[Sun] 24 Feb 2012 (SuperStrang)

How we died
tryteyker

Re: [Sun] 24 Feb 2012 (SuperStrang)

Post by tryteyker »

Dogface the enemy that popped up right around the corner was infront of me the WHOLE TIME I was on that doorgunner seat. Sadly I had no idea what the enemy looked like at all so it wasn't until then I realized that he was an enemy :(

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

Clergyman
OPFOR A2 RAT
"SHOOT IT! SHOOT IT!"
After some skulking in the woods, we rushed a few outlying buildings, only to find a BMP-3 some 50m on the other side. I sunk both rockets into it, but it didn't explode until hit by A3. We proceeded to charge to the next house in line, and were unceremoniously cut down by close range fire.

Crash Site (limited to 30 mins)
BLUFOR B1(?) AAR
"Textbook chopper assault by OPFOR. Textbook fire&manuever by BLUFOR survivors"
Chopper dropped us into a hail of bullets, and we hightailed it for cover. After some first aid and dragging ourselves to some trees, we proceeded to run headlong towards the C130.
Seeing how I run a 5 year old rig, and have managed to fall off buildings and crash cars due to FPS drop, I must say that this is the first time in, well, ever, that dumping smoke saved my ass instead of getting me (and Head) killed.

Vanguard SE
OPFOR B3 RAT
"Who drew the horse with the giant ***** on the map?""Oh, now it's angry"
After losing our AR in a slightly overeager initial contact, we cleared out the factory with no major incidents. Assaulting the village, however, we were delayed by incoming small arms fire, mortar fire, and reviving all the people hit by said fire. Many glorious charges were made in that assault. Despite losing our AAR, by the time we were done with the T-34, we healed so many people our numbers actually increased. A sign of things to come, apparently, since the advance found us huddled behind a flipped pickup, reenacting M*A*S*H again, with comrade FTL valiantly shouting "Save him firts, he's AT!" Sure enough, we soon spotted a T-55 passing us by, getting rocketed from all sides. I sunk a rocket into it's frontal arc, but before I could get in another one, I was mowed down by flak.
After dodging death for some 3-4 times by then, it seemed like an anticlimax.

Internecine DC
OPFOR Charlie RM
"VALHALLAAAAAA"
After our attempted sneaky assault was discovered, we charged for glory.
Glory found me in the form of a 7.62mm bullet to the noggin.
[/allegedly]

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

Clergyman
ATTACKFOR Bravo 3 FTL

In hindsight, I should've had my AAR keep an eye out to our right to check up on enemies which did end up destroying us! I also should've moved up sooner to get closer to the church. I couldn't see anything, especially while firing. Other than that, tips on FTLing are greatly appreciated!

It was a solid plan, with only 100 years/meters of dash to the church. Perhaps some more smoke on the attack? The implementation just went a little awry!

Crash Site
BLUFOR Alpha ? AAR

For me, there were two things that, together, "ruined" Alpha's initial insertion. First of all, we landed right on top of the enemies. This isn't bad, especially if they're not expecting it because they can't see us behind them. The problem was that we COULD see them, but absolutely noone told "the grunts" that it was an enemy chopper in front. I clearly see TONS of infantry milling around the chopper. Had I known that wasn't Bravo, a grenade might've taken out a few. As it was, I just ran around like an idiot trying to heal my FT. Oh well, I did get AJAX up, who went on to give us some nice footage of getting sniped right in the face :D

Vanguard SE
Charlie 1 AR

Internecine
PROUD VIKING

Last edited by Anvilfolk on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lazerdx

Post by lazerdx »

Anvilfolk wrote:Other than that, tips on FTLing are greatly appreciated!
In my experience FTLing so far, the best advice I can offer is to actually fire your weapon as little as possible. You're going to be much more deadly using binocs to call targets for your team. Talking up the chain of command is also important, new contacts should be reported to the SL as soon as possible (but your guys are your first priority! Make sure they're safe before you go dicking around on comms). You should also be constantly checking around the area for alternative areas of cover to move to that will be both out of the way of friendly units, and safe from enemy contact should the sudden need to disperse arise. The last important thing is to always be looking for places to stick your AR so he has the absolute best field of fire he can possibly have at any given moment, because everyone else will live a lot longer that way!

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

lazerdx wrote:
Anvilfolk wrote:Other than that, tips on FTLing are greatly appreciated!
In my experience FTLing so far, the best advice I can offer is to actually fire your weapon as little as possible. You're going to be much more deadly using binocs to call targets for your team. Talking up the chain of command is also important, new contacts should be reported to the SL as soon as possible (but your guys are your first priority! Make sure they're safe before you go dicking around on comms). You should also be constantly checking around the area for alternative areas of cover to move to that will be both out of the way of friendly units, and safe from enemy contact should the sudden need to disperse arise. The last important thing is to always be looking for places to stick your AR so he has the absolute best field of fire he can possibly have at any given moment, because everyone else will live a lot longer that way!
Excellent tips - thank you! Perhaps I should've been looking around, not have my AAR doing it! It never even crossed my mind to use the binoculars... I need to remember them! Thanks again!

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

The videos for Vanguard SE and Internecine have been posted above. They're still being uploaded/processed by YT but should be up & working within the hour :)

Vanguard was a particularly hard edit since it was such a long, sweeping mission. Any tips on how to edit longer missions are very much welcome! I like to keep a feeling of continuity throughout the video, but in this case that caused the video to be 27m...

Also, I make a motion that any and all rousing speeches be made over TeamSpeak - possibly using CC!

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

More great videos, Anvil. Although, do you know there's about a minute of black screen (except for text) at around 23:00 and 26:00? If so, maybe put a little note in there to acknowledge it, maybe say when the picture picks back up. :)

What I'd love to see more of in Arma 2 videos generally, especially the long ones, is a periodic shot of the map with markers showing who's moving where, any major events - just something to give a clearer picture of what's going on on the battlefield...

But yeah, carry on comrade!

Terminal Boy

Post by Terminal Boy »

I am delighted that The Internecine footage doesn't capture my Alt-Tab ND or my suicide by grenade.

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

Hahaha, Terminal Boy ;)
Dogface wrote:More great videos, Anvil. Although, do you know there's about a minute of black screen (except for text) at around 23:00 and 26:00? If so, maybe put a little note in there to acknowledge it, maybe say when the picture picks back up. :)

What I'd love to see more of in Arma 2 videos generally, especially the long ones, is a periodic shot of the map with markers showing who's moving where, any major events - just something to give a clearer picture of what's going on on the battlefield...

But yeah, carry on comrade!
Yes, Vegas decided to go :v: on me. I'm rendering it for the 3rd time, but each run takes 2h30m... That said, thank you for watching through to the end! I hope you'll watch the end when we finally get it up.

Regarding maps - you are absolutely right! I've tried to start certain scenes with the map and so forth, but your comment makes it clear that it's not enough. I check the map far too fast when in-game because I know what's happening. I'll likely just take a still shot of the map and keep it frozen for a few seconds. Doing drawings of arrows showing who is going where is a little beyond my reach though. I would also like to avoid voiceovers. Perhaps just text showing up like "Bravo" to highlight its location and "Bravo objective" to highlight destination? Suggestions on that?

tryteyker

Post by tryteyker »

Great videos, enjoyed Crash Site in particular :P

About markings on the map though, I wouldn't bother with drawing lines and such, but marking things with "Bravo" etc when editing might be a little hard considering the size of things. However as you're rendering in 1080p you should probably give it a shot next time around and see how it works out.