fa3_c34_HSLD

Help make Party-approved missions harder
Eagle_Eye

fa3_c34_HSLD

Post by Eagle_Eye »

Some fantastic OPR8R action.

Nice quick mission.

The AI may have kicked off a little early, I will take a look at it.

Suggestions for more missions in this style, gimme ideas for objectives/enemies/locations.

Kefirz

Re: fa3_c34_HSLD

Post by Kefirz »

I liked it. Well done and thought of, and action packed.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Hands-down, no-shit, the best flying mission for Folk ARPS yet.
Seriously ticked off that my head-tracking kit went to poop the moment we loaded up. Steps shall be taken.

I'd like to run that one two or three more times before changing it utterly. Slightly larger buildings, especially any that we can clear from the top floor down, would be fun LZs, even if we have to add them to the town (hell, that town looks big enough for an office block or a hospital anyway :D )

I didn't think the AI started off particularly early - four HBs with armed troops making an obvious airborne assault should get some response even before we get skids on the ground.

I will say, I think this one could be cinematic as... well, a cinematic thing (I don't do comparisons well). Even with my avatar trying to snap his own neck at the C7 vertebrae for half the mission, I got some interesting moments on this run. Could be a lovely advert for Folk...

And I don't even want to think of how cool the night mission version will be, four HB's full of troops coming in low with 2xAR and 2xR firing full-auto off the skids with lasers on...

But Carson, I'm capping you myself if you say Irene next time you jinxer :D
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

I was the one who called "Irene" over CC Sparks.

I can't not.

Probably what I will do is not change this mission, but maybe make a second mission that has some office blocks.
Now that you say it. Custom building a little town with office blocks might be the way to go with this one, so as to save some of the framerates and avoid Kavala/Pyrgos

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Eagle_Eye wrote:I was the one who called "Irene" over CC Sparks.
Ah, I saw Carson's tag come up but he must have been laughing at you.
Dammit Eagle_Eye! :argh:
Probably what I will do is not change this mission, but maybe make a second mission that has some office blocks.
Now that you say it. Custom building a little town with office blocks might be the way to go with this one, so as to save some of the framerates and avoid Kavala/Pyrgos
Yeah, and the thing with Kavala is that it's hard to find LZs further into the town that are practical. I mean, you can do some seriously tight landings in Kavala with practice:

But that's something you only get if all you fly in is KoTH sessions in Kavala :D The LZs we had on the first run of HSLD were pretty spot-on perfect for a mix of our skill level and our desired degree of awesomeness.

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

Those lzs were exactly why we were in lakka it had a nice mix of open areas and buildings to raid.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Eagle_Eye wrote:Those lzs were exactly why we were in lakka it had a nice mix of open areas and buildings to raid.
Nice choice sir :)

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

I was CO in this yesterday.
  • The briefing talks about "plenty of 5.56" when in fact we had no incoming fire whatsoever from the compounds. Judging by the briefing I was expecting them to be full of EI.
  • 5.56 isn't exactly a non-threatening caliber to a LB, maybe up number of EI but give them 9mm weapons/SMGs?
  • Not much to do for the CO besides drawing out the plan and let SL do their job on the ground. I can get myself up on the tower south of Lakka or just hover in a LB right above it but the first doesn't provide much better intel and the second is a bit explotey. I'd suggest adding an unarmed, circling predator drone to which the CO has access. This provides good intel on the compounds, the CO can make some adjustements on the fly and it allows the mission difficulty to be slightly upped (reinforcements etc.)
  • The reinforcements are plainly visible and mounted up which is a bit immersion breaking. You can use caching to hide/restore them when needed, I've done this in Morning Sortie if you want an example.
  • Not getting fired on from the scary big red circles is a let down. Why not garrison those towns?
Otherwise this was fun but to make this truly HSLD I think the reinforcements need to be much scarier and CO needs better information on the precise danger in the compounds to make a call on where to land.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

+1 for the increase-the-pucker-factor sentiment.

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

All fair points Wolf. Nice to see you back playing to point out all the flaws :P

The overarcing problem with this mission in my view, is that we play it too much. Its really only meant to be run with maybe two birds, 3 max, and not meant to be run with full numbers as it has been.
I deliberately took the view that less pressure on the players would make for a more enjoyable, albeit easier experience. Its supposed to be quick, and only punish players when they make mistakes, not just getting show down out of nowhere by enemies.

Im not sure why you saw the enemies in the towns, or went near them at all and got dissapointed at the lack of enemies. In this case there is no enemies because youre not supposed to be there, and there shouldnt be a need to hide the enemies. That probably just comes down to your own style of playing that conflicts with my style of mission making. Nothing wrong there, the fact this mission has been so successful however and has so many plays, leads me to think that the next mission should be catered more toward an all out larger scale engagement with a bit more danger (or this one could be remade/updated).

I don't know if I have the skill to do that though, Ive been away from the editor for a while now, so Ill have to get back to it with some new missions soon.