fa_c72_lightningstrike

Help make Party-approved missions harder
Kefirz

Re: fa_c72_lightningstrike

Post by Kefirz »

I agree with Audio that it was refreshing to use new assets.
In fact, we should do it more often, more attachment use, and motorizing or even mechanizing the platoon. The same basic thing over and over again gets old, and there are so many great assets in A3 that we don't use at all, which is a shame.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Ferrad's point about the terrain in the AO is completely correct though - hence our philosophical difference about dismounting configurations for that mission despite our total agreement about dismounting configurations in general.

Personally, I'm finding that this mission's challanges aren't really of the shooty-shooty kind, they're more of the C&C variety, which is an interesting change, but one that we don't get much practice in outside of the workshops that I still haven't managed to make it to yet (damn you real life, why must you eat so much precious game time?!).

But then again, I'm weird - my favorite parts of this game are the parts where I'm not shooting. I'm basically a pacifist arma player at heart, happiest when just chillin' in a helo somewhere enjoying the positive vibes and waiting to come in and extract people's bottoms from a hot LZ. :dance:

By which I mean, my take on this may not necessarily be of the most value to the Party or the Mission Maker Politburo...

...but I do have this idea for a mission involving lots of helos Eagle, if you're bored :D
I'd do it myself (I even made a start on it) but the new job is eating ALL MY LIFE right now, so I won't get back to it for a while.
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

Thanks for all the feedback guys, its nice to know that people are at least getting some academic enjoyment out of the mission if nothing else.

I think I am in agreement with lots of the points brought up. I do think that the ORBAT is the really fun and original thing here. I'm glad that people seem to like that. Being relatively new to Folk ARPS, I was worried that the motorized elements might be a bit far away from the usual, but at the same time I feel its nice to have something different every now and then. In terms of the CSAT ammo boxes, that is definitely a rookie mistake by me, and I probably should have realised that if you have to put in any extra boxes, then you probably shouldnt have so much enemy armor in the first place.

I the specific problems in this mission were well described by Carson, it all comes down to the terrain and AO that the platoon faces as well as my slightly overzealous placement of reinforcements. I am thinking that what is needed is some separation of terrains. For example ideally the first part of the mission the Hunters can take some ground and use their HMGs, but later when it comes to clearing a base (Im thinking about making a nice big H-bag bunker complex) the hunters will need the infantry to clear the objectives, where a BOF approach will be no good. Next time I sit down with this I am going to try and scout a nice location where those things can happen.

On another note. The mission I am currently working on will probably present an even more hair-pullingly frustrating logistics challenge. Based on blackhawk down, 1 squad in MH9s, 1 squad with 1xHMG hunter and HEMTTs racing into kavala to evac a surrounded squad and destroy their downed ghosthawk. (unfortunately all of my scripts broke on the testing server last week, so I have to fix that). Currently also trying to figure out how not to have the MH9s gunned down by technicals within seconds of entering the AO.

Also Sparks, I am always open to mission ideas, just like any creative thing, sometimes the hardest part of the process is getting the hook for the story you want to tell. Also in ARMA finding nice terrain and AOs can be a pain, as evidenced by this mission. Actually a thread for mission ideas might be a cool idea, has there ever been one? I'm sure some people have great ideas for missions that they don't have time/knowledge/experience to implement themselves. Obviously not every one would be possible or completed, but it might give some of the more regular mission makers good hooks, and let people contribute to the community without needing to commit big chunks of time.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Eagle_Eye wrote:my slightly overzealous placement of reinforcements
Just remember, none of us really expect to survive a Folk ARPS mission :D
And certainly some of the youtube celebrity clans like ShackTac have missions where survival does not seem to be possible and the objective is to see how good a last stand you can pull off (and the chaos they see does look like some fun :D ).

Think of it as the kobayashi armaru :D

PS, check your PMs for the mission idea.
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse