[Sun] 23 Jun 2013 (A PTSD experience)

How we died
Ferrard Carson

Re: [Sun] 23 Jun 2013 (A PTSD experience)

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Wilson, yes, at the very least remove the thermals on the Apache. Most every mission that involves something with thermals has them disabled simply because they're pretty much an aimbot enabler. Personally, I'd recommend removing the Apache altogether and just using the Chinooks as air support. They did fairly well on their own.

Oh, and why is there a Shilka in the middle of a forest in far Southeastern Chernarus?
Tigershark wrote:BM brings up a good point. Should we maybe also equip medics with GPS?
Huh... funny - I actually remember as far back as my first session, I was constantly stymied as a medic by having to kneel down and open my map every ten paces or so to figure out just where the heck I was going... I shall incorporate it in all missions I make going forward, and I do recommend we add that to F2 / F3.

GPS for Medics... in ALB.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Terminal Boy

Post by Terminal Boy »

What should be SOP for use of smoke to protect/mark the wounded player?

Throw the smoke between the wounded and the enemy to screen, which wouldn't give the Medic a good location for the wounded and might expose the Medic to additional enemy fire?

Drop the smoke right next to the wounded player which gives the Medic an accurate marker and allows the Medic to reach the wounded via the friendly side of the smoke?

Regarding Beach Boys, I think having emplacements that can fire on the boats is fine as those searchlights make them easy targets if the boat gunners are paying attention. I'm happy to be corrected, but I didn't hear any outgoing fire until we powered into the breakwater and someone switched on jumped out to kill the HMG gunner.

Pr3sario

Post by Pr3sario »

I think GPS for medics would be a good idea. I also make a habit of dropping a smoke in the immediate locality of the injured team mate, not really to assist the medics but to stop them taking more bullets, but I can see how this would help the medics find the wounded.

I see a lot of people (I was in this boat too when I started) that don't realise when you are hit you can actually crawl to cover on your own and you don't have to stay writhing on the ground.

When a team mate goes down, especially in a mission where there are a lot of people going down I tend to attempt to get them up as soon as possible before they bleed out while calling in a medic to do the first aid once they are up. Obviously I do this after engaging the enemy and popping some smoke. Maybe I'm just too nice?
I make videos starring you lot. To see yourself live or die just click here

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Ferrard Carson wrote:Wilson, yes, at the very least remove the thermals on the Apache. Most every mission that involves something with thermals has them disabled simply because they're pretty much an aimbot enabler. Personally, I'd recommend removing the Apache altogether and just using the Chinooks as air support. They did fairly well on their own.

Oh, and why is there a Shilka in the middle of a forest in far Southeastern Chernarus?

~ Ferrard
I won't remove the Apache altogether, the host can decide whether to slot it or not. Personally I think it adds to the mission, perhaps they didn't have a hard enough time so thermals will be removed and more threats added.

As for the shilka...there maybe a number dotted around the place, the AO maybe Black Forest but OPFOR are in control of the eastern side of the island ;)

fer

Post by fer »

Pr3sario wrote:When a team mate goes down, especially in a mission where there are a lot of people going down I tend to attempt to get them up as soon as possible before they bleed out while calling in a medic to do the first aid once they are up. Obviously I do this after engaging the enemy and popping some smoke. Maybe I'm just too nice?
If the enemy is still firing upon your position, and the squad medic has been notified, you need to be concentrating on returning that fire; your rifle is the most effective aid you can provide in the short term. Clearly, this is a topic where we can't be dogmatic and common sense prevails - if the wounded player is badly exposed, your FTL can put down smoke; if the squad medic is a long way away, or says s/he'll be a while getting there due to other casualties, you should of course give direct aid (after dragging the person to cover). The overall point is this: unless circumstances are exceptional, a single casualty should not bring the majority of the the FT's firepower offline, or prevent it from moving.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Terminal Boy wrote:What should be SOP for use of smoke to protect/mark the wounded player?

Throw the smoke between the wounded and the enemy to screen, which wouldn't give the Medic a good location for the wounded and might expose the Medic to additional enemy fire?

Drop the smoke right next to the wounded player which gives the Medic an accurate marker and allows the Medic to reach the wounded via the friendly side of the smoke?
I wouldn't go as far as defining any kind of SOP. After all, each situation is gonna be different, sometimes you're hit so hard you know you're gonna bleed out in less than a minute and need immediate help. The smoke itself is big enough so that the medic knows where he's going. It doesn't really matter if it's on top of the dude or ten meters away, it just removes the need for map markers.
What I usually try to do is put the smoke in such a way that the wounded dude has a concealed path towards hard cover if there is any around. If not, then just screen him from wherever you think the fire is coming.

I think the main point is, throw smoke, then resume firing/moving.

Another thing that not everybody might know: despite all its flaws, the medical system we use simulates blood loss and "raw injury" separately. When you start fixing a dude (as a non-medic man), first thing you do is actually stop the bleeding. Then you proceed to very basically heal the wounds, but only a medic can really do that.
What that means is starting first aid, and interrupting it quickly, will earn the wounded comrade a lot of time by reducing his blood loss. The amount of red on your screen is proportionnal to the speed at which you lose blood.

Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Fulcrum - Alpha 1 - AAR?

Pretty straightforward really, A1 advanced mainly along the eastern edge of the main road ramming walls down and what not with its BTR pushing forward shooting stuff as we went before we achieved glorious victory. (fyi - The bit at the start with the Hinds lifting off, then rocketing the enemy before getting shot down - all rather cool.)

Forest Gateau - Bravo Squad - AR

A nice quiet start we advanced spotted some locals who were out for a stroll, we pressed on crossing a road and moving into the next woods, where we spotted some hostiles on the hill to our right so we opened fire and basically they opened fired back, only with mortars, and guns, and mortars, did I mention mortars? It all lead to a pretty traumatic experience as we got shredded by mortars and bullets.

With regard to the AH64 - a bit overkill for the mission, a Littlebird or possibly even a jet with no opportunity to reload might make for a better CAS platform given the wooded terrain and that the hostiles are mainly infantry in the woods as opposed to armour.

Beach Boys - AR

The main highlight for me during this mission was when we were holed up in the factory at the northern end of the mission area when we had the odd T72 rolling past us and we were all trying to shoot down a Hind with M249s and MMGs. (I think somebody scored a hit with a RPG or something?)

Holy Stones - Personal Physican

They had the stones we went to take them and if I remember correctly neither Aziz or Azoz gots them, but they did die next to the stones.

Halted - Local with a gun.

This was a fun mission (and new to me) started right up close with nothing but a enfield against the TKs made for a nice change in tempo - as normally we start off with a lot of running/driving/flying through woods/hills/desert and then shoot stuff in the face, in this mission we started right up close and had to liberate better kit off the dead the trade off being that we kinda have to move u

An actual superior TK army force coming to rescue the TK army might add some additional pressure to the mission given that once we mopped the TK army in the town there wasn't anything else to do but 'flee' to a lamppost out of town.

Cholo (after party)

After getting hopped up on PCPs, I hopped into a car, hopped over to the police station and got shot in the face from behind.

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

fer wrote:The overall point is this: unless circumstances are exceptional, a single casualty should not bring the majority of the the FT's firepower offline, or prevent it from moving.
A thought though: at any given time, a squad will have one medic that can heal, and 2-3 fireteams, 4 strong each, all of whom can administer first aid. Unless we're actively being shot at, isn't it's just resource management to spend 30s of one of the other 8-12 people instead of the one medic? If nothing else, the guy survives for sure, there's less (if any) comms needed and he can now actively seek the medic and return to action faster. I thought that was the whole point of the buddy team and the 2x2 man fireteam.

Not that I don't support greater initiative of the brigade's medical personnel (and fireteams in general), it's just that whenever I was deployed as one, I was told to hang a bit back from the firefight, for obvious reasons.
[/allegedly]

fer

Post by fer »

Aqarius wrote:Unless we're actively being shot at...
If you're not under fire, yes, it makes more sense to administer basic aid within the fireteam. My comments were directed specifically towards scenarios in which the squad remains under fire, and has taken casualties mid-firefight.