[Mission feedback] The Colonels

Kill your comrades. Wholesale
Draakon

[Mission feedback] The Colonels

Post by Draakon »

Besides the obvious No notes and being able to use IVD bugs (which are fixed) what other feedback do people have about the said mission?

Macaco

Re: [Mission feedback] The Colonels

Post by Macaco »

From my little nest in the hill I didn't see much, but from what I hear aziz and azoz look just like everyone else on their teams. I'd give them unique models so they are more recognizable.

Draakon

Post by Draakon »

I don't know. Based on what I have seen from Generals, if the players see the enemy general, they will absolutely concentrate on him, and him alone. So I am keeping Azoz and Aziz models as is for now. Besides, might give a bit of interesting gameplay, not knowing where exactly the enemy colonel is (besides the obvious hint when he gets inside the pavilion).

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Well I don't know either, but macaco's idea sounds pretty good to me! Having the Colonel quite obvious forces the tem to hide him at all times, and build their tactics around the fact that if he's spotted by the enemy they will try to gun him down, whether right now it feels more like a random kill just ended the mission.
I was Azoz in that one, found Aziz hiding under a bus (What the hell.) and I was like S#@t guys there's a dude under the bus so some body shot him in the face. But had I known it was Aziz, we would have gone for a duel, no doubt!
For example, I built my tactics by having one FT assigned as my own protection detail, and the other one as a hunter team, whose sole goal was to find Aziz (and Macaco as an improvised sniper, which did help us a lot by giving us some good intel as to where the enemy was). But that hunter team ended up being quite useless in regards to their original objective, as my instructions were "If you find them, wait for Aziz to show up and shoot him down". And I had to finally ask them to move back to our position and kill everyone. Which they did.

Draakon

Post by Draakon »

Black Mamba wrote:Well I don't know either, but macaco's idea sounds pretty good to me! Having the Colonel quite obvious forces the tem to hide him at all times, and build their tactics around the fact that if he's spotted by the enemy they will try to gun him down,
And why/how should the tactics change if he looks like the rest of us or if he is like a shore thumb in a big area? Just the matter of fact that CO's life alone depends on the success of the mission should mean he is a VIP person that should hide himself and use his assets to get himself to the bus pavilion or to protect him.
whether right now it feels more like a random kill just ended the mission.
Same could be said for 50% of the time for Generals, since it being night time, both Generals actually look quite similar to their subordinates (besides the obvious hat), they can be very much confused by both sides, especially when people don't use NVG's (even though they have them).
I was Azoz in that one, found Aziz hiding under a bus (What the hell.) and I was like S#@t guys there's a dude under the bus so some body shot him in the face.
Poor thinking on daf's part I'd say. He clearly rushed the very exposed side of the bus pavilion, without support and with Independent having 1 fireteam (then did opfor as well, but they got killed) moving from that same flank, with the CO (you!) behind them, as the CO should (in every mission IMO).
But had I known it was Aziz, we would have gone for a duel, no doubt!
Poor thinking on your part I'd say. That would expose you too much and give Opfor the ample opportunity to kill you.
For example, I built my tactics by having one FT assigned as my own protection detail, and the other one as a hunter team, whose sole goal was to find Aziz (and Macaco as an improvised sniper, which did help us a lot by giving us some good intel as to where the enemy was). But that hunter team ended up being quite useless in regards to their original objective, as my instructions were "If you find them, wait for Aziz to show up and shoot him down". And I had to finally ask them to move back to our position and kill everyone. Which they did.
Lets say both sides had the same idea. Now, Independent side's hunter team saw both Aziz and his protection detail. Knowing fully that Aziz was there, they would only concentrate on him, thus half ignoring the protection detail which then gives a high change the hunter team will get dealt with ease.

Unlike Generals, Colonels is about "Who makes the first bad move? Can you turn a bad mistake into a good one?". That's the idea for this mission.

daf

Post by daf »

Black Mamba wrote:I was Azoz in that one, found Aziz hiding under a bus (What the hell.) and I was like S#@t guys there's a dude under the bus so some body shot him in the face. But had I known it was Aziz, we would have gone for a duel, no doubt!
By that stage I had already been reduced to 2 people (including me) and was not in fact hiding next to the bus but somewhat bleeding out.

My initial idea was simply to have one team over-watching the bus stop as one would go in to look for Azoz attack dogs! unfortunately I quickly lost both fireteams and ended up being surprised by the police which was who I thought had killed me.

Edit: Also remembered I runned in the bus station to get a police car and drive around trying to spot Azoz as so far I had not seen him at all.

Since I usually record for the video archive you can see my side here:

Macaco

Post by Macaco »

Draakon wrote:if the players see the enemy general, they will absolutely concentrate on him, and him alone.
Draakon wrote:And why/how should the tactics change if he looks like the rest of us or if he is like a sore thumb in a big area?
You answered your own question right there. As a compromise you could make it something subtle, like a beret instead of a helmet, but not so far as to be a warlord model among UN troops.

As is having them the same actually reduces gameplay potential, because the only way to find and kill aziz\zoz is to just kill everyone you see and hope you get lucky, where as a unique model could open it up more to more complex things, such as an ambush "Okay there is his guard, hold fire until we have visual on ziz"

I do like the "get to X and hold out" idea, though I also think 5 minutes is a bit too long given that one team will kill everyone else on the other team by that time. Perhaps 1 or 2 minutes, to create a more urgent "Oh shit he's there, we gotta go now!"

But this is just my opinion, it's your mission.

Also I wanna see daf's Alpha1 view, because I was up in the hills lighting them up and they never really returned fire, but I saw a few of them go down. I'm curious how much was my doing and how much was the other fire teams doing.