[Sun] 17 Feb 2013 (Carson, get down!)

How we died
Tigershark

Re: [Sun] 17 Feb 2013 (Carson, get down!)

Post by Tigershark »

Doofling wrote: I was busy enough with reviving people (I think I helped Tiger up like 3 times :D ) and running to different FTLs and Squads.
Yeah thanks for that. I was up and down like a pair of Fer's pants at the Blue Oyster's Happy Hour.

I would also like to give a shout out to AstuteCat who drove our Hummer in Nur like a professional and with bravery rivaled only by the kind demonstrated by people who like to ride the bus with Draakon.

At one point we stormed ahead with our vehicle, with disregard for our own safety, in order to engage and destroy a squad of EI bearing down on Bravo. Our vehicle got busted up good but we saved lives goddamit. A whole lot of people were able to have their wives not violated by IceRaiser and myself because of our heroic actions. :hist101:

I am typing out the Medal of Honour citation forthwith.
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

My squad somehow refused to follow me, and I died alone in the middle of the field.
To be fair BM, was urging our FTL to hook up with you. And I did hear your final words...something along the lines of "and....I'm gonna die".
I felt sorry for ya man. So I decided not to loot your corpse for mags and pictures of your girlfriend.
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

Zergra

Post by Zergra »

Im sorry halop. Your helo looked so nice I just had to crsh into it.

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Workshop
My screen card drivers died on me, so i didn't really get to play a lot in the workshop. Though practicing with helos was a good thing(tm).

Crash Site
Alpha 1 FTL
Running through forests, generally not being too troubled by anything. Get to run to the crash site and win the mission. Yay.

Shilkas of Nur
Charlie 1 FTL
Oh the horror! Okay, this has te be practically my worst time FTLing ever, including my first, so this requires a little afterthought.
But first, sorry to C1. At least you had Tigershark there to generally save the day as my incompetence kept increasing.

So, first, i was incapable of figuring out what the "hummvee in front" meant, so i tried to mount the two wrong ones before we got to the correct one, causing an incredibly irritating holdup for everybody. :?
So, suddenly i had half of my fireteam in a hummvee and half on foot. That was not something i had done before, and since we were engaged immediately things got incredibly confusing. Directing a hummvee on foot is tricky. Especially when there was no general clear-and-move plan (that i heard, but i was already pretty out of it). Tigershark and Astutecat had that pretty much covered, so i resigned myself to see what would happen.

Unfortunately, the plan as laid out had gone to shit faster expected, and Charlies original plan was pretty far gone. No biggie, that happens, but the confusion just kept coming back. We moved to a point about 800 metres out from all of the nasty stuff that Alpha was to engage from another direction and just stayed there. To make it even more interesting, we decided to start firing in the general direction of the enemy. Not really a good idea.
Then we were engaged from the north, and Tigershark and Astute went on a joyride down to the forest to our north. Then, all of a sudden BlackMamba is in the middle of the open field between us and the enemy position, which seemed to be an excessively bad idea, so i had no intention of heading that way. (What were you doing there on your own? C3 was way back in the forest with Bravo, C2 was shot up and C1 was ineffectivly led. Unless you have a tractor beam to pull us in with it seems like a bad idea to gloriously charge.) So then BlackMamba dies and i'm suddenly SL. Oh great, because i wasn't confused enough already. :oops:
Tiger (who was pretty much already functioning as such) became C1 FTL and i tried to get a clue.

I figured moving into the forests to our north would be a good idea, so that we could be around Bravo, then all of a sudden command wanted us with Alpha, so we started moving towards Alpha, and then a minute later we were asked to go back to where Bravo was. Yay, running!
Not having mikes addon for Teamspeak all of those comms on CC can become very confusing, and when you're attached to a fireteam as well it becomes quite the amount of chatter. (And it never dawned on me that turning down VON ingame might work..... clever brain.) :siiigh:

After that Charlie moved with Bravo, and my brain melted so i ran directly into an enemy position since i thought that was where everybody was located. :hist101:

I'm seriously sorry, that was an awful run for everybody who had to be in C1. (Though you all seemed to get by fine without me functioning....! ;) ) And for that matter Black Mamba, who had to try to gently prod me to do something every now and then.

One thing though. When on CC, oh please oh please oh please be as clear as possible. Don't mention that charlie should do something as an aftersentence when speaking about Bravo, or such. (The same with fireteams on regular TS.) Take a pause between issuing element instructions and shout their names out first. (Or say that this is a message for everybody.) When you're halfway in a sentence about C2 or Alpha Squad i will zone out, so if there is "....and then C1 will do such and such" i might very well miss it. If that is a fault on my part then i'll try to learn, but it seems necessary given the amount of chatter we get. (Or else, fetch me a new brain!)

Now taking bets on whether i've learned anything from this..... :roll:

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Black Mamba wrote: Hamlet Hunt
Some dude with a Mk48
...Is that unlimited respawn until we get to the tractor, Carson?
Actually, it isn't - we're just still not accustomed to seeing as many EI as can fit into a single settlement. About half the buildings there are populated. No clue why that one dude could pull a David Copperfield at will, though.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

lwlooz

Post by lwlooz »

Crash Site
REDFOR - CO

Our mission as a heliborne force was to locate a crashed C-130, extract valuables (which was estimated to take 5min) and then fly back to our base and have a victory party.
I had 3 MI-8 Helicopters(TH1-3 and 2 Infantry Squads (Alpha,Bravo) to complete the mission. Our enemy were our evil twins with the same layout and one would hope fashionable goatees. The terrain this happened on was a heavily wooded and hilly area.
I opted to get my forces on the ground as quickly as possibly in an attempt to not have my landings opposed by any hostile fire. I rather wanted to attack the crash site a bit late than land near it or arrive at the same time as the other team. It turned out we arrived before them. It also turned out that the C130 crash site was occupied by local farmers who did not really care that we had a TvT going on and shot me in the head. Baaah. We won in the end tho. So congratulations to my Squad Leaders and Heli Pilots.

Shilkas of Nur
C3 - FTL

Usually I don't enjoy Coops much as it seems more of a chore to kill one AI after another than a tactical exercise, but this was a hell lot of fun. First I had to fight off random soldiers from stealing our glorious HMMWV, which kept coming in waves. After we got our orders we moved through the entire force at the start location only to be rushed by some crazy enemy soldiers in a technical. They decided to stop 2m in front of me, with the entire rest of the force behind me. How none of that exchange fire hit me is a miracle. Fun.
Then we moved on with me and my AR gunner on foot and the rest of the team inside the death trap... I mean, glorious gun platform. What followed was a confusing 20mins or so of orders and opposing orders which had the common theme of wanting me to send my HMMWV into almost certain HMG and Shilka-fire death. I tried to follow them every time , but always had to quickly order my HMMWV back, because they were getting under heavy fire as soon as we came into the LOS of some death bringing machine. After my driver get killed in one of those maneuvers :( , I decided to ditch the HMMWV, but I think by that point the entire command structure had broken down. I apologize to my Charlier Squad Leaders for not showing up at places in time, but people were shooting at us :P .
What followed was a glorious charge of the remnants of Bravo and Charlie into the eastern side of the last town, which featured people going down multiple times. So thanks to any medics that participated in that assault. I somehow survived until the end when the mission was called.
C3 killed 1 Shilka, 1 Tank and with IceRaiser we had the most Infantry kills. So even in that total confusion it went rather well :D .

Cholo Episode 2
UN - Mike's Team - AAR

I remember mike going: "Stay here, I am going to scout ahead" . And then he exploded. (He might have been shot before,but he certainly exploded)

The Generals
REDFOR - Alsor AAR on someones team.

Me, Daf and Draakon had a race to the trainstation. I won. Sadly the prices was a live grenade shell. Still, I won

Guus

Post by Guus »

I havent played much with FA yet, but i really enjoyed this session. Sadly the first mission which i had played, my VON didnt work, purely because windows thought my external audio card thought it was my microphone, ah well, comms are old fashioned anyway. I didnt play the first mission.

Shilkas of Nur - Delta Force soldier
After way too much time of figuring out why my M249 wouldnt hit a technical while it was moving (I was firing straight at it......) i finally hit the driver. It was amazing, but he was already dead and the car came to a halt. I moved back up on the hill and saw the massacre that one of the shilkas created while firing at a bunch of guys in the trees, it finally exploded after multiple AT shots. But oh no, it isnt over yet, a BRDM! But somehow, they still had AT left, and BAM! Dead. I was so happy for them, that i stood up and danced, only to fall down a mountain for 30 meters where i instantly died. Great mission though. (maybe a little more action for Delta while they are moving to their vantage point?) I have some footage from the shilka chewing the squad up if anyone wants to see.

Cholo Episode 2 Some defending guy with an AK
A truely great mission, i really enjoyed it. One squad was ordered to take the garage, and they did. But being swarmed with 50. cal fire from a helicopter sure dampens the fun. One of the UN guys popped up behind a wall and we kind off stared at each other for a split second. Then is shot him. I stayed in the main building all the time and even though i thought i was safe, i got shot through a window while seeing multiple people move kind of blatantly in the open at the airfield. luckily for me i took out 3 out of the 4 people shooting at me. So I survived as the last one with danny, MR-Link and the hostages, i crawled up the stairs to danny's 'safe' room and one of the hostages patched me up. I went back down only to find out it was the right decision. Danny got swarmed and killed, the hostages were freed. However, i still laid down in the armory, twitchy as hell. So when MR-Link came up the stairs i shot him! Sorry :(. It turned out to be the right decision for me laying there since i shot not one, but two people coming up tha stairs. Sadly i forgot about the existance of ladders and was shot in the back.

The Generals AAR in ferrards squad
I was in Ferrards squad and he is a great leader so i survived for quite a bit, and manouvering up and down was pretty tense. Once we moved up to the train station it was empty, so everyone shouted clear! however, just around the corner there were 3 or four enemy soldiers laying down ready to shoot anyone. But sadly they were all facing the same way and when they all turned around i had set my rifle to burst fire and they were all shot. Pay attention man!

Afterparty: Outpost Bean Some guy with an MP-5
I quickly learned this mission was somewhat famous, and i also learned why, the slaughter.......
However we almost all survived, if not all. We quickly went into cafe du pont and started eating the beans before we died, however we didnt die! We held the hungry bastards off for long enough so i could ditch the makarov and grab an M14 AIM. However i thought it wasnt shiny enough so i dropped it and i ran for an M4gibberish. I survived and found out, there was noone at the back! So we all ran and as i charged mamba charged with me..... and i all saw it happening with my own eyes. There was an enemy laying down behind a wall with an M240 who shot him down with one shot, sorry mamba. However the rest did make it to the boat and we got to see our family's again, hurrai!

Rising Scud (testing)
I was on the defendig side and honestly, the mission is way too unbalanced if bluefor doesnt have twice the manpower opfor has, the terrain advantage is just so big. we buillt some random defences and took positions. We waited, we waited some more, anvilfolk had to pee, and then we waited some more. Only to have anvil return and shoot them all, ah well.

Excuse me for any mistakes in english, im dutch and not very good at hitting the right keys.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

audiox wrote:One thing though. When on CC, oh please oh please oh please be as clear as possible. Don't mention that charlie should do something as an aftersentence when speaking about Bravo, or such. (The same with fireteams on regular TS.) Take a pause between issuing element instructions and shout their names out first. (Or say that this is a message for everybody.) When you're halfway in a sentence about C2 or Alpha Squad i will zone out, so if there is "....and then C1 will do such and such" i might very well miss it
That's a more than fair point. Communication on my part was real bad. In my defense though, it's really hard to provide a squad with precise orders when half of it is two to three hundred meters away doing god knows what, and you keep receiving contradictory status reports (By the way, I never knew C2 was messed up at that point. I was told Humvees were dead, so I said ditch'em then, finally they weren't, but actually they were, or maybe not... When I died, I could see the squad had gone unresponsive, but I had no idea why.)

As to what I was doing in that desert... Well, to be honest, I don't really know, but that's where command wanted us at the time, and there was room for a squad to assault that enemy position to the front, while clearing the left side of Bravo. I must add, that at that point, command actually wanted us in two different places at once, so I tried to make do and push Charlie in that gap.

In restrospect, I also should have explained my vision better right from the start. Seeing that we would be a mobile base of fire, I didn't really need us to maintain a proper squad formation, be it wedge or whatever. I was expecting the squad to just move along, and the FTLs to take care of the microterrain and positionning their humvees in an effective position everytime we'd stop, while the ARs would provide security.
Maybe, Comrades Tiger and Carson, we could do a Workshop on how to use the mobile weapons platforms? Intra-crew/FT comms, Hull-down and turret-down positions, stuff along those lines?

I was having quite a laugh charging all alone and dodging .50 cal rounds, though. Until there were contacts close, and I had to stop to return fire. Bad idea.

Edit:
Guus wrote:Rising Scud (testing)
I was on the defendig side and honestly, the mission is way too unbalanced if bluefor doesnt have twice the manpower opfor has, the terrain advantage is just so big. we buillt some random defences and took positions. We waited, we waited some more, anvilfolk had to pee, and then we waited some more. Only to have anvil return and shoot them all, ah well.
It was. Then again, that mission was not designed to be played 4 against 6, but in the light of the recent player counts we get. And, and that's important, the terrain is randomly chosen. As it happens, it was a terrible terrain for Blufor, but it could've been the other way around. Plus, for testing purposes, we played with a very narrow battlefield. So they didn't have much choice in their avenues of approach. They also get way more toys with higher player counts.

zitron

Post by zitron »

Crash site
Opfor TH2 Pilot

After dropping off bravo, I flew around the C-130 to see what's there. I saw Tiger and SuperU's helos shooting at each other, thinking I was safe. Then Super decided to come after my (defenceless) flying cow instead, with people on TS warning me bandit on my 6! A high-speed-low-manoeuvrability chase through the valleys of Chernarus then ensued, resulting in Super flying into some trees. Victory is mine! :dance:

I believe this is the first recorded air to air victory in the history of FA sessions.

Shilkas of Nur
A1 AT
Fired my AT4 at shilka, killed the ramp. Shilka shoots back but killed another fire team. Fired RPG-18 at T-55, missed completely. The whole town shoots back at me...

Cholo Episode 2
UN BSL
My first mission made for FA. The gang was supposed to be dressed as "rockers", but a glitch in the matrix turned them into IND guerrillas. If you have any suggestions for the mission post them here: http://www.folkarps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=645 I was thinking that I could add some static weapon bags in the truck so the gang can setup their own defences instead of being forced to use the ones already there.

Generals
Bluefor B1 AT
Bodge led us on an epic tactical flanking manoeuvre along the coast. Some climbing of cranes was involved. It worked great, I even managed to kill someone.
Black Mamba wrote: It was. Then again, that mission was not designed to be played 4 against 6, but in the light of the recent player counts we get. And, and that's important, the terrain is randomly chosen. As it happens, it was a terrible terrain for Blufor, but it could've been the other way around. Plus, for testing purposes, we played with a very narrow battlefield. So they didn't have much choice in their avenues of approach. They also get way more toys with higher player counts.
It was actually 4v4, two of us died from mines after Ferrad kept telling us to "Go right more".

SuperU

Post by SuperU »

with people on TS warning me bandit on my 6! A high-speed-low-manoeuvrability chase through the valleys of Chernarus then ensued, resulting in Super flying into some trees. Victory is mine!
This is lies and opfor propaganda!

You will find in the black box my mi-17 in fact had "engine failure" and that physics stopped working!