The Revolution and You(tube)

All Party-approved topics welcome
fer

Re: The Revolution and You(tube)

Post by fer »

Dogface wrote:Also, I propose that we call this initiative/the finished product: Folk ARPS TV.
Assuming the editorial and release approaches are sanctioned by the Politburo, I think this is possible. Time to seek out Super and Ferrard in the first instance, and the wider Politburo afterwards.

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

I've messaged Super and Ferrard so hopefully we'll hear their thoughts soon. :)

Crocuta

Post by Crocuta »

I record almost everything, but even a few GB is a stretch for me to upload. Also, the resolution is always 1440x900 (16:10).

The easiest way for me to contribute footage is if a request is put out for a mission and I can snip out a couple of highlight clips without re-encoding.

EDIT: Or actually, I could stupidly compress a 100 mb preview version and have the editor choose time stamps for me to cut out and send, but I'm getting ahead of myself here.

Pr3sario

Post by Pr3sario »

A few things to consider on this (courtesy of a chat I had with dancemoox)

- We need to make sure all contributors are registered with BI to use the footage from the game - talk to Dwarden if you want to know more.

- Be aware of copyright issues i.e. using music we are not allowed to - especially if the video is deemed good enough to be used by the Party for propaganda purposes, we don't want the official channel getting a copyright strike.

- These videos should not be monetised on personal YouTube channels - I don't want to get involved in a massive who gets what in terms of £$£

- A base line for settings in game needs to be established - i.e post processing effects (on/off), and to a lesser extent terrain and texture qualities.

Dogface, for me a forum is the equivalent of leaving a note on the village noticeboard - you put it out there and then you wait. Forums have their place for things like guidelines and for reference. Some sort of live Skype/Steam channel would be a good idea for Party cinematographers in general I think - even outside this initiative.

I find this whole thing seriously exciting but we need to make sure we meet the politburos expectations and put all necessary structures in place first I think.
I make videos starring you lot. To see yourself live or die just click here

AkKind

Post by AkKind »

Alright I would say we get a skype chat together and discuss this more detailed and present our results here?

Unfortunately I barely have anyone from FA added in skype so someone else would have to open that chat.

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

All excellent points, Pr3sario. agreed. I don't tend to use 'hangout' type setups very often but if anyone sets one up I will gladly use it!

Crocuta, I'm sure we can work something out - the different resolution should be workable and it'd be fine for you or the editors to pick out especially noteworthy bits of your footage to include.

About settings, I'd think we can leave some leeway for people's preferences, and it might even help to differentiate the different viewpoints. I can see the virtue of maybe mandating post-processing off, since it tends not to work too well with video compression, but in terms of texture quality etc, well, my rig kind of struggles to reach a worthwhile framerate (20FPS+) as it is, and I'd imagine other potential recorders might face the same problem. With that said if it's decreed that footage must be high-quality, which I can see the wisdom of, I guess I'd have to wait till I got a new MoBo/CPU.. <:) But maybe at least at these initial stages, we could go easy on that.

Also my Skype is miles.bg.potter and my Steam ID is mefi_dogface.

Pr3sario

Post by Pr3sario »

Hey Dogface,

Would it be worth trying to get some regular YouTubers on the FA TS to discuss this? Suggest asking Fer, Ferrard and SuperU to come along and provide guidance on what they'd expect from us in terms of representing the Party to the world?

Then those guys can leave (or hang around of course) then we can talk about the nitty gritty of getting the footage together?

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Sounds like a plan! Let's aim for something like 8pm tonight, but I/we can hang around there for a while to see who turns up -- if no-one's available we can see about coming up with a way to get everyone together on a different day.

Pr3sario

Post by Pr3sario »

I'm free and will be around on TS. I'll put word out to the party propaganda team too.

Fluffeh

Post by Fluffeh »

I think this could be really cool, so I figured I'd add my support to it.

I'll also toss in my two cents on standardizing: I support 720p 30FPS MP4 (largely because it's what I record in) as a baseline format, though obviously people can record at higher spec if they want. Some level of mod standardization would probably be good too, especially when it comes to the use of sound mods like JSRS.
It's not gay if you have combat boots on.