fa3_ax68_appropriation_pt2

Help make Party-approved missions harder
blip2
Host

fa3_ax68_appropriation_pt2

Post by blip2 »

A new mission that was played tonight. Hope you all enjoyed it. The aim was to get some high-tension close forest engagements going.

Things that will be fixed:
- Ending conditions: there were still FIA left.
- Distance for AAF to walk: might make this a bit shorter
- Typo in the briefing (thanks to whoever pointed that out in chat)

Any other suggestions/comments welcome!

audiox
Host

Re: fa3_ax68_appropriation_pt2

Post by audiox »

Fun mission. Difficult terrain to defend properly, but very interesting.

Thoughts :
- Make it so attackfor can repair and run off with the trucks? That way a loss and retake situation might develop.
- A small-ish (2 ppl) recon team for defendfor? Sending a whole section off to look for the bad guys just ain't gonna happen, but sending a recon team or two out to scout might make for an interesting experience.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Fun mission. Personally I thought it showed off FAXORBAT-4B nicely for the defenders because you had more assets to spread out to take control of an approach (and even when that plan inevitably went horribly wrong you didn't lose so many assets that the game was effectively over). I'd agree with audiox's point about scouts though, once you forget about the two-man CO group, you're left with seven-man sections here and either that gives you recon-by-invasion or a hugely dispersed, hard to coordinate section (I had trouble with coordinating mine, and we were only spread over about 50m from one edge to the other in three clumps - two element teams from one section running across several hundred meters of forest and hilltop would probably give the section lead a stroke).

Yeah, the win condition needs a little tweaking, but you know that. It didn't hugely diminish the fun of last night's run though, if that helps.

Nice terrain, nice mix of different kinds of approaches and possible speeds of approach, and non-obvious points of control. I have the feeling that weather and time of day changes will have massive effects on this mission, giving it a lot of repeat playability. Don't really have anything bad to say about it at all.

Insert obligatory expression of hatred for the ACO (green) sights and general dislike of ACO (any colour really) sights in a non-CQB mission setting here and profess preference for the Mk18 holosight.
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

Ill post here just to hopefully give you some motivation blip2.

This mission rocks! But it would rock even more if it was in proper orbat2015 teams too. (More than just the 7-6 man change, there is the binocs for ARs and GPSes and things).
It might be a nice opportunity to add in some toys for the attackfor aswell. I feel like the run last night, with a 1:1 ratio of players and just normal infantry on both sides, could have benefited from a slight attacker advantage. Maybe an MMG team with iron sights or something along those lines. The advantageous defender terrain could even make a strider HMG a nice balanced asset (although maybe the simple infantry squad fighting is what works so well).

Also I want to see pt1!

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

A Strider HMG never is a balanced asset to counter an MMG team. Especially on the defence.

I didn't play this mission, but let it be played a few more times before jumping to changes.
Sometimes plans work and sometimes they don't.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

blip2
Host

Post by blip2 »

Updated, there is also now a Part 1.

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

Hells yeah, looking forward to it!

I didnt mean MMG/strider as a neccessary change to the mission btw. Just a suggestion to maybe add in some toys at the bottom of the slotting (others mentioned a recon team). That way hosts can maybe decide to add in some nice changes depending on numbers and such in the future.

I also wasn't suggesting that an MMG team be paired against a strider. I was more thinking that giving AAF an MMG team or strider might be an idea to allow the attackers a slight advantage to spice up the mission. For some reason I think a strider would be cool, trying to find its way through the woods watching for FIA ambushes. (Im reminded of the cool firefight between infantry and strider in MSR Delfinaki).

blip2
Host

Post by blip2 »

Tbh, the mission can be played so that if AAF move fast enough they either meet FIA on the hills (even footing) or are attacking a defended position downhill which should both give them the advantage. Attackers have won this map just as comprehensivly as the defenders in the past :P