Folk Workshops

Epic fail avoidance
Tigershark

Re: Folk Workshops

Post by Tigershark »

Thanks all for attending. I'd appreaciate any feedback you have along with suggestions for things you want to work on.
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Lovely Workshop, today! It was a lot more fun than one would think just running through the drills and figuring out that we've got a lot to learn about the difference between "Right" and "Left." Here's some neat footage:

In terms of ideas for future workshops, I really want to see us practice scouting or observation skills. I'm just not sure how to do that on a team level :confused:

A simpler thing to do would be to coordinate a BOF fireteam and a maneuver fireteam. Suppressing targets while the maneuver element gets into place and then shifting fire as the maneuver element assaults.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Had mximum trouble with mah connection and disconnected in order to not mess up everybody's experience.
So, having missed basically the whole thing, i'm not sure about what was actually covered and what was not, so indulge me if i'm totally off, but here are some points i would see improved in the future:
- vehicle mounting/dismounting simple drills (goes for light vehicles, APCs, and choppers).
- casualty drills (we often see much confusion with people being treated on the spot without any use of smoke/suppressive fire)
- and maybe in the future: post-firefight drills (casualty assessments, reloading and ammo distribution, all round security)

Both my fireteam leaders in the coops yesterday participated in that workshop, and it was greatly appreciated on the field. (in Internecine, my FTL, was Fer, so that doesn't count, he's not good. He can't stop bullets coming my way.)
My 2 cents.

Oh, yeah, and building clearance too. You know, some simple slice the pie stuff, how to stack up and how to breach.

head

Post by head »

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

There will be another Workshop today, again starting 1 hour before FOLK.
Don't worry if you missed last time.

Today will focus on:
Fireteam movement
Using a HMMW as a fireteam
Target Comms
CQC
(if there's time)

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

After the roaring success that was Special Tactics Charlie Squad in Rolling Matryoshka this past Sunday, I'd like to again register my belief that we need to practice coordinating two separate elements in an assault - one element to provide suppressing fire, one to assault, with emphasis on the support-by-fire element shifting fire along with the assault element's movement once they are on the objective. If we can go into this level of detail, it'd be great to have the two elements in separate teamspeak channels, with only the leaders able to cross-talk via CC.

Yes, this is directly modeled on Charlie very nearly pasting Bravo with the tail end of our insane suppression of Hill Malinovka.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

Ferard,
I totally agree with you and we will build to that. But wee need to walk befor we can run. There are so many fundamentals we need to practice before we get there. It won't be too far off though. Perhaps when FT drills become to laborious we will make it squad level drills.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

Next workshop will focus on:

-M203 shooting
-Comms around target identification
-Dealing with wounded FT members
-More Humvee training
-More movement through urban terrain (you will be shot at.....by humans...I promise you)

I promise to fix the issues with the locked vehicles.

Things I have planned for the future. We'll get there...we just need some basics drilled into us first.

-Effective use of the M2 on the Humvees.
-Vehicle convoy movement
-Helo mounting and dismounting
-Ambush tactics
-Squad level movement and combat tactics
-Squad Level movement

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Yeah well. Let's not practice too much. We might end up actually being effective. Now, we wouldn't want that, would we.

Seriously, that's all good news, and thanks again, Tiger, for taking the time to organize all that!

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Some future workshop topics that I'd be willing to work with include:
- Working with Armored Vehicles
- Forward Air Controlling (calling in Air Support that will A - kill bad guys, and B - not kill yours)
- Commanding, Driving, and Gunning armored vehicles

#2 will likely not see much use in Folk's current infantry-emphasis due to the rarity of rotary- or fixed-wing support, but No. 1 and 3 were demonstrated both well and poorly in this past session's run of "UNecessary Violence." I feel as though we're not using our armored assets to their fullest extent in missions that involve them (see Rolling Matryoshka two weeks ago, which very quickly turned into "Walking Matryoshka"), and I'd like to see if we can improve their utility by imparting some knowledge of effective coordination with armor (and effective independent action of armor).

Also, something we might consider is a series of mass-practice ranges with 203 targets and AT targets and whatnot just for fun. Infinite box of AT4's and RPG's and grenade launcher rounds.

Thoughts?

~ Ferrard