finally beaten!

:hist101:

Kettles

- TankCMDR: Mort
- CMech: Fer
|-- Mech: Housemaster
|-- Mech: Jacob

Acting on Mort's orders, the mechanics set up a roadblock at the last junction before the border. We even arranged our three trucks in a perfect line across the road. And then, one by one, they exploded.

Mort, not everything on your gunnery radar is hostile! :psyboom:

Luckily, we had two RPGs, so we waited on rooftops whilst listening to Mort and Messiah hunting in the tank to our north. It was pretty tense listening to the tank crew over TeamSpeak, whilst hearing the dull rumble of explosions out of sight, further up the valley. When we heard the magic phrase "The crew's bailing" we began running north towards a plume of black smoke, to help with the mop-up operation. Some running and hunting later, Tigershark popped into our channel to surrender on behalf of the remaining traitor.

:commissar:

Carte Blanche

- DC (effective CO): Headspace

Headspace assigned the two western caches to Tigershark's Alpha, and the 2 eastern ones to Messiah's Bravo. Hopping into our own UAZ, the command element shadowed bravo. Alpha made contact first, and we heard some excited chatter over TeamSpeak, but all seemed fine. However, shortly afterwards the shooting restarted, and we heard Tigershark say he was wounded. Headspace took this as a cue to practice some extreeeeeeeme driving. We bounced, rocked and at times flew. And then this happened:
headspaceExtremeDriving.jpg
headspaceExtremeDriving.jpg (156.92 KiB) Viewed 8857 times
Headspace was actually trapped between the vehicle and the rocks, but after some prolongued wriggling, the wonder of ArmA2 clipping actually worked in our favour! That's me posing by the UAZ, by the way.

Still laughing, we ran towards Alpha's second cache, assured that Tigershark's own men had patched him up. Then bravo was bounced and all hell seemed to break loose. Headspace ordered Alpha to go to Bravo's aide immediately, leaving us with an even longer run down the main east-west road. As we jogged eastward, I noticed an army truck out to our right on the valley floor. Troops were jumping off the back so I opened up with fully automatic fire, whilst Headspace dropped his first GP-25 directly onto the vehicle. It burst into flames, and I was whooping with delight when a survivor shot me. Headspace bought it too.

In death, we watched the combined survivors drive off the attack on Bravo's position, before positioning themselves for an attack on a Shilka position to the north. Something went spectacularly wrong with Housemaster's Metis shot, and the angry Shilka eviscerated Mort and DM. Enraged, Housemaster charged the Shilka with his rifle, and could be heard shouting "You're a very naughty boy" over Direct VON. Tigershark distracted the gunner, and (amazingly) repeated point-blank volleys from Housemaster's rifle caused the crew to bail, but not before they'd put Tigershark into low-earth orbit. They wounded Housemaster, and we called it. Awesome stuff.

Halted

- DC (effective CO): DM

There was some shooting, I picked a fight with the wrong UAZ (on the east side), and then ran away to the west side, where I found a UAZ with dead people. I was all set to leap into it when someone shot me. I wriggled around on the ground, safely shielded by the UAZ itself, and between the wheels I could see DM scampering towards me. Then he performed a sex act on my helpless body, and ran away. As I stood up to remonstrate with him, I was shot in the head.

Meanwhile, down the street, I think Feesh was cleaning up from a rooftop. We failed, but we failed well.

mort

Post by mort »

I had a lot of fun last night - and blowing up my own side's transport was the highlight.

I decided to go for the Stalinist 'Not a step back!' approach to warfare and deny you any vehicular means of retreating from the enemy ;-)

messiah

Post by messiah »

Bedtime

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Unfortunately died pretty fast. We entered a building and I walked near a window, suddenly I saw UAZ pointing and shooting its DSHK in my direction, it was really unexpected for me.

Fort

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Bad luck for my fireteam. AI was shooting very precise through grass and we where all caught offguard. I was the only survivor left. Jacob and Suffix bled out. Fortunately everyone else did the job and killed almost all enemy troops. We completed rest of the mission successfully.

Kettles

Image Image Image Image Image

I was driving tank with Mort. We moved south-east until spotted and engaged enemy armor. We did surprisingly well and won this fight. Then we killed remaining infantry and even managed to catch one RPG.

Carte Blanche

Image Image Image Image Image

I was leading Bravo. We successfully reached our first marked stash. Also we lost Jacob in process due to his network problems. Then we continued to second stash and unfortunately I ran into another enemy patrol :owned: , which spotted me somehow earlier, then I saw them. When Housemaster told me about them, it was too late, I tried to ran back into cover, but got shot.

DM

Post by DM »

Don't have much of an "AAR" to give, but do have some funny video and screenshots. (Writing up AARs is a little too much like day-job work, which makes me :psyboom: )

Fort.

"We" won this, which was a delicious change from the norm. I say "we" because I got shot like 30 seconds into the action, as usual :suicide:

The "Death Rock"

Sneaky AI which, if he had any grenades, would have finished everyone else off. As it was, he just shot the tree. A lot.

Taking out the last patrol. I was expecting the outcome to be the other way round, but it turned out ok in the end! :hist101:
Youtube Linky

Carte Blanche

Was having too much fun with the M60 to really take any pics, but I did get this shot of the poor guy that ran round the corner into my hail of M60 fire

And the piece-de-resitance [sic] Housemaster and Tiger taking on the Shilka with just GLs and Rifles
Youtube Linky :clint:
Last edited by DM on Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fer

Post by fer »

Awesome posts, messiah and DM! Thanks for making time to do those. :v:

LiddleFeesh

[Sun] 04 September 2010

Post by LiddleFeesh »

One of the better nights from my point of view. Not only did I get to watch done hilarious antics from death cam, but in at least two missions I actually got to shoot bags of virtual soldiers :p

The highlight for me was running towards my spotter (I was an RPG carrying member of the insurgency club), tigershark, who was in cover behind some rocks. All the meanwhile, bullets where whizzing through the air, and hitting the ground inches from my virtual feet. It was Mort on the enemy tank's coaxial MG and fortunately for me he missed what must have been 50 rounds plus!

He cleaned us up with a couple of HE shells forthwith, however!

mort

Post by mort »

LiddleFeesh wrote:One of the better nights from my point of view. Not only did I get to watch done hilarious antics from death cam, but in at least two missions I actually got to shoot bags of virtual soldiers :p

The highlight for me was running towards my spotter (I was an RPG carrying member of the insurgency club), tigershark, who was in cover behind some rocks. All the meanwhile, bullets where whizzing through the air, and hitting the ground inches from my virtual feet. It was Mort on the enemy tank's coaxial MG and fortunately for me he missed what must have been 50 rounds plus!
I think the tank's MG is zeroed for a much longer range but I'll get ya next time :-)