AI Doesn't work when very distant to nearest human player.

Kill your comrades. Wholesale
feanix

AI Doesn't work when very distant to nearest human player.

Post by feanix »

So, I suspect this is just something built into the engine.

I've been playing around with adding UAV operators to some of my missions to see how useful they are. Let's say there's a place on the map, a nice, flat area with no cover. Let's call it Position Grayskull.

So the Human controlled UAV operator is set in a Terminal Humvee 5km away from Position Grayskull. Two squads of AI, one Blufor, one Opfor, are heading towards Position Grayskull. They are in the normal combat mode that the AI spawns in.

Now the UAV Operator has a UAV orbiting 500m up at a 500m radius. He's watching Position Grayskull. The UAV is not human controlled. The only way that the UAV Controller is getting info is from a camera attached to the UAV.

In tests I've noticed that the AI never attack each other. They'll even sit next to each other, happily crouched and "eating smores and painting henna patterns on each other", to paraphrase Ferrard.

When I play as a human and move from a position 1km away from Position Grayskull and move towards Position Grayskull I find that when I approach the area where the two squads are that I'll suddenly hear an explosion of gunfire as the two squads suddenly realize "Oh, shit! We're enemies!" Or so I suspect.

TL;DR: Is there any way to make enemy AI squads recognize and engage enemy AI squads at longer ranges?

Black Mamba

Re: AI Doesn't work when very distant to nearest human playe

Post by Black Mamba »

AFAIK the only way is to have a better CPU capacity.
The better the CPU, the higher the FPS, the further the AI should be treated normally. When you think about it, it's not that stupid: in single player, you shouldn't worry too much about what's happening 5 km away.

Just remember that if you test on your computer, and if that mission is designed to be played on a dedicated server, the performance gap will be huge. The dedicated server (or the headless client) presents no playable entity, and thus will treat every AI on the map the same way. Plus it doesn't have any rendering to do.

feanix

Re: AI Doesn't work when very distant to nearest human playe

Post by feanix »

Ah, that's good to know! Cheers!