Missions:
  1. Laser Show
  2. Vintage 01 #1
  3. Vintage 01 #2
  4. Vintage 02
  5. Cacheola (co-op) #1
  6. Cacheola (co-op) #2
  7. Bedtime
Thank you to everyone who made it along. Small playercount, I realise, but lots of fun nonetheless. I'll start some separate threads to discuss the issue of playercounts and session times. My AAR post to follow soon ...

fer

Re: [Sun] 26 September 2010

Post by fer »

Laser Show

As there were only four of us at the session start, we warmed-up with a bit of Laser Show. Picking only silenced weapons, Tigershark and mort took the left-hand approach, with Redkid and myself on the right. We smashed through the enemy quickly, taking fairly minimal return fire (although one EI was dropping GP-25s on the house Redkid and I were using for cover); only mort was lost towards the very end, and the rest of us extracted in the Blackhawk. It's amazing what NVGs, Lasers and silencers will do for your effectiveness against poorly equipped opposition!

:hist101:

Vintage 01(attempt #1)

Despite standing behind a rock to watch the first assault wave go in, within 30 seconds three of us had been hit (two fatally). Housemaster patched me up and the survivors made a break for the village, to the rallying cry of "For Collective Farms!". Sadly, by the time we reached the far side of the valley, only Tigershark and I remained alive. As I searched for a better rifle amongst the enemy's dead, I heard Tigershark cry out; then nothing. Enraged, I crested the hill hoping to wipe out the enemy with my bolt-action rifle. Naturally, they shot me in the face pretty much instantly!

:suicide:

Vintage 01 (attempt #2)

We tried again, and this time most of us made it to the village. However, once again it was only Tigershark and myself that made it to the hills above the enemy CP. This time we flanked right, but ran straight into some surviving EIs. There was lots of frantic shooting (we had FN FALs this time), but we won out; however, Tigershark was wounded so I gave him first aid and told him he could kiss his own sheep himself when he got back alive.

Moving to a position just south of the enemy CP, we began trading fire with EIs by the parked trucks. I took some bad hits and now it was time for Tigershark to patch me up. He stopped me dying, but I was immobile. Redkid, who'd been AFK but in-mission, re-appeared to help us. Tigershark mounted a final flanking attempt with me supposedly providing cover. Alas, it was too little, too late, and we were all cut down. We are totally getting worse at this!

:colbert: :colbert:

Vintage 02

This was going to be simple: the MAT and MMG teams would share the CP roof with Housemaster ("My roof! My roof!"), whilst the rest of us (all four) would man a line between the big rock and the low walls near our starting positions. It started to plan, as EIs crested and I could hear Lor merrily mowing them down with his MMG. Then an enemy tank crested, our MAT gunner fell off the roof before firing his weapon (DM!), pretty much everyone was ripped apart by enemy fire, and suddenly I was watching Housemaster hiding in a building whilst every EI and his dog converged upon the CP. Let's just say that when Housemaster ran out to confront them, it didn't end so well for him.

:colbert: :colbert: :colbert:

Cacheola (co-op) (attempt #1)

Taking two of the up-armoured HMMWVs (Alpha in the first, Bravo in the second), I had carefully placed some markers indicating convoy RV points along the route to the city. However, I got too engrossed in reading the map, so poor Housemaster drove clean through all of them and right into the target area before we noticed. Stopping our vehicles and piling out like the Keystone Cops, we grabbed some satchels from the HMMWVs and formed up on both sides of a street to begin a sweep southwards.

At the first intersection all looked clear, so we began crossing carefully, with Alpha going first as Bravo covered. Moments after I had crossed contacts were called to our east. My orders had been not to engage unless necessary, but crucially I had not said we had to wait for the other side to fire first (just that you had to feel threatened). It's sometimes a tough judgement call, but once someone opens up the main thing is to pour fire onto the contacts. This we did, but alas at some cost. As Tigershark dived for cover through an opening in the wall he was shot and injured. Going to his aid, I was killed. What we couldn't have known was that in addition to the EIs just down the road, a handful of others were barely metres away from us, on the other side of a compound wall. Headspace took command and the survivors won the firefight.

From the strange afterlife of the spectator script I enjoyed watching the rest of the team stalk its way through the city, with periods of tense silence punctuated by nervous firefights with sudden enemies. After locating and destroying the first cache the players gracefully agreed to call it so we could have another go.

Cacheola (co-op) (attempt #2)

This time around we only had 5 people, and Tigershark was in command. Loading everyone into a single HMMWV we headed off for The Villa (which is to the north-east of the target district). Almost as soon as we had dismounted and begun walking towards the first possible cache location, we ran into and engaged a foot patrol on the road ahead. A few of us were wounded, but nobody fatally, and soon we were pushing on - DM and myself covering a seemingly vast swathe of open ground whilst the others covered our movement.

The first possible cache site was empty, but we were soon shooting at EIs nearby, with Tigershark and DM attempting to demonstrate their skills with the M203 and handgrenades respectively. Peeking round the corner DM narrowly won a quick-shooting competition with 3 EIs, but was badly wounded in the process. I dragged him to safety, but our medic, mort, was having difficulty reviving him. Must have been a bug, but I was able to heal him with first aid. Housemaster was also wounded, so we waited a few minutes for everyone to get patched up before striking out west.

At the next intersection we again engaged the enemy, but it was actually as we were leaving - thinking that the threat had been dealt with - that a single EI re-appeared to take out DM on our tail. I turned around to see the man coming around the corner and emptied 30-40 rounds from my SAW straight past his head; but not into him, and he shot me for my trouble. Someone dropped him and came to my aid, and then we were on the move again. A little later we found our first cache, and Tigershark set a satchel. As we moved to safer positions to the east, Tigershark detonated the explosives - only for an EI to leap from the undergrowth and wound Tigershark. As Housemaster engaged further targets I patched Tigershark up, and we decided to call the mission.

Bedtime

There was lots of shooting, and I even saw someone successfully blow up the enemy UAZ with a satchel charge. However, I was very dead for most of it!

:v: