[Sun] 12 September 2010

Post by fer »

Missions
  1. Carte Blanche
  2. Vintage 01
  3. Vintage 02
  4. Highway LE
  5. Bedtime
Finally, Lor manifested! And a few new faces appeared too (hello Andriy), including some not-so-new faces (hello Redkid!). Thank you to everyone who made it. We had a lower-than-usual playercount tonight, but I'm afraid that's always a risk with the way the session is set-up. I think everyone had a good time, and I hope you'll all return soon. I'll try and write up my own AAR post later in the week, but I thought I'd get this thread started.

messiah

Re: [Sun] 12 September 2010

Post by messiah »

Shame that I missed Vintage missions :(
Had to leave right after first mission.
Made only two screens.

http://armedassault.kiev.ua/folk/2010-0 ... -03-66.jpg
http://armedassault.kiev.ua/folk/2010-0 ... -27-13.jpg

fer

Re: [Sun] 12 September 2010

Post by fer »

Carte Blanche

- Alpha FTL: Fer
|-- Housemaster
|-- Lor
|-- Redkid

We got in a UAZ and drove to the western cache. Actually, that's not true. We drove to the hill overlooking the western cache, and whilst I was bravely directing my fireteam to hide behind a rock, I was killed instantly by someone with a Lee Enfield.

That said, being dead was great. We watched Jeepo slaughter a whole squad in a truck, and then we watched the surviving members of our platoon shoot up the same truck again. My own theory is that Jeepo was traumatised by his act of mass-murder, and let the others shoot up the truck to cover up his earlier mis-deed. Then there was some more driving around, followed by some salvaging of weapons from the final north-eastern cache, then more getting into UAZs and then -

:fry:

- in a move which I think surprised even the spectators, several enemy elements (including 2 vehicles) had crept up on the platoon and launched an attack with RPGs. One of our UAZs exploded, but moments later both enemy vehicles were also ablaze. After that exchange only the Ukrainian contingent remained, but they mounted a further attack on a nearby village. And were massacred.

Vintage 01

|-- mort
|-- Lor

This mission, which I wrote, is really more like an interactive cut-scene; but it's a mistake to think that the friendly AI will win it for you.

Amid the massive assault being mounted by our friends the First International Brigade of Takistan in the name of Fidel Castro, Tigershark led us off into the valley. My fireteam, Alpha, was on the left flank; by the time we made it into the meadows we could see friendlies climbing the slopes ahead, so we joined in the assault. By the time I crested it seemed we had lost Tigershark (CO) and Headspace (MAT1), but my fireteam was intact and Redkid (MMG1) was busy mowing-down EI around the command post.

Taking command, I left Lor and Redkid to act as a base of fire, whilst Mort and I flanked to the left. As we stepped off an RPG round exploded nearby, and I assume this is what killed Redkid. We pushed on, but soon mort too was dead and the only person I could hear was Lor, still putting rounds downrange with an RPK he'd found. After taking out some rearguard stragglers, I approached the command post, ending the mission successfully by executing the gunner in the last bunker.

:hist101:

Vintage 02

|-- mort
|-- Lor

Tigershark pulled us all back with the thoroughly sensible notion of waiting for the enemy to crest first. To our north, the remnants of First International Brigade of Takistan in the name of Fidel Castro were soon engaged by a wave of EI. Huddled behind a rock with Headspace (MAT1) and Redkid (MMG1), we waited and listed to Tigershark as he made for higher ground (and better visibility).

Then we heard vehicles, and I decided it would be a good idea to take my fireteam to the edge for a look. Wrong! No sooner had I stolen a glimpse of two tanks in the valley below, than I was running for my life back to the rocks under withering enemy fire. I apologise to mort and Lor, who I fear I couldn't go back for in my injured state. Housemaster dragged me behind the rock and patched me up before returning to the command post.

By now EI were swarming around us, and I watched as one threw a grenade at me (he missed); pulling back to the commmand post I was once again in need of Housemaster's medical attention, and soon only Redkid remained at the rock. Housemaster climbed to the roof in order to better see the advancing enemy, but was shot dead (I climbed the ladder high enough to peek over the edge and see his lifeless body). Redkid would not answer my calls, so I gave him up for lost and charged the enemy, firing wildly with my battle rifle ...

:suicide:

Highway LE

- Charlie RPG: Fer

Mort's ambush was simple but effective. Occupying prepared positions on the high ground to the west of the convoy route (nearly level with the road to our withdrawl point), we got ready to pour RPG and RPK fire down onto the vehicles. Using the time before the convoy arrived to fine-tune the plan, each element was primed to hit a different vehicle in the enemy formation.

When the convoy arrived our opening salvo of RPGs was certainly effective, instantly disabling the vehicles and their deadly turrets. However, infantry was pouring out of the APCs and soon we were exchanging fire with EI on the road below. We lost mort and several others, but we also slaughtered a lot of EI. As Headspace, Redkid, Tigershark and myself moved gingerly down to the wrecks, we realised we had probably achieved our main objective. This conclusion turned out to be a little premature, because only moments later we engaged and killed 2-3 remaining EIs; but with the stragglers eliminated, a familiar voice informed us that the UAV was reporting no further contacts. Mission accomplished!

When did we get a UAV? I thought we were simple farmers. :psyduck:

Bedtime

- Sniper: Fer

My awesome plan went out of the window in the first few moments, thanks to some unexpected grenade throwing. So instead of walking calmly onto our pre-placed satchels, the army patrol went firm in the south-west corner of the town. Hastily, I attempted to organise an attack from the north, but soon became confused about the positions of friendlies. I caused Tigershark's needless death by ordering Housemaster to detonate his bomb at precisely the wrong moment. Then mort blew himself up with an enemy UAZ, and soon I was alone. I ran down the hill intent on bayoneting every last soldier in revenge for my fallen comrades. Naturally, I was promptly shot in the face. Also, I didn't have a bayonet. And my plan wasn't awesome. It was rubbish! Oh dear.

:siiigh: