Introduce yourself

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
Kefirz

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Kefirz »

I must say, it's really interesting to see what people are doing ''behind'' the screen.

Sia, http://translate.google.lv/?hl=en&tab=w ... en/Siaynoq just press the speaker icon :D , sounds like Sia-Nick.

And cheers to SuperU, because looks like that was one great promotional vid he made. :clint:
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

DarkTatka

Post by DarkTatka »

And now my turn ...

Im turning 26, from far flung land (as thekev put it) of Czech Republic. My regular "job" is developing web apps and getting my masters degree in Computer Science, Intelligent systems (university says that 7 years should be enough for anyone for that, but I tend to disagree). I got into flashpoint when I was a lot younger, as it was one of the few really good games with full czech dubbing and everything. I never played it online though. When I saw Arma X on sale some 2 years ago I thought what the hell - and the campaign sucked. I went to the Internet :hist101: to look somewhere to play and somehow I got on trail of Folk. Vanilla game, no strings attached gaming was what I was looking for, since my almostwife (thats how you call the girl after couple of years, right? :D ) was really making a dent in my gaming schedule. So after some detective work I got in touch with Fer, and he invited me to a session. Even with the slight language barrier (not really good in speaking that English jabberish of yours) I really loved it, so I've been coming irregularly for more.

And really, the first session I came because Fer seemed such a nice guy and I didn't want to let him down :) (although mummy warned me against people like him, acting all friendly and shit)

When I'm not playing Arma, I enjoy flying anything with planes in (Il2, DCS, Take on Helicopters, you name it, I probably crashed in it). Too bad I can't get a hang of flying in Arma, you wouldn't get me out of a cockpit. When playing Arma, I usually take Automatic Rifleman or AR Assistant (and dibs on the weapon when AR dies).

Oh and while Im in writting mood, on the topic of my nick:
I really REALLY liked StarWars when I was little. I saw some 20 minutes of it on TV while hiding behind a couch and it got to me. Seriously that guy in black, DarkFather or something, was terrific. So I took his nickname. And some years later when I was 15, and I FINALLY watched the whole movie, It was too late too change my nick. Later guys on TS started calling me Tatka for shorts (Tatka means Father in czech), and I thought what the hell, lets make it easy for them. But I kept the "dark lord" prefix.
Oh, and google pronounces the nick suprisingly well (http://translate.google.lv/?hl=en&tab=w ... /DarkTatka).

DarkTatka

Post by DarkTatka »

Siaynoq wrote: I honestly don't know how to pronounce my nickname (a beer to someone who at least know what it means)
Siaynoq: religious orgiastic, ecstatic sexual experience. Source: http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Siaynoq

I knew I read it somewhere :)
Edit: Now about that beer ... Please enclose a return adress, if there something we can do in our roten part of world its to brew a good one :mrgreen:

Siaynoq

Post by Siaynoq »

DarkTatka wrote:
Siaynoq wrote: I honestly don't know how to pronounce my nickname (a beer to someone who at least know what it means)
Siaynoq: religious orgiastic, ecstatic sexual experience. Source: http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Siaynoq

Edit: Now about that beer ... Please enclose a return adress, if there something we can do in our roten part of world its to brew a good one :mrgreen:
Google and Wikipedia doesn't count! :D
Anyways, Czech beers are premium, and although it might be a blasphemy here, I don't think Guinness is that awesome or something - but hey, if you insist :P Give me your address in a PM :D

(PS: I chose Siaynoq not because of the sexual ritual part (khm.. khm), but because according to God Emperor of Dune, "Siaynoq" means nothing in any of the known and past languages, so there are no "attached feelings and thoughts" connected to it. Well, that's enough for philosophy, let's get down to that RPG shooting range :D )

DarkTatka

Post by DarkTatka »

Siaynoq wrote:
DarkTatka wrote:

PS: I chose Siaynoq not because of the sexual ritual part (khm.. khm)
Right, right, keep telling that and your nose will grow, pinocchio :)

Gummy

Post by Gummy »

Hey there!

So, my name's Gummy (my real name's Charlie but for reasons long since lost I've been known as Gummy for a while among loved ones, at least I think they love me), I'm a 20 year old support/QA/consultant type thing based in the rolling hills of Devon in Blighty (ooo arrr). I played a ton of OpFlash back in the day and missed out on the original Arma simply because I became a console peasant for quite a while. After building a really sweet rig (dude) I finally shelled out for Arma 2 around the time just before DayZ became popular (hipster glasses are on, I'll add), and have been playing it non-stop since (although my Steam profile says I've owned it for mere days, I've had the boxed copy since whenever I previously mentioned, and thus no logged time, boooo).

While I've yet to play any sessions with you guys, I've been following the ARPS bods for a while now (not literally, please don't take a restraining order out) and have always been interested in their open group philosophy, but, I'm ashamed to say, Folk has never managed to make it's way onto my compass until ARPS joined up. So here I am! And hopefully next Tuesday will be my first session (I tried to make the Tuesday just gone but my Arma install broke into 8 million pieces, not my fault, honest), so I'm looking forward to tearing some opfor (or blufor, or whoever gets in my way, team-mates included) ass into the sunset :D

Phew, lots of brackets. Anyhoo, thank you for existing and I'll see you on the battle field!
The man with the golden gum.
Steam

fer

Post by fer »

Do I have to do this in the same Pass Notes style as all the Need to Know threads?
No. Plus, I'm not sure anyone really remembers The Guardian's G2 section from the 1990s (where the Pass Notes style comes from). Maybe Mort remembers. Okay then, what do you want to know?

What's your gaming history?
Hardware-wise, it started in the 1980s with a Spectrum 48k (rubber keys!), before progressing to a BBC Model B, and then an assortment of Apple Macs and PCs. I have owned the odd console (N64 and a PS2), but button-mashing isn't my thing.

Those aren't games! Tell us about the games!
The stand-out is Elite. Original, wireframe Elite on the BBC. Best game ever, for me. Afterwards, I liked Civ2 and Hidden & Dangerous, but serious MP didn't begin for me until 1999, with Half-Life and Counterstrike beta. When OFP arrived I was hooked. When I'm senile, I'll tell the nurses I lived in Montignac.

What's your OFP/ArmAx history?
I played OFP with Germans and Austrians on the Battlefield server, before finding TJ's, where I became part of both the TimeZone Warriors (AKA the Tizzies) and BAS (Ballistic Addon Studios). Via BAS, I also got involved with some VBS1/2 projects. When ArmA came out I began writing and producing the BAS f mission making framework, worked very briefly with Dslyecxi and joined Shack Tactical (eventually becoming an NCO and staff). BAS f became F2 and is still going now - many FA comrades are contributors.

What about the Folk sessions?
I left ST in 2010. I didn't want to stop playing, but as a parent I couldn't commit to any serious group. I also wanted the relaxed-but-organised atmosphere of the sessions Tigershark ran in 2009, and the mid-week EU sessions I helped organise at ST. One night, in a Budapest hotel room, I decided a low friction vanilla session might work; I thought others might enjoy it too (in parallel, the ARPS crew was having pretty much the same idea). After that, I stopped drinking. With Tigershark, Headspace, Xiathorn and G, we set up the Folk sessions, later meeting and teaming-up with the ARPS admins. The Folk sessions ran until the end of 2012, when FA came into being. I kept the dacha.

And what about real life?
I live near London, in a very small house with my wife and children. On paper, I'm an independent consultant, but it's an elastic job description. Mostly, I talk to people in corporations and make diagrams in MS PowerPoint. Often it's interesting, and sometimes I get to go to sunny places like Beirut, where they also fire AKs when they're happy!

:v:

Dannysaysnoo

Post by Dannysaysnoo »

Awright?

I'm Danny, 20 year old Scottish guy. I enjoy long walks through ArmA's enviroments, shooting at barely visible blobs on the horizon, and carrying people on my shoulders heroically.

I bought ArmA2 and it's two expansion in 2011, and I still say the campaign can be quite fun. When DayZ came out, I realized that there might be more to this game than just a campaign. FOLK seemed like the best place to be, so I joined! It's awesome, how nice people actually are.

IRL, I work in a Cineworld, shovelling popcorn, and have distant hopes of being a chopper pilot. It should be easy, my town Aberdeen is oil rich, and needs choppers to ferry people to the rigs. :D

Toppometer

Post by Toppometer »

Since I, vaguely, remember Pass Notes in G2 I guess I'm at the upper end of the age scale here...

I've been gaming for what feels like forever, and also started when rubber was the appropriate material for a keyboard (could anyone actually type on those?). As I advanced from Speccy to PC I became a flightsim junky and dabbled in strategy.

I took a break from gaming, as work and postgrad study took a toll on my free time, but relapsed a couple of years ago when I realised that I was a grown-up and could afford a gaming laptop.

I found ARPS and Folk in February last year and I've been here every since...

IRL I'm in my thirties and work for an international organisation in the Hague (Sadly they don't give us photos of Ban Ki Moon for our offices :(). Outside of gaming and work I spend most of my time doing Family Stuff(TM).

mac-t-71

Post by mac-t-71 »

Hi I'm mac-t-71 and I'm a noob.

I'm going to trump some of you rubber key people as I go right back to the ZX81. I have pretty much owned a computer of one flavor or another since then, its embarrassing that I still know chuff all about how they work after all that time. Made my screen name up on Wings back in 88/89 (thats a guess, my memories old and bent). In those days it was mctavish but Call of Duty screwed that for me so now its mac-t-71.

I joined today after reading the Rock Paper Shotgun piece. First warning: I am a noob at Arma2, played around with the single player and have played a bunch of coop games with a couple of mates but thats it. Second warning if I say frag out assume I mean GRENADE! because thats what will normally happen. Looking forward to joining up with you guys on Tuesdays or Sundays and finding out what I should actually be doing.

Real life stuff, I'll be 42 in a couple of months and I come from Guernsey in the Channel Islands. It may come as a surprise but we arent all minted tax dodgers, alas. My current rig may not pass muster on a sizeable multi player but I have a new mobo and cpu on the way as soon as Dabs pull their fingers out and get it posted. I hope to catch a workshop session and see how the old girl does asap. S!