[Sun] 17 Feb 2013 (Carson, get down!)

How we died
Ferrard Carson

Re: [Sun] 17 Feb 2013 (Carson, get down!)

Post by Ferrard Carson »

zitron wrote:I was thinking that I could add some static weapon bags in the truck so the gang can setup their own defences instead of being forced to use the ones already there.
That would actually be great! The DShKM was good for adding some additional ventilation to prevent Mike's internal organs from overheating, but the field of view ended up being horrible for anti-anything-else. I kept wanting to move it so I could engage northwest instead.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Mamuto

Post by Mamuto »

Crash Site
OPFOR Bravo 2 FTL
Mamuto, Doofling, Mr-Link, Cuddlefish

Having never played this before, I had no idea what to expect. We were dropped off at the south-eastern part of the circle, tasked with defense of a town nearby. We got there, hung around for a bit, watched helicopters flying overhead. Eventually the wreck was marked on the map and we headed off to the north-west. As we got closer, we could hear gunfire being exchanged between the CO element and god knows what. I told my guys to play it safe, stay in cover, move slowly. Then I proceeded to get shot out of nowhere :psyduck: I got patched up but Bravo 2 lost Doofling. We then flanked to the north and west around the wreck, thinking the enemy was already at the crash site. Little did we know, they were to our north. We braced ourselves for the counter-attack but most of bravo did not live through it. I was shot down and crawled under a tree. GP at the ready, I lay in wait for the enemy to cross my line of sight. However, I was promptly executed from the back by Xenu, from Alpha. :argh: Check your fire!

When I died, I thought we had hopelessly lost. I was pleasantly surprised to see most of Alpha well and kicking, and completely slaughtering the remainder of BLUFOR. Reading about the epic air happenings in the AARs was great :clint:

Shilkas of Nur
Bravo 2 FTL
Mamuto, Dannysaysnoo, Cuddlefish, Crocuta

I don't know why I always lead the charge. I need to cut down on that, it's not conducive to my soldier's health. Bravo 2 was the first to crest the first hill, I saw contacts, called it out, started shooting........and was shot down. Smokes were popped, I was healed up, humvees were shot at, cover was taken, and somehow we managed to get through the first firefight unscathed. Only to be told to lead the charge North a few minutes later. Over wide open terrain. Screw it, we ran. Thankfully, a humvee charged ahead of us (Tigershark, was that you guys?) and soaked up most of the incoming fire. We got to some trees, opened fire on the two technicals coming our way. Having secured the copse of trees, we headed off to the west to help out Alpha only to be told to turn around as Charlie was getting hit from the east. We ran our way back, cleared out the enemies. Crocuta put some glorious AT rounds into the Shilka, blowing it up. Suddenly, a BRDM and a M113 showed up (like honestly, wasn't that part of the map secured by Alpha?) right on top of us. Thankfully, AT soldiers were at the ready and took both out. Sadly, we lost Crocuta in the exchange. I led yet another charge north towards the edge of town. As we reached a stonewall in front of some bushes, I was instakilled from who-knows-where. Ah well, good long run.

What could have gone better:
I think communication from command to SL to FTL could have gone better. I had to turn off CC because of all the needless chatter. Important information (like a BRDM 50m out!!) was not conveyed, that could have saved some lives. Other than that, a really fun mission. I think what makes it fun is the increased difficulty. Increased numbers of AI really make you work for gaining ground. All the open terrain sucks, though.

Cholo Episode 2
Ferrard Carson wrote: That would actually be great! The DShKM was good for adding some additional ventilation to prevent Mike's internal organs from overheating, but the field of view ended up being horrible for anti-anything-else. I kept wanting to move it so I could engage northwest instead.

~ Ferrard
I also think defenders need a lot more RPGs. They had, what, 3-4 vehicles on UN side? Overall, it felt a bit unbalanced with a "shooting fish in a barrel" scenario for the attackers. As a defender I did not like that one bit. I called out as many contacts as I could, shot a very many bullets, but finally was killed from the construction building because Bravo failed to hold it. Or report that they've lost it. Ah well. It was worth it for the spectacle that was BLUFOR riddling Ferrard's dead body full of holes.

The Generals

Also having never played this one, didn't know what to expect. Shot some civilians, took the train yard, had the fireteam post a defense. Ran out to get a look around and got pegged by a GP round.. died before I could crawl back. Really unfortunate about our CO disconnecting and resetting the timer.

Fun night guys! I have once again failed at keeping my Fireteam alive for the duration of a mission, but there's always next time. See ya next week!

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Ferrard Carson wrote:
zitron wrote:I was thinking that I could add some static weapon bags in the truck so the gang can setup their own defences instead of being forced to use the ones already there.
That would actually be great! The DShKM was good for adding some additional ventilation to prevent Mike's internal organs from overheating, but the field of view ended up being horrible for anti-anything-else. I kept wanting to move it so I could engage northwest instead.

~ Ferrard
Keep in mind, if you use A2 units (rockers), you can't use them backpacks.

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

So, continuing to try and identify ways I could command better: on Shilkas of Nur, it sounds like it would have been better to keep Bravo and Charlie with Alpha as they attacked the western Shilka, rather than splitting everyone up so much. This would have kept comms simpler and also let them support each other better. (It's just kind of scary to commit the whole force to one route when there's so little available cover and so many enemies! I also wanted to try and keep the pace up as much as possible by covering more ground. Thoughts?)

With regards to keeping comms clearer and having fewer changes of plans: partly this just requires more practice on my part. It's also easier to accomplish the more information I have from my SL's. It's hard to make a definitive and effective plan if I just know that someone's being "attacked from direction X," or whatever. Ideally I want to know how much cover you have, the enemy strength, type, exact location and direction of travel, and any possible fallback, base-of-fire, assault and support routes that you or supporting squads could take. Even leading from near the front, it's hard to get this information if I'm not stood right next to you: SL's are in the best position to collect, filter and pass this information on up the chain.

Anyway, I'd love your thoughts on that and any other feedback/suggestions... I feel like I'm improving but there's still a long way to go!

Halop

Post by Halop »

Dogface wrote:I also wanted to try and keep the pace up as much as possible by covering more ground. Thoughts?)
Talking as Alpha SL here, I would have loved to have Bravo and Charlie at our position when we engaged the first Shilka, as I said I kinda lost track of the position of the other squads when the Shilka engaged us, I opened up the map and was terrified when I saw that we were completely alone out there, Also I thought that position was a good place to continue advancing towards the next objective, maybe towards the mostly dead Delta Force, but it would require the whole platoon. But the terrain was very bad I agree, don't know if the platoon could fit in that narrow treeline we had without blobbing :D

About comms, I know I am horrible at comm discipline and I try to be better at it, it's very difficult to communicate clearly in your non native language, I think before speaking but keep losing the correct words I want to use during messages, but I think i'm getting better over time.

A very important fact to consider if you are FTL when talking to me while i'm SL'ing. I have Mike's TS script installed, so when someone is talking on CC and regular TS at the same time - the CC gets priority and TS gets mostly muted, so I cannot hear most of the stuff the FTL's are saying to me. I think a good thing to do before saying a message is to wait for my confirmation first that i'm listening and then send the message, that will make sure I get it. Nothing more frustrating than hearing on TS something like "Halop, there is a...." and then the message gets muted by CC. Just my 2 cents on this.

Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Crash Site

Unusually I survived this adversarial, it was pretty straight forward, we landed made our way over to the crash site killed everything there, waited until a friendly squad got over only to be wiped out and then gloriously charged the site.

Shilkas of Nur

This one was awesome fun, the main highlight for this mission was watching north for any hostiles near a road after falling back from our first glorious charge. While watching I start thinking to myself - 'Have we got some HMMVs in the area?' I look over my shoulder to the south and watched as a BRDM crests the hill behind us from the direction we had retreated from. I call out the rude intrusion to the fire team who then got a rocket onto it as I take cover behind an all too narrow tree, at which point an M113 also crests the hill from the same location and then got promptly destroyed by another fireteam. Our RPG guy (The Red Sniper) was killed at which point I'm told to go and get his launcher, and load it using the spare rocket in my backpack - this was less than fun trying to wrangle the inventory system to do what I want it to.

Cholo Episode 2

We were holed up in the construction site and started firing on the UN who returned fire, the FTL got wounded so I moved to drag him into cover and just as I get nicely into cover an RPG RPG'd us. :(

Fun as always! :D

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

Halop wrote:
Dogface wrote:A very important fact to consider if you are FTL when talking to me while i'm SL'ing. I have Mike's TS script installed, so when someone is talking on CC and regular TS at the same time - the CC gets priority and TS gets mostly muted, so I cannot hear most of the stuff the FTL's are saying to me. I think a good thing to do before saying a message is to wait for my confirmation first that i'm listening and then send the message, that will make sure I get it. Nothing more frustrating than hearing on TS something like "Halop, there is a...." and then the message gets muted by CC. Just my 2 cents on this.

I guess more comms discipline would be nice. First, try to establish connection: "Bravo lead, this is Bravo 2". If you get a response, then you say what you need to say. If you don't, wait a few seconds and try again (in this case, BSL is likely busy with other communications). And then, reports should be concise, and repeat basic information (like your FT), so, for instance: "Bravo 1 has visual on enemy BRDM, 400m, silent. Permission to fire?". Saying "over" probably helps others understand when you have nothing else to say.

Having a general non-enforceable "format" for messages might also be nice? Contact reports could be "[FT] sees [unit], [direction], [distance], [awareness]". For sitreps maybe "[squad/FT] is [action], [(dis)engaged], [objective status], [cover]"?

Crash site

Shilkas of Nur

Chernolo 2

I have to add that the UN side leadership didn't quite work out. Bravo took infinite time to move, orders were a long time coming, a took a long time to be implemented, and we seemed pretty scattered. We gotta try to tighten it up a little!

Not done with the others just yet! As usual, feedback is welcomed - had some great tips on Skype chat. And also, I'm starting to feel the size of the captions is too large. Anyone agree?

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

The Generals

Awesome plan by BM and execution by Bodge :D

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Fantastic work, Anvil! I really enjoyed watching Shilkas from a grunts-eye perspective, and seeing Chernolo 2 from the other side. The others are great too! I think the thisisfolk YT channel will be an great recruitment tool. You get a medal made from the highest quality tin alloy available to the party.

The captions are fine but yeah, they could probably stand to be a bit smaller -- personally I tend to watch videos like this fullscreen, so readability isn't so much of an issue. Also just a little note, the Shilkas video says the CO got capped at the beginning, but it was the SL, Ferrard. :)

Syn

Post by Syn »

Nice videos! A shame i missed this one. Apparently, i can't have freetrack in the same computer as arma 2, as it crashes it on startup. Bummer.

Anvil, how do you do that gradual zoom in i see in chernolo 2 at around 9.40?