[Sun] 26 May 2013 (Cam and Super double team it!)

How we died
SuperU

[Sun] 26 May 2013 (Cam and Super double team it!)

Post by SuperU »

Missions:
  • Ashore
  • Rook Valley
  • Defense in depth
  • BlackFolkDown
  • Holy Stones

After Party
  • Cholo
  • Cholo Remix!
Yet another excellent turn-out, for an intrinsically long and awesome session : 51 comrades was our peak playercount.

We kicked-off with a server melting disaster with ashore which lasted all of 5 minutes. We promptly hoped over to a fantastic run of rook valley, in which a large selection of the force survived to achieve the final objective! After this we took to the castley mountains of chernarus to shoot at each other in the dark in defense in depth. Blufor blinded by some tactical spotlights found themselves ripped apart by a defense workshop hardened indefor, not even comrade ninja IceRaiser could save them. From here we formed an airborne platoon in the famous BlackFolkDown Alpha was far to high speed low drag for the partys like! Arresting the warlord relaxing in his villa retreat in record time, alpha then caught up with the rest of the platoon who were slugging through the meat grinder, turns out after interviewing the alpha warlord that they were in fact only exchange English teachers(oops!) so the assault was scrubbed awarding glorious victory to blufor! After this azoz and aziz battle it out in Holy Stones where azozs advanced tractor flanking maneuvers provided too much for azizs own force of crazed fanatics!

After this much PCP was taken at precinct 13.

As ever, please post your thoughts, feedback, screenshots and video here - comrade YouTube Hero SuperU's (MEEEEEEEEE!) FA doesn't just produce our video idents, but provides leadership and guidance to propaganda artists; more guidance on video editing for Folk ARPS is provided by comrade Ferrard Carson. Posts in the AAR threads really helps us (the hosts and mission makers), both with understanding how we can improve the experiences, and showing potential comrades what our sessions are like.

:v:

Ferrard Carson

Re: [Sun] 26 May 2013 (Cam and Super double team it!)

Post by Ferrard Carson »

I had to duck out early and celebrate my co-worker getting hitched, but I was able to stick around long enough to impart some urban combat wisdom to our workshop participants, then to play a rousing round of "Do not look at the carrier!", and finally to witness our so-damn-near-we-could-taste-it completion of my latest massive co-op, "Rook Valley."

Yes, "near completion." We actually lost. Why? Well, you can hardly call it a win if you're stuck behind enemy lines without a ride back out, and Mother Russia isn't very interested in CSAR operations.

Workshop
Today's workshop was a reflection of IndFor's poor performance on the defensive in urban terrain in last week's Cacheola. Simply put, our decision-making was "Martyr" focused rather than "Guerilla" focused. A much-touted AAR of marine squad-sized actions in Fallujah mentions these two distinct types of enemies - Martyr's are focused entirely on killing as many enemies in the midst of their own deaths as possible, and corner themselves / fortify their buildings accordingly (the sort of fortifications preferred by Martyrs are actually nigh impossible to reproduce in the game environment). Guerillas are focused on attriting their enemies and evading to continue attrition from a different firing position or minimally fortified structure. Simply put, it is almost never a good idea to be a Martyr rather than a Guerilla.

Click here to read more about some basic Defensive MOUT concepts!

Rook Valley - Now with less lag!
Deployed as Alpha 1 FTL
Due to the vagaries of how we had sorted ourselves for our game of "DON'T LOOK AT THE CARRIER noooo......," Draakon ended up taking another crack at this, my latest magnum opus co-op. Since we first played this, I simplified it many times over. First off, there's no more messy split between heliborne and motorized forces. Second, the number of enemies in Shukurkalay has been cut in half. No, really, I went through and deleted a full 50% of the people there, and all of a sudden, the lag magically disappeared!

Not that Shukurkalay was any less lethal for it, something I'm very much glad about. Alpha Squad, as the folk doing the bulk of the clearing, got absolutely chewed up by close-in contacts and Takistanis firing through horrifically narrow firing lanes and unexpected windows and doorways. Of my fire-team, all of us were wounded at least twice, with IceRaiser biting it in an attempt to reach the wounded SuperU, and Draith going kaput at some point when I was distracted by some crazy bastard slathering my face in strawberry jam.

Alpha's 2 and 3 fared little better, and the entire squad was effectively cut in half by the time we found our way back to the LZ. Fortunately, before he died, IceRaiser managed to find the rumored cache of American ordinance, set a satchel by it, and blow it skyhigh. The shipping manifest he tore off its packaging and handed to Cam, our Squad Leader, read "Chak Chak," so we took to the air again.

Well, some of us took to the air. Alpha, as stated before, was half the squad it used to be, and Bravo had taken some casualties when it crested a hill to cover Alpha's retreat. Our bloodied platoon broke contact, fleeing the town of death in terror as the mujaheddin coldly cut down the stragglers. Fortunately, Charlie Squad was full up on meatshields glorious comrades, and so they took the point near Chak Chak as Alpha's chopper landed directly in front of an angry M240 nest whose last act was to put a bullet to me. Well, more like 20 bullets. Yeah, I died.

From beyond the grave, I watched a massive firefight break out between the advancing platoon line of Russians and a company of Abrams tanks supported by the MPs protecting the American HQ. Traded tracers lit up the night sky, a Weapons Team Metis launched streaks of flame into Chak Chak over and over again, RPG men blew up Humvees, the south of the platoon line assaulted a sniper position, and a tank nearly overran our northern flank.

Then our choppers came in hot and eager to provide air support - too eager. They were swatted out of the sky by massed .50 cal fire, and a chill pallor settled in over the suddenly stranded Russians as the American tanks rolled forward, American patrols closed in for the kill, and an American jet screamed overhead. The brave men of 31 Schturmovaya Rota were never heard from again.

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Wheeeow. Another night another set of interesting ways to die.

Workshop
The workshop this time had a slightly more adversarial approach than it uses to. That seemed like a "good thing"TM! Practicing both city clearance and city defense made sense, and having live bullets flying around helped for immersion.

Rook Valley
Alpha 3 FTL

So, we had the right side of the road, and moved forward without encountering too much resistance, blew up some technicals and had some fun. Then Cam wanted us to move upslope to get a better FOV over the city. Watching the green blobs hovering over AI when i died proved why this was a really, really, really bad idea. But i guess it was up to me to notify Cam of it, and i didn't, so i guess i deserved that bullet.... :commissar:

Defense in Depth
Castlefor Bravo SL
We had castle walls, and it seemed like a good idea to cower like the scared insurgents we were. In the managed chaos that ensued the other side got deader than us! Yay!

Sidenote : I had NVG's. Am i supposed to have those as SL in Castlefor?

BlackFolkDown
Alpha SL
So, Toppo tasked us to take the villa, and it went smooth as silk. Thanks to Willem, Tiger and Super who had their fireteams doing nice stuff all through the assault. Though it seemed to me that the Villa was perhaps a bit lightly defended. (What?`Everybody still alive? Try harder Dammit! :laugh: ) If i ever do another assault on the villa i'm going to have to do something more than the, by now formulaic approach i defaulted to. I don't know what that will be, but beware if we're ever tasked to do it again.
After waiting a while for the horribly ineffective Bravo and Charlie squads we were tasked to do recon from the eastern side of the mosque. Which might have been a good idea if it wasn't for a machine gun that wanted to play with our chopper. Wires managed to barely land the chopper, and a good many of us died whilst still in it. If nothing else it looked good after the crash with all of our bodies inside. Very BlackFolk.

Now when can i get to land one of the choppers in the mosque again? :mrgreen:

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

SESH GOOD. GOOD SESH.

Ashore

Oh look a carrieAAAUUUGGHGHHH UNIVERRSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE IMPLOOODDDINNNNGGGGGGGGG

Rook Valley - Charlie SL

One of the night's 'big missions', this definitely ran smoother than before - although by the time we took the flight to ChakChak, it was starting to become a slideshow again. I know it's bad when half of my footsteps aren't even being registered so I'm moving at half-speed... <:) Props to Ferrard for improving things though.

Anyway, as the platoon moved down the valley into Shukurkalay, Charlie was assigned to the right-hand/southern slope, with Bravo on the other side and Alpha in the middle. Things went very smoothly for us: we saw an enemy squad on the hill ahead of us with plenty of warning, and were able to keep an eye on them as we advanced along the valley keeping Alpha covered and taking out the occasional target on the valley floor. Eventually the weapons team got into PK range and destroyed the hilltop squad, and we moved up to occupy their old position and start raining down precise, targeted fire on the town, albeit at quite some distance.

Alpha were the first to hit the town, and we soon got reports of them getting chewed up at close range. We directed our fire as close as possible without hitting Alpha, then did the same for Bravo as they moved in to reinforce Alpha. Our fire was very effective against the targets we could see from our distant vantage point, with FTLs and spotters directing shots very efficiently with their binoculars. Great work team! Since we kept a safe distance, we also managed to complete this stage with no casualties whatsoever, unlike the much-battered other squads. :P

Eventually we got word that some sort of cache had been found and destroyed, so glorious CO Draakon pulled us back into the valley for extraction, while Bravo got even more chewed up in the process of retreating.

Our next target was the filthy yanks who had supplied the offending hardware, so it was time for another valley assault, this time into Chak Chak. I bravely/foolishly volunteered us to go along the valley floor this time, and once everyone was in place we started slowly advancing. The first thing we spotted was a couple of HMMWs, so we lined up with our sights on them while everyone else got into position, and listened to the increasingly worried reports of tanks and all sorts of other badness in the town ahead. Eventually someone had an ND which started the barrage, with the humvees soon being taken out of action and our squad being ordered to charge forward.

From here it turned into a jerky but beautiful blitzkrieg as Alpha, Bravo and the weapons teams rained down thunder and lightning (and rockets) from the hilltops, taking out tank after tank as we pushed further and further into the maelstrom, somewhat surprised to see B3 splitting off from the main group on the hills and rushing ahead of us into our line of fire, no doubt trying to steal our hard-earned glory! However at this stage apparently all the pilots had bought the farm, and so the mission was called.

Defense in depth - BLUFOR CO

Apparently this marked the first recorded BLUFOR loss on this mission, but I put this down to the defence-focussed workshop we just had rather than the inconceivable concept of any sort of leadership failure on my part. :P

Simply put, we had to take a castle on a hill in the middle of Chernarus, surrounded by woods but with clear ground immediately around it. Although it was nighttime and we had NVGs, they had spotlights, flare traps, GP flares, and, well, a giant castle! I split our force into two, with the 2-fireteam Bravo splitting up and approaching from the south with orders to suppress/distract the castle forces. Alpha meanwhile, under Tigershark's leadership, approached from the west, lining up where the treeline came closest to the castle.

We encountered a couple of scouts who were quickly taken out, though we also triggered several flares on our approach. Eventually Alpha pulled up into position and I gave Bravo the order to start shooting. Unfortunately, this is where things started to fall apart. The defenders had set up some great interlocking overwatch positions, and soon started to whittle down Bravos forces, without losing their focus on the flank that Alpha was approaching from. Very quickly, the whole attack force was being torn into pieces. I therefore did the only thing I could and ordered a glorious banzai charge. I found a column of shadow approaching the castle where a tower blocked the spotlights, but the sneaky approach didn't help me as I was efficiently mown down from one of the walls. Even Iceraiser barely made it to the break in the walls before being riddled with bullets.

C'est la vie! I'm not sure what sort of approach would have been more effective, other than maybe concentrating the force more in a straight-up, force-of-numbers charge on the main entrance, where the treeline almost reached the castle. Shruggo!

BlackFolkDown - B1 FTL

Under the staunch command of Dannysaysno, we reprised this classic warlord-snatching mission in Zargabad. Bravo and Charlie were sent to the southern target in a small suburb of the city, while Alpha went north to hit the villa. Charlie did most of the hard work here, with us setting up as a base of fire to cover them as they went in. We had a few nasty surprises with enemy troops in nearby buildings, and then a few skirmishers approaching from the airfield gate to the north, but we took care of them nice and efficiently before following Charlie into town to secure the area.

After this we moved into Zargabad itself (I forget if we walked or flew), to assault the mosque and nab our last two targets. At this point we started losing men more quickly, and before long we were whittled down to six in the squad, two in my fireteam -- though Aquarius jumped on the fallen Misho's M60 immediately, like a high-caliber olympic torch keeping the spirit of the fireteam alive. As we pushed up through southern zargabad to meet up with Alpha, Danny got smished by a bullet and I had to take over. Wolf and Tiger(?) got pinned down in some nearby buildings but managed to HOOAH their way back to us, while Charlie and the CO entreated us to come and join them across a field of machinegun fire. With much trouble caused by the dreaded Rusty Looking Building we eventually made it to the COs position, and lined ourselves up to slog across the road north for the final push on the mosque. However I apparently didn't observe the green cross code as I got instantly obliterated in the middle of the road.

At this point I had to head off. Good stuff all round!

Gaia

Post by Gaia »

Workshop
We learned how to clear buildings, defend buildings, and (in my case) get shot. All of these would be useful in later missions.

Rook Valley
Alpha-2 FTL
I was Alpha-2 FTL and led the charge into the village, clearing every building as we approached. When we arrived at the village, I was shot at from the inside of a garage, and I returned fire, killing a friendly in the process. (oops, sorry Tiger) After that, A-2 started clearing the village until we were ordered to secure the BluFor HQ. A-2 charged in bravely, losing a guy in the process. Shortly after securing the HQ, we were ordered to evac, but we were left behind in the retreat, and A-2 was taken down by sniper fire.

Defense in Depth
Bravo-2 FTL
It was bad. I got lost, and decided I should probably change my callsign to Captain Slow. After that we got shot. Then I exploded. Bad things happened. The end.

Black Folk Down
Charlie-1 FTL
We inserted into the southern village, and swept the area, losing a man. After securing the village, we took a heli towards Alpha, but we got shot up and crashed. Luckily, I lost no one, and Squad Lead was A-Okay. We moved up to Alpha's position and saved their ass. So I sent Charlie-1 towards the Mosque, only to get pinned down. My entire squad was taken down, as well as Squad Lead. I took command of Charlie, and was about to lead a retreat when the mission ended.
Apparently we just shot up a bunch of heavily armed school teachers. Sorry...
Hearts and minds people... Hearts and minds...

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

What's better than video? Not a helluva lot else! Enjoy!

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."