Request to Adversarial Mission Makers.

Kill your comrades. Wholesale
EBass

Request to Adversarial Mission Makers.

Post by EBass »

We've got a few missions on the server where the two sides look for all intents and purposes identical. Maybe I'm alone in this but I find this a pretty irritating case of affairs as it makes IFF pretty much impossible. Yes you can check the map for squad markers and I always do that, but that only shows the location of the group leader. If you're in close contact with the enemy and you run into a building and see someone lying on the floor you either shoot, or if you don't you usually get shot because your team-mate is as jumpy as you, and just seen someone he doesn't know storm into his building pointing a gun around.

I know in real life often the combatants particularly in guerilla civil war type conflicts look the same, but this isn't real life and having appropriatly differentiated uniforms really doesn't hurt anything and makes life easier for everyone.

Thoughts?

StrangLove

Re: Request to Adversarial Mission Makers.

Post by StrangLove »

A good deal of 'same-clothes' advs have the Nametag function enabled - http://ferstaberinde.com/f2/en/index.ph ... =Name_Tags
It's switched on by pressing 'T', and gives close-in nametags for avoiding FF. A good tip for any mission-makers making same-clothes advs is to enable this, it makes everyone's enjoyment a lot less stilted by friendly fire.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Obviously overlooked this in Fuel Utopia. Will do.

Although there's one thing that needs to be noted, and that's buggering me when making adv missions: the backpacks.
With the workshops and stuff, we tend to use a lot more ammo, and I'd like, in most adversarials I make, to have people able to use those suppression tactics and such. At the moment, only OA or later units support backpacks. Now if you're aiming at a non-military engagement, you're kinda stuck with the TK guerilla and insurgent, who are basically the same, except for the camo. (that's the case in Internecine, for instance)

Other thing, the ambiance. Fuel Utopia, has a particular design in which armies (and uniforms) have nothing to do. The civies were a quite obvious choice (although I'll try and find a trick to make them appear as BLUFOR, for slotting purposes), and the A2 guerilla were the closest I could find to raiders. I'll change that to more common units though.

Another thought: PMC units are way underused (I'll look into them for Fuel Utopia) and you can make-do with them for a lot of scenarios.

Finally, and it's still something that's sometimes bugging me in such defense adversarials (I think about Swept, last time). Most of the time, if a dude storms my building I'm gonna shoot him anyway, whatever uniform he's wearing. Then I'll realize my error. But the problem lies within the lack of comms (and the difficulty to use direct comms) and the people that just can't seem to stop moving when defending a position.
Last time we played Swept, there was that one dude that kept me very jumpy at all times, because he wouldn't stop entering and leaving my building, and running around it, and coming back in, and so on. Had he tried to move up, to the first floor where I was, I'd have probably shot him immediately, and it was bugging me so much that I couldn't just watch the direction I was supposed to be watching.
IMO, your FTL gives you a position, you take that position and stop moving. Whenever you're gonna leave the building, enter a new building, you gotta make sure the relevant dudes know about it.

daf

Post by daf »

The PMC and BAF units do require their respective DLC too look all pretty which not everyone has, which might account for their lesser usage.

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

Isn't there some cosmetic item (such as a different coloured helmet or somesuch) so that units from the same side could still be recognised?

I'd really like this. In particular, I am thinking about a mission where everybody is on the same side. Except for THE TRAITORS, which would get dynamically and secretly assigned at mission start. My idea would be to assign squads/FTLs as traitors depending on playercount, so there would need to be a way to differentiate which squad is which.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Helmets, I don't know. There is a way to change the camo on the TK guerilla, though (e.g you can give them some kind of red/blue chasuble). I'll elaborate on that later. The issue is it generally can't be seen from far away, due to engine limitations, but I guess it's more of a close range problem anyway.
Regarding the traitor kinda stuff, I've made a mission exploring that concept quite some time ago. AFAIK it's never been tested, but it might be on the old ARPS server, and there's a download link on the ARPS forum. You could have a look at it if you need. I believe it's called Friend or Faux.