ACRE in F2 (Radio Reassignment)

Kill your comrades. Wholesale
Macaco

Re: ACRE in F2 (Radio Reassignment)

Post by Macaco »

Carson:
I've never noticed a settings clash between 117s and 148. My only reasoning for recommending a 117 for RTO is it's more realistic to stick him with a backpack type radio rather than a little walkie talkie. And if I remember correctly all but the 343 can talk with each other, so an RTO with a 117 can talk to the SL and FTL with a 148.

Kefirz:
343 has 16 channels, everything else has 100 channels. (I suppose more if you can change frequency rather than channel, but I have never diddled with that)

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Macaco wrote:Carson:
I've never noticed a settings clash between 117s and 148. My only reasoning for recommending a 117 for RTO is it's more realistic to stick him with a backpack type radio rather than a little walkie talkie. And if I remember correctly all but the 343 can talk with each other, so an RTO with a 117 can talk to the SL and FTL with a 148.
Thanks for the clarification, Macaco. And yeah, you're right, everything other than the -343 can yak with one another. And backpack radios are Cool!
Kefirz wrote:(I just read the thread again and it looks like there might be a solution to this by removing the inter FT channels so it would be a grand total of 4 channels, but how well does shouting work in ACRE? I have never tried it :D is it like local VON? If it is then that is rubbish)
ACRE VON is absolutely fantastic, since it runs through TS3. Just look at ST vids for good examples of what sort of magic ACRE brings to the field of "Yelling at dudes from across a field." Leaps and bounds above default ArmA VON - leaps and bounds.

Much-improved Direct Communications being the case, it seems that most groups use a single PRC-343 channel as a squad-wide net. So a sample comms layout for some group using F2 would be as follows:
  • Commander - PRC-117 for yakking with Squads and Support Elements, PRC-343 for yakking with the Medic and any hanger's on.
  • Alpha Squad Leader - PRC-148 for yakking with Command / other Squads, PRC-343 for yakking with Alpha Squad
  • Alpha 1 FTL - PRC-343 for yakking with Alpha Squad, Direct Comms for yelling at his three dudes
  • Alpha 1 AR - PRC-343 for hearing Squad comms, Direct Comms for yelling at his AAR to stand still so he can get more ammo.
Adding PRC-148's to all FTLs is something to look at. I could go either way, so I suppose including it but commenting it out would be a good step, but one of the magical things about having only one PRC-148 per squad is that if the SL goes down, then people have to scramble to retrieve his radio :dance: Also, if squads have just the one -148, they're pretty much barred from splitting forces in a significant way.

Either way, most groups only need the one 343 channel per squad, since direct comms are so vastly improved.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Macaco

Post by Macaco »

Ferrard Carson wrote: Adding PRC-148's to all FTLs is something to look at. I could go either way, so I suppose including it but commenting it out would be a good step, but one of the magical things about having only one PRC-148 per squad is that if the SL goes down, then people have to scramble to retrieve his radio :dance: Also, if squads have just the one -148, they're pretty much barred from splitting forces in a significant way.
It's sorta like the difference between having FTLs on CC or not. Thought FTLs can just tap a key to get on CC, as opposed to hunting down a body/radio in ACRE.