Kill your comrades. Wholesale
fer

Re: Feedback: Operation Shockwave

Post by fer »

Sonsalt wrote:sure why not, we can inform ppl on the stuff in the crates and just place them kinda hidden. This should give the terrorists more opportunities to prepare and choose their crates. But I will keep the give away crate. This forces the terrorists to make their move quick and also gives the Bluefor at least some chance to go offensive ;)
Awesome. That's a good compromise: insurgents know what kit they have (and where), but must retrieve it fast or risk losing it to BLUFOR.
Sonsalt wrote:Holsterable weapons are quite good but also quite effective, especially when you manage to sneak up on bluefor units. So I would say for the Teamleaders yes but not for everyone. This would overpower the terrorists.
Rather than restrict the feature to specific slots (which introduces inflexibility), why not give this feature to everyone but ensure the script disables player input for 2 seconds after putting the gun 'in-hand'? This can be explained as the time it takes to assemble/arm the weapon, and gives BLUFOR patrols a visual indicator that the person is pulling out a weapon.
Sonsalt wrote:I think this is the most arguable and most critical point of the whole setup. One the one hand shooting unarmed persons is an absolute no go and needs to be limited as much as possible, but on the other waiting for the terrorists to shoot will most likely bee too late. This basically reflects the reality. See London incident and other real life issues. So proof is needed and arresting should go before shooting.
I agree that waiting for an insurgent to shoot is too late - but there is a difference between determining that a character is a human (insurgent), and them representing a mortal threat to a patrol. Assuming we ...
  • Do not allow invisible suicide vests
  • Implement slowed-down un-holstering (as suggested above)
  • Implement an inventory search script (as you suggest)
  • Implement an arrest/cuff action that can be invoked by BLUFOR players
... then it should be possible to make the shooting of any unarmed human player unacceptable in any circumstance - execpt perhaps after they have been 'arrested/cuffed' and are attempting to escape.

BTW, General Carver and I were chatting about 'cuffing', and had this idea: after being 'cuffed' the player has an 'un-cuff' action added to her/his character, but this cannot be invoked by her/him - it's either done by a BLUFOR player (instantly), or by another insurgent (with a 30 second delay to reflect the lack of a key). So in theory, if a cuffed insurgent escapes (and is not shot dead in the process) s/he can find a friend and get 'un-cuffed'.

Sonsalt wrote:Possible Solution:
Check status of civilians via Script. It should be possible to walk up to any civilian and use a command to "check for Passport" or so. This will reveal the terrorists. Once revealed they can surrender and also via script be restrained or they can try to run. At that point they become legitimate targets.

In my opinion this strikes the balance between the two intrests. If an unarmed terrorists gets shot without being detected (checked) first he counts as civilian and will add to the civilian shot statistic -> resulting in failure.

Problem: What if a terrorist just drops his weapon?
My scrip already accounts for this. If a unit takes a weapon and if that person gets detected, the set captive status will be set to false. This status will only change if the person drops the weapon and hides for a certain amount of time. The same will apply for Real players as the script changes the status towards non AI too. So The terrorist has to run drop his weapon or explosive and hide. After some minutes he will be a civilian again.
I like this.
Sonsalt wrote:Agreed, we can delete the Trucks and maybe the Beardface stuff. This should make the mission easier. Although I was thinking, it might be a good idea to make the Beardface a real person. So to speak your leader. He is in charge of the overall operation and commands his units either from a house or on the field. If he dies the secondary objective gets true. That improves the command structure and is also easier for the terrorists to deal with.
Making Beardface playable would be great. We have a mission called Downed which has a feature we can use; here's the description, and note the feature which creates dynamic 'snapshot' markers:
An asymmetric adversarial: up to 4 players act as the crew of a downed helicopter, attempting to get back to friendly positions during the night. Both sides are armed only with pistols and grenades. At regular intervals map markers snapshot the position and heading of each downed airman (the intervals can be set using the mission parameters).