DLC, expansions and free stuff, oh my!

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
Thirith

DLC, expansions and free stuff, oh my!

Post by Thirith »

In case people haven't heard about this yet, here are BI's plans for Arma 3's future:

http://www.bistudio.com/english/company ... map-201415

Edited for plausible deniability.
Last edited by Thirith on Fri May 02, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Until now we scraped along the ground like rats, but from now on, we soar. Like eagles. Yeah. LIKE EAGLES... ON... POGO STICKS." - Grim Fandango

IceRaiser

Re: DLC, expansions and free stuff, oh my!

Post by IceRaiser »

Redacted as per 483.11c
//Department of Internal Correction and Surveillance

Thirith

Post by Thirith »

I... :( :? ... don't know what you mean.
"Until now we scraped along the ground like rats, but from now on, we soar. Like eagles. Yeah. LIKE EAGLES... ON... POGO STICKS." - Grim Fandango

IceRaiser

Post by IceRaiser »

Good, carry on.

Medic Eugene Roe

Post by Medic Eugene Roe »

I for one am excited. Although, I wonder what particular weapons can be fired from vehicles? Just rifles? Pistols, rockets? What about sealed off vehicles? Will windows roll down when soldiers put their guns up? So many questions.

One question for the party, though. When the time comes, will we employ TKOH FM or not? I for one, am terrified of it because I'm terrible at flying with it, but on the other hand, pilots like myself would have an excuse (sort of) for crashing into telephone lines.

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Medic Eugene Roe wrote: One question for the party, though. When the time comes, will we employ TKOH FM or not? I for one, am terrified of it because I'm terrible at flying with it, but on the other hand, pilots like myself would have an excuse (sort of) for crashing into telephone lines.
I guess it would depend on the content added and functionality in our missions (remember the Czech units pack in A2, that added some stuff, but nothing really major).

So the DLC would have to justify itself, because essentially it would provide fancy buttons for the crew, but the rest of the guys wouldn't give a shit, as long as they get safely on the ground.

But hey! time will pass, we'll know more about what they can offer, and I'm sure that if a pack will be chosen, there will be a good reason for it.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

fer

Post by fer »

Kefirz wrote:But hey! time will pass, we'll know more about what they can offer, and I'm sure that if a pack will be chosen, there will be a good reason for it.
This expression of faith in the Party to make the correct decision is exemplary.

Medic Eugene Roe

Post by Medic Eugene Roe »

I'm talking about the flight model, not the helicopters affected by it. What's the correct decision on that? Or would we have to know more still?

Also, technically, wouldn't the guys indeed give a shit, since it affects them by being able to sling load ammo and vehicles for support, and also providing hillbilly fire support by firing off the sides of the chopper?

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Medic Eugene Roe wrote:I'm talking about the flight model, not the helicopters affected by it. What's the correct decision on that? Or would we have to know more still?

Also, technically, wouldn't the guys indeed give a shit, since it affects them by being able to sling load ammo and vehicles for support, and also providing hillbilly fire support by firing off the sides of the chopper?
You are assuming that sling loading / ammo-wastage is dependent on the use of Take-On Helicopter's flight model. At the moment, they've merely outlined their goals and given us a pretty crystal clear look at what they'll be working on in the future, but we have nothing even remotely approximating feature specs, just what they hope to accomplish by a set date and version number.

We've no idea what any of this stuff will ultimately look like, so there's no point making any hard and fast decisions right now. Sometimes the smartest thing to do is hurry up and wait.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Thirith

Post by Thirith »

Can someone give a rough description of how the Take On Helicopters flight model differs from the Arma 3 one?