[Tue] 18 Jun 2013 (Tactical Trees)

Post by Bodge »

Missions:
  • Save the saviours
  • Defence in depth
  • Cherno Rabbit
  • Outpost Bean
Escape afterparty

A thoroughly successful couple of co-ops combined with quite a lot of trees. Thanks for playing guys though a quick reminder to keep comms a bit quieter when slotting and planning so that things can move more quickly. Save the saviours was a solid performance from the main platoon but the last of the SF forces perished when we were in touching (steady tiger) distance. The backpack was recovered by bravo and a hasty withdrawal followed. Defence in depth began with a very long wait until a time limit was issued and blufor moved in, breaking the defensive perimeter and cleaning up when inside though not without a few losses. Unfortunately for blufor the time limit had expired before they killed everyone but we let them have their fun anyway. Cherno rabbit proved eventful but successful much to wilson's horror and outpost bean was as glorious as ever until someone decided to flee. We even had a little bit of nostalgia with an afterparty Escape session over on the mod box, it took a while but we did it. Nice to see some people I didn't recognise and some that I hadn't seen in a while. Looks like we might need some more mortars.

Thoughts and reports below.

Mojo

Re: [Tue] 18 Jun 2013 (Tactical Trees)

Post by Mojo »

One game session, but quite a long one at that!

Cherno Rabbit
MAT Gunner - tryteyker
MAT Assistant - Mojo

Partially attached to pieces of Alpha the party started with a technical someone called out to the North West. We looked north west but didnt see anything but trees. Turned out it was parking just North East behind some pine trees and got blown to hell before we could respond. This basicly set the pase for the rest of the game. Every time a possible target was called out, it was either too far away or it was already being targeted by other AT units. We found ourselves in quite a pickle as the IFV was shooting right above our heads and we could not move until they stopped shooting. Bricks where shat between those trees. We stayed behind the frontline, waiting for more targets and a IFV turned out to be waiting for Alpha. As we moved up it already got de-crewed and some of the crew was mown down. One however didnt seem to be so bullet spongy and turned himself into my first and only kill that game. 2 bullets used and halfway down the corridor.

After watching the rabbit fistbump another parked IFV things got a bit tricky. 2 enemy tanks where spotted charging down the road towards the convoy. The first tank managed to drive right infront of rabbit and get a shell through the front, the second drove into the field, directly towards the treeline that we where hiding in with alpha. Tryteyker aimed the mighty Carl Gustav and delivered the uncrewing blow to the tank. I opened fire on the crew but another AT rocket blew both the crew and the tank into pieces. After everyone got excited, we crossed the road and entered the barn that was also housing some local engineers. They did some magic and made us feel uncomfortable, so we moved into town and ran for victory. Tryteyker prepared the CG for a victory shot but was blantly c*ckblocked by the debriefing screen.

A dane, a swede and the Carl Gustav RR, what a dream team. With a total of around 20 bullets and 1 rocket we didnt exactly burden the taxpayers and we also beat the inital "oh god we will all die" by not being hit a single time by friendly cross fire! Everybody rejoyce!

Mojo out.
Operation Red Hammer - A dynamic, storydriven, COOP campaign
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=919

Pr3sario

Post by Pr3sario »

Save the Saviours
B1 - AR
I enjoyed this mission. I was able to put a lot of the workshop learning into practice here, clearning buildings, bounding in pairs, finding the high ground etc. There was enough EI hidden in buildings and crawling along streets to keep us occupied for the duration. I think I am right in saying that our FT killed many EI and didn't even take one bullet in the process. The exfil in the IFV being a particular highlight for me as it meant I could finish my cup of tea!

Defence in Depth
B1 AAR
This mission was a lesson in the dark arts of planning by committee. I was in a FT led by AntlerOwl (by the way, has anyone ever told you that you sound Scottish?). We largely done as we were told. Then Alpha was decimated by GP grenades and AntlerOwl took it upon himself to lead us around and approach from West of the castle. By this point a 10 minute warning had been called by Bodge so we bounded over open ground with little regard to the workshop learning I had so strictly adhered to in the first mission. We took fire from one of the arrow slits in the castle wall, I dropped to the ground and laid down some fire as the rest of the FT formed on the outer wall. When I got to the wall I was with audiox, and we moved around to the next available entrance to the castle. I saw two men on the opposite wall - I took a shot and one went down injured with the other hiding behind a rock I tossed a grenade. I think that done the trick. A few moments later, while peeking around the wall someone jumped out on me, I shit myself and immediately went to fire. I realised I hadn't switched back to my primary and I had just dropped a grenade at my feet, and in close proximity to my FT. Bollocks :oops: . Luckily all that seemed to happen is I was injured quite badly and died in Greyerics arms.

Cherno Rabbit
B1 AAR
Now, Bodge asked for some feedback on the mission for Wilson. I think it has a lot of potential. It felt like a realistic scenario. Only feedback I would have on the mission itself is that it would be nice to fight our way through Krasnotav. Have the EI make one last stand. Maybe that's the intention but last night we were able to walk right on through.

Now onto the AAR for the mission itself. I found this mission incredibly frustrating. The micro management from the BSL was game breaking for me. And the meta game of lets make sure all of Bravo survives was just silly - this is Folk ARPS, if I don't die then I haven't tried hard enough... Dogface led the FT I was in well. But as we moved up, from way point to way point, endlessly giving updates on who was still alive I was ready to just bail out this mission. The final straw for me came when initially we were called back from approaching the crashed heli "because we might lose someone from Bravo"... :w-hat: There is something to be said for letting your FTL's plan their own movements, and letting us have some fun and die... :commissar:
Last edited by Pr3sario on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I make videos starring you lot. To see yourself live or die just click here

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

I have nothing much to say, except that playing "Rabbit" as Bravo 3-4 was a great amount of fun and examplary of why FOLK ARPS (And with extension Arma) is completely awesome.
BSL (Gaius) gets quite a bit of flak, but I personally feel that he did quite well. Just do note: Your goal as a SL is to give directions, not to individually control units. This game does not become Men of War once you take the leader position, you only make it harder on yourself if you do it that way.

I'd like to make a friendly reminder that the commanding slots are open to everyone at anytime. If you have serious problems with someones style of commanding, don't sit under him, or better yet command yourself. Considering that there have been a few "Leading by committee" missions for some of the sides here I feel this should be stressed. If you want to command, take the slot. Otherwise, speak only when spoken to.

Also, please be reminded that there is a SPECIAL HELL for serial murderers and people who speak during CO briefings.

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Cherno Rabbit
ENG team lead, with my fellow comrades:
-Daf
-Astro_Nit

We started out fine with some banter and all that, but then I believe a gunner mystically died in the LAV and I was tasked to provide it with a replacement driver, I asked who wants to do it and Astro volunteered, good luck to you and off you go :D
Engies mostly stayed behind the Rabbit and bantered between each other, we took some fire but nothing major, but then we approached a place where a BMP-2 was destroyed and mines were laid diagonally across the road and god knows how far they extended in the grass.
So we started clearing the mines when all of a sudden an Mi-24 appeared, I told Daf to take cover and hid myself behind the BMP wreck, after people dealt with the Mi-24, I started clearing out mines again, but hey what is that on the horizon? Oh a tank.. and it's not ours... riiiiight with nowhere to go I quickly ran to the wreck and told Rabbit that we had a tank incoming straight for us, and with all his wisdom Rabbit positioned himself behind my trusty HMMVV, I got conflicting reports who actually shot my car up, Ebass said it was the enemy, but other people right after the engagement said that it was our tank. Ok so a tank and a hind, that should be it, right? Nope another steel beast was coming our way, although he was traveling in a depression and got quite close until it was dispatched. By this time the mines had been cleared, but me and Daf still insisted people drove on the road to pass them safely, I guided our armor trough it and me and Daf proceeded merrily on our way with the repair truck that was left now.
Getting closer to Krasnostav we observed a nice barn and we immediately made it into our FOB, while chilling there for a while MAT arrived, but we didn't get to speak much as we were on the move again.. after we left the barn we could see the airfield, so we made a break for it and arrived first on the airfield with tank smashing in our back, somebody should have done a breathalyzer test for the whole tank crew, before they started operating big-ass machinery.

Overall? Maybe because we were at the back, this felt a bit too easy, the Russian version is way harder, mostly because of the unforgiving terrain it has and the sheer amount of nasty AT dudes.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

tryteyker

Post by tryteyker »

Great session, except the first mission, Save the Saviours.
The issue with the first mission are a couple. The SF Team spawns inside a compound, and EI is all around it. The SF Team has no time to react, as shown by Guus dying right on mission start (00:01:01), and 3 of our men getting either wounded or dying slightly after the beginning. I believe that EI should either spawn further away, or the SF team should start inside the building, safely. Also there should either be a decision made between not allowing the SF Team to move at all (by moving EI into the compound quite some time after mission start) or force them to move tactically but quickly. Right now the SF Team just gets mowed down instantly and is absolutely forced to stay inside the building, prone. That should be addressed mission-wise.

Tactical-superawesomeness-wise, there needs to be a better plan for SF after the mission issues are addressed. This session there was no plan at all besides "stay alive", which led to extreme confusion, where some wanted to move somewhere, some wanted to stay. We all agreed on staying once the mission started but even then it didn't work out perfectly. A couple of issues need to be addressed, like who stays where in the house, where or what do we engage, etc etc. But that's really just a tactical issue that can be resolved by putting somebody competent to planning a plan. Not me.

IceRaiser

Post by IceRaiser »

The SF Team spawns inside a compound, and EI is all around it. As stated in the briefing.
The SF Team has no time to react. 10 seconds invulnerability is enough, run faster.
the SF Team just gets mowed down instantly. You were downed inside a hostile town, did you expect to be able to walk around the market?
This session there was no plan at all besides "stay alive". Which is the ONLY task the SF team have.
Some wanted to move somewhere, some wanted to stay. And the CO decides, with the FTL acting on it.
like who stays where in the house, where or what do we engage, etc. Welcome to the world of being an FTL. It's your job.
by putting somebody competent to planning a plan. Not me. Now you know :)

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

IceRaiser wrote:The SF Team has no time to react. 10 seconds invulnerability is enough, run faster.
To be perfectly honest, that's not true. Testing on this mission showed that on lower end computers, the longer loading time actually eats on the invulnerability time. Given that the SF team starts inside Zargabad (which is arguably, performance-wise, the worst place in the armaverse) with a shitton of EI all around, the loading time is usually a bit longer than usual.
Leading to less than 10 seconds of invulnerability.

Although I never died immediately on this mission, I see how it could happen.

Wot I think needs to be noted after this session.

Commitee planners should die by fire.
FTls should follow orders even though they're not ideal. After all, dying horribly is part of the fun. Plus, the SL might have an intent, even though he didn't explain it to you.
Squad leaders don't need to repeat on the squad net what was just said on the squad net.
Please shut up during slotting and planning. Please.
Cherno rabbit needs more angry dudes.
Did I mention you should shut up during slotting and planning?

Oh, and mocking the commanding officers should be enforced. While the Party isn't looking.

Crocuta

Post by Crocuta »

Defense In Depth as Blufor Alpha 1 was my favourite of the night. We accidentally ran over ASL as he was disembarking. Then there was a long trek, tripping flares every few metres until we had the Eastern castle boundary in view, whereupon the enemy laid down some fairly effective fire from our South-West. I couldn't see a damn thing, so tried my best to return fire by sound alone.

tryteyker

Post by tryteyker »

Ice, I understand your concerns but share the same opinion as Mamba. Whilst Guus died and 2 of my people got wounded, I was stuck on Receiving screen. That's a pain, and it can happen to anybody. That's why I was addressing that the SF team should be given more time to react. And no, I obviously don't expect to be able to walk about and be like "happy times lets have a picnic in this mosque while we wait for the army to arrive", but I'd say that being FORCED to move continously would make this mission arguably a bit more interesting for the SF Team, but that's just my opinion.