[Tue] 11 Jun 2013 (Look sir, toys!)

How we died
IceRaiser

[Tue] 11 Jun 2013 (Look sir, toys!)

Post by IceRaiser »

• Belenus - Attack British forces, that have several Warriors at their disposal. What could possibly go wrong?
  • Holy Stones - SuperÜ showed the world that his zerglings are still top-notch. :clint:
  • Shady Harvest - Where we all outsmarted the enemy by attacking at night! Hah!
  • Cinderella - Who needs the fog?
  • The Colonels - Not even EBass' mighty plan could stand against the tide of SuperÜ's zerglings.
  • Danger Zone - Mission test. Who knew Strykers could be so deadly?
Great session everyone, thanks for coming along and we'll meet again on Sunday! (Or Friday's V+ session) :v:

dancemoox

Re: [Tue] 11 Jun 2013 (Look sir, toys!)

Post by dancemoox »

Belenus

I started out as Delta FTL but was soon bumped up to DEF SL. SL for the first time went okay to begin with, it remained smooth once CO died and ABC SL took over, but once they died it all went to command channel hell. From what I could tell people were issuing orders for ABC inside CC rather than TS and making it impossible for me to hear what my FTLs were saying, this made me screaming about the incoming Warriors rather pointless as nobody was listening to what I was saying on CC in the end.. A refresher on the chain of command perhaps? Or do we all just require a beating with said chain?

Holy Stones - I formed part of the east flank as Indie Bravo 2 and did the following heroic things; threw smoke to cover a medic, patched up a guy in an archway and hopelessly looked for Dogface who'd been wounded somewhere. Then we won, for the swarming bravo attack always works..

Shady Harvest - MAT Assistant with EBass as a duck / one man NLAW killing machine!

I really enjoyed that mission, putting the difficulty to one side I seemed to be in the right place spotting for my big missile leader when required as well as right next to him when he needed some more of the 5 reloads I was toting around. I even managed to zap some guys on the second objective assault, didn't see the crew bailing out of that Huey for a split second but killed them well enough. I also really enjoyed the laser light show mid mission with Delta :P

Cinderella - IFV Gunner with Dogface Vehicle CO and Guss Driver.

We did alright holding our sector to begin with, when not moving I was able to shoot at and give the enemy something to think about, sadly once moving in the flanking maneuver I was less than useless, all I could see was trees and yet more trees. Fighting in a buttoned up IFV in trees just isn't a thing I can do it seems.

The Colonels - Opfor Alpha 2 AR with Dogface

We drove up, I got out and IceRaiser shot me in the face :(

Danger Zone - Engineer Team Assistant with Ebass.

We did okay taking out the first few of the 2000 enemy vehicles, a HMG team would have been nice for the 10000 infantry that swarmed out of the burning vehicles.. This mission was also peppered with random Moon Mooning, and not from Ice for once :clint:

See you guys on Friday!
ramming speed!

IceRaiser

Post by IceRaiser »

dancemoox wrote:This mission was also peppered with random Moon Mooning, and not from Ice for once :clint:
Oh, Moon Moon

nitram

Post by nitram »

dancemoox wrote:A refresher on the chain of command perhaps?
I think a workshop concentrating on the SL role would actually be a really good idea. I think a lot of the reluctance to take on the role during slotting is down to angst; handling the extra comms correctly or even something as simple as knowing where to stand (lead-from-front or lead-from-behing) was a significant barrier for me.

It'd be useful for everyone to be briefed on the role, you never know when you're going to be unexpectedly promoted in the field. You can go from being the cushy A1 AAR to ASL in one mortar strike.

Zooibanaan

Post by Zooibanaan »

I agree nitram, since I'm new to this I'd love some insight in command.
Ingame: "Zoo"

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

Belenus
INDFOR Charlie RAT
Spawned with an AKSU, 4 mags and one single rocket. Recalling the lessons learned from previous assaults on the refinery, I noted scavenging more HEAT a primary task. But lo and behold, the truck we were sitting in was loaded with all kinds of ammo! And not the cheap stuff, either! We jumped out and hit the gravel, me dragging two brand new tandem warheads (I left two more in the truck should any other enterprising comrade feel the need to up the ante). Immediately, we spotted a couple of enemy soldiers two walls over, but stopped short of clearing them out as command was calling out an enemy IFV rolling in on us. Before our FTL could even ask where it's coming from, we were met by a bunch of comrades sprinting away from the west, soon joined my a BTR hauling ass eastwards. Not quite fast enough, though, as the aforementioned ass was soon riddled with chaingun fire. Trying to move past the chainlink fence, I took cover behind the burning BTR and drew my RPG as the Warrior moved in. Two direct hits and some fireworks later, I was out of ammo and about to draw my AK when the SL screamed something about "One more". I was about to ask "One more what?", and then it hit me :siiigh:

Holy Stones
INDFOR A2 AAR(?)
Classic zergrush. Opfor didn't even have the time to engage properly.

Shady Harvest
BLUFOR B2 RAT
As with any group fieldtrip, the hardest part was sorting out the transport. Despite the roaring of the Iroquois (UH-1) and the Goldfish (???) above, the first town was cleared with few major incidents (thanks MAT!), except for our AR somehow managing to fall down the hill. As in, the entire hill. Town no.2 was a bit hairier. We snuck up on the unsuspecting enemy, rushed in guns blazing, and were greeted by a charging T-34 that died before getting a single shot off. Moving in through the houses, we reached a parked Huey, surrounded by friendlies, but with a guy sitting inside. I couldn't judge the uniform with NV, and as I was asking the FTL what was going on, the two pilots jumped out and let loose. Two seconds later, they were both dead, and half the team was shouting "BLU-on-BLU" :lol: . We proceeded clearing buildings, and as the message got out that Aziz was taken in, I round the corner and get shot by the very last guy in the entire town. The burden of my vengeance was left to our AR.

Cinderella
Opfor Bravo RAT
Shabaz again :roll: . We moved across the river, sneaking as close as possible to the settlement, only to have the Bradley nearly run us over when we got there. I missed the one rocket I had, and as the IFV pirouetted across the field, we stormed the walls. Unfortunately for me, as awesome as the FAL is, it's not exactly a MOUT-optimized weapon.

The Colonels
INDFOR A2 AR
Zergrush kekeke. Climbing on the station roof, I took a bullet to the noggin, but not before taking the legs out from under an enemy FTL. I consider it a victory, though, as his friend stayed behind to heal him, and they both got killed by Bravo :laugh:

Danger Zone
We all took up AT slots
Here's a thought: play this mission directly before Shady Harvest. When the marines pile out, they all have their lasers on, and keep waving them around. If there weren't so damn many of them, it would've been a turkey shoot. Meanwhile, Shady harvest looked like a rave. When we approached the second town, the opportunity was perfect to tell everyone "pick one" and get two beams per target ready to fire. Instead, you can't designate something with lasers when everything has lasers on it.
[/allegedly]

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

dancemoox wrote: A refresher on the chain of command perhaps?
I was the guy who ended up being the next in line for command on this and it took me a while to realise this, I'll try to explain why now...... The mission used the old ORBAT meaning each Fireteam was named Alpha, Bravo etc etc. The CO then split the platoon into 2 squads (3 fireteams in each) CO was the new makeshift Alpha SL (I believe) and DC was then the makeshift Bravo SL.

I happened to be an Automatic Rifleman in Bravo FT within the makeshift Alpha Squad.

At the point where everyone is alive and well, I believe I would be around about 12th (give or take) in line to take command. Therefore, in order for me to take command - CO and DC, Squad Leaders and then EVERY FTL (aswell as Alpha's AR) would have to die before I was given command. So hopefully you'll understand why it took so long for me to realise that, it was in fact my turn to step up but due to the numbers we had lost anyways we were royally screwed with or without a CO at that point.

Even using the current ORBAT it gets a bit messy but the old one didn't make things easy.

Toppometer

Post by Toppometer »

nitram wrote:
dancemoox wrote:A refresher on the chain of command perhaps?
I think a workshop concentrating on the SL role would actually be a really good idea. I think a lot of the reluctance to take on the role during slotting is down to angst; handling the extra comms correctly or even something as simple as knowing where to stand (lead-from-front or lead-from-behing) was a significant barrier for me.

It'd be useful for everyone to be briefed on the role, you never know when you're going to be unexpectedly promoted in the field. You can go from being the cushy A1 AAR to ASL in one mortar strike.

This is just one of the reasons why having Channel Commander (CC) setup on Team Speak is so vital; you may think that you "aren't taking a command role" but one could be thrust upon you very quickly!

Much of the disruption caused by command being decimated, as happened in Belenus, was sorted because people could talk to each other on CC.

It only takes a couple of minutes to setup and helps everyone out! http://www.folkarps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=92