[Sun] 19 September 2010

Post by fer »

Missions:
  1. Laser Show
  2. Mail Man
  3. Highway LE
  4. Vintage 02
  5. Daring Raid
Thanks to everyone who made it along; small playercount but big fun. Of course, not only did Lor show up, but in the last mission, Daring Raid, so did Jesus! But more about that in my AAR post, which I'll try and get written in the next day or so.

:v:

messiah

Re: [Sun] 19 September 2010

Post by messiah »

Nothing special to tell from my perspective, but, as usual, some screens: http://arma2.org.ua/folk/2010-09-19/
Last edited by messiah on Sun May 20, 2012 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

fer

Post by fer »

Laser Show

Since there were only four of us to begin with, we tried this short little mission from BIS. As messiah identified, there's no need for a plan: it's a case of getting into the village and killing everything except the goats. So we did just that, splitting into 2-man teams with Tigershark/Housemaster on the left, and messiah and myself on the right. Sadly, the first team got shredded (I think by a UAZ-mounted DShKM), but we still completed the mission.

Also, I shot a goat. Sorry. :oops:

Mail Man (#1)

It was all going great: everyone was in Tigershark's huey, and we were flying along quoting Full Metal Jacket whilst shooting at imaginary VietCong. Then Lor realised he was in the other huey. Which was still sitting on the apron back at base.

:siiigh:

We swung around, picked up Lor, and then Tigershark accidentally flew into a tree. We all died a firey death, but it was hilarious. It was also folk's first ever instance of a bird going down with lots of people onboard.

:fry:

Mail Man (#2)

This time Tigershark waited until we were at the crash site before plunging the huey into the ground, but this time we all survived. Jumping out of the crippled bird, we took up positions around the crashed Herc and began downloading data. With the power of SAWs with optics, Lor's caustic wit, and hundreds of rounds, we held off the bad guys for quite a long time. Sadly, we also lost Headspace and Tigershark in the process, so by the time the data had been downloaded it was just messiah, Lor, Housemaster and me.

I took command and immediately ordered a withdrawl to the house SE of the crash site. Then, when we got there, I spotted a 4x4 back by the Herc and sent brave messiah back to get it (sorry, messiah). We provided covering fire as messiah dodged and weaved his way back to the vehicle, and then again as he drove like a madman towards us. Lor and Housemaster hopped in, and then we realised there wasn't space enough for me. So I sent them on their way to the south, and jogged along after them like a broken down old man (shooting at stragglers on the way). We called the mission, declaring it a success!

:hist101:

Highway LE

Okay, so my plan was this: use the same ambush site mort picked in the previous session, but make it L-shaped by placing an MMG to the south. In all other respects, our approach was almost identical. We shared out the targets between RPG gunners and waited. The convoy turned up and we hit it with several volleys of RPGs, but EI were soon all over the place, returning fire with deadly effect. Soon, many of us were dead, and Tigershark and messiah were left in a desperate last stand. The EI actually mounted a full flanking maneuver, and were rewarded by ending the mission when they shot Tigershark in the back.

Side note: for years many of us have complained about armour and IFVs being useless in ArmA, but I have to say those BTR-70s are actually pretty good WRT survivability of the troops being transported.

Vintage 02

I'm sorry folks, this mission is broken. The enemy never really advanced on our position en masse, so I went forward to see what was going on. After recommending to Feesh that he lead a brave charge, I went back to help the injured Housemaster (a man who was in no doubt about who owned the roof of the CP: "My roof! My roof!"). As I was about to tend to his wounds, my head was blown off.

:suicide:

Daring Raid

Another L-shaped ambush, another death for me. But at least it had comedy value: messiah, my medic, kept telling me there was an EI running around our position on the hill (literally within 10m of us). I couldn't find him for toffee and continued shooting at the checkpoint in the valley below. Then this EI ran right in front of me, almost touching me. So, of course, I drilled him full of holes. And then his friends on the valley floor reciprocated.

From the afterlife I watched, and was impressed by, the survivors' efforts to complete the mission. Especially cool was the final assault, which saw some pretty daring stuff from Headspace, Feesh and messiah - particularly when you consider that they opted to kill a lot of the EI in the final objective area before going after the parked armour.

:hist101:

mort

Post by mort »

Sounds like a good session sorry I missed it :-)