[Sun] 05 May 2013 (Friendly Fires)

How we died
Dogface

Re: [Sun] 05 May 2013 (Friendly Fires)

Post by Dogface »

:suicide:

CompoundIt SE - OPFOR Bravo SL

So, I think we all know the score with this mission by now -- BLUFOR flies in with a chinook to try and take out insurgent weapons caches in Zavarak valley. Bravo holed up in the center of town with HMG1 wandering about on rooftops trying to get their infernal contraption set up, while Alpha occupied Zavarak itself and CO/MMG(?) headed up in the hills.

After a while of waiting during which the Arma terrain started furiously eating people, we started seeing a helicopter flying about shooting red lasers at us, as well as enemy soldiers shooting bullets at us from the ridgeline in the North. After spending a while shooting at them it became apparent that the CO was in trouble, so B2 sent 2 men up into the hills to retrieve and abandoned DShKM along with Bravo Medic, all trying to avoid the choppers lasers of death and sniping from the ridgeline. Eventually all of Bravo was sent up the hill, just as most of the BLUFOR chaps went rushing down it.

We took some shots as we pushed forward to try and rescue the CO, but we found him dead with an evil Ferrard Carson gloating over the corpse. After personally disposing of the Western Devil we set up on the ridgeline and spied the remainder of the BLUFOR group holed up in a hut on the valley floor. After perforating the whole area and killing two squaddies, Tiger deftly placed a GP grenade behind the building to kill the last guy who was hiding in the doorway. Just as we prepared to make a glorious charge downhill and clear them out before going to rescue Alpha, the mission ended. Great victory!

Utes Clearance - Cursed TH1 pilot

Augh!

Although this mission ended up going pretty well, the beginning was a comedy of errors much of which can be attributed to me. D: Having just got my joystick working (shut up they're good) I decided to have a go at this flying lark. Unfortunately the USB plug had worked loose and as I moved my foot while flying over the sea, it dislodged and we ended up ENGAGING SUBMARINE MODE. Unfortunately engaging submarine mode turns out to be a bad idea.

With this fixed, Tigershark graciously (perhaps foolishly) entrusted me to fly again when we restarted the mission. Unfortunately it didn't go a lot better this time. Not having played Utes in a while I'd forgotten quite how small it was and didn't quite register that the LZ marked next to the beach really was *right next to the beach*. As such I ended up going too far inland and to the north, meaning we got lit up fiercely by machineguns and/or AA from the airfield. With passengers quickly dying off, and yelling that we were passing the LZ, I yanked back on the stick for a hard-stop, which resulted in a high flare exposing us to more fire. Nonetheless I at least managed to wrestle us onto the ground without blowing up before I and gunner Kefirz were shot, so 4 lucky but traumatised Alpha survivors were able to make it out. The ironic thing is I'd literally been practising landings for a couple of days in preparation. I even had a fancy high-speed, low-altitude circular flare trick under my belt. But in this case it was the approach that I messed up, making such fancy maneuvers moot.

The lesson is, always read the map before taking off, visualize the area and work out the distances between landmarks, as it's hella difficult to navigate when you're being shot at! Also, I wasn't aware that shift-click HUD waypoints are enabled for vehicle pilots/drivers, which would have been super useful.

Anyway, we spectators watched the remnants of Alpha meet up with Bravo and push north to the airfield, as Charlie seemed to handle the first objective fine by themselves. Damaged helicopters limped back to the carrier and wounded pilots died on the deck, but the choppers returned for daring gun-runs and extracts. Tigershark got wiped out by Fer(?)'s not-so-friendly fire, and Kiril the Bravest Little AI made a brave attempt at assaulting the airfield on his own.

Moonless SE (with a Hind) - B1 FTL

With my quiet but effective fireteam of mostly new recruits, including God! himself, we set out to ambush a column of insurgents in a valley, before moving out to clear out their hometown. In a novel piece of quartermastery, some (or all?) of us had FN FALs with night-vision scopes, but no NVGs, on a dark and (as the name suggests) nearly moonless night. Strang moved us up into the hills and it was just a case of waiting for them to appear, and get blown up by the satchel charge before wiping out the survivors in short order. Once this was done, we filtered up north into the hills, with Strang hungry for targets and his loyal squad rewarding him with blown-up technicals and AA trucks, dead insurgents, rocketed buildings and general glory. Once we rolled into town and cleared it out, the mission was declared GREAT SUCCESS.

Cholo Episode 2 (with more explosions) - Hostage guard

I believe Draakon took the helm on this one, spreading us out around the station so as to ambush and distract the incoming UN troops. Meanwhile I kept the hostages holed-up tightly in a room on the 1st English floor no American floor no English floor of the police station, by standing in the doorway like a big, un-get-pastable lunkhead. Unfortunately we didn't seem to have any comms on direct chat, so I had to communicate my disapproval of their debauched Western antics such as looking at the pile of money, looking at the chair, looking at the window and looking at the computer through the medium of swarthy scowls and meaningful pointings of my gun. They went cowering into a corner as the bullets started flying nearby, with me pointing my gun at the door like a very short-range sentry-makarov, but the western pigdogs were defeated before I had a chance to massacre them all.

Anyway, fun night. I shall get some more chopper practise and take a little hiatus from flying until one night, when you least expect it, I'll sneak into that pilots chair and no doubt doom another cargo-load full of hopeful soldiers to a fiery death. :D

fer

Post by fer »

Nothun wrote:Fer: "I am God, who dares to question my authority?!?
Wait ... what? That was CCP, not me! I wouldn't claim to be God - I'm General Secretary of the Party. God reports in to the Politburo.
Dogface wrote:Tigershark got wiped out by Fer(?)'s not-so-friendly fire ...
That wasn't me, although my firteam (Charlie 3) was in the area; there were enemies in between us and Tiger (I know, because I killed one), but I also believe it was someone in Charlie who shot our CO by mistake. Anyway, making accusations is just a smokescreen to distract us from the issue at hand: your betrayal of the Party through pilot negligence. Comrade Headspace will chair a board of inquiry. At which you will be found guilty and sent to the gulag.

:commissar:

Mamuto

Post by Mamuto »

Pr3sario wrote:Only my second time in the server last night and I am starting to get the hang of the process now. Thanks to everyone for making newbies feel so welcome in the server.
Glad to see so many new faces!
So as we boarded the helis it became clear that only our Squad Leader had VON working. A quick chat about Y/N being acceptable answers and we were off. After landing we moved to some rocks a few hundred meters from the LZ. Our Squad Leader DM was Arma'd by the rocks, and was very much dead. Nitram stepped up to lead.
Just a tiny little nitpick, you're confusing Fire teams with Squads. In Folk ARPS, fire teams are the four person units. Squads are made of three fire teams. Coming from Battlefield 3, I also didn't know the difference. Just thought I'd point it out :D

StrangLove

Post by StrangLove »

Dogface wrote:Tigershark got wiped out by Fer(?)'s not-so-friendly fire
Strang's :P

Pr3sario

Post by Pr3sario »

Mamuto wrote:Just a tiny little nitpick, you're confusing Fire teams with Squads. In Folk ARPS, fire teams are the four person units. Squads are made of three fire teams. Coming from Battlefield 3, I also didn't know the difference. Just thought I'd point it out :D
This was a test, you passed.

Ahem... Yeah I knew that... :oops:
I make videos starring you lot. To see yourself live or die just click here

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Doofling wrote:
As this was an experimental session in regards to the briefing, I would wager that it would be appreciated of me as an SL to say a few words about it. (Even if my Squad was very short-lived both times we played)
As a new SL (I have SLd one time before due to higher ranking officers dying), I really liked the way it was done. Because the briefing was only given to key people I felt that I had much more freedom in carrying out my plan than I usually would.I felt much more relaxed because it meant that I had to worry less about following someones instructions to the letter, even if I myself would have done things differently with a similar result.

I liked the briefing also, because it allows for the CO to speak to individual SL's more easily because they don't have any distractions. And when SL's brief their squads they can focus on their objectives and what they need to do, it is much more effective as people actually listen up for what they need to do, not what the other squad is doing.

Doof, the way I interpret commanding, is that your CO gives you a point you need to capture, and it's your squad leaders job to achieve it however he wants to do it (approach from the south or north or east, whatever, because the SL knows the situation better than the CO and he can make a better call.)
And our briefings are free, if a SL thinks that charging across a field, instead of taking a path trough the forest, would be better then he should say so and together, both of you will reach a conclusion.

So to conclude:
These new briefings allow the commanders and squad leads a better 1 on 1 with the troops.
A good subordinate gives his commander options.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

IceRaiser

Post by IceRaiser »

Btw. it's pronounced "No-tuun" some interresting radio chatter: "Hey you with N something... get on that ridge..."
I'm still gonna call you Not-Hun

Mr-Link

Post by Mr-Link »

Please tell me someone took a video of the glorious fireworks that happened in Cholo 2. First time I see OPFOR win this one, and they did it with style (and a healthy dosage of explosives).

Also, for those who missed The Valley, it boiled down to this:

Frerrard Carson + M60 + 1980's =

AntOwler also did very very well considering he wasn't armed with the LAZOR spewing M60.

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

I like that Rambo is holding the ammo belt with his pinkie finger extended.

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

Dogface wrote:I like that Rambo is holding the ammo belt with his pinkie finger extended.
Obviously went to some kind of finishing school. Such a gentleman....a violent and dangerous one with bad elocution....but a gentleman.
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.