[Fri] 05 Apr 2013 [V+] (We let Draith fly)

How we died
Cam

[Fri] 05 Apr 2013 [V+] (We let Draith fly)

Post by Cam »

A slightly lower player-count than last time, at around 16 comrades, but a good session nonetheless, despite my shortfallings in scripting and Draith's (once again) horrible piloting.

Missions:
  • Spring Cleaning v2 (Podagorsk)
  • Random Engagements v1 (Celle 2)
  • Kovrov Clearance v2 (Podagorsk)
  • HOSTages v1 (Cindercity)
  • The Radio Stars v1 (Sahrani)
  • Kovrov Clearance v2 (Podagorsk)
Feel free to post your AARs below and, if you can, include a few suggestions for future sessions.

Cam

tryteyker

Re: [Fri] 06 Apr 2013 [V+] (We let Draith fly)

Post by tryteyker »

Spring Cleaning

CO

What a horrible misssion really.

I went down from my usual 45-50 FPS to 15 FPS, and shortly I was going to see the reason for that. So I kinda forgot ACREs 343 are shit at long range, and I stay back a couple 100 metres. This results in the other players not hearing me at all (and my orders), but we all get slaughtered anyway. As I move up to Alpha 1s position (finally), I still have horrible FPS. I tried to help Head up but got shot in the process. Sooo, let's guess why the FPS went down horribly. Map? No. Complex city? No.
Cam had an AI Spawn system in place that promptly spawned 50 idle enemies on a watertower and 10 idle enemies in every house of the city. Needless to say that's not working..

Radom Engagements

CO Medic

oh god this mission is so awesomeeeeeee.

Rawrnix, as our CO, decided we should defend THE IRISH PUB™ down the street. Everybody kinda spreads out and watches, whilst I tested ST ACRE. That wasn't working for me, apparently, but at the end I was just being stupid and kinda found out it's real use. So after some waiting time and Anvil just rushing around a table for no apparent reason we got first contact at a house. Shot him to death. So far so good. About 3 minutes idle time after this.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT GP FIRE GET OUT OF HERE THE BUILDINGS GONNA COLLAPSE!!!!

We got engaged from 2 directions now and everybody understood we were in THE IRISH PUB™ and got a drink. So they rained down GP fire and bullets. One hit me, but Anvil was there to save me (after much screaming). Meanwhile I just saw bullets hitting our building left and right. Then we were doomed. The buildings gone over to this crispy texture which it has right before it collapses. More screaming. I get fixed up and run the hell away from the building, caring about nobody. Time for some Guerilla Warfare. I move around towards the first house we had reported contacts in, and promptly shoot a guy in the window. I dunno if I hit him because I forgot that I had full auto on...
After that incident I move back to the Pub's yard and see two BLUFOR dudes shooting at it. Bye BLUFOR dudes. It kinda goes around like that until, apparently, BLUFOR is down to 3. I see BLUFOR coming around a corner and suppress them immediately, but the MG they had fired back almost instantly... RUUUUUN.
Running back, I run straight into Draith. He was on my team. My brain had to act quickly here. I just saw a helmet and green camo. Must be BLUFOR. 1 quick press on the trigger, Draith's down. That's when I see the wounded message. I'M SORRY :(
There was a BLUFOR dude right next to him, and this was my last stand. He was prone, I had to go crouch because of no visibility. My aim was shitty, even though I was healed up. Took potshots at the guy, but eventually he wounded me. GG.

Kovrov Clearance

MMG Gunner

CAM, TAKING COMMAND.

The plan was to stick with Alpha 3 and clear a cache, but we got ordered to go to Alpha 1 and provide firesupport instead. I suck at distances and spotting so Cam's "500m out 100 degrees" did not help as I watched the ridgeline, but they were at the trees really. I spray down some fire, but Cam just tells me "you suck at shooting you didn't hit anybody!". After some time though he directs my fire and I finally hit something. Idle time, yay.
Later on we move to Alpha 2's position and lay down some fire on a UAZ and a bunker. Here we notice to things: The PKM is shit. I FORGOT TO ZERO IN. After much back and forth I zeroed in and try to hit the bunker but the PKM rounds just go everywhere even while prone. Apparently I still hit stuff though. More idle time, but not for long.
Cam got hit after like 2 minutes idle time, and we both crawled back into a tree. Not knowing where that came from I scout my surroundings. Nothing there. By the time I'm done saying that Kale comes along and fixes Cam up. After that's done, I get hit while they both pull back. Screaming on the radio I crawl back to another tree, just to notice the enemy is right at the tree I got shot at, about 50m out. More screaming over the radio. We both got fixed up 2-3 times before we all got slaughtered and the mission got called.

All in all it was a very fun session, and I enjoyed the Random Encounter one the most. The others, not so much. Last one had more comedic value than real ArmA stuff happening :P

Crocuta

Post by Crocuta »

I started with minor ACRE problems. I couldn't transmit over the radio, but it turns out that to 'fix' it I needed to switch the hotkey input type to default and then back to direct again in TS.

Spring Cleaning: Alpha 1 AT. Was that really friendly fire, or just sporadic fire from the spawning hordes? I was wondering why my new PC was struggling. :o

Kovrov Clearance: Alpha 1 AAR. This was another mission where I was the last of my fireteam to die, with no clear way to victory.

Random Engagements: BluFor Alpha 1 FTL. If there's anything I could do better as an FTL then I'm cool with feedback. I teleported our team to near the staging marker while a few of us were mid-conversation with command (sorry :siiigh: ). We made our way into the trees South-West of the village and hit a wall. Taking fire from buildings down the street, there was no great position to get fire onto the enemy, so I attempted to get us onto the Northern side of the road, and flank. Zergra covered as daf and I ran across (in hindsight, I should have put some smokes down on the street.) We ended up penned inside a fence that was too high to step over, so we had to get back to the street again. By this point kalelovil and Zergra were both KIA. We flanked around, daf caught a few with their pants down, before we got tryteyker'd to death. I couldn't even see the targeting pip.

HOSTages: IndFor Alpha AAR. There's not much to say apart from firing at the little birds on the roof, and then at the open door across the walkway.

The Radio Stars: MC Porky, CIV hostage. Zergra took the role of being my guard and put me in one of the rooms with the three glass windows in the factory. "Hey, Zergra, BluFor behind you!" He turns around. :v: I should have saved that one for later. He made me go prone, and when the fighting began, he was flitting between checking up on me and his teammates in the hall. Every time he left the room I stood up to get a view of the compound. I saw Cam on BluFor moving around the closest hanger, and I'm sure he saw me too, but there was nothing I could do. When Zergra died I slowly walked out of the room, and the medic shot me in the leg. Black Mamba came to heal me, and then I caught a glimpse of SuperU climbing the staircase all the way to the top without looking. I crawled back into my hostage den, Black Mamba died, and soon after the mission ended.

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Fun sesh, but I can't help but feel we should maybe start it at 7.30 and spend half-an-hour or so going over the use of radios (especially the 148s) and in general how to handle tactics and such when using ACRE. As well as improving communications this would mean less frustration in-mission!

Anyway:

Spring Cleaning v2 (Podagorsk)

We ran to a slope and started shooting at dudes, but at this point FPS-problems devoured my ability to aim and then the dudes shot us all. :P

Kovrov Clearance v2 (Podagorsk) - A1 AR

We spent most of the time posted on a hilltop covering the advance of the real soldiers, but it meant we got to shoot at a lot of far-away dudes. This included some ninjas who disappeared into some trees, then crossed a field and disappeared into some other trees; an indestructible machinegunner who survived his bunker blowing up, several technicals, and a host of dudes hiding behind vegetation. Eventually, the casualties mounted and overwhelmed us!

Random Engagements v1 (Celle 2) - BLUFOR (attack) leader

This was a lot of fun, even if things started getting a bit ridiculous. :P We were tasked to clear out a few defenders from the little village of Celle. Making tactical use of hedges, we attacked from the south, splitting into two teams and converging on the tail-end of the village in a pincer movement. Once we arrived, it became clear the enemy were holed up in a pub in the center of town, as they started firing on A2, who were approaching from the south. I told A2 to fix them in place with suppressing fire, and A1 to flank around from the west, while me and Black Mamba (my medic) observed and took pot-shots at the building from a compound across the road. Unfortunately, A2 started taking casualties, while A1 headed off in the wrong direction, so in the end me and Mamba had a go at clearing out the rascals ourselves - but got shot instead. The mission finished with several instances of friendly fire on OPFOR's part, and as a result we were awarded the moral victory!

HOSTages v1 (Cindercity) - Grand Hostagemaster

We had to defend Zergra's maidenhood against the helicopter-mounted barbarians of BLUFOR. This was hindered by him running around uncooperatively and occasionally disappearing into the floor, but helped by BLUFOR landing on the roof in easy bullet and grenade range. They pulled themselves together for an assault during which Cam(?) was hurt (*cough*notbyme*cough*) but in the end, we won out. :P

At this stage, I had to go for RL! I still really like this concept, it would be great if we could pull in a few more folks and sort out these teething issues with communication and general conduct of the missions. See you guys at the next one!

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

I was late to the session and I don't think I stayed 'till the last, but I had good fun in the mission where we had to defend the pub. That is, until a friendly SHOT ME IN THE FACE. :commissar:

True story:

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Haha! That's hilarious. :D I was the one flinging GPs from the compound across the street, and me, Mamba and A2 were shooting bullets. I can see why A1 had a hard time moving out since you had the right side of the compound well covered at first, but if I'd known how shaken up you were by the suppression I would have made the whole team storm the place at that point.

Crocuta

Post by Crocuta »

I saw you guys on the second floor and also put some GPs onto it. :P
Dogface wrote:I told A2 to fix them in place with suppressing fire, and A1 to flank around from the west, while me and Black Mamba (my medic) observed and took pot-shots at the building from a compound across the road. Unfortunately, A2 started taking casualties, while A1 headed off in the wrong direction[...]
I'm inexperienced with ACRE and team leading, so I was probably being dense/slightly overwhelmed, but we did engage from the West. What did I miss?

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Heh, well, I don't mean to rag on you. :) But once I said to assault the building, you seemed to go up to the northwest corner of the village and loop around, taking a pretty long time to move and arrive (at least, going by the ST marker), whereas my intention was to literally storm the place straight away while CO and A2 suppressed them. No harm done in the end!

tryteyker

Post by tryteyker »

oh my godddd nooooooo, it was really Draith and me exchanging fire at the end there? NOOO! I was 100% that was BLUFOR :(
Next time we play this I'm definitely gonna be a rogue element or something though.