[Sun] 07 Apr 2013 (Glorious)

How we died
Skabooga

Re: [Sun] 07 Apr 2013 (Glorious)

Post by Skabooga »

This was a fantastic session, my thanks to all the hosts (and not just for this session, but all the sessions you continually and so ably host) for organizing it and encouraging new people to step into command positions.

Bend - A1 AR

Our FTL Crocuta teleported so quickly and smoothly that I didn't even realize it had happened, and so was freaking out that we had missed our window in which to do it. It's reasons like this why the Quartermaster issues us maps to check our position against, but I was a bit too dull to check mine. Anyhow, we played hop across the ridge for much of the match, alternately spraying fire on the convoy from the south side and retreating to the north side when we came under fire. I had a jolly good time firing at distant enemies on the road, although I question how effective I was at trying to shoot out the tires on an armed vehicle from 500 meters away. As the call for retreat sounded, we also heard tell of an incoming APC. I was so on the lookout for that danger that I completely overlooked the stationary human silhouette on my right, assuming he was in my fireteam. Right up until people started yelling about a Russian on our right, at which point I slowly turned back towards him, and he shot me between the eyes.

Roadside - BRDM1 Gunner, with Audiox as driver

We started up at the very rear of the column, and checking the plan, we were supposed to be at the spearhead of the push south down the road with Alpha. As we were midway there, reports started coming in about multiple Alpha deaths. I guess we should have traveled there a bit faster :oops: . We arrived in time to trundle over Alpha's dead bodies. I saw a friendly squad on the west hill and asked Audiox to move us into a position from which we could support them. Then they fired a rocket at us, and I realized it was an enemy squad (yeah, I have a problem identifying friend from foe - I swear the map was reading a friendly squad marker at that hill!), so I lit them up with the BRDM1's gun. After so many sessions of getting one-shotted by oh so many clever AI, I must admit, it felt really good to just mow down 10 of them with complete impunity. A real power trip.

After that, orders came in for us to advance on a DSHKM/static machinegun emplacement which was holding back the advance. We sped off over hill and dale, and then slowed to crawl as we came over the last crest separating us from our target. I was fully expecting us to be blow away, but as luck would have it, the DSHKM was facing 90 degrees away from us as we crested, and two rounds from my PKT gun later, the gunner was dead and DSHKM was inoperative. I started bragging to Audiox about how awesome we were, killing dudes and solving problems, and just generally being badasses (encased in several inches of metal plating). I wanted to stay put and take out some more squads of enemies, I was so high on adrenaline.

Then we got hit by a rocket while I was scanning for targets, disabling our mobility, and I realized the error of my ways. Audiox abandoned ship, but I wanted to get a few final shots in before leaving, so I tried to pinpoint where the rocket had come from. Then the BRDM exploded and caught fire, and I realized the error of my ways all over again. Audiox had been shot shortly after turning out, but I was left incapacitated but alive in a burning vehicle. I radioed command for help, but was realistic about the value of a wounded BRDM gunner without a working BRDM in the middle of enemy territory in an exposed position. I sung a few songs over direct comms to myself and the enemy as the remaining fuel slowly burned down.

Crash site - Opfor TH3 helicopter pilot, with Dabbo as doorgunner

My premiere flying experience! I was all set to have a regular position, especially after taking a fancy toy in the last mission, but nobody seemed to be forthcoming during the slotting after we were asked to fill up the helo slots multiple times, so I thought I'd jump in to move the process along.

I was flying our fearless CO, Iceraiser, and a couple of other VIPs around the attack zone while Alpha and Bravo landed at the edge of the zone. We soon spotted the crash site and reported it in to the ground troops, and then we came across Blufor which were landing and disembarking troops. I flew in closer to try and give Dabbo a line of fire on them, and so began some 10 minutes of helicopter combat, with 2-3 helicopters at any one time zooming around each other, trying to get each other on our gunner's side. I called out the locations of the enemy, and Dabbo would light them up when my evasive maneuvers allowed for it. It was great fun, trying to line up broadsides on the enemy while avoiding the fire of a second one on the left, or pulling up from a escape dive moments before hitting the ground.

Iceraiser, rightly fearing for life and lunch, ordered a landing so he and the medic could rendezvous with Bravo squad. I spotted a nice field to let him down in, but botched the maneuver at the last moment by backing into a wall that I didn't even realize was there. Everyone was safe, but the helicopter was disabled, so Dabbo and I headed out on foot, ready to take on the enemy from the ground.

By the time we reached the action, it was already over, and the rest of Opfor was already half a kilometer to the east of us heading towards a landing zone for extraction. Dabbo and I changed direction and tried to catch up. At one point, Dabbo joked that it was going to be like that helicopter extraction scene in Platoon. We laughed. Then we arrived at the Landing Zone just as our extraction helicopter was taking off, leaving us behind. We laughed some more. Then we saw M0ntag's helicopter, spinning ever more wildly out of control because of the loss of its tail rotor, crash into the nearby forest. Laughing, we ran to the crash site to see if M0ntag could be saved. Of course, it was too late for him, and the mission end found us standing by a burning chopper, chortling to ourselves.

BlackFolkDown (limited objectives) - Bravo SL

I had a bunch of crack fireteams with me this mission, and they acquitted themselves honorably. Tigershark landed us on the northeast side of the map, and with Alpha providing us with a base of fire, we advanced on the villa. I was experiencing terrible lag, so I laid down some initial markers at the barracks compound for the fireteams, told them to move, and then jogged to catch up with them. Well, I'll be damned if they hadn't already cleared the entire compound, villa, and arrested the warlord by the time I got there. Tigershark came back for us, and we took the warlord to our state-of-the-art holding cell back at base, which consisted of a sandy floor and zero walls.

We flew back to the action, and landed in Zargabad proper, and cleared buildings as we headed west towards the mosque. We secured the perimeter while Charlie dashed inside and arrested our targets, and then we all extracted back towards base. Things went super-smooth for Bravo squad. Well, as far as I could tell with my lag and being far behind the rest of my squad.

Finale XL - Charlie FTL

We were positioned at a small waist-high wall just west of and closest of any fireteam to the main road the tanks would be coming up. We set up camp and fired with everyone else as tank after tank trundled over the bridge. Of course, our AT was the star of the show, but the rest of us popped our heads up to at least give the attackers a variety of soldiers to massacre. I think we eventually drew the ire of the third or second to last tank to come up, and it shot us down, one after the other, as we peaked out of cover to see if it had moved yet. Well, our AT was out of rockets by that time anyhow, so no great loss.

And watching Bandzai's video clip of Juliet team's demise: holy crap! That was straight murder in the first degree. :psyduck: But I think I can safely say that we've all been there at one time or another.

Cholo (afterparty) - Indiefor ganger

We had orders to fire on the station from the southeast to draw the coppers' attention while Alpha advanced sneakily from the northwest. Well, I fired at the station, and the station fired back. I drifted off to PCP dreams.

head

Post by head »

Skabooga wrote:text

Juliet was Host Team. (they deserved it)

Mr-Link

Post by Mr-Link »

Bend
Charlie 2 AAR

Not much to say here, we crested over the hill and opened fire. Received lots of returned fire. Got shot in the head while trying to loot an (empty) RPG from our downed AT gunner. The good thing was that I got to spectate as everyone watched my teammate Pickers go on his holy crusade to empty his magazine on a near invulnerable BTR-60, all the while ignoring an innocent and much more bullet-friendly enemy AI walking close by.

Roadside
Charlie 2 FTL

Should have called this the silent FT instead of charlie 2! Nobody in my fire team barely said a peep during the entire mission. Steven did talk a few times but I could hardly hear him. Not that I am complaining, mind you. The comrades preformed very well, they followed my orders promptly, and could shoot much better than I did. The mission went well, we followed the commands of our glorious SL Dogface. Move, stop, shoot rinse and repeat. The only problem we encountered was when we received fire form a town on our western side. We shot back, but we were getting a lot more fire than we were sending, and we were pretty exposed. As a result two of my guys were injured. I poped smoke and started to heal them, but I knew we were doomed if we didn't move. Thankfully, a friendly chopper appeared right above that town and started taking care of our attackers. That also had the added bonus of getting all the AIs to shoot at the chopper instead of us, so thanks for your glorious selflessness whoever was in that helicopter :mrgreen:

For the rest of the mission we were assigned as truck delivery boys. We gathered all the trucks that we came with, and drove them to meet up with all the other trucks that were recovered. There were so many trucks, it was like the truck convention of Takistan that day. What exactly did we lose in that convoy? Anyways, we collected our trucks, we were told to wait, and just then the mission ended.

Success.

BlackFolkDown (limited objectives)
Alpha 3 AAR

Under the command of comrade Anvilfolk. He did a great job as usual. The first part of the mission was uneventful. We established BOF for Bravo to assault the Villa, which they did. Then, after a quick extraction, we moved into the town proper. It was pretty tense. I walked into one of those buildings that are open from both sides, and came across what I thought was a civilian standing in the middle of the road. Keeping the briefing and the ROE in mind, I ignored him looked for other targets while moving closer to him. Upon seeing me however, that "civilian" dropped to the floor and pulled a freaking uzi on me!!!! the nerve !! I saw him just in time and we exchanged a few hilariously missed shots at point blank range :siiigh: or maybe I injured him, that's why he couldn't shoot straight. Anyways, he started to reload and I calmed down and emptyed half my magazine on him. I reported to my FT with an outraged voice that some guy pulled a gun on me! and they looked at me like this was my first day playing ArmA ever.

Later we occupied the roof of a building near the mosque to provide over watch for other teams. We opened fire on some AI team and started receiving heavy return fire. Our FTL ordered us to evacuate the roof, and during the ensuing chaos our AT guy Crocuta died under mysterious circumstances. No really, his death can only be described as a freak accident. My interpretation of what happened, it seems that as we were cramming the roof door trying to go down, a bullet hits some part of the roof, ricochet sideways, misses me somehow (I was right behind Crocuta) and hits him in the back of his head. He went straight down like a sack of potatoes. We just stood there for a while wondering what the F just happened. After that shocker we extracted safely and the mission ended in success.

Finale XL
Delta AAR

Never played this one before. Some people were cracking jokes about waiting for the Canadians to come and rescue them. Hah, well the joke is on them! This particular Canadian was just going to stand gloriously in the middle of the road and do nothing! Actually it was our FTL Tink's idea so blame him :P

But it was glorious indeed. We just stood there in one line in the middle of the road during all the explosions and nobody shot at us at all. Comrade Zitron played some music for us to drown up all the other fire teams' cries for hel......err...I mean to inspire us to be ever more brave in the face of adversary. Well, you could say that the plan worked. No one ever dared to face our line of glory head on. Even the tank that finally got us, had to flank as from the side. I bet the driver was still shocked by our display of courage as he drove over those mines later on. Yup, that last tank was Delta's kill by means of mind control :psyduck:

As always, it was a joy, and a great session.

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

Oh, yeah, I forgot about Crocuta's freak death!

We were on the top of a building, and we had them TOTALLY pinned down, about 400m away or so. I was GPing them, everybody else was firing... I wanted my FT to get some kills this mission, and these were really the only targets we found except for the sneaky civilian Mr. Link mentioned. But we were lagging a little behind, so I ordered everyone out of the rooftop. I don't think we were under fire, because I couldn't hear any of the bullets whizzing by... and then all of a sudden Crocuta drops dead. I think it was the Arma assassin stairs that are so often encountered. That really pissed me off... the mission had been going pretty well, and I was really looking forward to not losing anyone :(

Stairs... harrumpf. And of course, not only did they take Crocuta's life, they took away his ability to chat! After that he was permanently sending garbled text messages. It was really weird!

Crocuta

Post by Crocuta »

I didn't suspect it was the stairs because I heard a massive boom and then died. Thought we'd been RPG'd or that you'd accidentally GP'd me at point blank. :D
Black Mamba wrote:Keep in mind that the mission was initially designed to be played at night, albeit without nightvision (except for Delta and pilots). This got somehow lost in the way (mostly because of people not liking no-NVGs mission that much, I guess).
I've had a blast playing it twice without NVG, but I guess if people don't like that then there's a choice.

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Anvilfolk wrote: - Please, please, please don't use a regular letter as your PTT button. It keeps interrupting and it was pretty obvious that it was distracting planning and the CO...
There is an easy fix to this. Bind AltGR+something to "mute microphone". If you're writing you're obviously not talking, so you can mute yourself. Problem solved. (Except when you, as me, forget that you've muted yourself and start laying out your plan to noone in particular...! :D )

But yeah, it's getting quite rowdy during slotting some times.

Tink

Post by Tink »

Bend
Alpha 2 AAR
I watched as an enemy APC withstood a barrage of RPG fire but just seemed to keep going. Then we crested a ridge and got mowed down by it's friend.

Roadside
Alpha 1 AR
We were ordered to take up a position in the small village near the starting area as we charged towards the town I thought I saw movement in it and got so blinkered trying to confirm if it was enemy or just a rabbit I ignored the Platoon of enemy marching over the hill just to the right. Caught out in the open I got shot up very fast along with most of the rest of alpha. In my defense I wasn't even passed the lead vehicle and wasn't expecting contact so soon.

Crash site
OpFor Bravo 1 or 2 something. Scottish/Bavarian Independence Fire Team
We hid behind a wall and watched some epic helicopter battles then rushed the crash site and held it whilst shooting at maybe BluFor or maybe OpFor Alpha until the stash could be unloaded. Then we escaped to victory.

BlackFolkDown (limited objectives)
Charlie 2 FTL
This went really well for a change. I think the fact that Charlie was the only squad sent directly into town combined with the darkness allowed us to be quite surgical with getting to the mosque. There were a couple points when we had enemy less than 200m away from us but were able to sneak past them. As such by the end of the mission my fireteam was still all alive (the only time we needed a medic was when some steps loyal to enemy decided to attack).

There was some nice fire discipline in this mission I only saw 1 civilian casualty and we managed to extract 2 of the warlords alive which was nice.

Finale XL
Delta FTL
Delta were placed at the back, essentially the last line of defense. I decided to use the Tiananmen Square gambit and ordered my men to stand in a line formation in the middle of the road and wait for the tanks to come to us. Unfortunately no tanks ever came eventually I ordered a counter offensive and we started walking down the road when a T-72 sprung out of the bushes and killed us all.

That turned out to be the last active tank and it eventually rolled over a mine. So it was certainly a moral victory.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Bend
Deployed as Deputy Commander
The Takistanis are coming! The Takistanis are coming! A whole convoy of those loyalist government twerps is on its way north, but they must come through us first! We will stand bravely in their way, we will send them running, we will see them crushed before us and hear the lamentation of their goats!

Or we'll die. That works too. The elevation was very helpful, but the ranges at which we were trying to kill those surprisingly hardened BTR-60's meant that we were... less than successful in employing our RPGs.
:psyboom:

Roadside I
Deployed as Bravo Squad Leader
The hills are alive with squirming Takistanis! Bravo advanced steadily in this mission, moving from one ridge-top firing position to the next, two fire teams staring down the valley, with my third screening my left flank. Alpha ate a whole bunch of casualties in the first minute, but the combined massed fires of Bravo and Charlie managed to absolutely obliterate Alpha's attackers before all of them died.

Over the next ridgeline, Bravo took three casualties as we crested into the midst of a small enemy patrol. The insurgents were vigorously dealt with, and Bravo continued bounding forward through buildings, valleys, across ridges, and through the last city, where we found all of our wayward trucks. VICTORY!

Crash Site
Deployed as Dead Passenger #1
After the textbook infantry op that was Roadside, we ended up with a textbook example of "Distract the enemy with so many bodies that they crash a helicopter into themselves and cluster enough for one of us to land a GP in their midst!" Yeah... the whirly-bird I was in ended up killing me. Fortunately, BluFor managed to knock its tailrotor down a notch, eventually causing it to spiral into a forest. The trees claimed my revenge!

Black Folk Down
Deployed as Super 6-3 Pilot
After Crash Site's horrific whirlybird experience, I decided to take a break from element leading and take up the collective instead! Transport some mens into combat! Except then the CO assigned me as a recon chopper. Okay, that works too... except there's really nothing to spot except dudes running around on the ground. Fortunately, he didn't specify the type of recon, so the entire mission, Dabbo my star mini-gunner, helped me perform some reconnaissance... by fire. "TH3, this is Command. Any contacts to report?" "Ah... Nope, they're all dead." "Right on!"

My firing platform drifted around the city, screening the Villa raiders from any infantry that tried to cross the open fields, then sliding into position above Charlie to spray liberal amounts of 7.62mm all over all those abandoned civilian buildings. They are abandoned right? Well, no one's coming out without a rifle, so they must be, FIRE AWAY!

By the end of our fire mission, Dabbo had felled 17 dastardly Takistanis and thoroughly un-pimped two of their bling'd up rides... then we were called upon to extract Charlie, who had left behind their vehicles. Apparently, Charlie thought they were to dump their captured warlord into the back of my chopper, then go native, because half of them refused to get on board even after I was on the deck for almost 2 minutes. They were left behind in their obstinance.

Finale XL
Deployed as Juliet Rifleman (AT)
I suspect our glorious CO didn't like our glorious out-of-Alphabetical-order fire-team, because we were sent on a dead run to Shabaz, where we annoyed the crap out of some tanks, then got sniped by one lone Takistani ninja, cleverly hidden in the shadow of a wall. Clearly walking up to the newly corpsified team-mate saying, "Hey, what happened to you, man?" was not the most intelligent course of action I could have taken. At least I had already sent off my two RPGs in the general direction of some rolling steel stuff!

Cholo
Deployed as Ferrard
There is a top secret, classified, forbidden technique available to only the most ruthless of COs. COs for whom there is no greater joy than to see the world vanish in thermonuclear fire. COs whose big red button is stained by finger grease. It is the Ferrard Technique.

Steps to the Ferrard Technique:
1) Be a CO
2) Have Ferrard on your team
3) Get shot in the face and writhe on the ground while Ferrard leaves you behind to go shoot people.

This horrifying technique qualifies as a war crime in one Zargabad jurisdiction, but is easily countered by an even simpler plan: "Kill the Ferrard." Witness as Black Mamba attempts to activate the "Kill the Ferrard" technique:

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Great videos/AAR, as ever, Ferrard. :D

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

Aw man, can't wait to get home and watch them. I've been swamped with work lately and haven't been able to edit or attend :(