[Sun] 28 Apr 2013 (Success is a four letter word)

How we died
wolfenswan

[Sun] 28 Apr 2013 (Success is a four letter word)

Post by wolfenswan »

Missions:
  • Rook Valley
  • Cratesistance
  • Feruzablues
  • Two Days to Retirement (Berezino)
Today up to 54 comrades took the fight to the AI in Takistan and to themselves in Chernarus but despite spilling a lot of blood (some even of the enemy!) not a lot of success was had. On the bright side we can pity the guy that will have to explain this to the higher ups because we are all dead. Or MIA (but probably dead).

Quite a few new faces attended today and it's always good to see the meat shield brigrade sessions grow in size. Feel free to leave your thoughts, comments, questions or feedback here. The more people tell about themselves here the less time the revolutionary intelligence service will have to spent on background checks :cop:.

slawterer

Re: [Sun] 28 Apr 2013 (Success is a four letter word)

Post by slawterer »

I must sincerely apologize for my stint as Alpha Squad Leader. My communications were a mess and I had no idea what was going on half the time. Particularly bad was the section that went something like this:

CO: "Alpha, crest the hill and head to the A3 Marker."
ASL: "Guys, get up the hill to the A3 marker."
[Everybody gets shot a lot]
ASL: "Pull back and heal up."... "Guys, get up the hill to the A3 marker."
[Everybody gets shot a lot]
ASL: "Pull back and heal up."... "Guys, get up the hill to the A3 marker."

And so on.

Pr3sario

Post by Pr3sario »

Was my first time on the server and had a lot of fun. Will be back! :D
I make videos starring you lot. To see yourself live or die just click here

Terminal Boy

Post by Terminal Boy »

If we're going to continue with in-game briefings, can we have at least a minute for the FTLs to brief us Meatshields as to the overall plan and our first couple of movements.

Ideally, such a briefing should happen before we embark any transport vehicles to avoid us looking at the pretty scenery rather than following the briefing.

In the third mission last night, I went from Briefing screen (without briefing) to being in a Chinook 30 seconds from a possibly hot LZ with no idea of the mission plan apart from what I learned from the Notes and a cheery "Watch West when we land... 5 seconds out..Get ready!" which wasn't the best mission prep the Party has ever provided even though I did get a shiny M16A4 with Aimipoint sight.

Which was nice.

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Workshop
A nice turnout of 14(15) comrades made this a fun event to those who were there. As those with math skillz may have noticed, 14 does not four fireteams make. I was therefore left alone, in a village, with ferrard, and hurried to use my teleportation device to get out of there as soon as possible!
I got to stand and watch for a while whilst the others were bounding the heck out of some obstacles and mowing down these weird, red, imperialist pigs at the end of the drill-lane. Unfortunately, i had forgotten to turn on my TrackIR, so i decided i would reboot arma. When i returned, my body was possesed! by another party member who seemed to be recording the Workshop, so i decided not to bother and went off practicing my helicopter-crashing ability instead.

Rook Valley
A3 AAR
This mission was quite hectic. The town was a turkey shoot, and all of Alpha besides A3 was wiped out slightly further north than our position. Post-SL-death comms was the usual confused clusterfuck, and A3 moved east towards the intersection with the three story house. Whilst there we got shot up repeatedly, and Willem got to hit our chests again and again. Finally the orders to extract came, we drew our breath, prepared to run out of the house and up the road north. Heavy fire was expected, helicopters using all they had available of ordnance on us was not. BOOM:BOOM:BOOM:BOOM...loading spectator screen. :hist101:
Its worth noting that Bandzai had us running pretty smoothly. (The map-reading error was clearly capitalist sabotage... :D )

Crateresistance
BSL

I had it all figured out. We'd head south, carefully scope out cache four. B1 would provide covering fire and B2/3 would assault the cache from the east. It would have been brilliant, i tell thee, brilliant! (If it weren't for the fact that the enemy came careening down the road and assaulted us from the north..... :siiigh:

Feruzablues
A2 FTL
Re: Terminal Boy : Agreed. I happen to rather like having a basic outline of what all the other squads are up to, and listening in on the CO as he presents his plan is, in my opinion, a good way of doing that.

The LZ was pretty hot compared to what i expected. It all culminated with a gunnerless BRDM driving up BEHIND us. My AT-guy, Bones, blew it up after it had found a nice parking spot.
The first hill we ascended was relatively calm, and we went around through the valley in order to attack a military compound (A3) from the north. Then everybody started losing their legs. After seeing the rest of them chewed up i was disinclined to send my fireteam into view of whatever it was that got them, but after a couple of false starts we got in on the "assault A3"-fun as well. Then i lost my legs, and there turned out to be no room for medics in this army! Great. There are rumours of sorcerous healing vehicles that restores your legs when you get into them, but i was in the middle of nowhere and got to CRAWL to A3.
This had its charms. My fireteam was grand enough to come to my aid a couple of times, but i told them all would be fine and to join up with the rest of Alpha whilst i perfected my worm-impersonation. That i couldve asked one of them to pick me up never crossed my mind until i joinde the spectators....

Once i finished crawling to A3 i was pretty tired of it all and decided to snail-rush Feruz Abad without legs. That went as well as can be expected.

slawterer : i have a vague memory of being field-promoted to SL on this one once. The HORRORR!!!!!! You kept us moving where we needed to and had it under control most of the time. So please do try again.

General thought on SL'ing.
If possible, it seems to me a good idea to relay information about the activities of other squads as well. If there is a lull in activity it might be useful to spend that on getting everybody up to speed on the lay of the land. Speaking for myself i get very curious as to what is really happening over the ridge where Bravo is when i start hearing lots of noises.
Oh, and if SL's stop talking after a firefight i will nag them to death with questions about whether or not they are still alive until they return from the grave to respond. Sorry if that's annoying when you're still alive and talking on CC or something.

slawterer

Post by slawterer »

audiox wrote: Oh, and if SL's stop talking after a firefight i will nag them to death with questions about whether or not they are still alive until they return from the grave to respond. Sorry if that's annoying when you're still alive and talking on CC or something.
I understood why you kept asking about me, but I couldn't always identify who had spoken. A couple of times I replied "Yep, I'm alive" on CC and then got asked again by the same voice, only to realize it was my squad who had asked.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

audiox wrote:General thought on SL'ing.
If possible, it seems to me a good idea to relay information about the activities of other squads as well. If there is a lull in activity it might be useful to spend that on getting everybody up to speed on the lay of the land. Speaking for myself i get very curious as to what is really happening over the ridge where Bravo is when i start hearing lots of noises.
Also note that lulls in the general action more than often correspond to periods of intensive chatter on CC. I think that even if this is definitely a good concept (i like to understand the plan as well), it's quite difficult as an SL to find the time to give people feedback on the situation. Even more with the high player counts wet get at the moment.
Then again, in certain cases it might become tactically interesting to develop the plan further, so that everybody knows exactly what they need to be doing, what the others are gonna be doing.

IceRaiser

Post by IceRaiser »

When i returned, my body was possesed! by another party member who seemed to be recording the Workshop
Sorry about that :/

Workshop
Showed up a bit late and spectated a bit. Saw an AI slot on OpFor and took it.
Standard bounding drills and "how to board and dismount from a helicopter" was done and people seemed to at least get the point of it :)
I'll try to join on time next-next Workshop and record a bit more then.

Pointers:
Don't say "Ready" when you/your Team isn't.
Use cover, esp. when changing weapons(looking at you AT guy)
Semi shots that hit > Auto shots that miss. Keep an eye on the sandbags in the video :psyduck:
Oh and don't go prone during bounding movements, unless there's no cover. It takes far to long to stand up when you need to move again.

Pointers:
Please Be Quiet(PBQ™) when aproching the LZ, in case a Leader or the Pilot needs to say something important.
Don't say "Ready" or "xTeam out" when it's not.

Bonus video, Ferrard does a 55 degree noscope spin

Rook Valley
Delta 3 FTL: Kale
Delta 3 AR: Tink
Delta 3 AAR: IceRaiser
Delta 3 AT: Stoner

Delta Squad and WEP3 started in Chaman, South-West of the target.
We split up on on both sides of the road with WEP3 and their Technical in the middle.
We encountered a lot of enemies when we got close to Shukarkelay, But we managed to find a nice rock to use for our BOF.
Moved in to town, L110's all over the place, hidden enemies and a lot of confusion.
Tink slapped a local in the face with a fish and found out that the town was a big trap, all the buildings had explosives in them! :jihad:
We quickly moved NW of town, leaving Alpha(?) to make the enemies think we were still there and we enjoyed the firework. Well, maybe Alpha didn't but we did.

Cratesistance
Alpha somethingsomething. AAR?
We started in the middle of all the caches and met up with the other team quite fast. DEATH WAS HAD!
(no Super, I bled out ;) )

Feruzablues
Charlie 3 FTL: IceRaiser
Charlie 3 AR: Moon Moon (New guy. DanceMoox? MooxDance? Something funny. Forgot your name :()
Charlie 3 AAR: NuttyTechn0z
Charlie 3 AT: Warner

The plan was to have us all come in from West/South-West (Map from the end).
We walked, we paused, we walked, we paused.. we were told to attack the town from the SW! Finally, PEWPEWPEW!
Charlie three to the ridge, C1+2 between us and the road. Move up! PEWPEW! Oh noes, MoonMoon died! Warner shot an AT at the closest compound for revenge.
"Charlie 1+2 clear the compound plz", PEWPEW! moving up to the ridge.
Took a lot of fire from the town, pulled my team back from the edge and we all got shot... from the side... from that compound.(note C1+2 hiding at that wall :commissar: )

Ice bled out calling for someone from Charlie to get their ass up there and at least First Aid us.(sorry Dogface, might've complained a bit too much on ya :v: )
Think Warner got saved though.

Two Days to Retirement (Berezino)
In Head's FireTeam.
We held the SouthWestern edge. Seems the enemies just ran around us, didn't get a single kill or see any enemies :(
Did find two cop-cars though.

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

I will be penning an explanation as to why the SL only briefing technique is not only good but has shown terrific results in the past.

We could have provided some more time for SLs to brief their squads. But whether you get it from the CO or from the SL it should make no difference. In fact I would argue getting it from the SL means it is more targetted to exactly what your squad needs to achieved and you receive signal vs noise.
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

Terminal Boy wrote:If we're going to continue with in-game briefings, can we have at least a minute for the FTLs to brief us Meatshields as to the overall plan and our first couple of movements.

Ideally, such a briefing should happen before we embark any transport vehicles to avoid us looking at the pretty scenery rather than following the briefing.

In the third mission last night, I went from Briefing screen (without briefing) to being in a Chinook 30 seconds from a possibly hot LZ with no idea of the mission plan apart from what I learned from the Notes and a cheery "Watch West when we land... 5 seconds out..Get ready!" which wasn't the best mission prep the Party has ever provided even though I did get a shiny M16A4 with Aimipoint sight.

Which was nice.
This was regrettable...perhaps more time was needed before kicking the mission. But on otherside, this was exactly the immediate objective of the opening of the mission. Survive the LZ landing. What more information did you need? You had an objective, watch west and engage contacts. Doesn't get any simpler than that.
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.