[F2] Debugging a mysterious marker issue

Kill your comrades. Wholesale
harakka

[F2] Debugging a mysterious marker issue

Post by harakka »

#1, From this AAR:
Ferrard Carson wrote:Note: This is the mission where I had the "IntroImage not found" error, followed by no map-markers showing up for me at all. Slightly troublesome for a CO. I disco'd and recon'd and everything worked properly the second time around. Not rightly sure why any of it happened, and I got no corresponding bug report to work off of.
#2, From the same session and same mission, from another AAR:
Halop wrote:About the mission markers - I did experience a bug in Swept, I saw no Mission maker placed markers, the reconnect as suggested by Wolfenswan fixed the problem. Don't think I was the first to connect, it is possible I was one of the last, as I was downloading the mission for quite some time.
This was on the in-development version of F2 2-7, so there is cause for worry. However I do not for the life of me understand how these could occur:
#1: the folk.paa IntroImage (defined in description.ext) is definitely in the pbo. If the .paa or the resource definition were broken, we'd all have gotten this error.
#1 and #2: mission maker's markers are in the mission.sqm itself, so these definitely should have shown up.

Any ideas on how these could have occurred are welcome.

As a possibly related issue, we suspect there may be a bug hiding somewhere in the F2 group marker system which makes group markers not show at all for people, and we'd love to root that out as well. I've been through folk_setLocalGroupMarkers.sqf with a comb, and my only idea so far is:
On line 23: will

Code: Select all

leader group player
return an invalid unit if the leader is a player, who isn't properly loaded in yet (as in, would not pass the JIP check)? If that's the case, then _unitfaction variable would have a bad value, and thus no group markers would be shown.
Me and him, we're from different ancient tribes. Now we're both almost extinct. Sometimes you gotta stick with the ancient ways, the old school ways. I know you understand me.

Ferrard Carson

Re: [F2] Debugging a mysterious marker issue

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Some video documentation of me experiencing this error:

The error script that accompanied this video, from the last JSRS f***-up message before the relevant script to the first JSRS f***-up message after: http://pastebin.com/hL2Vy04B

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

wolfenswan

Re: [F2] Debugging a mysterious marker issue

Post by wolfenswan »

As a possibly related issue, we suspect there may be a bug hiding somewhere in the F2 group marker system which makes group markers not show at all for people, and we'd love to root that out as well. I've been through folk_setLocalGroupMarkers.sqf with a comb, and my only idea so far is:
On line 23: will
CODE: SELECT ALL
leader group player
return an invalid unit if the leader is a player, who isn't properly loaded in yet (as in, would not pass the JIP check)? If that's the case, then _unitfaction variable would have a bad value, and thus no group markers would be shown.
Iirc both Halop, Bodge and Ferrard were in leading positions when they had issues with the (mission) markers not displaying.

Will including the wait for JIP or a similar wait method to ensure syncing break the group markers?