The Morning War (Dynamic Adversarial Campaign)

All Party-approved topics welcome
Ferrard Carson

The Morning War (Dynamic Adversarial Campaign)

Post by Ferrard Carson »

This is the thread in which I will chronicle the progression and storyline of my "Morning War" campaign of adversarials. The Morning War missions are snapshots within the context of a massive conventional war between the Russian Federation and the recently re-established and stabilized Kingdom of Takistan. This campaign is dynamic in that the results of each match matter in my creation of the next mission. The plot progresses largely due to who wins a particular mission, and assets are moderately persistent - if your side is assigned a BTR-60, for example, and you keep it alive to the end of the mission, then win or lose, that side may have that same BTR-60 available for their use in the next mission.

The Road to War

Relations between the Kingdom of Takistan and the Russian Federation have been strained over the past two years as the Royal Takistani family consolidated control under the watchful eye of Western forces. Even as the U.S. Army withdraws and life returns to normal for the citizens of Takistan's cities, the tribesmen in outlying areas, such as the border between Zargabad province and the Russian controlled South Ussetia, have been restless in the presence of so many foreigners. Inter-tribal conflict has been simmering for months, sometimes catching UN observers, Private Military Contractors, or even Russian military patrols in the crossfire. These tribal conflicts know no borders, and the Russian Federation has responded suspiciously to Takistani claims that the skirmishes are not sanctioned by the Kingdom.

As part of their response, Russia's 41st Army has been deployed to forward positions just west of the Takistani-Russian DMZ, supported by FOBs Slon, Ladya, and Kon. The 41st Army is specifically trained for operations in and around the Middle East, every soldier a volunteer and versed in at least one dialect of the Takistani language. The 41st Army is supported by forward reconnaissance outposts maintained along the border by VDV of the 31st Guards Airborne Brigade. In addition, Russian high command has quietly ordered the movement of the elite 74th Guards Motor Rifle Brigade into South Ussetia. Only time will tell whether this is an overt threat to the Kingdom of Takistan, or merely a maskirovka for other strategic moves.

The Kingdom of Takistan, meanwhile, has been measured in its efforts, deploying only small detachments of its fledgling professional army to nearby bases. At the vanguard of the Takistani defense are members of the 3rd International Fighting Brigade of Takistan in the Name of Che Guevara, dressed as a paramilitary militia, and equipped with surplus western weaponry purchased at a discount from the American government. Based out of Zargabad and several outlying military bases, elements of the 3rd IFBTNCG have been patrolling the DMZ, with specially trained lookouts masquerading as goat herders to provide early warning of any potential Russian move. The Takistani defense is quite international in flavor: Several squads of German KSK commandos have been providing direct training and operational planning to the Takistani's, while aerial support and a good deal of security and logistics have been under the purview of western mercenaries on contract with the Kingdom of Takistan, chief among them, ION, Inc. It's rumored that the ION contract even has provisions for continued employment if open warfare breaks out, but the sole reporter pursuing this story received no comment from the Royal Family or ION representatives.

Finally, United Nations Forces in Takistan (UNFORT) established a peacekeeping presence in Takistan in conjunction with the American departure. In the Zargabad region, they established a forward operating base in the ruins south of the city, patrolling the hillsides and mountain passes in an effort to quell the sectarian and tribal conflict. Derogatory terms quickly arose among the American and British private contractors, one of which has stuck - the UN base is formally called "Smurfville" after every effort by UNFORT to establish a more professional name was rejected outright by the local populace.

0400, September 19th - What Kind of Day Has it Been?

Tensions were high in the wee hours of this September morning. A nameless VDV sniper trained his scope out across the DMZ. In the distance, he could see the flare of a Takistani's cigarette as the local tended to his goats. Across the DMZ, that Takistani sentry dragged hard on his cancer stick, staring off into the dark. He'd fought the Russians four years ago. Now they were back to haunt him again. The old wound ached, as it always did in the cold.

Two miles away

"Pre-flight check is complete, Koch is aboard, his secretaries are aboard. We're good to go Chenko." The co-pilot reached up and flipped on the running lights as Chenko spooled up the engine and radioed for clearance from Smurfville Tower. It was granted, and the Mi-17 lumbered into the air like a drunken bird. Through the crew chief's intercom, he could hear Koch and his harem of secretaries laughing in the back.

How would the Russians receive this misogynist, oft-drugged pig of an ambassador? This visit to Russian lines was already delayed by a week because of Koch's particular brand of personal amusement, and then the chopper flight itself was ten hours late. The second delay was a necessity after the ambassador had imbibed half of a liquor cabinet one of the Peacekeepers found in the ruins. Then again, if a bottle had been saved for the occasion, then Koch might fit right in with the Ruskies.

"Wonder if we'll be able to see the wrecks..." Chenko mused from the pilot's seat. He'd always been one for history. The co-pilot looked at the GPS readout and ran the numbers. "Should be over Khalid Pass in a minute or so. I'll take the bird if you want to sightsee." "Sure. Your bird." "My bird."

The chopper jerked slightly as the cyclic responded to the transfer of control and a different set of pressures took over. Chenko craned his head forward, peering into the darkness ahead, eager to see the wreckage of a four-year-old war. The co-pilot smiled as the chopper lazily flew on.

The air outside flashed white and the world exploded, a mule kicking the small of the co-pilot's back. Screams erupted from the back and the crew chief started blabbering with a strange wet sound in his voice. The co-pilot swung his cyclic around, feeling for control feedback - he couldn't feel the rudder movements in his legs-- he couldn't feel his legs, but for a dull ache in the middle of his back. Chenko was frantically screaming into the radio as the co-pilot struggled to bring the dying chopper around, looking at the ground for a flat spot to land - all he saw were old fortifications and the wrecks Chenko had been so keen on seeing. He looked over his shoulder and saw the crew chief's neck laid open like a grotesque second mouth--

Elsewhere

The Takistani sentry saw the second missile smash square into the cockpit. The VDV sniper saw the chopper plow tail-first into the ground. Both men reached for their radios.

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

m0ntag

Re: The Morning War (Dynamic Adversarial Campaign)

Post by m0ntag »

This sounds awesome! I love the idea of persistent gear and such! And the plotline seems pretty nice too. This could become a veritable epic. 10/10, would play.
I don't like the term 'Medic'. I prefer 'Fun Enabler' or 'Maximum Fun Ensurance Counselor'. What's more fun than being shot once? Being shot twice.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/m0ntag
whitesymphonia wrote:I know that I can count on m0ntag to save my ass when wounded...

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Administrivia Record
Prologue - "Khalid Pass"
- Russians: 1, Takistanis: 2, no persistent assets involved

0532 hours, local time, Camp Dixon, Zargabad Province, Kingdom of Takistan

“Listen up,” Dietrich said. “This just got a lot more complex.”

Around the fire, heads nodded in weary agreement.

“A little over an hour ago, a UN helicopter crashed in the DMZ. Naturally, rather than wait for a neutral arbiter to examine the site, both the Russians and Takistanis sent armed regulars into the area where they-- wait for it-- opened fire on one another. As far as we can tell, the Takistanis seized and maintained the high ground in the area, and the Russian patrol was forced to retreat with heavy casualties. Now as I'm sure you've heard, the Takistanis are screaming murder about territorial sovereignty, the smurfs believe the Takistanis and now think they've been betrayed by a member of their own security council, and the Russians have gone silent. InOps doesn't like when the Russians go silent.”

“This is why.” The photos laid out in the dirt before them were clear as day. “These HumInt photos are about half an hour old-- no, I haven't a clue how InOps managed that much efficiency, but here it is. An armed Mi-8 of the 31st Guards Airborne landing at the Russian FOB just over the border. More telling is the insignia barely visible on the side of the nearest BMP-3. Those are Bronegruppas from the 74th Guards Motor Rifle Brigade. InOps was wrong in last week's briefing, the 74th is here, and from the preparedness we see from these photos, they aren't here for the sightseeing and cuisine.”

“The Takistanis are gearing up too – the full 3rd International Fighting Brigade of Takistan in the Name of Che Guevara has been called to active duty, and elements of their 1st and 4th armies will be assembling east of Zargabad. Let's be honest here; they may have beaten back a squad or two of Russians at Khalid Pass, but the regular Royal Takistani Army doesn't have the logistical backbone to stand in the way of the Russians for long.”

“So here's where we come in?” Johann asked.

Dietrich nodded. “Here's where we come in. The UN has a chance of talking Russia down. The Chancellor herself has given us direct orders to assist the Takistanis in disrupting Russian lines of communication. This will hopefully buy the Smurfs the time they need. They'll eventually figure out how to slow the Russians from their warpath, whether that be through negotiations or the threat of intervention.”

“UNFORT vs. The Russian Federation in a game of armed chicken?” Johann scoffed. “I'm not taking the odds on that.”

Herr Doktor said, “If UNFORT doesn't have the time to talk Russia down, the Royal Takistanis are going to melt before the 41st Army. The Takis can't stop them, the Smurfs can't stop them, and we can't stop them. Not on our own. You know what that'll mean.”

Dietrich shook his head. “Let's hope it doesn't come to that. You're briefed for now. Get breakfast, we'll get more details later as they come in.”

“Yeah... let's.”

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

I only wonder if Takis might ambush a convoy of vital supplies hence reducing Russian combat efficiency, and looks like Western bloc is going to support rebels again.. smells like Afghanistan in 1979 again :laugh:

''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott