Streaming for Folk ARPS

All Party-approved topics welcome
Barrow

Streaming for Folk ARPS

Post by Barrow »

Welcome, comrade! If you are here, it is likely that you've expressed a desire to assist in the propaganda effort as a war correspondent. We will endeavour to provide you with the necessary tools and training to properly capture your comrades' glorious charges.

This looks a bit familiar...
Certainly you are referring to your encounter with glorious comrade Ferrard Carson. That was an excellent lesson on how to appropriately redact information for general consumption, but today we are focusing on live broadcasts.

Okay, so what do I need?
There are any number of ways to get media to the masses, but the Party suggests the use of Open Broadcaster Software, or OBS for short. It is completely free, feature-rich, and frequently updated. The rest of this lesson works off of the assumption that you are utilizing OBS.

Alright, so how does this thing work?
Unfortunately, this doesn't fall within the scope of today's lesson. However, there are many useful resources on how to configure and get the most out of OBS available elsewhere.

So, if you're not going to tell me how to use it...
Comrade, you are here to learn how best to conform your media to Party standards! For example, here is some early sample footage from the field:

What do I need to make my broadcasts appear like this?
The first thing you require are the assets and plugins that make this work. Start by downloading them here. Inside this archive, you will find several folders that each require a small amount of tweaking to utilize properly.

The first folder in it is called "AppData - OBS".
This is the scene information for OBS. Open your "Run" menu (Press your Windows key & 'r'), and type the following:
%AppData%
Press OK, and a folder will open. If you have Windows XP, you should have a folder called Roaming; open this. If you are on Windows 7 or up, you'll already be in the Roaming folder and can skip this. From here, open the folder called OBS.

If you've just installed OBS, or do not mind your scenes being overwritten, copy the file from your downloaded "AppData - OBS\scenes.xconfig" into the OBS folder you just navigated to, overwriting the current file. If you want to keep your scenes but add the Folk ARPS ones, you'll need to edit the files in Notepad.

Okay, that was a bit of work. How about the "Assets" folder?
You can put this one anywhere, comrade. It contains the image files you'll be using in your scenes; we'll come back to this at the end.

Moving on, "Program Files - OBS"?
This folder has a single zip file in it. We're going to extract it into your OBS install directory (usually "C:\Program Files\OBS" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\OBS").

Last one... "Program Files - Teamspeak"?
The same as our last step, we'll be extracting this into our Teamspeak directory (usually "C:\Program Files\TeamSpeak 3 Client").

Is that all?
Not so fast; we need to do a little configuration first to get everything working in unison, like any good collectivist society. First we'll configure Teamspeak to report the number of users involved in our effort. Launch Teamspeak, open your Settings menu, and choose Plugins. In the new window that appears, make sure that "Lua Plugin" is checked, then hit the Settings button and make sure that only "userlist" is checked (unless you use Lua plugins for something else).

Done. Now am I ready to start streaming?
Very nearly. The last step is to configure OBS; launch OBS, and choose the Plugins button. From this new window, select "OBS Scene Switcher" and press the Configure button. At the top of the window, in the "Window title to check for:" section, type:
ArmA 2 OA
Be sure to use the appropriate capitalization. Choose the drop-down menu next to it, and select "Folk ARPS - In Game"; this will cause OBS to automatically swap to the appropriate scene when you're in ArmA. Hit the Add button to save this setting.

Now look for the option "When no window title matches", and choose "switch to:", and set the drop-down menu to "Folk ARPS - Out of Game". Finally, either choose "Start at launch if possible" (not suggested if you stream anything other than Folk ARPS), or set a hotkey to toggle Scene Switcher on and off. Press "OK" to return to the main OBS window.

What gives? I only have a black screen now.
Comrade, recall when I mentioned that we'd be getting back to the Assets folder?

We need to do some final tweaks on our scenes to correctly locate our image files. Select the "Folk ARPS - In Game" scene, then right-click on Logo and choose Properties. In the new screen, choose "Browse", and locate your "Assets\logo_folk_arps_small.png" file. Choose this file, press OK, then repeat this on the "Folk ARPS - Out of Game" scene for the Logo (logo_folk_arps.png) and BG (FolkBGgradient.png).

Okay, all done. Now can I start streaming? Pretty please?
Of course comrade, and good luck. Please be sure to coordinate with your session's hosts, however, as well as informing your comrades that they will be on live television; an informed soldier is a happy soldier.